The Danish Monarchy: Is it worth it? Nationalism or a National Waste?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but I am speaking on behalf of a GROWING number opf Danes!
:flowers:

Once again I simply don't agree with you. If you want to convince me - you have to state some statistical facts made upon scientific acknowledged surveys.

No permission needed

And yet, Princess Benedikte devides her time between both Denmark and Germany so it would seem such permission has been granted afterall (?) While it may not be her primary (official) place of residence, she does infact spend a good deal of time in Germany also.

Actually, Princess Benedikte spends a lot of time in Denmark. On average probably two weeks in Denmark every month! No permission has been granted, because her official address is at Amalienborg palace, so no permission is needed.:flowers:

Let's end the succession after Joachim and set his sons and Benedikte and Elisabeth free to go and explore the world!

I can see the logic in that. Though perhaps after Nikolai and Felix. As grandchildren of the monarch, I think their place in succession should still be observed.

Actually, Princess Benedikte spends a lot of time in Denmark. On average probably two weeks in Denmark every month! No permission has been granted, because her official address is at Amalienborg palace, so no permission is needed.

An equal half, then.

I see. Thank you for replying :)

Last edited:
Frede's IOC candidacy and the monarchy

Once again I simply don't agree with you. If you want to convince me - you have to state some statistical facts made upon scientific acknowledged surveys.

Well, you will probably NEVER believe me no matter what I write, so I won't bother with your "scientific surveys." Numbers can be used and abused, anyway! If you had followed the recent debate in Denmark concerning CP Frederik's IOC candidacy, you would know, what I am talking about..
:)

Let's end the succession after Joachim and set his sons and Benedikte and Elisabeth free to go and explore the world
There is not a single thing stopping them from doing that at the moment, there is nothing to stop Christian and Isabella from doing it in the future. All they have to do is just go -

Loosing your status

There is not a single thing stopping them from doing that at the moment, there is nothing to stop Christian and Isabella from doing it in the future. All they have to do is just go -

Yes, there is. If they want to keep their place in the succession, they have to have the Queen's consent. BUT if they go without her consent, they will loose their status as an heir to the Danish throne - the same way Frederik would have gained a wife, but lost a kingdom if he had persisted, gone against his mother's wishes and married Katja Storkholm.:)

Why can she not just be registered in Germany? Because she is part of the Danish succession. Does the monarchy really need her there? :lol:

She still functions as "head of state" when Magrete, Frederik and Joachim isn't in Denmark. So she still fills out a role needed - though it isn't as often now, as it was when Frederik and Joakim were of age. During their childhood and youth she had a huge role in Denmark, beeing the only one who could step in as Head of State, when Queen Margeret was abroad. Just kicking her out now "as just another german" would be downright naughty.

She still functions as "head of state" when Magrete, Frederik and Joachim isn't in Denmark. So she still fills out a role needed - though it isn't as often now, as it was when Frederik and Joakim were of age. During their childhood and youth she had a huge role in Denmark, beeing the only one who could step in as Head of State, when Queen Margeret was abroad. Just kicking her out now "as just another german" would be downright naughty.

"Just another German?" is that suitable in this forum? Are we not to refrain from any racial or national slurs?:flowers:

Well, you will probably NEVER believe me no matter what I write, so I won't bother with your "scientific surveys." Numbers can be used and abused, anyway! If you had followed the recent debate in Denmark concerning CP Frederik's IOC candidacy, you would know, what I am talking about..

Living in Denmark I have followed this very interesting debate and I like the idea of Frederik trying to modernise the monarcy - but at the same time this has political implications. Anyway, he would never be allowed to persue this line, if it had not in forhand been accepted and turned inside out by The Ministry of State. The royal house can hartly tip a toe without asking the permission of this minestry. So perhaps you chould bring your well-intentioned advice to them instead.

Last edited:
Yes, there is. If they want to keep their place in the succession, they have to have the Queen's consent. BUT if they go without her consent, they will loose their status as an heir to the Danish throne
No there's not. They have a choice - be an heir to the throne or not, it all comes down to what is more important to them. They are all free to make that choice.

"Just another German?" is that suitable in this forum? Are we not to refrain from any racial or national slurs?:flowers:

Oh, I an sure the german members of this forum (and others for that sake) knows this frase is not ment to be malicious nither to them as individual nor to their charming and beautifull nation:flowers:

Living in Denmark I have followed this very interesting debate and I like the idea of Frederik trying to modernise the monarcy - but at the same time this has political implications. Anyway, he would never be allowed to persue this line, if it had not in forhand been accepted and turned inside out by The Ministry of State. The royal house can hartly tip a toe without asking the permission af this minestry. So perhaps you chould bring your well-intentioned advice to them instead.

The only thing - unfortunately - CP Frederik is trying to modernise at the moment is his access to a leisurely life style! The Prime Ministers office has a say and a deciding influence in political matters. The Prime Minister - unfortunately - can not ask the CP of Denmark to pull his fingers out!:)

No there's not. They have a choice - be an heir to the throne or not, it all comes down to what is more important to them. They are all free to make that choice.

Free? Like in the "Duke of Windsor free," where he got his way, but lost almost all contact with his family? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is just a small reminder to keep things friendly and neutral, except for your own opinions. Please remember the rules, and if you need reminding, please see my signature.

Emperss - Danish forum moderator

Last edited:
The only thing - unfortunately - CP Frederik is trying to modernise at the moment is his access to a leisurely life style! The Prime Ministers office has a say and a deciding influence in political matters. The Prime Minister - unfortunately - can not ask the CP of Denmark to pull his fingers out!:)

Well living in a democracy you can write him a letter telling him, that you think he shouls do so. Just a surgestion as it seem to be quit an issue for you:flowers:

It is not an issue for me;)

Free? Like in the "Duke of Windsor free," where he got his way, but lost almost all contact with his family? :)
No not like "Duke of Windsor" free as I would hope they would make the choice before they were on the throne - more like Prince Michael free :)

can not ask the CP of Denmark to pull his fingers out!

I'd like to think that if it were of any real concern, that Margrethe, as both mother and the incumbent sovereign, would extend to Frederik her concerns.

And let us remain mindful that none of us here, are privy to what is discussed between mother and son.

In the more serious threads around the forum, if someone asserts something that is factual and checkable and someone else asks for backup data, it's the responsibility of the original poster to provide it.

So if you wouldn't mind posting some numbers to back up your claim that the monarchy is increasingly unpopular, as well as identifying the source of those numbers, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Maybe leave that decision to the form moderators?:flowers:

Last edited:
Wow! 84 posts to this thread in less than 36 hours. Is that a new TRF record?

Not being a Dane I wouldn't hazard to set forth an opinion as to how "most" or a "growing number" of Danes feel about their monarchy or the current monarch.:angel:

However I will set forth my opinion that each monarch brings something new to the institution. I'm sure Fred and Mary will do likewise when their turn comes. Change and adaptation come about as each new generation reigns, making the monarchy basically a self-evolving institution.

Those that are eager for their monarchies to catch up to the times need to have a little patience and, not wishing the Queen ill, wait for the "kids" to have a go.

Cat

Last edited:
Wow! 84 posts to this thread in less than 36 hours. Is that a new TRF record?

You weren't here when Charles and Camilla's engagement was announced, were you? I haven't checked, but I'd be surprised if this thread has grown faster than that one. That was a real :frazzled: experience.

Hmmm Join date 12/2007 - Nope, not around for the big Charles and Camilla announcement. Sorry I missed it!!!:D Is it archived in their subforum?

Cat:angel:

The only thing - unfortunately - CP Frederik is trying to modernise at the moment is his access to a leisurely life style!

One assumes you also have a link to back this claim or is this merely your opinion?

Cat

Hmmm Join date 12/2007 - Nope, not around for the big Charles and Camilla announcement. Sorry I missed it!!!:D Is it archived in their subforum?

Cat:angel:

In the interests of not derailing the thread, I'm PMing you the link.

Thank you, Elspeth. I have a feeling it would be pretty hard to derail this particular thread but at least we've lightened it up a bit!:)

Cat

Okay, I think CP Frederik should "pull his fingers out." What kind of information do I base that opinion on? His own website. In 2007, CP Frederik's own royal website states, he had approximately 70 - seventy - official engagements, give and take a few depending on how you count. In the same year, 2007, the Duke of Edinburg, who is pushing 90 years, had 380 -three hundrede and eighty.

In the more serious threads around the forum, if someone asserts something that is factual and checkable and someone else asks for backup data, it's the responsibility of the original poster to provide it.

So if you wouldn't mind posting some numbers to back up your claim that the monarchy is increasingly unpopular, as well as identifying the source of those numbers, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Maybe leave that decision to the form moderators?:flowers:

Sorry my attempt at being funny completely bombed here! :DThe latest poll taken on whether or not the Danes support Frederik's IOC-candidacy showed, that only around fifty percent supported his candidacy. For a monarchy, whose "approval rating" never goes below 80 percent, that is bad news. It means that half the country disagrees with the path taken by their CP. I sthat what the royals are here for: To divide their people?

Okay, I think CP Frederik should "pull his fingers out." What kind of information do I base that opinion on? His own website. In 2007, CP Frederik's own royal website states, he had approximately 70 - seventy - official engagements, give and take a few depending on how you count. In the same year, 2007, the Duke of Edinburg, who is pushing 90 years, had 380 -three hundrede and eighty.
Yes, I believe you already presented this as a type of evidence way back in this thread and that Elspeth (I think it was) commented on the different ways the royal houses count engagements. Rehashing the same stuff is not terribly exciting.

Sorry my attempt at being funny completely bombed here! :DThe latest poll taken on whether or not the Danes support Frederik's IOC-candidacy showed, that only around fifty percent supported his candidacy. For a monarchy, whose "approval rating" never goes below 80 percent, that is bad news. It means that half the country disagrees with the path taken by their CP. I sthat what the royals are here for: To divide their people?

Was this a legitimate poll or just an online survey where one answers yes or no to a question? To your knowledge, were there more than one poll? The reason I'm asking is that sometimes, polls are worded to get certain predictable results so that in effect the polls and the newspapers in which they are published are more divisive than the people about whom the polls were created.

Yes, I believe you already presented this as a type of evidence way back in this thread and that Elspeth (I think it was) commented on the different ways the royal houses count engagements. Rehashing the same stuff is not terribly exciting.

Not rehashing, simply stating facts provided by the royals themselves! Is there any other way of counting royal engagements?:flowers:

Was this a legitimate poll or just an online survey where one answers yes or no to a question? To your knowledge, were there more than one poll? The reason I'm asking is that sometimes, polls are worded to get certain predictable results so that in effect the polls and the newspapers in which they are published are more divisive than the people about whom the polls were created.

It was not an online poll. It was carried out by a polling agency on behalf of one of the broadsheet - either Politiken or Jyllands Posten, I think. I will find it!:flowers:

Okay, I think CP Frederik should "pull his fingers out." What kind of information do I base that opinion on? His own website. In 2007, CP Frederik's own royal website states, he had approximately 70 - seventy - official engagements, give and take a few depending on how you count. In the same year, 2007, the Duke of Edinburgh, who is pushing 90 years, had 380 -three hundrede and eighty.

As I said before, the British have a different way of counting their engagements than the other royals. They always come up with an enormous amount of engagements as they list each and every part of a visit as a seperate engagement.

For example the Danes would list : CP Frederik visited Aarhus this morning to visit a hospital (as 1 event)
In the UK: The Duke of Edinburgh went in the car to Glasgow (1), he was greeted by the mayor (2) after which he spoke to the staff of the hospital (3). He visited some patients (4) and after that he enjoyed lunch in the restaurant of the hospital (5).

I am not saying that the DoE doesn't have a busy life for a man his age, but as the British royals count things like that you can not compare it to the more modest way of counting done by most continental families.

If you/anyone want to see if CP Frederik has more or less engagement than the average royals it would be a start to count how many engagements his continental counterparts have. As most RF's publish their agenda's and count the engagements in a simular way that should not be too difficult. But comparing to the British is not an honest comparison, as said, they cheat ;)...

Still, that doesn't mean that 70 engagements, counting the continental way, is a high amount indeed. Esp. as it also includes things like christenings and such. I share your impression that Frederik does enjoy a lot of free time indeed, more than any other crownprince(ss) of his generation.

Last edited:

I still think it's not right to compare such different people. They belong to different countries and their role is different too. But 380 official engagements compared to 70 is a Huge difference! Anyway, more important than quantity is quality, and IMO Frederik and Mary are doing a good job. Here at the TRF, most Danish posters like them, from what I can read on the Danish Forums. I think Queen Margareth won't be the last Monarch of Denmark, and Monarchy is still worthy because the people is with them.

It was not an online poll. It was carried out by a polling agency on behalf of one of the broadsheet - either Politiken or Jyllands Posten, I think. I will find it!:flowers:

The poll was carried out by Capacent Epinion for DR News in April of this year. It shows that 42 percent of the Danes support CP Frederik's IOC candidacy. 33 percent oppose it. 16 percent neither support nor oppose it and 8 percent don't have an opinion.:flowers:

As I said before, the British have a different way of counting their engagements than the other royals. They always come up with an enormous amount of engagements as they list each and every part of a visit as a seperate engagement.

For example the Danes would list : CP Frederik visited Aarhus this morning to visit a hospital (as 1 event)
In the UK: The Duke of Edinburgh went in the car to Glasgow (1), he was greeted by the mayor (2) after which he spoke to the staff of the hospital (3). He visited some patients (4) and after that he enjoyed lunch in the restaurant of the hospital (5).

I am not saying that the DoE doesn't have a busy life for a man his age, but as the British royals count things like that you can not compare it to the more modest way of counting done by most continental families.

If you/anyone want to see if CP Frederik has more or less engagement than the average royals it would be a start to count how many engagements his continental counterparts have. As most RF's publish their agenda's and count the engagements in a simular way that should not be too difficult. But comparing to the British is not an honest comparison, as said, they cheat ;)...

Still, that doesn't mean that 70 engagements, counting the continental way, is a high amount indeed. Esp. as it also includes things like christenings and such. I share your impression that Frederik does enjoy a lot of free time indeed, more than any other crownprince(ss) of his generation.

I take your point about different ways of counting these engagements, but if you say the British are cheating, how about the Danes? Frederik's sailing is INCLUDED in his official engagements. When he is racing his Farr40 boat somewhere in the world, it counts as a royal engagement! The palace argument: "He is representing Denmark!"

It means that half the country disagrees with the path taken by their CP

that only around fifty percent supported his candidacy

So your saying 50% of the Danish populous don't support the Crown Prince's candidacy to the IOC which can only suggest, by your above statement, that every Danish citizen, participated in the survey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom