Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Muhlers post implies that he only became CP when he turned 18
Well he turned 18 in 1986, but I can't see why he wouldn't be allowed to be a CP when his mother ascended the throne, it makes sense to me.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps because he can't sign the pledge before he is off age?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
so frederik become crown prince in 1986?

i am glad to learn something new i looked at wikipedia and they can be wrong
Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Titles and styles from english wikipedia
  • 26 May 1968 – 14 January 1972: His Royal Highness Prince Frederik of Denmark
  • 14 January 1972 – 29 April 2008: His Royal Highness The Crown Prince of Denmark
  • 29 April 2008 – present: His Royal Highness The Crown Prince of Denmark, Count of Monpezat[
I'm beginning to doubt myself.

Perhaps a mistranslation/misinterpretation of the word "tronarving = heir to the throne", or because Frederik (and probably Christian later on) for convenience was called crown prince (*), before turning eighteen.
Just as many believe Queen Margrethe was called crown princess, when she was still a princess and after the change in the Law of Succession.
That was never her title. She was "Tronfølger = Successor to the Throne". Her title was: Prinsesse Margrethe, Tronfølgeren = Princess Margrethe, The Successor to the Throne.
I've never understood why. (**)

Should Christian tragically die, I would presume, Isabella would get the title of "Tronfølger" and not crown princess.

What is certain however, is that Christian cannot fulfill a constitutional role as crown prince before turning eighteen, whatever his title prior to that is.
To point out a visible example of that: Christian's birthday will not become an official flagday until he turns eighteen. Until then he is a child with no constitutional role.

(*) A very, very common mistake is: Frederik, Kronprins af Danmark = Crown Prince of Denmark. That's not correct. His title is: Kronprins til Danmark = Crown Prince to Denmark. To, because he in the line of succession.
Mary's title is Mary, Kronprinsesse af Danmark = Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark. Of, because she is a Danish princess, but not in the line of succession.

(**) Unless Successor to the Throne is used by females who will themselves become a monarch, in order to distinguish them from crown princesses, who are married to dudes who will eventually become monarchs. - Oh my head!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Serene Highness

So he might be known as CP as he will one day be the CP and people most propably won't bother with his correct title?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
So he might be known as CP as he will one day be the CP and people most propably won't bother with his correct title?
I guess. It's probably only nerds who will be really concerned about his correct title and when that changes and so on.
So when Frederik become king, Christian will be known in the public as crown prince. And most likely of Denmark as well.

It really isn't that important, his constitutional role is however.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I dont' remember Margaret curtseying to Elizabeth but I could have just missed it.

Sorry for the BRF references, but they are the family that I follow the most.

Does anyone know if the sisters of Beatrix or Harald or Carl Gustaf curtsey to their siblings?

They only reason for Not doing so is because they are siblings of the monarchs and of the royal blood? I don't know.
Hi, Zonk. In another thread I posted about the footage from the wedding banquet of CP Victoria and Daniel Westling. During the procession to the head table, Princess Desiree curtsied to both her brother, King Carl XVI Gustaf, and her sister-in-law, Queen Silvia.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Does anyone know if the sisters of Beatrix or Harald or Carl Gustaf curtsey to their siblings?
As far as I know the Dutch Royal family don't curtsey, unless they are meeting with someone from another Royal family of a country that does curtsey.

I.e. at the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel, Princess Máxima would (most likely) have courtesied to Queen Margrethe, however here in the Netherlands, Princess Máxima does not curtsey to Queen Beatrix. She would (most likely) curtsey to Queen Margrethe if there was a Danish State Visit to the Netherlands.

PR
Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Current precedence of the Danish Royal Family

1) The Sovereign
2) The Prince Consort
3) The Crown Prince
4) The Crown Princess
5) Prince Christian
6) Princess Isabella
7) Prince Joachim
8) Princess Marie
9) Prince Nikolai
10) Prince Felix
11) Prince Henrik
12) Princess Benedikte
13) Princess Elisabeth

Current order of succession in the Danish Royal Family

1) Crown Prince
2) Prince Christian
3) Princess Isabella
4) Prince Jocahim
5) Prince Nikolai
6) Prince Felix
7) Prince Henrik
8) Princess Benedikte
9) Princess Elisabeth

The above is correct, yes?

Quote:
(*) A very, very common mistake is: Frederik, Kronprins af Danmark = Crown Prince of Denmark. That's not correct. His title is: Kronprins til Danmark = Crown Prince to Denmark. To, because he in the line of succession.
It's quite interesting the way things are phrased in Denmark.

Does this then mean that every prince or princess in the line of succession is not a prince/princess 'of' Denmark, rather, a prince/princess 'to' Denmark?

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Does this then mean that every prince or princess in the line of succession is not a prince/princess 'of' Denmark, rather, a prince/princess 'to' Denmark?
Yes, they are all to Denmark as opposed to of Denmark (currently only used when discussing Mary and Marie). All the biographies on Kongehuset.dk list those in the line of succession (Frederik + children, Joachim + children, Benedikte and Elisabeth) as Prins/Prinsesse til Danmark - their correct title - but as Muhler said, they are all more commonly referred to as ... OF Denmark.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Nobility

Quite often children are left off of orders of precedece. They don't usually attend the formal occasion where these apply. If they do, such as a church service, they normally sit with their parents anyway. They would never be at a State Banquet...
Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 AM
Majesty

Danish royal Titles

what were frederiks title during the period of his mther becoming queen and until he turned 18

was he the crown prince or just prince

his mother were never crown princess befre she become queen but that becouse she was a girl what i understand..
Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
what were frederiks title during the period of his mther becoming queen and until he turned 18

was he the crown prince or just prince

his mother were never crown princess befre she become queen but that becouse she was a girl what i understand..
He was a Prince.

QMII's title back then was: Prinsesse Margrethe til Danmark, Tronfølgeren = Princess Margrethe to Denmark, The Successor to the Throne.

She got that title, because a crown princess, (at least back then where boys came before girls), usually meant a woman married to a crown prince. Rather than an heir to the throne in her own right.

I guess that had Isabella been born as the first one, she would have gotten the title of crown princess, rather than just tronfølger/heir.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Serene Highness

It must have been His Royal Highness Prince Frederik of Denmark
Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It must have been His Royal Highness Prince Frederik of Denmark
From 26th May 1968 to 14th January 1972, he was His Royal Highness Prince Frederik of Denmark. So you're correct.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Gentry

What an insightful thread. The story about Henrik was amusing because I can just picture him having a fit over it!

I don't know if this has been answered in other threads but say QMII falls ill and wants to abdicate, making Frederik King. Would she be referred to as the Queen just like Mary would be? What would be her official title if that was to happen? As I don't think 'Queen mother' is an official title surely there would be something more formal? Is there a possibility she'll go back to being a Princess of Denmark?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcurious View Post
What an insightful thread. The story about Henrik was amusing because I can just picture him having a fit over it!

I don't know if this has been answered in other threads but say QMII falls ill and wants to abdicate, making Frederik King. Would she be referred to as the Queen just like Mary would be? What would be her official title if that was to happen? As I don't think 'Queen mother' is an official title surely there would be something more formal? Is there a possibility she'll go back to being a Princess of Denmark?
That's an interesting question as no Danish monarch has abdicated for health reasons since the 1100's (he got paralyzed). I guess she would keep her title as queen and have a status similar to Queen Ingrid. A kind of Queen Mother.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She'd be The Kings mother obviously.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She'd be The Kings mother obviously.
But still the 'Queen Mother' being that she'd be a Queen Dowager, and a mother

Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Really?
I understand what you mean; but she'd still the The Kings Mother in my head.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Well theres never been a 'King Mother' in modern European royal history, if at all. It would make sense that being a Queen Dowager, and should she so wish, that she could also be known as the 'Queen Mother' in reflection of her role as parent of the monarch, no matter the sex of that child.

To be known as the "King Mother' doesn't really reflect her position as A) a woman and B) the fact she was herself a female monarch. She was afterall a Queen, and not a King