The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-15-2011, 04:57 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Well theres never been a 'King Mother' in modern European royal history, if at all. It would make sense that being a Queen Dowager, and should she so wish, that she could also be known as the 'Queen Mother' in reflection of her role as parent of the monarch, no matter the sex of that child.

To be known as the "King Mother' doesn't really reflect her position as A) a woman and B) the fact she was herself a female monarch. She was afterall a Queen, and not a King
I realise she would naturally be known as Queen Mother informally because that is not an actual title. But if she finds herself in that position, what 'formal' titles would be bestowed upon her? She would still have 'HRH' as part of her name but she would lose the 'Majesty' as a title wouldn't she? Also, as all her children and grandchildren have the added Count/Countess of Monzepat title to their names, would she take it upon herself to use that title or is it just for her kid/grandkids and carried on from there?
Say 'Queen Mother' wasn't allowed because it isn't really a title that has been passed down like CP or HM Queen/King...what would she then be addressed as? Or is a title in that scheme of things non-existent?

And I do think QMII should be able to keep the 'Queen' title in part of her name as long as she is alive. It would be disrespectful not to IMO.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I agree Queen Dowager would be more appropriate, but she is still the Kings mother.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes she would technically be the Kings Mother, but she wouldn't be known as such which is the point I'm making.

Quote:
I realise she would naturally be known as Queen Mother informally because that is not an actual title. But if she finds herself in that position, what 'formal' titles would be bestowed upon her? She would still have 'HRH' as part of her name but she would lose the 'Majesty' as a title wouldn't she?
I do believe you're thinking of the Netherlands

Not that Denmark has been confronted with an abdication of a Queen but I do believe it would be very unlikely that the Queen would be stripped of the designation of 'Majesty' in the event she should abdicate. Should would very likely be known as the 'Queen Mother' or 'Queen Dowager'.

Quote:
...or is it just for her kid/grandkids and carried on from there?
Correct. Establishing the Monpezat title was for the 'benefit' of her descendants.

Quote:
Say 'Queen Mother' wasn't allowed
Margrethe would, in my mind, be the 'Queen Dowager of Denmark', but could officially be known as the 'Queen Mother' if she was so inclined.

If her late mother, Queen Ingrid, could be known as the Queen Mother, then there really would be no reason to deny Margrethe being known by that style as well.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If her late mother, Queen Ingrid, could be known as the Queen Mother, then there really would be no reason to deny Margrethe being known by that style as well.
Queen Ingrid was never called or referred to as Queen Mother, she was only called Queen Ingrid.

I also believe she was addressed "your Majesty". - She was after all a queen. Not sure though.

I guess QMII would get a similar status.
Not that it would matter much, because she would have to be very ill or infirm for her to abdicate and in such case I don't think the public would see her.
When people would refer to the queen, it would automatically be Mary they would think of first, I believe. - As was the case with Queen Ingrid.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Margrethe would, in my mind, be the 'Queen Dowager of Denmark', but could officially be known as the 'Queen Mother' if she was so inclined.

So bottom line is there is no actual official title for a King or Queen who abdicates the throne? She would assumingly take up the title of Queen mother or Queen Dowager?

If she was introduced to a room of Royals and distinguished guests, what would they say?
Would it be something like 'Please welcome HRH Her Majesty the Queen Dowager of Denmark?
I apologize for all the questions but it's all so fascinating!

I would hate to ask what her title would be if it wasn't one of her kids on the throne but a sibling of hers then! It would be interesting to see what she would be known as.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Queen Ingrid was never called or referred to as Queen Mother, she was only called Queen Ingrid.

I also believe she was addressed "your Majesty". - She was after all a queen. Not sure though.

Not that it would matter much, because she would have to be very ill or infirm for her to abdicate and in such case I don't think the public would see her.
When people would refer to the queen, it would automatically be Mary they would think of first, I believe. - As was the case with Queen Ingrid.
People still referred to her as the Queen even though Margrethe II was the sovereign?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcurious View Post
People still referred to her as the Queen even though Margrethe II was the sovereign?
She was only referred to as "Queen Ingrid", QMII was "the Queen" or "Queen Margrethe", sometimes "Her Majesty" or "the Majesty".
Old 01-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I often read that she was referred to as Queen Mother Ingrid? Perhaps it was more from western media?

Be it said though that I wasn't speaking of the title as a principal designation. When King Frederik died she naturally became 'Her Majesty Queen Ingrid' as opposed to 'Her Majesty the Queen', which as we know is reserved for the wife of the incumbent sovereign.

Quote:
Would it be something like 'Please welcome HRH Her Majesty the Queen Dowager of Denmark?
The style of 'HRH' shouldn't factor into the equation. Margrethe hasn't been an 'HRH' since she succeeded to the throne in 1972. She is an 'Her Majesty' and would, I'm certain, remain an 'Her Majesty' even in the event of an abdication.

As it stands, only in the Netherlands is there a precedent to re-create an abdicated monarch a prince or princess with the style of 'His/Her Royal Highness'.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes, Queen Ingrid was adressed "Her Majesty Queen Ingrid" as you can see here: Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Billedkalender

ANd BTW: I just noticed that CP Frederik was entitled CP Frederik when his mother became queen: Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Billedkalender
I think when he is referred to as CP Frederik in 1975, then he was CP Frederik in 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcurious View Post
Yes, we did, but always with her name "Queen Ingrid" to make sure that we knew which queen we were talking about. If we were talking about QMII then it was "The Queen"
Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
ANd BTW: I just noticed that CP Frederik was entitled CP Frederik when his mother became queen: Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Billedkalender
I think when he is referred to as CP Frederik in 1975, then he was CP Frederik in 1972
Thank you, FasterB I stand corrected. I'll try to get that little piece of info to stick in my mind.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Thank you, FasterB I stand corrected. I'll try to get that little piece of info to stick in my mind.
That´s ok, I wasn´t sure either, but then I saw that photo of QI and CP F together at Gråsten
It´s photo number 4
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Gentry

I just finished reading this on Wiki but in the Netherlands, if they abdicate the throne then they would be known as Prince/Princess for as long as they live. However when they die they would be referred to as Queen/King again. Interesting.

I never realised how completely different each constitutional monarchy is.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Courtier

I just wanted say that I think the deep curtsey-ing looks like a bit of a inside joke, done for Henrik's benefit...I bet Henrik has probably put it to his daughters-in-law that there is not enough respect for tradition and respect for elders and formalities are disappearing...because Henrik looks amused, Mary looks amused...So Mary probably started the deep curtsey and with Henrik suitably impress and amused, it has become a funny thing to continue...like a new tradition in itself...curtsey embarrassingly low to the father-in-law
Old 02-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
I just wanted say that I think the deep curtsey-ing looks like a bit of a inside joke, done for Henrik's benefit...I bet Henrik has probably put it to his daughters-in-law that there is not enough respect for tradition and respect for elders and formalities are disappearing...because Henrik looks amused, Mary looks amused...So Mary probably started the deep curtsey and with Henrik suitably impress and amused, it has become a funny thing to continue...like a new tradition in itself...curtsey embarrassingly low to the father-in-law
I personally don't mind, nor do I care why, they curtsy so low. I just know I love it

Enough of that 'jig at the knees' rubbish observed primarily by the House of Windsor. If you're going to do something do it 'properly' (open to interpretation) and both Mary and Marie do just that. Mette-Marit and Maxima also tend to have quite low curtsies as well which is just fabulous...haha.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
curtsey embarrassingly low to the father-in-law
I think they also curtsey low to Queen Margrethe
Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
But still the 'Queen Mother' being that she'd be a Queen Dowager, and a mother
I looked up the definition of dowager on the internet ( just to be sure 100% before I post this ) and the definition I found fro dowager is " a widow who holds a title or property derived from her deceased husband" . So it would be senseless for Margrethe to become a Queen Dowager ever ( abdication or not) since her royal title derives from her own family- her father and his ancestors - and not from Henrik's
Old 03-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Courtier

Not sure if this is the right place to ask such a question, but I will do it anyway, and if you feel the need to move it to another thread, then do so...OK, so the question, bit morbid, but I just have to ask:

If something happened to the Queen, Prince Henrik, Prince Frederik and Princess Mary all at once, I mean, they all happened to die (sorry :( ), then Christian would technically be the next in line BUT he is not fit to rule being only 5 years old, would Prince Joachim then be regent in his place until Christian came of age? So Joachim would 'rule' for about 13 years, until Christian turned 18 years of age...or what would happen? And what would happen if all the adults passed away (including Joachim and Marie) and the only heirs left were children, what would happen then?

Sorry for the morbidness, but I have always wondered about such things...I want to know if anyone knows the answers...
Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Serene Highness

I think if all adult members of the DRF would be killed, a member of the government would take over, perhaps with someone of the Court, like a council? Ove Ullerup and some other people?

I don't think that Marie would be able to take over for Christian, the order would be Joachim and then Benedikte. Henrik Senior would also not be able to be regent.