The Danish Orders and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting, the Order of the Elephant was created by King Christian V in 1693 and today, 330 years later, Prince Christian was awarded Knight

Is anyone familiar with the tradition regarding the Danish RFO(royal family orders)? I know QMII wears her fathers, CPM and PM their M-i-l's, but Princess Benedickte only wears one(I can't tell if its her fathers or sister). Will we see Mary wearing QMII's and her husbands?

Is anyone familiar with the tradition regarding the Danish RFO(royal family orders)? I know QMII wears her fathers, CPM and PM their M-i-l's, but Princess Benedickte only wears one(I can't tell if its her fathers or sister). Will we see Mary wearing QMII's and her husbands?

Queen Alexandrine and Queen Ingrid only wore their husband’s Miniature Portraits and Princess Benedikte wears her fathers.

So the tradition seems to be that a Queen Consort wears her husbands portrait - and a Princess wears the portrait of the monarch who gave it to her.

Last edited:
What has the Order of the Dannebrog to with King Constantine's death?

Since Prince Henrik and King Constantine has died, there are two vacant places reserved for Grand Commanders. With Daisy abdicating and the future King Frederik X to becoming the grand master of the Danish Orders, they should appoint the future Queen Mary and Crown Prince Christian Grand Commanders of the Order of Dannebrog in connection to his accession.

Since Prince Henrik and King Constantine has died, there are two vacant places reserved for Grand Commanders. With Daisy abdicating and the future King Frederik X to becoming the grand master of the Danish Orders, they should appoint the future Queen Mary and Crown Prince Christian Grand Commanders of the Order of Dannebrog in connection to his accession.

It’s likely that Frederik will appoint his wife and his heir, when the accession has happened.

QMII probably didn’t made any new appointments as she thoght Frederik should be the one doing it.

After all, the Order of the Elephant is the senior order, so new royal appointments to the Order of Dannebrog can wait.

Yes I too was wondering about the Danish RFO.

Don't think so. As far as i remember Queen Ingrid wore the one of her husband after he became King and not the one of her husband and of her father-in-law. Also it seems only one Order iss given to the Princesses and Benedikte and Anne-Marie have only the one of their father and not the one of their sister.

Last edited:
Strange that Princess Benedikte did not have the RFO of MII?

It seems that only the daughters on law of the queen received the RFO of Queen Margrethe II.

Last edited:
It’s likely that Frederik will appoint his wife and his heir, when the accession has happened.

QMII probably didn’t made any new appointments as she thoght Frederik should be the one doing it.

After all, the Order of the Elephant is the senior order, so new royal appointments to the Order of Dannebrog can wait.

I think that Frederik will appoint Mary Grand Commander of the Order of Dannebrog in honour of their 20th wedding anniversary

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/t...n-become-knights-of-the-order-of-the-elephant

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/kongeparrets-tre-yngste-boern-bliver-elefantriddere

14 January 2024 | News

The King and Queen’s three youngest children become Knights of the Order of the Elephant

HM The King is the Sovereign of the Orders for the two royal orders of chivalry, the Order of the Elephant and the Order of Dannebrog. According to the statutes (rules) of the Order of the Elephant, the sons of the Sovereign of the Orders – today, also daughters – are born members of the order. That is to say that HM The King’s three youngest children, HRH Princess Isabella, HRH Prince Vincent and HRH Princess Josephine, are Knights of the Order of the Elephant from 14 January 2024 onwards. The three new Knights of the Order of the Elephant will likely be presented with the Order of the Elephant’s insignias on their 18th birthdays. Likewise, HM The King and HRH Prince Joachim became Knights of the Order of the Elephant upon the accession to the throne of their mother, HM Queen Margrethe, on 14 January 1972 and were presented with the insignias when they turned 18 years old.​

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/hm-the-kings-monogram

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/h-m-kongens-navnetraek

HM The King’s monogram

The royal monogram was specified by His Majesty The King in the Council of State on 14 January 2024. The royal monogram consists of two mirrored Fs, between which the Roman numeral X (10) is placed, the whole crowned by the royal crown. The monogram was chosen by The King and was designed and drawn by the royal armorist Ronny Skov Andersen with digital assistance from designer Stefan Lægaard.

In the future, The King’s monogram will replace HM Queen Margrethe’s in many places. The royal monogram is used, among other places, on royal ordinances, on the Life Guard’s sentry boxes and shoulder straps, on the Guard Hussar Regiment’s sabretaches and shabracks (saddle cloths) and in many other connections.

The process of replacing the royal monogram will likely extend over a long period of time.

The press release includes an image of the new monogram.

Of note is that the monarch's monogram is the only monogram in the royal family which is "official"; the others' are "private".

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/the-monarchy-in-denmark/the-royal-symbols/the-royal-monograms

I wonder if and when we will see the now Queen Margrethe's new private monogram?

Last edited by a moderator:
What a nice honour for Princess Isabella, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine:previous:

I wonder if and when we will see the now Queen Margrethe's new private monogram?

Wouldn’t it be the case that the simpler version of her current monogram is now considered private? I’m not sure she’ll make a new version for herself at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom