The Danish Order of Precendence

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished reading this on Wiki but in the Netherlands, if they abdicate the throne then they would be known as Prince/Princess for as long as they live. However when they die they would be referred to as Queen/King again. Interesting.

I never realised how completely different each constitutional monarchy is.

I just wanted say that I think the deep curtsey-ing looks like a bit of a inside joke, done for Henrik's benefit...I bet Henrik has probably put it to his daughters-in-law that there is not enough respect for tradition and respect for elders and formalities are disappearing...because Henrik looks amused, Mary looks amused...So Mary probably started the deep curtsey and with Henrik suitably impress and amused, it has become a funny thing to continue...like a new tradition in itself...curtsey embarrassingly low to the father-in-law ;)

I just wanted say that I think the deep curtsey-ing looks like a bit of a inside joke, done for Henrik's benefit...I bet Henrik has probably put it to his daughters-in-law that there is not enough respect for tradition and respect for elders and formalities are disappearing...because Henrik looks amused, Mary looks amused...So Mary probably started the deep curtsey and with Henrik suitably impress and amused, it has become a funny thing to continue...like a new tradition in itself...curtsey embarrassingly low to the father-in-law ;)

I personally don't mind, nor do I care why, they curtsy so low. I just know I love it :D

Enough of that 'jig at the knees' rubbish observed primarily by the House of Windsor. If you're going to do something do it 'properly' (open to interpretation) and both Mary and Marie do just that. Mette-Marit and Maxima also tend to have quite low curtsies as well which is just fabulous...haha.

But still the 'Queen Mother' being that she'd be a Queen Dowager, and a mother ;)
I looked up the definition of dowager on the internet ( just to be sure 100% before I post this ;)) and the definition I found fro dowager is " a widow who holds a title or property derived from her deceased husband" . So it would be senseless for Margrethe to become a Queen Dowager ever ( abdication or not) since her royal title derives from her own family- her father and his ancestors - and not from Henrik's

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask such a question, but I will do it anyway, and if you feel the need to move it to another thread, then do so...OK, so the question, bit morbid, but I just have to ask:

If something happened to the Queen, Prince Henrik, Prince Frederik and Princess Mary all at once, I mean, they all happened to die (sorry :( ), then Christian would technically be the next in line BUT he is not fit to rule being only 5 years old, would Prince Joachim then be regent in his place until Christian came of age? So Joachim would 'rule' for about 13 years, until Christian turned 18 years of age...or what would happen? And what would happen if all the adults passed away (including Joachim and Marie) and the only heirs left were children, what would happen then?

Sorry for the morbidness, but I have always wondered about such things...I want to know if anyone knows the answers...

I think if all adult members of the DRF would be killed, a member of the government would take over, perhaps with someone of the Court, like a council? Ove Ullerup and some other people?

I don't think that Marie would be able to take over for Christian, the order would be Joachim and then Benedikte. Henrik Senior would also not be able to be regent.

Back
Top Bottom