The Family of Countess Alexandra - The Manleys

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, many Foreign expats and Eurasians born in Hong Kong do not speak Cantonese at all (some do of course). In Hong Kong island where most non-Chinese live, you can definitely get away with speaking only English.

I am American and My Dutch husband got around Hong Kong for 3 years with only English with no problems. I knew many Hong Kong-born Brits and Eurasian who spoke no Cantonese.

Herr Heinz Nowotny

Frau Gerda Nowotny

Herr Christian Nowotny

Frau Martina Nowotny

Herr Klaus Heidinger

Frau Michaela Heidinger

Name of some of Alexandra Austrian family members, but I don't know how they are related to Alex.

Originally posted by pepperann@May 18th, 2004 - 3:54 am
Princess Alexandra's parents were invited to the wedding too...didn't see them in any pix until this one.

http://i2-images.tv2.dk/s/90/152790-95d8b0...dc0e9b0a00.jpeg
There was at Polfoto that I saw too. I thought someone had posted them in the Wedding forum? If not, if you go through the wedding pictures at Polfoto there is a full length one of Alexandra's parents entering the palace for the receptioin. Alexandra's mother is in a light blue dress.

a german magazine said that maybe alexandra was expecting her third child

Princess Alexandra's parents were invited to the wedding too...didn't see them in any pix until this one.

They also attended the performance at The Royal Theatre Thursday night. I saw them at the TV-transmission.

Originally posted by Alexandria+May 18th, 2004 - 8:29 am (Alexandria @ May 18th, 2004 - 8:29 am)
Originally posted by pepperann@May 18th, 2004 - 3:54 am

http://i2-images.tv2.dk/s/90/152790-95d8b0...dc0e9b0a00.jpeg
There was at Polfoto that I saw too. I thought someone had posted them in the Wedding forum? If not, if you go through the wedding pictures at Polfoto there is a full length one of Alexandra's parents entering the palace for the receptioin. Alexandra's mother is in a light blue dress.
Oic...didn't see that pic..thx Alexandria! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by carlota@May 18th, 2004 - 3:11 pm
a german magazine said that maybe alexandra was expecting her third child
That rumour is always around :lol: It has been in the Danish media too. Every time she makes an appearence at an event all eyes are directed at her stomach.

This is a chapter from the book Alexandra written in 1998. Translation from Lotte's Princess Alexandra website. This chapter is about Alexandra's family.

Chapter 4: “It is difficult to say how much is Chinese and how much is European in me. It is all most impossible because my background is so mixed. I have taking the best of both parts,” she said. “Technically, I am British, because I was born in Hong Kong while it still was a British colony.

My father is half British and half Chinese with Persian inheritance.

My mother is Austrian with Polish inheritance,” Alexandra said.

“I have lived part of my life in Hong Kong where I got the Asian influence.

But then again also the European influence because of my mother.” She said. Her open mind and wanting to talk to other people and wanting to learn new things, is the result of inheritance and upbringing.

“My school was very international.” She said.

In fact, the Island school is not the first school she went to.

Alexandra was only 5 years old when she went to her first day of school.

It was Glenealy Junior School. Then she went to Island School and last high school.

Her teacher from Island school: “She was a very good student, but some times a quiet and shy girl. She was always dressed nice.”

Alexandra Christina Manley was born on June 30, 1964 in Hong Kong.

Time: 11.15 in the afternoon.

Hong Kong had big problems with the water to all the millions of people.

So they had to save on the water. That meant that Christa Manley could only wash the clothes and diapers every 4 days in the first few months of Alexandra’s life.

But the problems could not ruin their joy from the new parents.

They were happy about the new baby who came to the world 1 year after they got married.

The little family lived in the first few years in apartment on Bisney Road in the Pok Van Lam quarters in Hong Kong.

It was also there that Alexandra’s 2 sisters were born.

Christa and Richard Manley made sure to make their children safe and happy. In the first few years of Alexandra’s life her mother was home with her. But as a 5 year old, she went to school and little sister Tina was a few months old, was taking care of by a Chinese nanny while their mother went back to work.

“The nanny took good care of us, and she was very strict,” said Alexandra.

Alexandra remembers her up bringing as happy and exciting.

They kept a close contract to the family in England and Austria.

Alexandra remembers the summer holidays as something special.

“We lived in the country, and to see a cow or see a chicken lay an egg was an exciting thing for us,” Alexandra said.

Her very first trip to Europe went to Austria was a 3 year old to celebrate Christmas with family.

For Alexandra who never had seen snow before she said “I ate the snow.”

When Alexandra was 18 years old, she started on a new education to study economics in Austria.

She lived with her grandmother Mathilde. “I learned a lot from her,” Alexandra said. Her grandmother passed away soon after Alexandra left.

After coming home to Hong Kong she got a job at a travel agency.

That job lead her to Japan. After a few months in Japan, she could speak Japanese. Alexandra has always been good at languages.

After the homecoming from Japan she worked on the exchange market for 4 years.

Then she moved to England for 1 year to study at the London School of Economics.

Back in Hong Kong after that, she got a job at GT Management on Exchange Square in Hong Kong.

At first she was an assistant, and she worked hard and she became popular with her workers.

“I am used to speaking with a lot of people at once. That’s why I was not nervous when I met the press at my engagement,” she said.

Richard Manley, who with his family, moved to Hong Kong in 1948 from Shanghai, China.

Alexandra’s father worked in insurance until the 1990’s and got his pension.

Her mother worked for the British Airways when back in late 1950’s

She met Richard Manley.

She stopped working in 1998 for “German Communications.”

They moved from Hong Kong to Austria.

Nicola who gave birth to a daughter 2 weeks before Alexandra’s wedding in November 1995, likes to play hockey when she can.

Nicola who was born on June 23, 1967 was the one who got married first.

Alexandra’s youngest sister Martina was born on December 11, 1969.

She works as a physiotherapist in Hong Kong.

As for Alexandra, she took her new job with a smile and she never complained. She once got a lot of kisses on her cheek from a small group of mentally handicapped people who were happy to meet the Princess. She lost her hat when she got the hugs from them and laughed. “I love to work,” she said once.

“I would like to represent Denmark and do a good job,” she said.

End of part 4.

What are the names of Alex's grandparents? (does anybody know Alex's grandparents from her dad's side, and those from her mum's side?)

I think Mr.Manley's father's name was Willian or Nigel. And Mrs. Manley's mother's name was Mathilde.

Alexandra's grandfather was named William. Joachim and she gave Nikolai his name. Nikolai William Alexander Frederik. :)

Thanks very much for the info!

I wish there was a family tree though. I want to know more about Alex's grandparents - nobody ever knows much about the grandparents. If you do, can you identify whether it is the maternal or paternal grandparents and their surnames (I don't know the family name of Alex's Chinese relatives)?

Alexandra's mother's last name Nowotny( Polish) means "Newman when translated.

sky said:
Thanxs for the pictures, I've never seen the last one before, it's so cute. Alexandra looks like she could be the youngest sister, not the oldest.
Yeah, at least she's the most attractive of them all.

moosey60 said:
Alexandra's grandfather was named William. Joachim and she gave Nikolai his name. Nikolai William Alexander Frederik. :)
Do´t you think that the reason for them to give ther first chiled the name William is beceaus that ther is a prince William in England ??

No, I read somewhere that they gave Nikolai the name because it was the name of Alexandra's grandfather. I don't think they jumped on the Prince William bandwagon. :)

How did Princess Alexandra & Prince Joachim meet?

ingenue said:
can someone recap how she and the prince met and fell in love? also notice how different she looks now. when she just got married, she looked so chinese. but now she looks real eurasian!
:) :p
I always wanted to know this!

Did Alexandra graduate college? It says she went for one year in someof these posts

yeadonite said:
I always wanted to know this!

Did Alexandra graduate college? It says she went for one year in someof these posts
I found it in Kongehuset official site

Princess Alexandra attended Quarry Bay Junior School in the years 1969-1971, Glenealy Junior School 1971-1974 and Island School 1974-1982, all in Hong Kong. After having finalised general schooling, the Princess completed an international business education. In the period 1983-1984, Princess Alexandra studied at Wirtschaftsuniversität in Vienna. In the years 1984-1986, the Princess was a student in Tokyo. In 1989-90, the Princess studied in London.

Alexandra went to the London school of econonics and she was a stockbroker in Tokyo.

I've read somewhere that Alexandra's mother is half-Austrian half-Polish. Is that true?

Anna Nowak said:
I've read somewhere that Alexandra's mother is half-Austrian half-Polish. Is that true?

As the post was moved to the thread about Alexandra's family, here's a quote from the exerpt translated above:

My mother is Austrian with Polish inheritance,” Alexandra said.

I remember an interview in which Alexandra had said she just came from four hours of cantonese - so I think that we can assume that while she doesn't speak it natively, she is learning.

As for grandparrents, I asume we are talking about Alexandra's parents, they are as far as I know, still living in one of the old houses at Schackenborg and has said that they have no wish to move. And Joachim seams to be happy with that arengement aswell.

Thanks for explaining about Schackenborg. Thank you also to RubyPrincess.
About Alexandra's parents, I was sure they had left Schackenborg to live nearer to Alexandra in the Copenhagen area. I read this sometime ago in BT. But I could also remember it only vaguely or inaccurately, so I'm not saying you aren't correct. This is just what I remember, and it makes sense to me, as it seems reasonable that they would want to be close not only to Alexandra, their daughter, but to their grandchildren. All the same, I can imagine that both of us are correct in a way: that they have a house in town as well as keeping the Schackenborg house. It is nice of Joachim to let them still use Schackenborg, in any case, if that is the case. I mean, he certainly doesn't have to do that, and I'm sure many ex-husbands wouldn't like to do that, especially bringing a new wife onto the scene. So if this is the case, it speaks well of both Joachim and Marie. :flowers:

Thanks for explaining about Schackenborg. Thank you also to RubyPrincess.
About Alexandra's parents, I was sure they had left Schackenborg to live nearer to Alexandra in the Copenhagen area. I read this sometime ago in BT. But I could also remember it only vaguely or inaccurately, so I'm not saying you aren't correct. This is just what I remember, and it makes sense to me, as it seems reasonable that they would want to be close not only to Alexandra, their daughter, but to their grandchildren. All the same, I can imagine that both of us are correct in a way: that they have a house in town as well as keeping the house. It is nice of Joachim to let them still use Schackenborg, in any case, if that is the case. I mean, he certainly doesn't have to do that, and I'm sure many ex-husbands wouldn't like to do that, especially bringing a new wife onto the scene. So if this is the case, it speaks well of both Joachim and Marie. :flowers:

Everything I have heard, and also confirmed in the last article I could find about the subject from this summer, they still live at Schackenborg withno plans of moving, partly because they love the area and prtly because of Richard Manley's pour health. He is apparently suffereing from heart problem and has problems walking. Alexandre stays with them, when she is at Schackenborg...

Everything I have heard, and also confirmed in the last article I could find about the subject from this summer, they still live at Schackenborg withno plans of moving, partly because they love the area and prtly because of Richard Manley's pour health. He is apparently suffereing from heart problem and has problems walking. Alexandre stays with them, when she is at Schackenborg...
I think it was actually mentioned at the engagement press conference that Mr. and Mrs Manley are planning to move out; think it was discussed here at TRF as well just after the engagement was announce.

It does seem to say here that while the Manleys did stay for about the past three years at Schackenborg, there are now "problems" with the situation. (BT, June 2007)

Then Politiken (October 2007) seems to say here that the Manleys are still there for now, but have plans to leave.
The articles seem to be blaming Marie for the change in the situation, for the "problems," whatever they are. It is probably for the better, imho, for everyone. The Manleys surely have the means to have their own home.

It does seem to say here that while the Manleys did stay for about the past three years at Schackenborg, there are now "problems" with the situation. (BT, June 2007)

Actually it doesnt really say that. It speculates - "it" being the media - that there might someday in the future be some problem with the arengement and that people are wondering why they are still living there. It is "If" and "If" all over again, and doesn't mean there is a problem with the situation.

Then Politiken (October 2007) seems to say here that the Manleys are still there for now, but have plans to leave.
The articles seem to be blaming Marie for the change in the situation, for the "problems," whatever they are. It is probably for the better, imho, for everyone. The Manleys surely have the means to have their own home.

Okay, I didn't see that one, as I don't read Politiken. But I dont really see how they blame Maria for the situation. The whole situation with them there has worked when he was singe, but now things have changed. And apparently this is their decision. And as he says, thre is no big rush.

I am not aware of their finansil sitution, but it is not my understanding that the family was ever a wealthy one, but simply that they had great education, great jobs and worked hard. When you stop working, the income tends to dry out and I honestly dont think they have alot of money...

I think it was actually mentioned at the engagement press conference that Mr. and Mrs Manley are planning to move out; think it was discussed here at TRF as well just after the engagement was announce.

Okay, I was not aware of that. Whenever these big things happen, I normally don't follow things that closely, as the whole media blitz is a little to much for me. :eek: Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it doesnt really say that. It speculates - "it" being the media - that there might someday in the future be some problem with the arengement and that people are wondering why they are still living there. It is "If" and "If" all over again, and doesn't mean there is a problem with the situation.
Yes, the BT article is definitely speculative in the biggest "if" way. There is a lot of supposition going on there.
Okay, I didn't see that one, as I don't read Politiken.
Nor I. I had only found it on a Google search. :D
But I dont really see how they blame Maria for the situation. The whole situation with them there has worked when he was singe, but now things have changed. And apparently this is their decision. And as he says, thre is no big rush.

I am not aware of their finansil sitution, but it is not my understanding that the family was ever a wealthy one, but simply that they had great education, great jobs and worked hard. When you stop working, the income tends to dry out and I honestly dont think they have alot of money...

I don't understand how they can assume it's Marie's fault either. But I am not surprised that the articles point the finger at her, because doesn't the woman, or the new wife, usually get the blame? Sometimes the blame is deserved, but not always, and it's fair to say that Marie is not in a very powerful position at this point. The idea of her wielding this much power over this situation is, I think, giving her too much credit.
I thought before that the Manleys were wealthy, but I guess I only thought so because of their nice education, jobs, but it seems that you are saying that they were just a working rich, now retired, and don't necessarily have a great fortune built up, and of course I can't argue because I have no idea.
All the same, they will be fine. If they have a difficulty, I'm sure their daughter has abilities & ample willingness to be of assistance. :)

Actually the articles does not blame Marie at all.

Back
Top Bottom