The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Majesty

Prince Joachim has more presence, stature and natural authority than Prince Frederik. In my personal opinion that is. But that is useless babbling anyway. No matter a younger sister or brother is more talented, or brighter, or has more charisma, the eldest is the heir, suitable or not.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

That is what I find so fascinating about monarchs. Despite their shortcomings, flaws and mistakes, they almost all try to do their very best. And usually end up doing a pretty good job.

Practically all current monarchs have their weak points and practically all of them have had their abilities seriously questioned when they were heirs.

Several of them have openly confessed being shy, insecure, scared even.

Yet, most of them are pretty popular or at least respected.

The most interesting thing IMO is not their flaws, but how they overcome them. And in that I can reflect myself in them, associate with them. In that way they are humans.
Imagine any of us, "winning the royal lottery" so to speak. With the personality we have, realizing that we are going to be the next head of state. We will get the best possible training, education and grooming, yes - but we all know our shortcomings - yet, we are going to be the one up front. For life!
That is daunting!

That's where it's good to have a solid team behind you. Must make it so much less lonely, so much less scary. It must also help tremendously that today's royals are often close personal friends.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Majesty

Actually, I think Frederik's shyness is something he has really had to work on and he made his biggest leap when he met Mary. Frederik does fine with his contemporaries and is well at ease with his military background but being front and centre is hard for shy people who often end up being perceived as aloof, distant and cold, as Sun Lion mentioned. Yet one only has to see him with Mary and his children to know he is none of those.

Now had the scenario been different and he and Mary were together when they came out to the car, she'd have had his back. When they are together he seems visibly more relaxed and smiles and waves with a lot more ease or more naturally. It's just those walkabout times that don't come naturally to him, he has to work at them.

Joachim is the very epitome of urbane, suave, sophisticated, debonair, etc. He wears clothes well and looks like he belongs in the sophisticated set. Yet I don't find him really warm either, rather distant with a dash of arrogance.

Alighting from cars at official events Joachim exits from the left and Marie steps out onto the red carpet whereas Frederik and Mary follow protocol and she alights from the left and Frederik steps onto the red carpet. That small difference speaks to the gulf between the expectations of both Frederik and Joachim. The older will be doing this for the rest of his life whereas the younger has only to do it on occasion.

Frederik and Mary's twelve and a half year wedding anniversary resulted in many programs and retrospectives and just looking at that period of time you can see that Frederik has really come a long way. But yes, he's still working on it and probably will for the rest of his life.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:56 AM
Courtier

Rumours about Queen Margrethe abdicating...again.

"Tæt På" was the weekly that had the news about PH's burial, which was correct, that the court had to confirm after it hit the news.
Maybe they know something we don't know...

https://kendte.dk/rygter-om-at-dronn...the-abdicerer/

"Rumors that Queen Margrethe abdicates has flourished many times.
They are doing it again but this time it's at the Court, the rumors are swirling, writes the weekly magazine Tæt På.

According to the weekly magazine, the staff are preparing for "a major event" that will be held in August 2018.
There is of course no one who wants to say anything officially but most guess that Queen Margrethe abdicates.

The magazine believes that this time it's not just unfounded rumors, because the timing is perfect. In May, Crown Prince Frederik will be 50 years old. He steps into character at a number of events throughout the spring as the country's crown prince.

And then the court's staff and finance manager Søren Kruse resigns. This means that Frederik can put together his own team. "

Well, perhaps Søren Kruse is retiring.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:39 AM
Majesty

I know it is cursing in a Danish church but indeed an abdication in favour of the Crown Prince who is in the prime of his life is not a bad idea. It will only rejuvenate the monarchy and give chance to the older generation to step back and enjoy pleasant years, as we could see in the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, the Vatican and which we will see indeed in Japan.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Commoner

I hope the Queen won't abdicate before her Golden Jubilee. Such a milestone celebration would tie up her reign very nicely and it would also be a symbolic point to pass on the crown.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Aristocracy

Abdication or no abdication you've got to admit the royal family is in good hands in the good ol' Kingdom of Denmark.

-Frozen Royalist
Old 11-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Court View Post
I hope the Queen won't abdicate before her Golden Jubilee. Such a milestone celebration would tie up her reign very nicely and it would also be a symbolic point to pass on the crown.
In other words, you think that she should stay on until 2022? I think that's quite a lot to ask from a woman who has severe back problems and a sick husband. I know she has a strong sense of duty, but I think that she deserves to slow down a little. Frederik (and Mary) are more than ready. And Margarethe doesn't need to retire full time. Just like princess Beatrix, she could do some assignments now and then. But I think she deserves to slow down.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:28 AM
Heir Apparent

What about the following option: Queen Margrethe steps down from the most of her duties, only appearing on state events like state visits, new years courts or opening of the parliament. She stays Queen to her death. The other engagements will be taken by Frederik, Mary, Joachim and Marie.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

That is the option that is considered the most likely at present. Should QMII decide to "retire".

Personally I think that's an awkward solution. Either you have a full-time monarch or you don't.
M&F would be in a kind of limbo; neither the regent couple nor the CP-couple
Old 12-31-2017, 07:47 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
What about the following option: Queen Margrethe steps down from the most of her duties, only appearing on state events like state visits, new years courts or opening of the parliament. She stays Queen to her death. The other engagements will be taken by Frederik, Mary, Joachim and Marie.
That's my exact vision.

I am about 99,9% sure Crown Prince Frederik will not get the title of King before Queen Margrethe dies. He may act as the regent, and be one unofficially kind of like Frederik VI was unofficial regent for his father Christian VII in his late years when he became to sick to rule. But Queen Margrethe will remain Queen until her death I'm sure.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:03 AM
Majesty

Somehow I don't see her retiring in the near future unless some unforseen health problem forces her to.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:10 AM
Majesty

Never say never. Who would have ever thought the Pope to retire, or the Emperor of Japan, or the King of Spain, or the King of the Belgians? In no any of these examples there was a "tradition" of abdications (contrary to the Nassau-monarchies Netherlands and Luxembourg).
Old 12-31-2017, 08:44 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen herself has said its a job for life "until one falls of the perch" is how I think she put it. As such I don't see her abdicating. I think the option of her handing more and more over to F&M but remaining Queen is the most likely.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

She won't abdicate for sure until the 50the birthday celebration of CP Frederik are over, that would kind of spoil it.

I personally agree with Muhler, the Limbo situation is not good for an over 50 year old CP who is ready and will approach retirement age himself in the next decade. Many examples show that its better to hand over to somebody younger with more physical energy and, more important, who has a more modern mindset/feeling for the people in this rapidly changing world (as modern as an over 50 year old can be, compared to a nearly 80 year old), instead of clinging on to the title while the actual work is done by somebody else who doesn't have the final authority.

Waiting is good up to some point, then it gets more and more pointless, see an almost 70 year old heir in the UK.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Never say never. Who would have ever thought the Pope to retire, or the Emperor of Japan, or the King of Spain, or the King of the Belgians? In no any of these examples there was a "tradition" of abdications (contrary to the Nassau-monarchies Netherlands and Luxembourg).
I certainly agree with that statement. None of us can look into the future and say for certain what will happen anywhere at anytime. Illness, deaths, riots, extreme weather such as floods, fires and tornados can change lives forever within minutes so to say never is not realistic. The Queen will do what and when her conscience deem necessary for her country and herself. I sincerely admire this woman and just feel deeply that she will make the proper decision for her country which she loves dearly.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembra View Post
I wonder if Prince Nicolai will attend this years new years court now that he is 18 years old.

Anybody know?
According to the official guest list from the court he is not listed. Certainly not alongside the other DRF members.
But that may change. So we shall see tonight and hear the explanation I hope.

Because if he is not there, that means Joachim's children IMO are not destined to have a future role in the DRF, apart from attending the occasional family event.
In that case we will have to wait for Christian to turn eighteen before we will see a new face at the New Year Courts.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Courtier

Didn't Joachim indicate that his children would have to build up a life of their own?

Which is logical imo as there is no reason at all why they would fulfill an active royal role in the future (apart from attending some family events). The more interesting question to me would be what the roles will be of Christian's siblings. Will they expect all three of them to have an active royal role, or none, or only Isabella?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Majesty

I think the trend in all royal families is to focus on the families of the current and the future monarchs (and their spouses). The rest of have incidental public roles. That will be the evolution going to 2030 or so I think.

DK
Margrethe & Henrik
Frederik & Mary
Christian & his future spouse

NO
Harald & Sonja
Haakon & Mette-Marit
Ingrid-Alexandra & her future pouse

SWE
Carl XVI Gustaf & Silvia
Victoria & Daniel
Estelle & her future spouse

Etc.

In Norway the brother of the future Queen (Sverre Magnus) is already no HRH anymore. In Spain the sisters of the new King are visibly sidelined. In the Netherlands the nephews and nieces of the King all have no royal title anymore (they are count/countess). Etc. This evolution is visible in all Houses.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Royal Highness

The Royal Houses always give more prominence to the Kings and to the Princes Heirs. I believe that for example the Princess Isabella of Denmark or the Infanta Sofia of Spain or the sisters of Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands will stand out and should be present in important moments of their countries like state banquets and other events. But the heirs will always have more prominence and responsibilities.

Tags
crown prince frederik