The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Gentry

I saw an TV interview with Alexandra. She speaks some cantonese but does not speak it fluently. I lived in Hong Kong for a number of years. You do not need to speak chinese in Hong Kong b/c most people can speak english

Old 12-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Commoner

I see I started a lively discussion here. But I have a feeling that what I really want to know is information that cannot be easily obtained, such as who was Alex's grandmother? Does Alex have any Chinese relatives in Asia who know about her? How strongly does Alex identify with her Asian side? Have the Danish, whether personally or publicly, had to get used to some of Alex's Asian traits/behaviors, etc.? I guess I'm just interested in any Asian issue that could possibly be related to Alex. Sigh...the things I think of when I'm awake at night!

Old 12-04-2003, 05:51 PM
Courtier

Don't Alexandra's parents live in Denmark now? Somewhere on the grounds of Shackenburg? 'Cause Richard was there with Nikolai and Felix when Margarethe announced Frederik's engagement. He's also been seen walking with Nikolai...he was with Nikolai and Joachim at some festival?
Old 12-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Nobility

I think that alex was born in HK, but hk was under british control so the citizens were born british.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Courtier

http://kongehuset.dk/artikel.php?dogtag=kh_en_rf_pa

Alexandra Christina, Princess of Denmark
Born: 30 June 1964 in Hong Kong
Daughter of Richard Nigel Manley and Christa Maria Manley
Married: 18 November 1995, in the Chapel of Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerød to His Royal Highness Prince Joachim of Denmark
Children: HH Prince Nikolai, born 28 August 1999 and HH Prince Felix, born 22 July 2002
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alexjoachim.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	29709  
Old 12-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Courtier

While we're on the topic of Alexandra being from Hong Kong...

"I miss living in Hong Kong..."

COPENHAGEN, Sept 1 (AFP) - Princess Alexandra, who left her native Hong Kong to marry Denmark's Prince Joachim in 1995, likes her new life in Scandinavia but still misses home terribly, she said in an interview published on Monday.

"When I see a sequence on television showing the Hong Kong waterfront, my heart beats faster. It's a good thing I don't see that too often," she told the free daily MetroXpress on the sidelines of the "Images of Asia" festival currently underway in several Danish cities.

The 39-year-old princess, born Alexandra Manley to a Chinese father and Austrian mother, said the things she misses most about Hong Kong are "the smells, the sounds, the sites, the food and the people", as well as Chinese New Year celebrations.

"I miss the cuisine a lot, even if Asian food is, thank goodness, very popular in Europe, especially in Denmark. But I love black eggs, which you never see in Europe," she said.

A mother of two boys, four-year-old Prince Nikolai and one-year-old Prince Felix, the princess said she hopes her background would somehow be a part of their education.

She would like to see them "learn to appreciate the multicultural life in Asia, the energy and rhythm that characterizes Hong Kong," she said.

"A large part of the Asian population is under the age of 25, which gives young people a lot of influence on music, fashion, trends, almost all areas. And our children must be inspired by this dynamism," she said.

While she enjoys her visits to Hong Kong immensely, the princess, who now speaks Danish fluently, said she has made Denmark her new home.

"Denmark is my life now, my future."

"It is however difficult to never live in Hong Kong again. It was a big decision to leave, but I made that decision and it was my choice," she stressed, adding that "Danes have welcomed me with open arms from the start".

"I can only return their kindness and generosity by saying that I like being in this country, I feel Danish now," she said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FelixNikolai2.jpg
Views:	4871
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	29711  
Old 12-05-2003, 05:40 AM
Courtier

Princess Alex's parents live in Denmark. In Schackenborg Palace. They have a place for themselves. His father was even ill during the past months. I forgot when was that but I think he is now fine.
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 01-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Nobility

Well, I was bored on day and so i decded to up Alex's family tree. I, knew I could'nt it, but I found out her grandfather's name was william even through, alot of people kno that because it's Nilkio's middle name. And I also found that there might be another Richard, that her father, might of been named after. This would be alot more easier if I lived in China or the U.K.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Gentry

can someone recap how she and the prince met and fell in love? also notice how different she looks now. when she just got married, she looked so chinese. but now she looks real eurasian!
:-) :P
Old 02-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Nobility

i was reading an article about alex in hong kong's local paper, where she gave an interview when she visited hong kong i think during november. she had mentioned that she didn't know how to speak neither chinese or mandarin, and that she had regretted it as she had always spoken english with her parents, and that her nanny as a child, though who was a local chinese, spoke excellent english. therefore she never got the chance to learn any chinese.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:32 AM
Gentry

Yes, many Foreign expats and Eurasians born in Hong Kong do not speak Cantonese at all (some do of course). In Hong Kong island where most non-Chinese live, you can definitely get away with speaking only English.

I am American and My Dutch husband got around Hong Kong for 3 years with only English with no problems. I knew many Hong Kong-born Brits and Eurasian who spoke no Cantonese.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Nobility

Herr Heinz Nowotny

Frau Gerda Nowotny

Herr Christian Nowotny

Frau Martina Nowotny

Herr Klaus Heidinger

Frau Michaela Heidinger

Name of some of Alexandra Austrian family members, but I don't know how they are related to Alex.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:54 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Alexandra's parents were invited to the wedding too...didn't see them in any pix until this one.

http://i2-images.tv2.dk/s/90/152790-95d8b0...dc0e9b0a00.jpeg
Old 05-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by pepperann@May 18th, 2004 - 3:54 am
Princess Alexandra's parents were invited to the wedding too...didn't see them in any pix until this one.

There was at Polfoto that I saw too. I thought someone had posted them in the Wedding forum? If not, if you go through the wedding pictures at Polfoto there is a full length one of Alexandra's parents entering the palace for the receptioin. Alexandra's mother is in a light blue dress.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

a german magazine said that maybe alexandra was expecting her third child
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
They also attended the performance at The Royal Theatre Thursday night. I saw them at the TV-transmission.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria+May 18th, 2004 - 8:29 am (Alexandria @ May 18th, 2004 - 8:29 am)
Quote:
Originally posted by pepperann@May 18th, 2004 - 3:54 am

There was at Polfoto that I saw too. I thought someone had posted them in the Wedding forum? If not, if you go through the wedding pictures at Polfoto there is a full length one of Alexandra's parents entering the palace for the receptioin. Alexandra's mother is in a light blue dress.
Oic...didn't see that pic..thx Alexandria!
Old 05-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by carlota@May 18th, 2004 - 3:11 pm
a german magazine said that maybe alexandra was expecting her third child
That rumour is always around It has been in the Danish media too. Every time she makes an appearence at an event all eyes are directed at her stomach.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Nobility

This is a chapter from the book Alexandra written in 1998. Translation from Lotte's Princess Alexandra website. This chapter is about Alexandra's family.

Chapter 4: “It is difficult to say how much is Chinese and how much is European in me. It is all most impossible because my background is so mixed. I have taking the best of both parts,” she said. “Technically, I am British, because I was born in Hong Kong while it still was a British colony.

My father is half British and half Chinese with Persian inheritance.

My mother is Austrian with Polish inheritance,” Alexandra said.

“I have lived part of my life in Hong Kong where I got the Asian influence.

But then again also the European influence because of my mother.” She said. Her open mind and wanting to talk to other people and wanting to learn new things, is the result of inheritance and upbringing.

“My school was very international.” She said.

In fact, the Island school is not the first school she went to.

Alexandra was only 5 years old when she went to her first day of school.

It was Glenealy Junior School. Then she went to Island School and last high school.

Her teacher from Island school: “She was a very good student, but some times a quiet and shy girl. She was always dressed nice.”

Alexandra Christina Manley was born on June 30, 1964 in Hong Kong.

Time: 11.15 in the afternoon.

Hong Kong had big problems with the water to all the millions of people.

So they had to save on the water. That meant that Christa Manley could only wash the clothes and diapers every 4 days in the first few months of Alexandra’s life.

But the problems could not ruin their joy from the new parents.

They were happy about the new baby who came to the world 1 year after they got married.

The little family lived in the first few years in apartment on Bisney Road in the Pok Van Lam quarters in Hong Kong.

It was also there that Alexandra’s 2 sisters were born.

Christa and Richard Manley made sure to make their children safe and happy. In the first few years of Alexandra’s life her mother was home with her. But as a 5 year old, she went to school and little sister Tina was a few months old, was taking care of by a Chinese nanny while their mother went back to work.

“The nanny took good care of us, and she was very strict,” said Alexandra.

Alexandra remembers her up bringing as happy and exciting.

They kept a close contract to the family in England and Austria.

Alexandra remembers the summer holidays as something special.

“We lived in the country, and to see a cow or see a chicken lay an egg was an exciting thing for us,” Alexandra said.

Her very first trip to Europe went to Austria was a 3 year old to celebrate Christmas with family.

For Alexandra who never had seen snow before she said “I ate the snow.”

When Alexandra was 18 years old, she started on a new education to study economics in Austria.

She lived with her grandmother Mathilde. “I learned a lot from her,” Alexandra said. Her grandmother passed away soon after Alexandra left.

After coming home to Hong Kong she got a job at a travel agency.

That job lead her to Japan. After a few months in Japan, she could speak Japanese. Alexandra has always been good at languages.

After the homecoming from Japan she worked on the exchange market for 4 years.

Then she moved to England for 1 year to study at the London School of Economics.

Back in Hong Kong after that, she got a job at GT Management on Exchange Square in Hong Kong.

At first she was an assistant, and she worked hard and she became popular with her workers.

“I am used to speaking with a lot of people at once. That’s why I was not nervous when I met the press at my engagement,” she said.

Richard Manley, who with his family, moved to Hong Kong in 1948 from Shanghai, China.

Alexandra’s father worked in insurance until the 1990’s and got his pension.

Her mother worked for the British Airways when back in late 1950’s

She met Richard Manley.

She stopped working in 1998 for “German Communications.”

They moved from Hong Kong to Austria.

Nicola who gave birth to a daughter 2 weeks before Alexandra’s wedding in November 1995, likes to play hockey when she can.

Nicola who was born on June 23, 1967 was the one who got married first.

Alexandra’s youngest sister Martina was born on December 11, 1969.

She works as a physiotherapist in Hong Kong.

As for Alexandra, she took her new job with a smile and she never complained. She once got a lot of kisses on her cheek from a small group of mentally handicapped people who were happy to meet the Princess. She lost her hat when she got the hugs from them and laughed. “I love to work,” she said once.

“I would like to represent Denmark and do a good job,” she said.

End of part 4.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Courtier

What are the names of Alex's grandparents? (does anybody know Alex's grandparents from her dad's side, and those from her mum's side?)

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, princess alexandra