The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Serene Highness

Crown prince Frederik and crown princess Mary will be king and queen of Denmark and eventually their children will rule and their son will be known as crown prince Christian of Denmark . I am sure that Frederik will make a great King of denmark.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I would like to ask you members a question.

As you may know one of my pet-opinions is that M&F have taken over from the Regent Couple in most things but name.
Examples: A summer cruise, that apart from Guards Hussars, is identical to a cruise by the Regent Couple.
Normally QMII would rush home when a general election is called, including cancelling something as important as a state visit. This time she just left it to Frederik.
QMII is the commander-in-chief, yet when the navy turned 500 a year ago, she made one appearance and left the rest to M&F, including the highly symbolic naval review.
The regular visits to the Faroese Islands and Greenland are also indentical to the Regent Couple's.
Prince Henrik has basically retired.
Frederik is handling more and more public audiences.
In the documentary, The Kingdom behind the scenes, QMII admitted she is listening more and more to Frederik and allow him to put a significant thumbprint on the events.

Now, my question to you is: Are you in agreement with me? Also in comparison to how other RF's are handling it?
Or am I over-interpreting things?

I will take a backseat in this one and mainly listen with interest to your opinions.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

Now, my question to you is: Are you in agreement with me? Also in comparison to how other RF's are handling it?
Or am I over-interpreting things?.
Speculation here but it seems like Frederik is being given more responsibility to prepare him for the 'top job'. Or maybe M & H just want a rest?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:

As you may know one of my pet-opinions is that M&F have taken over from the Regent Couple in most things but name.
Examples: A summer cruise, that apart from Guards Hussars, is identical to a cruise by the Regent Couple.
Normally QMII would rush home when a general election is called, including cancelling something as important as a state visit. This time she just left it to Frederik.
QMII is the commander-in-chief, yet when the navy turned 500 a year ago, she made one appearance and left the rest to M&F, including the highly symbolic naval review.
The regular visits to the Faroese Islands and Greenland are also indentical to the Regent Couple's.
In the documentary, The Kingdom behind the scenes, QMII admitted she is listening more and more to Frederik and allow him to put a significant thumbprint on the events.

I will take a backseat in this one and mainly listen with interest to your opinions.

I agree with you.

It's perhaps similar to the recent trip of Prince William to New Zealand and Australia (in January 2010, not the one in 2011 which was prompted by William wanting to come over personally) and William and Catherine in Canada earlier this year. While still second in line, Queen Elizabeth is handing over more duties to her heir-of-the-heir.

However just from the information I receive here at TRF and through personal research, I feel Frederik is now more involved in what would generally be the monarch's activities than say Prince Charles or Crown Princess Victoria, as I can't imagine Elizabeth or Carl Gustaf leaving an important role as Margrethe did above to their heir unless they were incapacitated by illness. And Juan Carlos and Harald have only left duties like this to their heirs after major surgeries, etc.

This is solely my opinion though.

I do hope this will put to rest those who constantly say Frederik is one of the least prepared compared to Felipe, Charles, and Haakon.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Aristocracy

To Muhler and UserDane:
as an outsider, I get this very same impression. Perhaps even Frederik hosting the celebration for Baltic independence goes in the same direction.
IMO, QMII's behaviour might have been prompted by both Henrik's practically retiring and Frederik's becoming more and more able to cope with important duties. Both Frederik and Mary seem to be doing quite fine with their increased status, certainly (and obviously, given the age gap...) they are more enrgetic than the Regent Couple.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Nobility

Am I the only one being a little bit concerned as to the health of our Monarch? Or is she merely doing a de facto "Queen Juliana"?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs View Post
Am I the only one being a little bit concerned as to the health of our Monarch? Or is she merely doing a de facto "Queen Juliana"?

Has she been sick recently?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
Has she been sick recently?
That's just what I was thinking?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

That's just what I was thinking?
Isn't she known to be a heavy smoker? That's worrisome
Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Nobility

No not to my knowledge, but she is not 25 anymore, a heavy smoker and had cancer surgery 15 years ago. Oh I'm not trying to be a drama queen, but she herself said several times that she will continue till she drops of the throne.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:

IMO you are over-interpreting things a bit.
I don't think that Frederik&Mary have taken over in most things but name and I also don't think that Prince Henrik has basically retired. He was with the Queen in the USA and in Greenland and he will go to Russia next week. He still has his engagements in Dk and abroad, although fewer than before. I would call it half-retirement.

Queen Margrethe is still very active and present IMO, except when she is on holiday. She seems to have the attitude: Whatever happens during that time, my son and heir is Regent and he can handle it. (I mean how would it look if she rushed back? Wouldn't that make the whole "Regent"-position a bit ridiculous?)

Your examples: To me the summer cruise seemed very similar to those in 2004, 2006 and 2008. AFAIR Frederik&Mary haven't done any regular visits to the Faroese Islands and Greenland except those in the company of the Regent Couple/Queen (Frederik had a few engagements there but no official visit). AFAIR the Regent Couple attended the naval parade and reception, the 2 most important events of the 500th anniversary (but perhaps you mean another event?).

To me it seems the Regent Couple stepped back to a certain amount to let the CP Couple step in/up. F&M certainly have taken over more and more duties and gained more importance in the last years. Currently it seems the two couples are somehow sharing the responsibilites (2 couples - 2 palaces in Amalienborg) - perhaps more so than in other monarchies, except in the Netherlands - but I would say it's 50/50 at the moment, not more.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione

Isn't she known to be a heavy smoker? That's worrisome
I thought she quit when the palace went no smoking?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Nobility

OHHHH but NO. And since it is her own home, noone gets to dictate what one does at home, not even anti-smoking laws applying to public buildings. Allthough I'm sure she respects the law whenever she is out and about.

I for one, would certanly not voluntere for the job of telling her to not smoke in the palace :-)
Old 08-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Courtier

No the Queen will have a cigarette in her hand until her last breath if she can help it!
I realise she's a heavy smoker and isn't young anymore (though 71 is not really old anymore either) but my grandmother is a very heavy smoker, 87, and has no illness related to the smoking so I think we'll have Q Margrethe around for awhile
Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
........ Now, my question to you is: Are you in agreement with me? Also in comparison to how other RF's are handling it?
Muhler - IMO the situation is not entirely clear and unambigous, if you like. The CPLy couple has done at least one Dannebrog-cruise before, right?? And the alarm bells didn't go off at the time, if I rememberl correctly (but I'm not sure that I do !).

My opinion: HM is slowly stepping up the CPly couple, enabling her to take more time out. This has been going on for the past few years, it's nothing unusual! As for now I take it that the couple regent has been hiding in France, it's vacation time and there's also HRH's wine fields to attend to!
If health really is an issue here the one to worry about is Prince Henrik, IMO. BB keeps mentioning that he has trouble walking. Old age is catching up with him...

Viv
Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Administrator

IMO Fred and Mary are picking up more responsibilities and that is no more different in Denmark than other countries. Royals unlike you and I (or can't afford to retire) don't really have the option of "retiring" unless you count Juliana in the Netherlands where she abdicated. But I don't think she stopped working per se. So royals don't retire, they just cut back their activities.

As the Queen and DoE are getting older, you can see Charles and Camilla picking up more responsibilities. I would say the same with Beatrix (except she has WA and Maxima traveling with her). One wonders how it would have been if Claus had lived longer (but thats the topic of another thread).

I can honestly see Fred and Mary doing more international traveling on behalf of the Queen and Henrik. That get very tiring whether you are young or old, or just inbetween.

And lets not forget that Joachim did some significant traveling this year as well, if I am not mistaken.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Courtier

It seems to me they've been doing a gradual transition over the past couple of years. I'm sure Queen Margrethe can see, as many people have remarked on, that Frederik and Mary make an extremely good team. The Queen and Prince Consort are getting older, they've both had health conditions that have been made public and may well have some issues we don't know about - they may not have the energy and stamina needed to go full out anymore.

I think doing things gradually like that makes the most sense and it seems to me that most of the royal families take that approach. In the UK The Prince of Wales has played a prominent role for many years now, but I did notice that the announcement that Prince Phillip was going to be cutting back a bit with some of his patronages, (at 90 years old!), coincided nicely, and probably not entirely coincidentally, with Prince William marrying Kate Middleton. I would expect the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to play a more and more prominent role over the next couple of years, and if QEII enjoys the same long life her mother did I think there will come a time when Charles and Camilla are the de facto regent couple.

I guess for all of the families things really vary depending on how long the monarch lives and what kind of health they enjoy in their old age. 75 or 80 years old looks very different on different people.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Royal Highness

women tend to live longer than man, but thats a whole new topic.

as for this matter, a ederly monarch doesnt necessary pass on more duties to the heir just because he is sick or dying.
its USUAL in ALL monarchies, that a King/Queen when is old enough, makes the heir work harder on their belief. In case, age makes a trick and takes the life of the monarch, the heir is full ready take their place!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
No the Queen will have a cigarette in her hand until her last breath if she can help it!
I realise she's a heavy smoker and isn't young anymore (though 71 is not really old anymore either) but my grandmother is a very heavy smoker, 87, and has no illness related to the smoking so I think we'll have Q Margrethe around for awhile
I hope so.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Gentry

The Danish monarchy seems liberal enough and in tune with the country enough to survive. I would love to see a Frederick X (the current crown prince) and even a Christian XI (his son). This is the oldest monarchy in Europe, the family are decent and open, and they are liked enough by the Danes to warrent keeping around.

Tags
crown prince frederik