The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Serene Highness

A book of this type will always bring comments from many points of view. We in America always have "Monday morning quarterbacks" giving their opinion after the event and stating exactly what should have been done and at what time. I personally believe the DRF acted with respect and compassion. I don't believe they had to attend a synagogue to acknowledge this as the terror attack was a reprehensible act over a cartoon and freedom of speech. If the artists were Catholic, would everyone expect the DRF to attend a Cathedral? Yes, the Rabbi felt this way and he has a perfect right to his opinion but apparently it is not the opinion of the majority. I sincerely hope it does not start a big ta-do as it is certainly not needed. People must learn to safe-guard themselves. The governments can not be required to show favoritism. Groups must also be required to take responsibility for their own actions. Freedom of speech MUST be honored by all. This Rabbi was given his speech freedom by writing this book. If the Muslims want to write a book, let them, just not their way, apparently. But to get back to the original debate, I believe the DRF acted correctly and reverently.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think the differnece would be if the hypothetically catholic cartoonist would be attacked because he is catholic, which was not the case. But the Jewish synagoge was a target for just being a Jewish place of worship, with Jewish people. It is their Jewish religion/identity that made them targets, nothing else.

Anyway, back to Denmark: I don't think a special service in a synagoge would be needed. But aknowledging in some way that the Jewish Danes have a higher risk of being butchered by these maniacs would be a start. But it is the government who should take such steps, certainly not the RF. Again, this is not a Danish issue alone but more pressing in other parts of Western Europe.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Majesty

In all fairness it has to be said that the DRF and their reaction, or according to the rabbi, almost passive behavior, is just a part of the book. Where the rabbi also complain (my expression) about a minister banning ritual slaughtering of animals where the animal is not killed or knocked out before being slaughtered and also the current debate about possible banning of circumcision of small boys for religious reasons.

That is probably the main reason for the harsh reaction to what he had to say. And to be honest I'm not too impressed with the rabbi either.
- Easy now, Bent Lexner. While the synagogue was also a target, the main target of the attack was a Swede. Two Danes were killed, one of them happened to be a Jew. It wasn't just an attack on Jews, it was an attack on the society as a whole, so IMO the DRF did right in expression sympathy for all and attending a general memorial ceremony.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
. . . . . But Frederik along with a number of top politicians also attended the first official memorial gathering in Copenhagen. When the gathering had ended Frederik said: "I'm after all also a part of Denmark - and Copenhagen".
I think Frederik said it all. Essentially "I am a part of Denmark - and Copenhagen".

Was he not saying that he was there representing the DRF because they are as much a part of Denmark and Copenhagen as any others present. The pain of those present was their pain too. It seems that religion is irrelevant. He and the DRF are totally representative of the Danes of Denmark. End of story!
Old 06-03-2015, 02:27 AM
Majesty

I agree. Marg.

However, the story continues: Kongehuset overrasket over kritik: 'Vi kan ikke genkende det billede' - Royale | www.bt.dk

The Rabbi has been interviewed to the conservative and serious newspaper Berlingske, where he does admit that QMII came out with a statement expressing sympathy and that Frederik did attend a public ceremony. But he is still disappointed that Frederik didn't attend a service in the synagogue, since the PM was present.

Here is what the rabbi, Bent Lexner is quoted for saying in the article:
"You know what, the Crown Prince could have found time in his calendar. It wasn't that booked on that occasion. But the court informed me a couple of hours before the servie that he couldn't (attend). But he ought to have been there. I'm actually also puzzled that the DRF thanks no, when we last year celebrated the 200th anniversary for the Jewish letter of freedom in Denmark in 1814 (*)
If I am to interprete, it could have something to do of being afraid for how it would be perceived. What if it was a mosque that was to be inaugurated? (**) Time and time again you experience that people are being more and more afraid of putting focus on yourself in regards to the Jewish community, because what if you also have to put focus on yourself in regards to the Muslim community".

BT writes in the article that the DRF has attended several events in recent years in regards to Jews. Like going to Auschwitz and commemorating the evacuation of the Jewish community in 1943.

Lene Balleby from the pr office says: "We are somewhat surprised of what Bent Lexner had to say. We cannot recognize the image he draws. but we will of course like to discuss it with the Jewish community, if there is an interest in that".
The DRF declines to comment on what Bent Lexner said specifically.

The articles in Berlingske, which I don't have time to read right now: Bent Lexner om livet som rabbiner og tidens trusler - Bøger | www.b.dk
http://www.b.dk/nationalt/kronprinse...i-sin-kalender

(*) Denmark suffered a state bankruptcy in 1814 in the aftermath of Napoleon's defeat that year. DK was among the last allies of Napoleon, after the British bombardment of Copenhagen in 1807.
In connection with the financial troubles came riots in the streets, directed not least against the Jews. The king dealt very firmly with that, sending in dragoons to scatter any rioters they found and at the same time expressing his support for the Jews by granting them full civil rights. (Before that there were limitations in regards to how big a fortune a Jew must have in order to even settle in Denmark and also limitations where to live and what occupations to have).

(**) Sorry, Bent Lexner. When the first purpose build mosque was inaugurated a few years back QMII did not show up, despite being specifically invited. No members of the DRF have visited a mosque here in DK yet, AFAIK.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

It also should be noted, i think, that Frederik in 2013 was the first royal from a Scandinavian country to visit Jerusalem in Israel.
The Crown Prince's visit was in commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the rescue of the Danish Jews.
Peres thanks Denmark's royalty for saving country's Jews during the Holocaust | i24news - See beyond

I dont know, but it seems the rabbi should have voiced his opinions back then and not now later with his book.

I think Frederik at the mass commemoration was right on, being one with the community, with all of Denmark.