The Danish Orders and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isabella will more than likely get her monogram when she turns 18, like Nikolai and Felix will :)

Isabella will more than likely get her monogram when she turns 18, like Nikolai and Felix will :)

So Christian got his know because he is third in line? I didn't realize they had to wait.

Marie's monogram

I know, I'm always asking about monograms (still waiting for Isabella's)... :whistling: But still... Where's Marie's?

I can't remember for the life of me whether Alexandra got hers right after the wedding or not, but it feels strange that Joachim and Marie have a shared monogram but she doesn't have her own yet. Has the queen become cautious after the breakup of Joachim's first marriage or is Marie going to have a different role or position than Alex?

Do you think Isabella's monogram will resemble the late Queen Ingrid's monogram? since both begin with a I.

I don't think Isabella, Nikolia or Felix will get their monograms until they are 18. Frederik and Joachim both got theirs at 18 (right?)

I highly agree ... where is Marie's monogram. I think the M looks to similar to Mary's monogram, maybe the Queen add some curls or something - time will tell:whistling::flowers:

I am surprised that we have not seen a monogram for Marie yet. They will be married six months this November. Did Alexandra wait as long before she received hers?

Well I'm not sure of the precedent but I think that she ought to have one by Christmas/New Year. By her first wedding anniversary at the latest.

I'm thinking that it's taking so long because they're trying to figure out how to set Marie's apart from Mary's. That's just IMO

I'm thinking that it's taking so long because they're trying to figure out how to set Marie's apart from Mary's. That's just IMO

You have an excellent point, acdc1. It will be interesting to see how this is done. Queen Margarethe is very talented, so I am sure that she will come up with something interesting.

From what I understand, Queen Margrethe designs her family's monograms. Does any other monarch from other countries design their own family's too? Or is Margrethe the only one?

I have only heard that they have influence, rather than heard "HM designed that", but its not a primary interest of mine, so could very easily be wrong.

I believe Queen Margrethe is the only royal with artistic abilities. It may be true that she designed the monograms.
I believe she designed costumes for theater, she paints as well.
I know Prince Charles also paints but the Queen is more involved with the arts. Can our Danish friends help?

I don't think that any other monarchs specifically design their monograms, they will no doubt have some form of say in the matter, but Margrethe is the only one I know of that actually designs (start to finish) the thing.
She also, if my memory serves me correctly, designed the monograms for Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway

She also, if my memory serves me correctly, designed the monograms for Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway
Wow I didnt have a clue about that! I think thats quite neat.

I don't think that any other monarchs specifically design their monograms, they will no doubt have some form of say in the matter, but Margrethe is the only one I know of that actually designs (start to finish) the thing.

Really? This is the first time that I have heard about this. I think it is wonderful. She is very talented.

Queen Margrethe does design all the monograms for the Danish royal family.

This is quoted from the Crown Princely website:
"The monograms of Their Royal Highnesses are designed by Her Majesty The Queen of Denmark."

So this must mean Mary, Frederik and Christian's monograms were designed by the Queen . Prince Christian's monogram was released with a statement from June 2006.

On the Danish Royal website it states that Prince Joachim helped design his joint monogram with Marie with the help of Ronny Anderson. The site quotes: " Fællesmonogrammet er tegnet af H.K.H. Prins Joachim med heraldisk bistand af kongelig våbenmaler Ronny Andersen."

I wonder if the fact that Marie hasn't yet had any solo engagements has anything to do with her remaining without a monogram. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that Alex is still the patron of 12 charity causes and I would think she uses hers in them.

I don't know, I'm just speculating. It seems highly unlikely that Her majesty the Queen would be thinking "I'm not designing her a monogram before she starts doing some work and before Alex stops acting like a princess!!" :lol: I don't think they also have a rule on how many monograms there can be sported around. It is just still a bit weird that princess Isabella and princess Marie haven't got monograms. Even Sverre of Norway has one! I wonder if the fact that Marie is going to have her first solo engagement soon and the fact that she's expecting might change this.

OT: BTW, Why don't Joachim and Marie have their own webpages like the Crown Prince couple? I wish they did..

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Marie will probably receive her monogram very soon. She is expecting, and she is performing her first solo engagement. I can't wait to see what Queen Margarethe designs for her.

The Queen didn't design Marie's monogram? :ermm: I find that quite odd, she's designed pretty much all the family's monograms (bar the Joachim and Marie joint monogram)

I like this monogram. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it is very nice. I am also surprised that the Queen didn't design this monogram.

I am surprised as well because I thought the Queen designed everyone's monogram in the family. Now I wonder if Princess Isabella's monogram will be designed by the Queen or someone else?

I am surprised as well because I thought the Queen designed everyone's monogram in the family. Now I wonder if Princess Isabella's monogram will be designed by the Queen or someone else?

I wondered that also. Has the Queen retired from monogram designing? I was wondering if a reason had been given as to why she didn't design Marie's monogram?

The Queen didn't design Marie's monogram? :ermm: I find that quite odd, she's designed pretty much all the family's monograms (bar the Joachim and Marie joint monogram)

Well, she didn't do Joachim and Alexandra's mutual and separate ones either, as Joachim is responsible for them. :flowers:

It's a simple, and stylish, monogram, I think. Font-wise it is a bit similar to Prince Henrik's. And I like that the first part of the M is a bit thinner than the rest of it.

Maybe Princess Marie liked designing it herself.

She didn't design it. It was designed by Ronny Andersen. I am not sure if Marie had input regarding the monogram. From what I have read, it sounds like the artist was completely responsible for the design.

Last edited:
Hey, does anyone have the late King Frederik's Monogram? like on a letter head or something similar?

thanks in advanced:flowers::)

Hey, does anyone have the late King Frederik's Monogram? like on a letter head or something similar?

thanks in advanced:flowers::)

Yes I do but I'm having trouble cutting and pasting it here!
:bang:If anyone can help that would be great. In the meantime, his monogram was two entwined initial F (similar to KP Frederik's initials but more ornate) with an anchor behind the initials topped with a crown.

Back
Top Bottom