State Visit from The Netherlands to Denmark: March 17-19, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Henrik's shoes would be funny as home slippers in front of the living room fire place. But at the Gala?:ROFLMAO::bang:

DM King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima signed shortly before departure from Fredensborg Palace 19 March 2015 a window pane. It has more than 140 years been customary for heads of state and guests of princely rank indridser their names in a window in one of the castle windows at the end of a visit. Read more about the practice .
The images can be downloaded for editorial use - please see Press Photos .
Photographer: Christian Meyer, The Royal Family ©

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Here are their signatures

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAcsUbYXIAAlPXs.jpg

To all the Dutch Members of the Board , you have Great Royals , warm , respectful , smiling, handsome , loving each other etc...
your Consort Queen wears the Grand Jewels perfectly !
Well done and congratulations !

Prince Henrik's shoes would be funny as home slippers in front of the living room fire place. But at the Gala?:ROFLMAO::bang:
His shoes (The Albert slippers) are worn about the house with a black tie. It's Victorian thing, old school style.

In the kingdom the King never signs with 'R' (from Rex, or in case of a Queen, from Regina).

When not in the kingdom, the King signs with an R. Also his mother had this habit. Probably they have the idea that the 'R' is not needed because we may assume everyone in the Netherlands knows who is meant with 'Willem-Alexander'.

The King's usual signature

The King's "foreign signature"

:flowers:

The ladies were incredible, looking to perfection, It was a joy to see all this incredible photos! wonder how much time they have in between to get ready? do they have some relax time too in between? and Do Maxima travel with her pwn hair stylist and assistant ot the Danish provided it for her? Did they stay at Amaliengbor Palace?
I really enjoy it all the phtos and everything of this visit so glad she recycle her coronation dress!

Due to the Tuesday noon deadline Billed Bladet this week only covers the arrival an there are a couple of trivia from the article.

King WA was a co-pilot on the flight from Amsterdam to Copenhagen.
Our Marie almost lost her balance when she curtseyed to the King.

The ladies were incredible, looking to perfection, It was a joy to see all this incredible photos! wonder how much time they have in between to get ready? do they have some relax time too in between? and Do Maxima travel with her pwn hair stylist and assistant ot the Danish provided it for her? Did they stay at Amaliengbor Palace?
I really enjoy it all the phtos and everything of this visit so glad she recycle her coronation dress!

King WA and Queen Maxima stayed at Fredensborg, where the Regent Couple also lives, as their mansion at Amalienborg is being renovated.

They would probably have enjoyed staying with M&F as the close friends they are, but that would have been inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

The itineraries have been pretty packed, but I am sure some down time was built into the schedule. This would have allowed the couples to rest, deal with any of the day job that needs attention, perhaps speak to the children (for WA & Max) / spend some time with the children (F&M) and get dressed to perform again.

I have no doubt Max travels with her own hair dresser and ladies maid.

Wonderful video and very interesting too! WA talking German with Benedikte and Richard, Máxima talking French with Marie and both talking French with Henrik. And this time no curtsey from Mary just friendly kissing. :)
I noticed that as well. Both them playing their part as the evening's hosts very well.

Thank you Muhler and Muriel ! so I guess al the PET and ladies maid, assistance and all of the set sta at fredersbog too?

Thank you Muhler and Muriel ! so I guess al the PET and ladies maid, assistance and all of the set sta at fredersbog too?

Most likely. :)
There should be plenty of room, because according to a diplomatic practice if a visiting head of state on a state visit has up to twenty people in the retinue, the host country will pay for their accommodation. If there are more than twenty, the visiting country will foot the bill for the extra "guests".

The idea is of course to keep costs down for poor countries and also avoid "harassment" where a visiting head of state bring along say 2.000 in the retinue, which would be extremely expensive for the host nation, not to mention the logistical problems.

Most likely. :)
There should be plenty of room, because according to a diplomatic practice if a visiting head of state on a state visit has up to twenty people in the retinue, the host country will pay for their accommodation. If there are more than twenty, the visiting country will foot the bill for the extra "guests".

The idea is of course to keep costs down for poor countries and also avoid "harassment" where a visiting head of state bring along say 2.000 in the retinue, which would be extremely expensive for the host nation, not to mention the logistical problems.

Yes you are right like the president of Mexico aparentely he resently took to the vist in the UK 100 people! and the Mexicans they were very upset!

Did Princess Elisabeth receive an order from Willem Alexander?

I notice that the Scandinavian Royals and the British the ladys use this brooche in formal events with the photo of the Queen/King but not the Dutch, is any reason for that?

It was a wonderful visit and so lovely to see all those heart warming photos. Many thanks to all who posted links and gifs and information. I never realized before how tall WA and Maxima were. The blue inauguration gown perfectly matched the sapphire tiara, I hope she wears it more often. It is a stunning dress.

I notice that the Scandinavian Royals and the British the ladys use this brooche in formal events with the photo of the Queen/King but not the Dutch, is any reason for that?

Incidentally medaillons were given but not on such a regular scheme as in the countries you mentioned. On this picture you see a medaillon depicting Prince Willem IV of Orange-Nassau, wearing the insignia of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, given to his spouse Anne of Great Britain and Hannover, The Princess Royal.

It were not always medaillons. On this picture you see a golden bracelet with a medaillon depicting the then Prince of Orange (the later King Willem II) which was given to his spouse Anna Paulovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia.

On this picture you probably see the most expensive medaillon around: the profile of King Willem III carved in a rock-hard diamond! Given to his spouse Princess Emma von Waldeck und Pyrmont.

So apparently the Dutch had this habit too, often in very expensive form, but maybe it 'died' because the royal family became extremely small: King Willem III survived all his sons and had only one daughter from his second marriage. Queen Wilhelmina had only one daughter. So for decades the royal family consisted of no more than two/three persons.

Thank you very much to everyone who has kept us updated with this wonderful occasion :flowers:

I have enjoyed watching the events so much (and rather sad it is over).

Incidentally medaillons were given but not on such a regular scheme as in the countries you mentioned. On this picture you see a medaillon depicting Prince Willem IV of Orange-Nassau, wearing the insignia of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, given to his spouse Anne of Great Britain and Hannover, The Princess Royal.

It were not always medaillons. On this picture you see a golden bracelet with a medaillon depicting the then Prince of Orange (the later King Willem II) which was given to his spouse Anna Paulovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia.

On this picture you probably see the most expensive medaillon around: the profile of King Willem III carved in a rock-hard diamond! Given to his spouse Princess Emma von Waldeck und Pyrmont.

So apparently the Dutch had this habit too, often in very expensive form, but maybe it 'died' because the royal family became extremely small: King Willem III survived all his sons and had only one daughter from his second marriage. Queen Wilhelmina had only one daughter. So for decades the royal family consisted of no more than two/three persons.

Thank you! it is incredible! I could not see the third photo, but the first one and the second one, are incredible. you know actually I thought that can be a nice gesture between communers when the familys gather together for a big event to have this kind of medallons but with the photo of the people that passed and we love , like my mother could have my fother in a medallion and my cousins their mother , but I tried to find wher e to get it done and even in the most cheap materials still expensive. but I think it is a nice thought! I don't know what it was the idea behin them in those days

Dutch State Visit to Denmark: March 17-19, 2015

I have a question regarding the state banquet. Is it just dinner with music playing during dinner? Or is it like a state dinner in the United States where the dinner has music playing in the background but once the meal is over guests move into another room for some type of cultural performance (ie a small concert or dance performance). I have never seen anything regarding this on the boards before.

And if it's just dinner, do guests leave once the royals are out of the room? Or does the queen politely dismiss them by saying thank you for coming and hoping the guests get the hint to leave? I'm not sure what the protocol is and I'm curious as we've had dinner parties before where guests truly don't get the hint that it's over and they need to leave.

Perhaps Muhler, who is so knowledgeable about these things might know something. Thank you in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the state banquet. Is it just dinner with music playing during dinner? Or is it like a state dinner in the United States where the dinner has music playing in the background but once the meal is over guests move into another room for some type of cultural performance (ie a small concert or dance performance). I have never seen anything regarding this on the boards before.

And if it's just dinner, do guests leave once the royals are out of the room? Or does the queen politely dismiss them by saying thank you for coming and hoping the guests get the hint to leave? I'm not sure what the protocol is and I'm curious as we've had dinner parties before where guests truly don't get the hint that it's over and they need to leave.

Perhaps Muhler, who is so knowledgeable about these things might know something. Thank you in advance!!

Beforehand, i.e. the 70's and 80's it was common for the guests to be shuttled to a gala performance at the National Theater. Usually a ballet, A Folks Tale (the national ballet-performance). That was shown live on the only public service channel back then.
But nowadays it's dinner with music and then coffee, brandy and what else in adjescent rooms. The royals mingle and talk to as many guests as possible, albeit only a few words. But quite a few representatives for businesses and culture are invited to such gala dinners as well and they more or less talk business while waiting for a royal to get near. - Or perhaps waiting for their turn to approach the Regent Couple and the visiting head of state, because I don't think QMII and PH do a lot of walking anymore. It's much more likely they leave the actual mingling to the younger royals I.e. Mary, Frederik, Joachim and our Marie.

Beforehand, i.e. the 70's and 80's it was common for the guests to be shuttled to a gala performance at the National Theater. Usually a ballet, A Folks Tale (the national ballet-performance). That was shown live on the only public service channel back then.
But nowadays it's dinner with music and then coffee, brandy and what else in adjescent rooms. The royals mingle and talk to as many guests as possible, albeit only a few words. But quite a few representatives for businesses and culture are invited to such gala dinners as well and they more or less talk business while waiting for a royal to get near. - Or perhaps waiting for their turn to approach the Regent Couple and the visiting head of state, because I don't think QMII and PH do a lot of walking anymore. It's much more likely they leave the actual mingling to the younger royals I.e. Mary, Frederik, Joachim and our Marie.

Thank you so much Muhler!! I knew that you would have the answer! It is much appreciated!

Thank you! it is incredible! I could not see the third photo, but the first one and the second one, are incredible. you know actually I thought that can be a nice gesture between communers when the familys gather together for a big event to have this kind of medallons but with the photo of the people that passed and we love , like my mother could have my fother in a medallion and my cousins their mother , but I tried to find wher e to get it done and even in the most cheap materials still expensive. but I think it is a nice thought! I don't know what it was the idea behin them in those days

See the attachment, it was a picture made by an online-exposition of miniatures of the Orange-Nassaus by the Koninklijk Huisarchief in The Hague, years ago. This one is the medaillon with King Willem III's profile carved in a large diamond (!) and given to his fiancée Princess Emma von Waldeck und Pyrmont.

With the 're-styling' of the Royal House website sadly lots of detail pictures were removed. This was stored on my pc.

Attachments

• Diamanten-hanger-470-van-Stichting-historische-verzamelingen-van-het-huis-Oranje-Nassau-staat-op.jpg
    Diamanten-hanger-470-van-Stichting-historische-verzamelingen-van-het-huis-Oranje-Nassau-staat-op.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,572
Last edited:

So to see Princess Elisabeth has not received an Order by Queen Juliana (1953), Queen Beatrix (1984) or King Willem-Alexander (2015)...

Or she has received an Order but forgot to wear it? No idea...

:ermm: :ohmy: :sad:

See the attachment, it was a picture made by an online-exposition of miniatures of the Orange-Nassaus by the Koninklijk Huisarchief in The Hague, years ago. This one is the medaillon with King Willem III's profile carved in a large diamond (!) and given to his fiancée Princess Emma von Waldeck und Pyrmont.

With the 're-styling' of the Royal House website sadly lots of detail pictures were removed. This was stored on my pc.

wow I can not imagine the cost of that!! diamonds, platinum hummm exquisite!
the other ones, what kind of material they were using for the photos, actually are not photos correct?

Back
Top Bottom