The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

As you know Frederik yesterday evening attended the large beautiful memorial service in Copenhagen among 40,000 Danes. And that's exactly what makes Frederik so hugely loved and respected. He is the people's man. Maybe it's a Danish thing, but to see 'our top' mingle with the people is something we value very highly. And maybe especially at such an occasion like yesterday.

On Facebook it's clear. I think I would like to share a few of them which are liked and shared thousands of times:

So far 41,000+ likes and it's just a post from a ordinary Dane:
"This is my future King - totally calm (in Danish it means being down to earth), no need to stand in the first row, nothing special - he's just there to help supporting his and my country. It's a lovely picture - I'm so proud of him, of me, of my country and of all of us."
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

From Politiken (may be one of our most serious newspapers)
https://www.facebook.com/politiken/p...53597840433294

One more (borrowing my screenshot I see, hmm)
https://www.facebook.com/23522781666...941891/?type=1

Some of the comments which have recieved the most likes:

"We have a fantastic Queen, but the Crown Prince becomes King of my time. Exalted above all of us like a King should be. And when the case demands it he is just one of us. An ordinary citizen among his people who is deeply saddened by this horror. The Crown Prince Couple certainly leads a needed modernity into the royal family."

"There are not many countries where the Crown Prince/Crown Prince Couple in that extent can be a part of the common population. And this is precisely what we must cherish. Safety and unity."

"He has always had my full support. Damn, he is the country worthy. They become a folksy King and Queen."

ADDED:

A BB video of Frederik and the 40,000 Danes attending the memorial service with John Lennons "Imagine" being sung:
VIDEO: Kronprins Frederik og danskerne rørt over de dræbte | Billed Bladet

And now it's time to move forward, and live and work as before. As our PM said in her speech yesterday: We must be careful that the reactions do not become overreactions.

I couldn't agree more!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Mange tak Muhler. It was reported that the Copenhagen shootings were a 'copycat' for the Paris atrocity; I am comforted that the reaction of the people of Copenhagen is also similar to what happened in Paris. I would not be surprised if similar gatherings were held throughout Denmark, just as was the case throughout France. Jeg er Kobenhaven! (I hope I got the Danish correct!)
Thank you, Gerry.

Yes, there were quite a number of ceremonies all over the country yesterday.

And Roskilde indeed has a point in regards to Frederik. This is one of the moments when the DRF and royalty in general serves it's most important function: To be a rallying or focus point in a time of crisis.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Another gallery of Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Henrik paying homage yesterday:

** pm gallery: Frederik et Henrik rendent hommage aux victimes des attentats **
Old 02-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Beautiful gathering. Times like these in history truly do make a country stronger. My thoughts are with all the Danes at this time.

Also, for the first time, in these pictures, I can see Cp Frederick as the future King. For some reason, before, I could only really see him as a man trying to look the part, but like I said I can see the future King in him with these pictures.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I saw the coverage of the vigil on the BBC News last night, and I was very impressed with the crowds. I also thought the same about the crowds in Paris.

I agree, it was great that Frederik attended, and also that Prince Henrik paid his respects at the memorial at the Danish Embassy in Paris. Queen Margrethe also released a statement following the shootings (I'm not sure if her statement has been posted, but it was released on kongehuset.dk).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Serene Highness

King Carl Gustaf of Sweden sent his condolances.

Sveriges kong Carl Gustaf sender sine kondolencer til Danmark | Billed Bladet
Old 02-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Madness...
Old 02-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

A moment of reflection...
Lovely photo of Frederik found on twitter
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-D4g7kIcAA4Sn6.jpg

Michael H. Løgtholt @mloegtholt · Impressions from the commemoration for the victims of terror in cph #cphshooting #vimindes #kronprinsfrederik
Old 02-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

My goodness...truly does capture the heartbreak.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Majesty

Shades of Christian X.The Danish King Chr. X
Old 02-18-2015, 06:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Yesterday, Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik kept a press conference for Dutch journalists in connection with the upcoming state visit. Margrethe also talked about last weekend's episodes. It in english so you can understand it. She said it pretty well. Shocked, but not surprised. And Denmark has moved on now - as we should.

Video: Dronningen frygtede terror i Danmark efter Paris-angreb | Nyhederne.tv2.dk
Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Nobility

Very nice video, thank you for posting it. I notice that the Queen said ''my countrymen'' instead of ''my country.'' Small, but profound, difference.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

lovely picture of Frederik on the cover of BB
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bil...?itok=aU5P50XG

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/h...64920796_n.jpg
Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 PM
Majesty

Trivia based on article in Billed Bladet #8, 2015.
Written by Henrik Salling.

Representing the DRF Frederik has been mingling with people on a personal level in the aftermath of the terror attack.
That is in meeting and thanking police officers at the police headquarters in Copenhagen. And not only the top brass but also some of the officers who had been on duty during the weekend.
But Frederik along with a number of top politicians also attended the first official memorial gathering in Copenhagen. When the gathering had ended Frederik said: "I'm after all also a part of Denmark - and Copenhagen".
Frederik spoke with former chief-rabbi, Bent Melchior. With the singer who sang the first song at the memorial (the one about not being able to tie down our spirit), Pernille Rosendahl. The chairman of the Police Association and a number of politicians of Copenhagen municipality.
Present were also the French ambassador and the Swedish PM.

In the late afternoon, PH visited the Danish embassy in Paris and placed flowers there in respect of the victims. France, still recovering from the Charlie Hebdo attack has in particular showered Denmark with spontaneous sympathy.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
When the gathering had ended Frederik said: "I'm after all also a part of Denmark - and Copenhagen".
A wonderful statement
thanks Muhler

Do you think there will be more memorials?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
A wonderful statement
thanks Muhler

Do you think there will be more memorials?
There have already been several more such public gatherings.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:14 AM
Heir Apparent

This weeks issue of Billed Bladet naturally focus at the terror attack and memorial ceremony: "Crown Prince Frederik shoulder to shoulder with the Danes"

https://scontent-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...87&oe=555148F5
Old 06-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Majesty

A Danish rabbi, Bent Lexner, has written a book. In that book he express his disappointment that the DRF didn't go to the synagogue in Copenhagen for the memorial service there after terror attack, nor did they come to the synagogue to lay flowers, nor express specific sympathy for the Jews:
Jødisk overhoved: Hvor var kongehuset efter terrorangrebet? - Danmark | www.bt.dk

He is getting a veritable broadside back in return from the public on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ditbt/posts/1145424762151407

The DRF did show sympathy for all the victims. - And that is pointed out in the comments. Apart from that he's told to stop sulking and that it wasn't just an attack on Jews.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Not only an attack on Jews perhaps. An attack on the free word (in the shape of the cartoonist) and the Jews. Jewish institutions and Jewish people have been the no. 1 target for these lunatics. It is quite sad and worrying that while it seemed that antisemitism -one of the darkest things of our continent- was finally put to rest, it has returned to Europe these last years. Jewish schools need to be secured, even the Anne Frank house needs extra security. It is such a scary deja-vu. And in the mean time the various states -including my own- do very, very little to safeguard this group. I think it would have been a good signal if more solidarity with tour Jewish countrymen would be shown by our leaders.

To tell the rabbi to 'stop sulking' is really missing the point and IMHO downright insulting. As I said, it is beyond a doubt that esp. the Jewish citizens are a target for these nutters. It is very easy to say such things by people who do not have to send their children to secured schools, or that need to shop in places where extra security is needed etc.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
A Danish rabbi, Bent Lexner, has written a book. In that book he express his disappointment that the DRF didn't go to the synagogue in Copenhagen for the memorial service there after terror attack, nor did they come to the synagogue to lay flowers, nor express specific sympathy for the Jews:
Jødisk overhoved: Hvor var kongehuset efter terrorangrebet? - Danmark | www.bt.dk

He is getting a veritable broadside back in return from the public on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ditbt/posts/1145424762151407

The DRF did show sympathy for all the victims. - And that is pointed out in the comments. Apart from that he's told to stop sulking and that it wasn't just an attack on Jews.
It seems its not the DRF policy to go to individual funerals or ceremonies.
They did correct in attending the memorial for all victims.