The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Serene Highness

I don´t think she had one ... But I´m not sure ...

Old 02-16-2017, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The Royal Court has today made available the 'Coat of Arms Books' of the Orders of the Elephant and Dannebrog. They contain the coat of arms of every individual honoured with either order since 1660 (Elephant) and 1671 (Dannebrog). Those who hold these orders are required to submit a coat of arms to hang in Chapel of the Royal Orders of Knighthood at Frederiksborg Castle.

You can view the books here: Våbenbøger | Kongehuset
The Order of the Elephant books go up to 1996, the Order of the Dannebrog books go up to 1999. The fourth and eleventh books in the series are still in use and have not been added to the digital collection yet.

--
This is an incredible resource - a complete list of every person who has received these orders for three and a half centuries.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:28 PM
Majesty

agree, an incredible source! so much history. Now to have some time to go through it.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

For Princess Isabella of Denmark's 10th birthday today, a new monogram has been created for her, consisting of an asymmetric double-letter 'I' with the crown of Christian 5th above.

It was designed by a graphic designer, (Charlotte Søeborg Olsen), "with artistic assistance from associate professor Steen Ehlers".

The Royal Family of Denmark website states:

Quote:
There is a long tradition of royal monograms in Denmark. The monogram is an identity tag that can both have a functional and a decorative use. The monarch's monogram is official, while monograms for the other members of the royal house are private of character.

The monogram can be used as a personal identifier in a wide range of areas where an identity is to be highlighted. It may be on items, gifts, stationery, jewelry and much more. A royal monogram consists of an initial or a double initial under the royal crown.
H.K.H. Prinsesse Isabella får monogram | Kongehuset
Old 04-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Majesty

It was a nice surprise, I thought we would have to wait until her 18 birthday.
I like it, it has a nice flow
Old 04-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Serene Highness

I have thought that the monograms for the CPC´s children would have been made by QMII.

It's a lovely monogram <3
Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Courtier

Does anyone know if Prince Daniel of Sweden has been bestowed a Danish order at some time. I know that there hasn't been any state or official visit between Sweden and Denmark since his marriage to Crown Princess Victoria, but I though that it maybe was possible that it could be bestowed at a family event or so. I think that Crown Princess Victoria received her Order of the Elephant on her 18th birthday, and Crown Prince Frederik the Order of the Seraphim at another point than an official visit, so I thought this maybe was possible in this case as well?

Additionally, what order is he most likely to receive, the Order of the Elephant or the Order of Dannebrog? I don't think their is a custom of spouses to heirs in the current generation (or that recently become sovereigns) of which order is likely.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:28 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
Does anyone know if Prince Daniel of Sweden has been bestowed a Danish order at some time. I know that there hasn't been any state or official visit between Sweden and Denmark since his marriage to Crown Princess Victoria, but I though that it maybe was possible that it could be bestowed at a family event or so. I think that Crown Princess Victoria received her Order of the Elephant on her 18th birthday, and Crown Prince Frederik the Order of the Seraphim at another point than an official visit, so I thought this maybe was possible in this case as well?

Additionally, what order is he most likely to receive, the Order of the Elephant or the Order of Dannebrog? I don't think their is a custom of spouses to heirs in the current generation (or that recently become sovereigns) of which order is likely.

Prince Daniel isn't a 'Prince of Sweden' he's simply titled Prince Daniel (without a territorial designation), Duke of Vastergotland

With the three highest Scandinavian Orders, the majority of foreign heirs become Knights when they become heirs or at birth.

In the case of Prince Daniel, as spouses of foreign heirs don't really receive a Danish order, he will most probably become a Knight of the Order of the Elephant when his wife ascends to the throne and there is a state visit or as a gift upon him becoming prince Consort.

The Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog is usually awarded to princes and princesses of foreign royal families although this grade isn't awarded much, but one Princess who has been seen wearing the Grand Cross is Princess Sirindhorn, The Princess Royal of Thailand during the Danish state visit to Thailand.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalJewelish View Post
Prince Daniel isn't a 'Prince of Sweden' he's simply titled Prince Daniel (without a territorial designation), Duke of Vastergotland
According to the website of the swedish royal court Daniel is prince of Sweden.
HRH Prince Daniel - Sveriges Kungahus
Mr Daniel Westling will be Prince of Sweden - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
According to the website of the swedish royal court Daniel is prince of Sweden.
HRH Prince Daniel - Sveriges Kungahus
Mr Daniel Westling will be Prince of Sweden - Sveriges Kungahus

I think it was meant that he would be a Swedish prince but not a prince of Sweden
Old 01-11-2018, 01:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I think it was meant that he would be a Swedish prince but not a prince of Sweden
No, Prince Daniel is a Prince of Sweden. It explicitly states it in the statement from the Court prior to the wedding. He is on par as his brother-in-law and sister-in-law.

When did Queen Maxima receive her Danish order? Was it prior to 2013? Edit: Found it - she was granted the order in 2015.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:41 AM
Courtier

Does it mean that usually only monarch, monarch's spouse and heir of other house would get an order from Denmark? I just realize not only Daniel, Mette-Marit also doesn't have Danish order, not even a second-tier order. I am surprised because I thought they already had it as the Scandinavians have a quite close and strong connection.

Edit: Just read the list in wiki, Martha Louise also received the highest order but Madeleine or CP didn't, is it because she is the oldest kid?
Old 01-11-2018, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post

It seems #queen Margrethe does not give danish Orders to the spouses of Heirs. Queen Mathilde did not have a danish Order before she got the Order of the Elephant at the State Visit to Denmark last year. And in that case there has been a State Visit as Queen Margrethe made one to Belgium in 2002. Also Crown Princess Mette-Marit who is from a close related and befriended royal House does not have a danish order but for some reason her sister-in-law Märtha Louise has the Order of the Elephant.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:57 AM
Courtier

CP Mary doesn't have the Order of the Seraphim either.....

Hopefully there are Swedish/Danish state visits soon.....
Old 01-11-2018, 06:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post

OT: Even if there is state visit I think she wouldn't get the Seraphim until she becomes queen as I believe Seraphim wouldn't be given to heirs' spouses.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

But she has the Order of the Polar Star the second highest ranking swedish Order and she has the norwegian Order of St. Olav.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
No, Prince Daniel is a Prince of Sweden. It explicitly states it in the statement from the Court prior to the wedding. He is on par as his brother-in-law and sister-in-law.

When did Queen Maxima receive her Danish order? Was it prior to 2013? Edit: Found it - she was granted the order in 2015.

Queen Maxima became a Knight of the Order of the Elephant during the state visit of the Netherlands to Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Does it mean that usually only monarch, monarch's spouse and heir of other house would get an order from Denmark? I just realize not only Daniel, Mette-Marit also doesn't have Danish order, not even a second-tier order. I am surprised because I thought they already had it as the Scandinavians have a quite close and strong connection.

Edit: Just read the list in wiki, Martha Louise also received the highest order but Madeleine or CP didn't, is it because she is the oldest kid?

In Denmark, the Orders aren't as widely distributed to foreign royals as they are in Sweden, as Denmark only has 2 Orders: The Order of the Elephant and the Order of the Dannebrog.
The Order of the Elephant is awarded to all Danish Princes/Princesses and some Princesses by marriage.
The Order of the Dannebrog, has 6 grades, the highest being Knight Grand Commander which all Danish Princes and Princesses are Knights as well as the Danish Consort and royal families close to the Danish Royal Family as well as the monarchs of Sweden and Norway... the other grades of Knight/Dame Grand Cross, Knight/Dame Grand Officer, Knight/Dame Commander, Knight/Dame Officer and Knight/Dame are mostly awarded to Danish nobility, workers, citizens and some foreign personalities (mostly Ambassadors and diplomats) except for the Grand Cross which I think there are two Knights Grand Cross, 1. Princess Sirindhorn, The Princess Royal of Thailand and 2. Prince Ali bin Hussein of Jordan.

Daniel and Mette-Marit will only become Knights Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of the Elephant when their spouses become monarchs of their country, which will also mean their eldest child will become a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Elephant as well as the new Swedish and Norwegian monarch becoming a Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Dannebrog.

Martha-Louise is a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Elephant as she received it as a gift from Queen Margrethe II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It seems #queen Margrethe does not give danish Orders to the spouses of Heirs. Queen Mathilde did not have a danish Order before she got the Order of the Elephant at the State Visit to Denmark last year. And in that case there has been a State Visit as Queen Margrethe made one to Belgium in 2002. Also Crown Princess Mette-Marit who is from a close related and befriended royal House does not have a danish order but for some reason her sister-in-law Märtha Louise has the Order of the Elephant.

Martha-Louise was gifted the Order but also most probably because she's royal by birth

Quote:

Crown Princess Mary is a Member Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the Polar Star, which is lower than the Order of the Seraphim.
Unlike Denmark, Sweden has 6 Royal Orders which was more widely distributed by has been narrowed down to awarding 3 of the Royal Orders
Old 01-11-2018, 03:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post

very interesting topic.
According to the Norwegian Royal website, Mette-Marit does have the Order of the Elephant
H.K.H. Kronprinsessens dekorasjoner - kongehuset.no

It might be something recently awarded. I dont remember Mette-Marit with it
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e1/99...f6821a1535.jpg
Maybe when MM attended the Queen's birthday in 2015?
Old 01-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Martha-Louise was gifted the Order but also most probably because she's royal by birth
So why was it then not also given to Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine of Sweden. Both are also born royals and have the same status as children of a Monarch.

Quote:
In Denmark, the Orders aren't as widely distributed to foreign royals as they are in Sweden, as Denmark only has 2 Orders: The Order of the Elephant and the Order of the Dannebrog.
Notway has also only 2 Orderrs. The Order of St. Olav and the Order of Merit. And in Sweden only 2 Orders, the Order of the Seraphim and the Order of the Polar Star are awarded now. They other Orders are awarded since the new Constitution camce in force in 1974.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
So why was it then not also given to Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine of Sweden. Both are also born royals and have the same status as children of a Monarch.

Because the Order was a personal gift to Martha Louise

Tags
danish monograms, danish orders