The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 05-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
As for Mary's designer dresses and bags. She NEVER pays full price for any of her stuff, so don't worry, she is not going to bankrupt the Danish monarchy - at least not financially!
You are implying Mary is going to bankrupt the Danish Monarchy? Wow.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 05-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 273
Mary and the monarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
You are implying Mary is going to bankrupt the Danish Monarchy? Wow.
No implying here. I am saying, unless CP Mary gets her act together and her husband sorted out, her son will never be king of Denmark. That is my personal opinion, of course.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 05-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
yes, why is it we discuss mary's latest Prada bag and not her work? perhaps becaus ethe way mary carries out these official engagements is by the book, but rather irrelevant to modern society. A photo-op i sno longer enough to put an issue on the top op today's agenda - a fact the royals have to adapt to.

Miss Hauens comments are really old news. The idea of the royals not wanting us was aired years ago by Danish royal author Annelise Bidstrup. If they don't want the job, let them go! We have successions as long as the credits to Star Wars, so we can easily do without one or two of them! In some European monarchies, you will actually find the quality of the royal improves as you go down the list of succession!

The irrelevance to modern society? Please, please inform us what could be relevant! Please nothing about freebies and nothing about succession, this has nothing to do with RELEVANZ. Yes, maybe it should be changed, though it has nothing do to with the relevanz that something the royals do could have. What is it they could do without beeing ripped to pieces by exactly the same media that are asking for more relevanz?

Nice try to bring Diana along with the picture of her holding the hand of an aids patient. What is the difference to a photo op of CP Mary speaking, laughing with a dissabled person? Please explain the difference and no please don't tell us that Mary tries to hard. Why are you so sure that Diana was so sincere and Mary isn't? What is the proof? Maybe you could have mentioned in your book Marys involvment with her patronages that tackle some quite serious problems of people suffering with psychic problems or who are dissabled and so on (the list of her patronage is easily available, it doesn't matter if people think it's nothing else than a case for photo ops, if yes what is the difference between Mary and for example Princess Alexandra or Princess Diana?) instead of focusing on a alledgedly teary outburst of Mary because Frederik danced with an old flame?

I know that Miss Hauens comments are really old news. Whats with your book that you promote at this board? Isn't it mostly a collection of rumours and gossip sometimes half a century old? Partly backed up by interviews that are nearly as old as this gossips and rumours?

For example Frederiks "terrible" childhood. How old are this reports 30 - 35 years? Yes he himself has stated that his childhood wasn't a bed of roses, how old was he when he did so? My childhood wasn't a bed of roses too. Sometimes I've criticised my parents too, quite harshly, bid deal! Yes I'm still somewhat suffering. Though I'm still able to have a successful life and no I don't hate my parents and no my family isn't disfunctional, it's simple part of a non perfect life. Show me someone perfect and I show you a complete hypocrite. So, what does it say about Frederik and the royal family? A more or less honest outburst, exactly what the media asking for. And what are the media doing with something like this? Dekades later?

Frederiks many friends who told you something! Hm, how many are many? What kind of friends are this and more important; how old are this informations? And why have "they" given this informations to you? Frederik should have married Katja Storkholm? If he would have done so, maybe he would also have to face a divorce, like his younger brother who was married with the perfect princess for Denmark? Katja is history and nothing else, it doesn't have any purpose to bring her up. Sadly this isn't the only thing that should have been left in the past, unmentioned.

Ah ja and at the end of the day everything is Marys fault! If someone is searching of a quilty one, I think the blame have to be laid down in front of Margrethe who wasn't/isn't able to provide Denmark with a suitable heir, or has to be laid down in front of Frederik who wasn't/isn't able to get his act together, have given in and thrown everything away. Of course if Frederik would have done so, there wouldn't have been a divorce between Joachim and Alexandra, at least thats my opinion. How would the Dane have reactede to something like this? The opinion of quite a few Danes willed to express them at message boards isn't very flattering toward Joachim. Again different people have different opinions. Which part is the majority?

At least, I'm very well aware of the the fact that the danish royals aren't perfect. Nonetheless nothing I read in this thread can convince me that there is anything really usefull coming out of a certain book or this discussion.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 05-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .a, United States
Posts: 3,349
Knock of the snark, jabs, and overall intolerant tone in some of these recent posts. Is it really that hard to have a mature civil discourse between to opposing sides?!!

I'll answer for some of you: No. No, it is not.

If you cannot handle this type of this discourse then do not post in this topic. It is that simple.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 05-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
I - respectfully - disagree. It is so easy to always blame the media, but history has given us examples of royals, who managed to put their causes in the spotlight instead of their designer handbags! Who can forget Diana, Princess of Wales, when she shook that AIDS patients hand in 1987?
Actually, you'd be surprised how many. She herself, according to Patrick Jephson's book and other sources, was upset when she was trying to publicise landmine issues and the media only wanted to talk about her latest boyfriend. It was sort of ironic, given how she'd previously used her high media profile to wear a spectacular dress to some event or other and thereby ensure that a major speech of Charles's about an important social issue was comprehensively ignored by the media.

Given the choice of highlighting some worthy cause or fanning the flames of a real or manufactured scandal, it seems that significant elements of the press will do the latter in a heartbeat. Which is probably why Mary's charity activities get less column inches than her designer frocks or Fred's sailing. And if she stopped wearing designer frocks, no doubt those same elements of the media would be far more interested in that than in the causes she was championing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 05-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
No implying here. I am saying, unless CP Mary gets her act together and her husband sorted out, her son will never be king of Denmark. That is my personal opinion, of course.
Of cause you are intitled to have an opinion like that. But I do think you are seeing ghosts where there is non. In my opinion it will take a lot more to put an end to the danish monarcy then Mary wearing desinger-cloth. A nation just dosn't throw 1000 years of history aside because of a handbag

And when it comes to Frederik, I can't find any reason why he should be sorted out in any way - not by him self - and certainly not by his wife. In my opinion this is not the business of a wife - regardless if one is marryed to a crownprince or not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 05-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Aurora810's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 1,052
I have always had the impression that the Danish royals are rather popular with the Danes. I think it's easy to pick out things that the Danes don't do well or to criticize their work schedule. I suppose that is easy no matter what the monarchy. But the fact remains that only Denmark needs to be happy with the Queen and her descendents.

Personally, if I'm being completely honest when I venture into the Danish threads it's most likely to see what they are wearing. They really don't interest me beyond their clothes/style. And I certainly don't even need an endless amount of pictures just a few is enough for me! I don't know why but I have a hard time connecting with them. I would prefer to see them doing some different types of things(I prefer to be vague so as not to offend anyone). But they are Denmark's monarchy and if Denmark tolerates them that hey who am I to say anything. After all, I'm an American, my opinion means squat to the Danes.

Bottomline, we all connect with different royals on different levels. They don't seem to do things and be involved with things that really capture my attention so I tend to keep some distance. That and the fact that I find the Danish threads hard to communicate in.

However, I'm thinking that the Danes are one of the more solid monarchy's out there. I really would not think of them as a national waste. I'm actually surprised by some of the things said in this thread.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 05-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,014
Frederik does not want to be King. He has never wanted to be the Crown Prince ( at least not the part that means he'll take over after mom). He has never made any secret of how he feels about his role. Unfortunately, the danish royal family does not have a back-up plan in case the firstborn son does not like his destiny. The Danes will some day have to decide if they want a King that does want the job and is also ill prepared for it. Frederik has a very large responsibility on his shoulders - either grow up, get prepared and accept fate or possibly be the final straw that ends monarchy in Denmark.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 05-16-2008, 03:06 AM
Mandy's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 6,930
Please back up your opinions with links to reliable published reports or your post will be deleted. Thanks!

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderators
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 05-16-2008, 03:25 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,984
Its also been said for many years that Queen Elizabeth would have rather lived the country life of a county Duchess, but the fact remains that that wasn't meant to be and she is Queen. You can only face the task before you when your time beckons.

Quote:
Frederik has a very large responsibility on his shoulders
And there would bo no one who knows this better than Frederik.

Quote:
either grow up, get prepared and accept fate or possibly be the final straw that ends monarchy in Denmark.
I do have a chuckle when I see statements like this because how any of us can even imagine the responsibility or burden of hereditary monarchy, and further give instruction as to how someone should feel about their succession, and how they should deal with it, is incredibly...well, pompous.

How can we say he hasn't accepted his fate? We can't. How can we say he isn't preparing? We can't. And how does one prepare for one's parent to die?

I'd have thought his focuss should be on his current position, and not that of his mothers, as some would here propose. You cross that bridge when you come to it.

Denmark is no better or worse off, than any other constitutional monarchy. They all face various accusations and are from time to time, seen as pointless.

"Frederik can't talk properly and likes boating", "Charles is an eccentric gentleman who enjoys building villages and buying rare sheep, "Felipe is as interesting as a cardboard box" and "Philippe is politically outspoken and arrogant".

Goes on and on...
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 273
Mary's beauty contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Actually, you'd be surprised how many. She herself, according to Patrick Jephson's book and other sources, was upset when she was trying to publicise landmine issues and the media only wanted to talk about her latest boyfriend. It was sort of ironic, given how she'd previously used her high media profile to wear a spectacular dress to some event or other and thereby ensure that a major speech of Charles's about an important social issue was comprehensively ignored by the media.

Given the choice of highlighting some worthy cause or fanning the flames of a real or manufactured scandal, it seems that significant elements of the press will do the latter in a heartbeat. Which is probably why Mary's charity activities get less column inches than her designer frocks or Fred's sailing. And if she stopped wearing designer frocks, no doubt those same elements of the media would be far more interested in that than in the causes she was championing.
But Diana persisted! Today, when you mention landmines, AIDS care, leprocosy, Diana's name springs up immediately. She made a difference. CP Mary is trying to do the same - using the exact same words "Making a difference! in a speech recently - but the spotlight is still on Frederik's intimate chat with a young woman the other night, Mary's clothes style during the recent trip to Miami etc. etc. It is not all the medias fault. If the royals gave us - I include myself here, because I am a journalist albeit not working for a publication - something worthwhile, something out-of-the-box, something surprising, unexpected, whatever, maybe we would pay a bit more attention to their causes instead of always focusing on their looks and private lives. But why do we a write about Mary's hair style? Because people want to read about it! There is nothing wrong in that, but is that all there is to the Danish monarchy these days. Has it become a beauty contest?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 05-16-2008, 06:06 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 925
So, it's all about giving the media some extraordinary stories?
worthwhile = out-of-the-box = surprising = unexpected?

Please Mary play the same media game Diana played! Give the journalists some secret informations! Produce as many scandals as you can! And then, please let yourself be killed in a car-crash, so the media can start idolizing you! Please, please, please, please, please....Apparently that's the only way you can make the Danish monarchy worth it.

(Seriously: I didn't dislike Diana, in fact I was completely uninterested in her and only took notice when she died, but the first 2 things that come to my mind when I hear her name is scandal and self-promotion. I think she seriously damaged the monarchy and would have damaged it even more if she hadn't died. Besides, I find the media disgustingly hypocritical when it comes to Diana.)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 05-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
So, it's all about giving the media some extraordinary stories?
worthwhile = out-of-the-box = surprising = unexpected?
It would appear so. Seems some wish to turn the institution into a celebrity circus. How shameful.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 05-16-2008, 07:01 AM
biboquinhas's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portugal, Portugal
Posts: 2,983
Well I think nowadays living monarchy only exists because it is a very good way to divulge a Contry life and to captivate more people to visit and to live in that place! Only because of this. Royal family is kind of celebrity and is treated like so, they don't have legal power they don't rule a country, they are just nice and beautiful figures who help a country to become more known. They need to give the media some beautiful pictures because that is what people like and that helps to divulge a country.
__________________
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE provides food for an animal in a shelter or sanctuary. Feed an animal in need, click for free.http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 05-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: -, Ireland
Posts: 630
Quote:
But Diana persisted!
And she failed, when she died the press cared more about where she was going with her boyfriend than what she had being trying to do with landmines. The attention that she was trying to bring to landmines was being totally overshadowed by her personal life.
Quote:
Today, when you mention landmines, AIDS care, leprocosy, Diana's name springs up immediately. She made a difference
No she didn't. She made peple feal like soemone cared at the time but there is no after effect felt today to the work Diana did when she was alive in the general public. Sure those who she worked with probably have fond memories of it, but the same could be said for those who work with Mary. And as for her name springing up immediately, hardly and when it does usually it is as a result of those who have an agenda - it is used against Camilla, it is used against Charles, it is used to prop up her sons when they make stupid mistakes, it is used when a prince somewhere marries, when another princess carries out charity work but very rarely is her name used as a standalone tribute to charity work she carried out when alive.
Quote:
It is not all the medias fault.
Of course it is all the medias fault, you write the articles - it is your choice what you put in them. People want to read about Mary's hairstyle, then write about it but it doesn't have to be the main focus of the article. Write about the cause too, about what the point of the visit, the people they meet. Find a balance between the two.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 05-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Well I think nowadays living monarchy only exists because it is a very good way to divulge a Contry life and to captivate more people to visit and to live in that place! Only because of this. Royal family is kind of celebrity and is treated like so, they don't have legal power they don't rule a country, they are just nice and beautiful figures who help a country to become more known. They need to give the media some beautiful pictures because that is what people like and that helps to divulge a country.
I believe the interest a royal family generates, is reflective of the fact they are a link between the past and the present. The foremost symbol of a Kingdom or Grand Duchy which remains, the essence of that nation's societal hierarchy and the embodiment of political grandeur. The inherent representatives of an institution which is unmatched by any other.

Their stateliness, an aphrodisiac for the ever inquisitive and captivated public. It is pathetic, however, that it is all too often written about like it were a 'tinsel town' amusement.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 AM
biboquinhas's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portugal, Portugal
Posts: 2,983
I think it is almoust a beauty contest yes!!! Just scroll down the Royal house of fashion and read it!! But if it wasn't like that people wouldn't care for the Royal family at all and would't speak about it!
__________________
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE provides food for an animal in a shelter or sanctuary. Feed an animal in need, click for free.http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Has it become a beauty contest?
It largely becomes what the media makes it, regrettably. Media is the sensationalist perpetrator.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 273
Well, like it or not, the media is the tool with which the royal house communicates with its subjects. Without the media, today's royals would be nothing. The palace uses the media just as much as the media uses the palace!
I disagree completely in regard to the impact Diana had. She DID make a difference. Her legacy is not just about the car crash and the dodgy lover. She was - and still is - a princess, who mattered to people.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 05-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,899
Yes, but she didn't matter to people because of the causes she espoused - Princess Anne has a far longer record of charitable activities and so does Prince Charles - she mattered to people because of the emotional connection and the image. The causes were much farther down the list, and as Amelia said, the media weren't wildly interested in them except to (a) upstage Prince Charles and (b) lend some weight to Diana's image.

These days when people talk about AIDS, Diana is hardly ever mentioned. Yes, she's still identified with landmines, but again at the time she was trying to publicise the landmine problem, the people around her were saying how frustrating it was that the accompanying media folk only wanted to talk about her relationship with Dodi.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the monarchy worth keeping? diamondBrg British Royals 391 01-14-2008 07:16 AM
Mette-Marit opening Blåfjella-Skjækerfjell national park and Lierne national park Larzen Crown Prince Haakon & Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family 30 07-08-2006 07:43 AM
A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Alexandria Royal Chit Chat 24 05-10-2006 05:01 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena jordans king king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander palace picture thread pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]