The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Nobility

I think Mr.Manley's father's name was Willian or Nigel. And Mrs. Manley's mother's name was Mathilde.

Old 05-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Courtier

Alexandra's grandfather was named William. Joachim and she gave Nikolai his name. Nikolai William Alexander Frederik. :)

Old 06-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Courtier

Thanks very much for the info!

I wish there was a family tree though. I want to know more about Alex's grandparents - nobody ever knows much about the grandparents. If you do, can you identify whether it is the maternal or paternal grandparents and their surnames (I don't know the family name of Alex's Chinese relatives)?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Nobility

Alexandra's mother's last name Nowotny( Polish) means "Newman when translated.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Thanxs for the pictures, I've never seen the last one before, it's so cute. Alexandra looks like she could be the youngest sister, not the oldest.
Yeah, at least she's the most attractive of them all.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Courtier

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey60
Alexandra's grandfather was named William. Joachim and she gave Nikolai his name. Nikolai William Alexander Frederik. :)
Do´t you think that the reason for them to give ther first chiled the name William is beceaus that ther is a prince William in England ??

Old 09-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Courtier

No, I read somewhere that they gave Nikolai the name because it was the name of Alexandra's grandfather. I don't think they jumped on the Prince William bandwagon. :)
Old 09-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Commoner

How did Princess Alexandra & Prince Joachim meet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue
can someone recap how she and the prince met and fell in love? also notice how different she looks now. when she just got married, she looked so chinese. but now she looks real eurasian!
:-) :P
I always wanted to know this!

Did Alexandra graduate college? It says she went for one year in someof these posts
Old 09-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeadonite
I always wanted to know this!

Did Alexandra graduate college? It says she went for one year in someof these posts
I found it in Kongehuset official site

Princess Alexandra attended Quarry Bay Junior School in the years 1969-1971, Glenealy Junior School 1971-1974 and Island School 1974-1982, all in Hong Kong. After having finalised general schooling, the Princess completed an international business education. In the period 1983-1984, Princess Alexandra studied at Wirtschaftsuniversität in Vienna. In the years 1984-1986, the Princess was a student in Tokyo. In 1989-90, the Princess studied in London.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Nobility

Alexandra went to the London school of econonics and she was a stockbroker in Tokyo.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Commoner

I've read somewhere that Alexandra's mother is half-Austrian half-Polish. Is that true?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Nowak
I've read somewhere that Alexandra's mother is half-Austrian half-Polish. Is that true?
As the post was moved to the thread about Alexandra's family, here's a quote from the exerpt translated above:

Quote:
My mother is Austrian with Polish inheritance,” Alexandra said.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

I remember an interview in which Alexandra had said she just came from four hours of cantonese - so I think that we can assume that while she doesn't speak it natively, she is learning.

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricota View Post
As for grandparrents, I asume we are talking about Alexandra's parents, they are as far as I know, still living in one of the old houses at Schackenborg and has said that they have no wish to move. And Joachim seams to be happy with that arengement aswell.
Thanks for explaining about Schackenborg. Thank you also to RubyPrincess.
About Alexandra's parents, I was sure they had left Schackenborg to live nearer to Alexandra in the Copenhagen area. I read this sometime ago in BT. But I could also remember it only vaguely or inaccurately, so I'm not saying you aren't correct. This is just what I remember, and it makes sense to me, as it seems reasonable that they would want to be close not only to Alexandra, their daughter, but to their grandchildren. All the same, I can imagine that both of us are correct in a way: that they have a house in town as well as keeping the Schackenborg house. It is nice of Joachim to let them still use Schackenborg, in any case, if that is the case. I mean, he certainly doesn't have to do that, and I'm sure many ex-husbands wouldn't like to do that, especially bringing a new wife onto the scene. So if this is the case, it speaks well of both Joachim and Marie.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Thanks for explaining about Schackenborg. Thank you also to RubyPrincess.
About Alexandra's parents, I was sure they had left Schackenborg to live nearer to Alexandra in the Copenhagen area. I read this sometime ago in BT. But I could also remember it only vaguely or inaccurately, so I'm not saying you aren't correct. This is just what I remember, and it makes sense to me, as it seems reasonable that they would want to be close not only to Alexandra, their daughter, but to their grandchildren. All the same, I can imagine that both of us are correct in a way: that they have a house in town as well as keeping the house. It is nice of Joachim to let them still use Schackenborg, in any case, if that is the case. I mean, he certainly doesn't have to do that, and I'm sure many ex-husbands wouldn't like to do that, especially bringing a new wife onto the scene. So if this is the case, it speaks well of both Joachim and Marie.
Everything I have heard, and also confirmed in the last article I could find about the subject from this summer, they still live at Schackenborg withno plans of moving, partly because they love the area and prtly because of Richard Manley's pour health. He is apparently suffereing from heart problem and has problems walking. Alexandre stays with them, when she is at Schackenborg...
Old 10-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Everything I have heard, and also confirmed in the last article I could find about the subject from this summer, they still live at Schackenborg withno plans of moving, partly because they love the area and prtly because of Richard Manley's pour health. He is apparently suffereing from heart problem and has problems walking. Alexandre stays with them, when she is at Schackenborg...
I think it was actually mentioned at the engagement press conference that Mr. and Mrs Manley are planning to move out; think it was discussed here at TRF as well just after the engagement was announce.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM

It does seem to say here that while the Manleys did stay for about the past three years at Schackenborg, there are now "problems" with the situation. (BT, June 2007)

Then Politiken (October 2007) seems to say here that the Manleys are still there for now, but have plans to leave.
The articles seem to be blaming Marie for the change in the situation, for the "problems," whatever they are. It is probably for the better, imho, for everyone. The Manleys surely have the means to have their own home.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It does seem to say here that while the Manleys did stay for about the past three years at Schackenborg, there are now "problems" with the situation. (BT, June 2007)
Actually it doesnt really say that. It speculates - "it" being the media - that there might someday in the future be some problem with the arengement and that people are wondering why they are still living there. It is "If" and "If" all over again, and doesn't mean there is a problem with the situation.

Quote:
Then Politiken (October 2007) seems to say here that the Manleys are still there for now, but have plans to leave.
The articles seem to be blaming Marie for the change in the situation, for the "problems," whatever they are. It is probably for the better, imho, for everyone. The Manleys surely have the means to have their own home.
Okay, I didn't see that one, as I don't read Politiken. But I dont really see how they blame Maria for the situation. The whole situation with them there has worked when he was singe, but now things have changed. And apparently this is their decision. And as he says, thre is no big rush.

I am not aware of their finansil sitution, but it is not my understanding that the family was ever a wealthy one, but simply that they had great education, great jobs and worked hard. When you stop working, the income tends to dry out and I honestly dont think they have alot of money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
I think it was actually mentioned at the engagement press conference that Mr. and Mrs Manley are planning to move out; think it was discussed here at TRF as well just after the engagement was announce.
Okay, I was not aware of that. Whenever these big things happen, I normally don't follow things that closely, as the whole media blitz is a little to much for me. Thanks...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Actually it doesnt really say that. It speculates - "it" being the media - that there might someday in the future be some problem with the arengement and that people are wondering why they are still living there. It is "If" and "If" all over again, and doesn't mean there is a problem with the situation.
Yes, the BT article is definitely speculative in the biggest "if" way. There is a lot of supposition going on there.
Quote:
Okay, I didn't see that one, as I don't read Politiken.
Nor I. I had only found it on a Google search.
Quote:
But I dont really see how they blame Maria for the situation. The whole situation with them there has worked when he was singe, but now things have changed. And apparently this is their decision. And as he says, thre is no big rush.

I am not aware of their finansil sitution, but it is not my understanding that the family was ever a wealthy one, but simply that they had great education, great jobs and worked hard. When you stop working, the income tends to dry out and I honestly dont think they have alot of money...
I don't understand how they can assume it's Marie's fault either. But I am not surprised that the articles point the finger at her, because doesn't the woman, or the new wife, usually get the blame? Sometimes the blame is deserved, but not always, and it's fair to say that Marie is not in a very powerful position at this point. The idea of her wielding this much power over this situation is, I think, giving her too much credit.
I thought before that the Manleys were wealthy, but I guess I only thought so because of their nice education, jobs, but it seems that you are saying that they were just a working rich, now retired, and don't necessarily have a great fortune built up, and of course I can't argue because I have no idea.
All the same, they will be fine. If they have a difficulty, I'm sure their daughter has abilities & ample willingness to be of assistance.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Actually the articles does not blame Marie at all.

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, princess alexandra