The Danish Orders and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Help with Elephant order related badge

Hi to all! New to the forum, mainly I collect military pins & badges recently I get this badge that I guess is conected with the danish Elephant order as it shows a coat of arms surrounded for what seems to be the collar of the Danish Elephant order, please help to determine his exact use & purpose, I post also a coat of arms from the Bang family (Danish) is the more similar coat of arms that I found similar to the one in the badge. The badge is made by C.L. Seifert, a known jeweller from Copnhagen, still in bussines, the back of the badge has the inscrption: Cl Hof Gurdfrekker - CL Seifert - Kobenhaven.

Thanks in advance for any opinion

Nacho

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_105838.jpg
    IMG_20210410_105838.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 68
  • danish 3.jpg
    danish 3.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 0ed445d6e4bf23cfc98b8206f038a14e.jpg
    0ed445d6e4bf23cfc98b8206f038a14e.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your first post.

The badge and crest belongs to Carl Ludwig Seifert, who was born in 1834 and died in 1898.
He was a supplier to the royal Danish Court and got that honor, because his tailor-shop supplied uniforms to officers of the army and navy as well as uniformed members of the court (that was pretty much everybody!)
It's not gurdfrekker - but guldtrækker = gold-embroider. I.e. a person who specialize in incorporating gold-treads into clothing, typically uniforms, like the shoulder-straps.

You can read about him here: https://clseifert.com/our-story/
And ask questions by mail.

As for the Order of the Elephant:
This is the place to write and direct your questions to - and all other questions you may have in regards to Danish orders: Orders and Medals Society of Denmark

Why don't Princes Nikolai and Felix have monograms while the rest of the queen's grandchildren do? Is it because they are Prince Joachim's children?

Why don't Princes Nikolai and Felix have monograms while the rest of the queen's grandchildren do? Is it because they are Prince Joachim's children?

I suspect it's because they are Joachim's children, yes - the children of a monarch's younger son, not the children of the monarch or of the heir apparent.

I like Frederik's monogram the most. Joachim's standalone monogram is a little strange :)

I think so. Joachim's 4 kids are HH, His/Her Highness. While Frederik's 4 kids are HRH, His/Her Royal Highness.
Even with Frederik's kids, only Christian (the future heir) had a monogram since birth. Isabella, Vincent and Josephine received theirs on their 10th birthdays.

(..)
Any one knows here who made the coats of Arms of Mary when she was getting married? If I am not wrong she had one made for her family before he got married.

(..)
Any one knows here who made the coats of Arms of Mary when she was getting married? If I am not wrong she had one made for her family before he got married.

I don't know, but personal arms are not regulated in Denmark as they are in the UK by the College of Arms or the Court of the Lord Lyon. There is a National Heraldic Consultant under the Danish National Archive, which serves as the heraldic authority for official arms. Maybe the National Heraldic Consultant also provides advice in the design of royal arms in the same way as the State Herald does in Sweden with respect to arms of members of the Swedish Royal House.

I am sure the Danish posters will be able to give you a better answer though.

Last edited:
Coat of Arms of Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, granted to her in 2006 and designed by Danish heraldic Office.
236px-Coat_of_arms_of_Crown_Princess_Mary_of_Denmark.svg.png

The Coat of Arms of Mary's father John Dalgleish Donaldson

202px-Coat_of_arms_of_John_Dalgleish_Donaldson.png

Coat of Arms of Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, granted to her in 2006 and designed by Danish heraldic Office.
236px-Coat_of_arms_of_Crown_Princess_Mary_of_Denmark.svg.png

The Coat of Arms of Mary's father John Dalgleish Donaldson

202px-Coat_of_arms_of_John_Dalgleish_Donaldson.png

Thank you so much! Beautiful coa of Arms

Thank you so much! Beautiful coa of Arms

The shield on the left (or to the right of the shield bearer, i.e. dexter) is actually the undifferenced arms of Margrethe II as Queen of Denmark as used by Crown Prince Frederik, surmounted, however, by a princely crown rather than the royal crown as in his mother's coat of arms.

According to historian and royal expert Jon Bloch Skipper wrote in his mailbox in BILLED-BLADET.

"It may well be that Prince Christian will become a knight of the Order of the Elephant when he turns 18, but there is no "automatic" in the area apart from the fact that the children of the reigning monarch and thus the lord of the order are, according to the statutes of the Order of the Elephant, born knights of the order. So Prince Christian will receive Denmark's oldest and most distinguished order when his father becomes king - if not before, but it is not inconceivable that the Queen chooses to use his 18th birthday as an occasion to give it to him, as we saw majesty do when Norway's future queen, Princess Ingrid Alexandra, turned 18 earlier this year.We'll see what happens in October 2023."

If Ingrid, a grandchild of a foreign monarch (albeit future sovereign) got it, I think it's inconceivable that Christian the future King of Denmark won't.

If Ingrid, a grandchild of a foreign monarch (albeit future sovereign) got it, I think it's inconceivable that Christian the future King of Denmark won't.

Exactly, it seemed a bit weird that the heir of the heir of a foreign monarchy received this honor on her 18th birthday (did Victoria (heir) and Haakon (heir's heir) receive it as well on their respective 18th birthdays?) - however, if she would now withhold it from her own heir's heir that would be unthinkable.

Since the royal orders are another aspect of the monarchy which are being slimmed down (Prince Joachim's children have not become Knights of the Order of the Elephant on reaching their majority like Hereditary Prince Knud's children did), it will be interesting to see what happens with Prince Christian's siblings.

Last edited:
Since the royal orders are another aspect of the monarchy which are being slimmed down (Prince Joachim's children have not become Knights of the Order of the Elephant on reaching their majority like Hereditary Prince Knud's children did), it will be interesting to see what happens with Prince Christian's siblings.

I think all of Frederik and Mary's children will get that order, which makes sense.

There is no doubt that P. Christian will get the OotE when he turns 18. I also believe that his siblings will also get it as well. However, whether they get it when they turn 18 under QMII or will get it when CPF is King, I am curious to see.

Exactly, it seemed a bit weird that the heir of the heir of a foreign monarchy received this honor on her 18th birthday (did Victoria (heir) and Haakon (heir's heir) receive it as well on their respective 18th birthdays?) - however, if she would now withhold it from her own heir's heir that would be unthinkable.

Victoria and Haakon did receive it on their 18th birthday as well.

I think it would be utterly surprising if all of Frederik's children don't receive it upon their 18th birthday. They will all be the children of the future monarch (should nothing bad happen before then).

It will be interesting to see if Prince Joachim's children are awarded the Order of the Elephant or the Order of the Dannebrog.

Princess Marie of Denmark was the last member of the DRF I believe to be awarded the Order of the Elephant.

It will be interesting to see if Prince Joachim's children are awarded the Order of the Elephant or the Order of the Dannebrog.
As then Prines Nikolai and Felix haven't got the Order of their Elephant for their 18th birthdays and with the removal of their Princely Titles i guess they will get none at all.

And how stay the situation of the Order of Dannebrog after King Constantine's death?

And how stay the situation of the Order of Dannebrog after King Constantine's death?

What has the Order of the Dannebrog to with King Constantine's death?

Since the death of King Constantine, and of Prince Henrik there is two vacant Grand Commander positions.

The current Grand Commanders are:
- Queen Margrethe II
- King Carl XVI Gustaf
- King Harald V
- Princess Benedikte
- Crown Prince Frederik
- Prince Joachim

I had a thought that Crown Princess Mary would have been appointed Grand Commander for her 50th birthday last year, but that didn't happen. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I think that we won't see any new appointments until the reign of King Frederik, unless we see a new Scandinavian monarch before that.

Since the death of King Constantine, and of Prince Henrik there is two vacant Grand Commander positions.

The current Grand Commanders are:
- Queen Margrethe II
- King Carl XVI Gustaf
- King Harald V
- Princess Benedikte
- Crown Prince Frederik
- Prince Joachim

I had a thought that Crown Princess Mary would have been appointed Grand Commander for her 50th birthday last year, but that didn't happen. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I think that we won't see any new appointments until the reign of King Frederik, unless we see a new Scandinavian monarch before that.

Was Prince Richard also a Grand Commander?

No, Prince Richard was not a Grand Commander.

Today's edition of "royals goofing their own history": https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/...splayStyle=thumb&displayNo=60&search=ap&rNo=2

Prince Carl wore his Elephant collar to the Devonshire House Ball in 1897, which I guess he was entitled to do, having had it for almost 7 years and wanting to come as somebody from Denmark. Looks good.

....and I cannot figure out a way the chain would have existed at any point during the 1500s (or most of the next century, honestly). Is this just a huge fancy anachronism?

Might Felipe VI receive the elephant of his uncle King Konstantinos, and Letizia maybe the one of Princess Elisabeth of Denmark?

Last edited:
There should also be the one of Count Christian af Rosenborg, if it was not already given out again. and the one of Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg.

The elephant belonged to Grand Duke Jean should be given to his grandson Guillaume.

Might Felipe VI receive the elephant of his uncle King Constantin, and Letizia maybe the one of Princess Elisabeth of Denmark?

Yes, I think it is possible for King Felipe VI to receive the order that belonged to King Constantine II of Greece.

Back
Top Bottom