The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Gentry

The Danish Order of Precendence

.... She (<CP Mary>) has an immense curtsey though! On the pictures I wondered what she doing, and then in the video I saw it in action. I think she has bouncy shins! ....

Old 10-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissP View Post
Thanks Marika and Dazzling.

I'm not sure I liked Mary's coat but it did suit her, and pattern and style-wise did disguise her bump. She has an immense curtsey though! On the pictures I wondered what she doing, and then in the video I saw it in action. I think she has bouncy shins!

I thought Marie looked stunning. The whole outfit was gorgeous, and she shone.
Picture details
Amen! I don't know how a 5 months pregnant woman with twins can curtsey that low, but Mary did!!! It is a testament to how physically fit CP Mary is!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Gentry

I did not like Marys outfit - too many clashing colours for my liking , and her curtsey still seems very awkward.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonconsort View Post
Thanks for the pix and video. nice to see everyone together.
I did not like Marys outfit - too many clashing colours for my liking , and her curtsey still seems very awkward.
Marie looks wonderful as always.
I think the growing belly may have had something to do with Mary's curtsy looking awkward
Old 10-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think the growing belly may have had something to do with Mary's curtsy looking awkward
Exactly! At least she was able to curtsy..and that low too - 5 months pregnant and carrying twins no less! I wonder how many women would be able to do the same - pregnant or not!

At least CP Mary's father-in-law was very appreciative of her curtsy
Se alle billederne: Folketingets åbning | www.bt.dk (PHOTO 19)
Se alle billederne: Folketingets åbning | www.bt.dk (PHOTO 20)
Picture details

And so was the Queen!
Picture details
Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is more important to ask why anyone curtseys, which is riduclous. Lord knows, pregnant with twins that was quite an effort.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Mary looked great. Nothing clashing. Bold, clashing means "not going together". It is more important to ask why anyone curtseys, which is riduclous. Lord knows, pregnant with twins that was quite an effort.
Mary's curtsy's are often quite deep, by her own choice, and she seems perfectly content with that.

It really comes down to tradition. A sign of respect for the position in what is fundamentally a hierarchy. Call it archaic if you should so wish, but it's only rediculous if you don't understand why it is what it is and why it's still performed by those who are happy to do so.

That said, I quite agree. She looked lovely.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissP View Post
She has an immense curtsey though! On the pictures I wondered what she doing, and then in the video I saw it in action. I think she has bouncy shins!
I have to agree, Mary's curtsey is definitely very low but then again, so is Marie's, as demonstrated in the video where we saw her curtsey to Prince Henrik. I am awed that Mary is able to accomplish such grace at five months pregnant though. I have noticed that both princesses only give such formal curtsey's at "State" occassions such as this.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I have noticed that both princesses only give such formal curtsey's at "State" occassions such as this.
Only when in public, so it would seem

Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Serene Highness

I think you are right because I remember Marie curtseying to QMII when they met at the Ballet. (Marie was pregnant at that time)
Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Sure it's part of the show.

No need to make a song and dance act, when there is no audience around, is there?
I think QMII is grand enough to only expect a kiss on the cheek, when they meet in private.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Sure it's part of the show.
And I for one love it

Quote:
No need to make a song and dance act, when there is no audience around, is there?

I think QMII is grand enough to only expect a kiss on the cheek, when they meet in private.
Agreed.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Mary's curtsy's are often quite deep, by her own choice, and she seems perfectly content with that.

It really comes down to tradition. A sign of respect for the position in what is fundamentally a hierarchy. Call it archaic if you should so wish, but it's only rediculous if you don't understand why it is what it is and why it's still performed by those who are happy to do so.

That said, I quite agree. She looked lovely.
How do you know it is by her own choice ??

Quote:
Again, how do you know what they do in private ?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Aristocracy

I think the courtsy is pretty well rehersed and also well "founded". If you look at who does it, it's the non-royal women. The Queens sister didn't courtsy, nor does her sons bow deeply. It's not something Mary or Marie came up with on their own accord. More likely it's something (re)instated by the Queen who has a certain fondness for tradition and rituals (many of which her own mother, Ingrid, removed).

Personally, I absolutely love it when women courtsy their "superiours" (be it small children that courtsy their grandparents on their 25 or 50th anniversary, or "civilians" meeting persons of another rank (i.e. royalty, ministers or presidents), just as I liked that Søren Espersen (mp) bowed his head visibly, whereas Mogens Lykketoft and Holger K. Nielsen merely nodded (at best). (All three are members of the parliaments official leadership - Presidiet - not sure what it is in English). Boys and girls have forgotten how to greet their elders in a polite manner. And after all, this is not the odd lady in the street, but Royalty, for goodness sake!

I'm also pretty sure that it's only as pronounced when they meet in public. I doubt that the Queen expects her Daughter-in-Law to courtesy when they pass each-other in the hallway, but I wouldn't be surprised if a minor "marked" courtsy could sneak itself in when they meet informally. But that's pure speculation.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
We can't know for certain, without asking the DRF.

From what I've seen on documentaries, and other meetings photographed from a distance Mary at least only kiss QMII and Prince Henrik on the cheek, when they meet.

When they are on the job Mary and the fair Marie curtesey.
Apart from being appropriate, i.e. showing respect for the head of state I also find it charming.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
There has been many pictures and videos over the years that show Mary doing this. You can tell she has a deep respect and IMO love for her MIL.
I would think when she was going through her "training classes" for becoming a royal and a member of the DRF this is the way she was taught to greet her MIL in public. Why is it such a big deal now? When President Obama was there she also greeted Queen Sofia in the same way. A very deep curtsey. They deserve the respect that is shown to them.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Because if she didn't want to curtsy so deep, she's under no obligation to do so. There is no set 'depth' by which a curtsy can be accurately measured, as logic would have it . . .

Quote:
Lets call it a substantiated argument that every time Mary greets her parents in-law in private it's with a kiss, not a curtsy.

The documentaries or photographic accounts I've seen over the past 7 years support the statement.

It's a wonderful thing to have an opinion formed with sources of a credible nature that are available to anyone who should care to make the most of them :)

Old 10-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Because if she didn't want to curtsy so deep, she's under no obligation to do so. There is no set 'depth' by which a curtsy can be accurately measured, as logic would have it . . .
LOL MR be ready to be asked are you sure on this one. This is getting very old very fast. Great answers as always!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Courtier

I might be getting a little bit off topic here but, what I don't get very well is who has to curtsey. Bendikte doesn't and that makes sense to me I can't picture my sister curteseying to me or the other way around without cracking into laughter, nor does Fred and Joachim bow their heads. Will Isabella have to curtsey to grandma when she's old enough?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator

I think it depends on the House.

Charles has bowed to his mother, Queen Elizabeth before he goes in for the kiss. I think I have seen William and Harry do the same. Phillip used to bow to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother before she died. And then he would kiss her as well. I do remember Diana, Sarah, and recently Camilla and Sophie curtseying to the Queen as well.

I certainly don't imagine that they do this in private. But since its in private, who knows what they do...they could do a jig for all we know