The Danish Orders and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So why was it then not also given to Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine of Sweden. Both are also born royals and have the same status as children of a Monarch.

When was her majesty's last state visit to Sweden and when was her last state visit to Norway. My guess would be that Märtha Louise was present in Norway (is it must have been after Harald ascended the throne in 1991) while Carl Philip and Madeleine were most likely not 'of age' (or even born) during Margrethe's statevisit to Sweden earlier in her reign.

Märtha-Louise received the Order of the Elephant in October 1992 (Source Wikipedia) & Queen Margrethe made a State Visit to Norway that year (Source Kongehuset.dk) so a fair guess is that she got it then. Margrethe hasn't made a State Visit to Sweden since 1985 (Kongehuset.dk) when Carl-Philip & Madeleine was to young to receive the order.

A thing to note is that Queen Margrethe also is godmother of Princess Märtha Louise. Queen Margrethe has also awarded orders on other occasions than state visits. Crown Princess Victoria received it on the very day of her 18th birthday (probably handed over by Queen Ingrid that attended the celebrations in Stockholm).

So I still think it is quite possible that both Prince Daniel and Crown Princess Mette-Marit could receive the Order of the Elephant during a upcoming state visit, already before they become consorts.

A thing to note is that Queen Margrethe also is godmother of Princess Märtha Louise. Queen Margrethe has also awarded orders on other occasions than state visits. Crown Princess Victoria received it on the very day of her 18th birthday (probably handed over by Queen Ingrid that attended the celebrations in Stockholm).

So I still think it is quite possible that both Prince Daniel and Crown Princess Mette-Marit could receive the Order of the Elephant during a upcoming state visit, already before they become consorts.

However, normally only one state visit is conducted with the same monarchs (or more precisely: one incoming and one outgoing). So, Margrethe won't visit either Sweden or Norway another time during her reign as long as Carl Gustaf and Harald are the respective monarchs. Only after their heirs become heads of state that possibility ooens up again; although the new monarchs are expected to visit her first as the longer reigning monarch - but either way Daniel and Mette Marit will be consorts at that time.

And of course the queen received both monarchs before she visited them: Harald in 1991 (his first, second was to Sweden) and Carl Gustaf in 1975 (his third, after Finland and Norway).

Last edited:

Queen Margrethe is also godmother to Carl Philip.

I think there was a post by Polyesco saying that Mette Marit already has the Order of The Elephant.

A thing to note is that Queen Margrethe also is godmother of Princess Märtha Louise.

I know I'm a fool to trust Wikipedia but Queen Margrethe isn't listed there as one of Märtha-Louises many godparents.
As both Harald, Haakon & Victoria received the order on the day they reached maturity (21, 18, 18) it could be seen as a Scandinavian tradition.
But strangely Carl Gustav received his order in his 19th year and not on his birthday?

Last edited:
However, normally only one state visit is conducted with the same monarchs (or more precisely: one incoming and one outgoing). So, Margrethe won't visit either Sweden or Norway another time during her reign as long as Carl Gustaf and Harald are the respective monarchs. Only after their heirs become heads of state that possibility ooens up again; although the new monarchs are expected to visit her first as the longer reigning monarch - but either way Daniel and Mette Marit will be consorts at that time.

And of course the queen received both monarchs before she visited them: Harald in 1991 (his first, second was to Sweden) and Carl Gustaf in 1975 (his third, after Finland and Norway).

It's true that this is normally the case, however has QM has paid two state visits to the UK, and King Carl Gustaf has visited QM twice during her reign. Even though I hope for new state visits I doubt it will happen before a new monarch in either Nordic country.

I think there was a post by Polyesco saying that Mette Marit already has the Order of The Elephant.

True that, intended to write if these facts are accurate. I haven't found the information on the website of Danish Court, which is good at presenting awarded orders and medals. It is indeed a bit intriguing.

I know I'm a fool to trust Wikipedia but Queen Margrethe isn't listed there as one of Märtha-Louises many godparents.
As both Harald, Haakon & Victoria received the order on the day they reached maturity (21, 18, 18) it could be seen as a Scandinavian tradition.
But strangely Carl Gustav received his order in his 19th year and not on his birthday?

Ooops! Sorry my mistake, a bit too tired tonight to remember correctly. :whistling:

Yes. I was surprise too when I read it on the NRF website. Wonder when it was given, must have been somewhat recently :flowers:

I have a question concerning the danish royal family order:
I´ve spottet from a close up photo that the picture of the Queen they used must have been taken about her 50th birthday. In Britain, as we all know, they always use the same image that was made in 1952 from the Dorothy-Wilding-photosession.

But Margrethe succeeded in her early 30s. Was there a "younger version" of the order being made before 1990 or did they only comission it that late?!

I have a question concerning the danish royal family order:
I´ve spottet from a close up photo that the picture of the Queen they used must have been taken about her 50th birthday. In Britain, as we all know, they always use the same image that was made in 1952 from the Dorothy-Wilding-photosession.

But Margrethe succeeded in her early 30s. Was there a "younger version" of the order being made before 1990 or did they only comission it that late?!

I think there was no need earlier to make one. Queen Margrethe, Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie wear one with a portrait of their father so probably the first one given with a Portrait of Margrethe was given to then Princess Alexandra.

Last edited:
I think there was no need earlier to make one. Queen margrethe, Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Maruie wear one with a portrait of their father so probably the first one given with a Portrait of Margrethe was given to then Princess Alexandra.
I was just about to write the same when I saw your post. Neither of the Queen's sisters or her cousin Elisabeth wear her portrait so once Alexandra was given one they decided that the princesses who came after should have the same portrait "a la anglais"

I was just about to write the same when I saw your post. Neither of the Queen's sisters or her cousin Elisabeth wear her portrait so once Alexandra was given one they decided that the princesses who came after should have the same portrait "a la anglais"

And they don't wear multiple prtrait Orders only one not several like in the Uk where PrincessMargarete wore the one of her grandfather, father and sister.
But the one Crown pricness mary received has a diferent picture of Margrethe then the one Princess Alexandra used. So it seems the update the picture.

I think there was no need earlier to make one. Queen Margrethe, Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie wear one with a portrait of their father so probably the first one given with a Portrait of Margrethe was given to then Princess Alexandra.

Queen Anne-Marie wearing no danish royal family order as wife of a foreign (former) monarch is only just and understandable.
But why Queen Ingrid or Princess Benedikte didn´t wear a Margrethe II RF order is beyond me.

A comparision: Prcss Astrid of Norway had King Haakons order, her father´s King Olav V. and then added her brother´s, Harald, in 1991.

I really do appreciate the british way: A new reign requires a new RFO for all royal ladies of the House.

Last edited:
If the custom in Denmark is to only wear one (as Stefan explained in the post above yours), it makes sense not to commission a new one for those who already have the family order.

Why do only the women wear the order?
The men are members of the family too, aren't they?:ermm:

Queen Anne-Marie wearing no danish royal family order as wife of a foreign (former) monarch is only just and understandable.
But why Queen Ingrid or Princess Benedikte didn´t wear a Margrethe II RF order is beyond me.

A comparision: Prcss Astrid of Norway had King Haakons order, her father´s King Olav V. and then added her brother´s, Harald, in 1991.

I really do appreciate the british way: A new reign requires a new RFO for all royal ladies of the House.
Queen Anne-Marie wears her father's portrait/order at gala events in Denmark, though never anywhere else. I guess it is since these events are seen as family events while she attends galas at other places as Queen (former) of Greece.

It is not a Family Order in Denmark but the King's Portrait or something like this. And you receive only one not several like in the UK.

Queen Sonja and Princess Märtha Louise whore King Olav's portrait before 1991. After Harald has become King the stopped to wear the one of King Olav and wear the one one King Harald. OPnly Prince Astrid wears all three she has.

Queen Sonja and Princess Märtha Louise whore King Olav's portrait before 1991. After Harald has become King the stopped to wear the one of King Olav and wear the one one King Harald. OPnly Prince Astrid wears all three she has.

I know... But that´s not the point. If the norwegian Royals would follow the danish way, the Queen, Martha Louise and Astrid wouldn´t have had a new order after King Harald succeeded and Mette-Marit would have been the 1st one to have been made the new RFO.

Last edited:

Queen Anne Marie wears her Royal Family Decoration of King Frederick* when she's in Denmark as first and foremost she's a Danish princess

It is not a Family Order in Denmark but the King's Portrait or something like this. And you receive only one not several like in the UK.

In Sweden, Norway and Denmark they aren't orders but they're called the 'Royal Decoration of King/Queen (name)' as effectively it isn't really an order unlike how in the UK, almost every decoration is an order which is silly

very interesting topic.
According to the Norwegian Royal website, Mette-Marit does have the Order of the Elephant
H.K.H. Kronprinsessens dekorasjoner - kongehuset.no

It might be something recently awarded. I dont remember Mette-Marit with it :flowers:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e1/99/dc/e199dc9ca6d933b88b35eaf6821a1535.jpg
Maybe when MM attended the Queen's birthday in 2015?
Yesterday, at Crown Prince Frederik's 50th birthday gala dinner, Crown Princess Mette Marit was seen for the first time with the Order of the Elephant. So, the website of the Norwegian Royal Court wasn't wrong, but it still unknown when she received it.

In Sweden, Norway and Denmark they aren't orders but they're called the 'Royal Decoration of King/Queen (name)' as effectively it isn't really an order unlike how in the UK, almost every decoration is an order which is silly

It is effectively just a memento to show attachment to the Sovereign.

Watching the New Years Banquet tonight, it came across me that there is one vacancy as Grand Commander of the Order of the Dannebrog. The number is limited to eight at the time, but since the death of Prince Henrik there is only seven Grand Commanders. I wonder if the vacancy is to be replaced soon, and by whom. In my opinion the only likely candidate is Crown Princess Mary. The question is who likely it is, and/or when in that case?

Watching the New Years Banquet tonight, it came across me that there is one vacancy as Grand Commander of the Order of the Dannebrog. The number is limited to eight at the time, but since the death of Prince Henrik there is only seven Grand Commanders. I wonder if the vacancy is to be replaced soon, and by whom. In my opinion the only likely candidate is Crown Princess Mary. The question is who likely it is, and/or when in that case?

Your message peeked my interest. Other than Henrik (who received it after his wife's ascension to the throne) all other recipients are 'born royal'. In the first paragraph on Wikipedia it states that only those of 'princely origin' might become Grand Commanders.

Instead of Crown princess Mary I could see them reserve this 8th spot for prince Christian to be given to him on his 18th birthday. Although Frederik and Joachim got theirs much later (not too long after queen Ingrid passed away - clearly Margrethe didn't want to keep Joachim waiting too long after his elder brother became GC). Alternatively, queen Anne Marie could be granted this honour; her husband was appointed the order in 1964 6 days after becoming king of Greece; her eldest sister upon ascending the throne and her other sister upon her 25th wedding anniversary but Anne Marie herself is still without the order. As queen Margrethe twice used her birthday to hand out this order (both to her husband and youngest son), she might see her 80th birthday as a great occasion to do so again - unless she plans to hand it to prince Christian; in that case I expect her to wait until he turns 18.

In either scenario, Mary could get hers soon after becoming queen - so far, neither queen Ingrid nor prince Henrik got their before their spouse was the Sovereign and, therefore, Master of the order. So, I expect queen Margrethe to let king Frederik have the honour to bestow it upon his wife.

The current Grand Commanders:
Her Majesty Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark, Master of the Order (14 January 1972)
His Majesty Constantine II, King of the Hellenes (12 March 1964)
His Majesty Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden (10 October 1975)
His Majesty Harald V, King of Norway (28 October 1991)
Her Royal Highness Benedikte, Princess of Denmark (27 January 1993)
His Royal Highness Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark (1 January 2004)
His Royal Highness Joachim, Prince of Denmark (16 April 2004)

Last edited:
Your message peeked my interest. Other than Henrik (who received it after his wife's ascension to the throne) all other recipients are 'born royal'. In the first paragraph on Wikipedia it states that only those of 'princely origin' might become Grand Commanders.

Instead of Crown princess Mary I could see them reserve this 8th spot for prince Christian to be given to him on his 18th birthday. Although Frederik and Joachim got theirs much later (maybe because of the limited number of spots available?) In that scenario, Mary might get hers soon after becoming queen.

The current Grand Commanders:

Prince Christian is indeed a good candidate. However, both Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim received the Order in 2004, on January 1st and April 16th respectively.

The paragraph on 'princely origin' could also be interpreted as Royals overall, as Prince Henrik wasn't born a royal either, so have a hard time believing that is a criteria.

I would like to see Anne-Marie get it when her husband and sister have been awarded the honour. Plenty of time for Christian to be awarded the order, sadly within the next 10 years or so I’m sure spaces will become available.

Back
Top Bottom