The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
sgl's Avatar
sgl sgl is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ~, United States
Posts: 4,826
Does anyone know what orders these people are wearing? (I am presuming they must be Danish orders, but I can't seem to locate any info):

Billed-Bladet - Russisk galla i Fredensborg

Billed-Bladet - Russisk galla i Fredensborg
__________________

__________________
Be sure to visit the blog!
"I look just like the girls next door...if you happen to live next door to an amusement park"-Dolly Parton
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,123
Are they both wearing the danneborg pin? like Mary sometimes wears on her dresses?
And the sashes, are they family ones?
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 PM
sgl's Avatar
sgl sgl is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ~, United States
Posts: 4,826
The man looks like he is wearing the cross of the Dannebrog, but his sash is definitely not that of the Order of Dannebrog. The woman is not wearing the Dannebrog pin. I don't know of any family orders that have sashes. The only family orders that I have ever seen are the ones that the Scandinavian women wear of the photo of their monarch. I've seen that burgundy sash before, but I've never been able to find info on it. The woman's sash looks like that of the royal order of Monaco, but I'm not sure.

Edit: The Greeks have an order that is typically given to female family members-the Order of St. Olga and St. Sofia; however, that sash is blue.



Okay...I found the info about this man's order. It is a German order called the Order of Merit:
Orders, Decorations and Medals - Medals by Country - Medals of Germany

Billed-Bladet - Russisk galla i Fredensborg

I'm still wondering about the woman with the red/white order and the golden sash of the man seated next to Crown Princess Mary at the dinner:
Billed-Bladet - Russisk galla i Fredensborg
Edit: found it-Greek Order of the Phoenix:
http://www.greekroyalfamily.gr/asset...RS%20(ENG).pdf

Billed-Bladet - Russisk galla i Fredensborg
__________________
Be sure to visit the blog!
"I look just like the girls next door...if you happen to live next door to an amusement park"-Dolly Parton
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Are they both wearing the danneborg pin? like Mary sometimes wears on her dresses?
Mary doesn't have a Danneborg 'pin' ? HRH isn't a member of the order, yet.

The Crown Princess wears a miniature portrait of HM the Queen, that is all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
the man seated next to Crown Princess Mary at the dinner:
That man happens to be the Prime Minister.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-29-2010, 03:11 PM
sgl's Avatar
sgl sgl is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ~, United States
Posts: 4,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Mary doesn't have a Danneborg 'pin' ? HRH isn't a member of the order, yet.

The Crown Princess wears a miniature portrait of HM the Queen, that is all.




That man happens to be the Prime Minister.
Yes, I realize that; however, for the purposes of my question, it is easier to describe him as the man seated next to the Crown Princess. Not everybody can identify by sight the Danish Prime Minister.

But thank you for pointing that out

Also-many people read this site in an effort to learn something about royalty. Not everyone may know the official terms for the items associated with royal orders. A polite, "It is called a badge, medal and ladies' bow, or breast star; not a pin" is much nicer (IMO) than putting quotes around the word the poster used. If you happen to know the correct terms, then please share your knowledge. Do not hold it against another member if he/she does not use the term.
__________________
Be sure to visit the blog!
"I look just like the girls next door...if you happen to live next door to an amusement park"-Dolly Parton
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Crown Princess Mary and Svetlana Medvedevaa visiting the
Rosenborg castle, Copenhagen, April 28:



** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** Pic 8 ** Pic 9 **
Thank you, Iceflower

Pic #8 is interesting, it's from the throne room at Rosenborg. You cannot see it on the photo, but the two thrones (king and queen) are made of narwhale tusks. In front of them are three feroucious looking silver lions standing guard. You can see the lions in the photo.

Rosenborg is the home of the Danish crown jewels and presumably they saw them as well.
Rosenborg is also the home of the serving guards battallion of the Royal Life Guard Regiment. I.e. the battallion standing guard at the palaces.
The regiment itself is garrisoned at Høvelte Barracks in Northern Zealand.

Here is a bit more info on Rosenborg Castle: Rosenborg Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Tarlita's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: small town near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Marys skirt looks to be the dark blue Yves St Laurent number worn to the Red Cross Ball in Sydney in 2005. Mary doesn't appear as happy today as she usually does. Marie looks lovely and the Queens blue coat worn at the airport a really spectacular look for her with the Connaught pearl brooch. Hope the Presidents trip was helpful for both sides.
My mistake Mary's skirt is Oscar de la Renta not Yves St Laurent.

Muhler your knowledge is wonderful. The silver lions are magnificent and I believe are very old. They were on display during Empress Maria Feodorovna 's lying in state in 1928. And when other Kings were lying in state. Do you know when they were made and what they represent? It is a lot to ask I know, but I just thought you might know. I remember the lions were on display at the Versailles silver exhibition in 2007. Denmark is fortunate to have these wonderful things. I have visited the Rosenborg Castle web site and the rooms are very impressive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Guimarães, Portugal
Posts: 739
Princess Marie looked very beatiful at the tivoli concert.

Muhler i have a question for you, if you can reply it: why is Marie adressed as "La Marie", is it used by the danish press?, is that the way the danes talk about her? Thanks in advance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-30-2010, 01:25 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 5,088
Thank you, Tarlita, I blush

The silver lions were made in 1665-1670 shortly after absolutism was introduced in Denmark.
Interestingly, Frederik III, the king who introduced absolutism actually wanted a kind of Parliamentary system like the English. Perhaps he was foresigted enough to know that putting so much power in the hands of one man could end in a lot of mess. (Absolutism was very much debated back then and there were pro and cons. This was about governing more than usurping more power. Many if not most enlightened European kings of the time felt a genuine obligation towards their people, and not least God, to rule well).
Unfortunately the various classes of the society (stænder), i.e. peasants, nobility, clergy and townspeople (borgere), kept bickering among themselves and could not agree on anything, so parliamentarism was abandoned and absolutism introduced instead. The situation at the time was simply too serious.
Before that all kings had to formally be elected king, then acknowledged and hailed by the people at meetings in all parts of the realm. In theory anyone, until the introduction of absolutism, could be king. In reality the king was found among a few families.
The first thing a king did after being acknowledged king was to ensure that his heir, as soon as he had one, was acknowledged as a rightful heir. That enured that a line of succession was established, thus avoiding civil war and assasinations. - Most of the time!

In fact the peasants and townpeople sided with the king during the first few hundred years of Danish history against the power of the nobility.
Every free man was armed and up until the early 1500's (until the Reformation) they would pick up arms if they were displeased with something.
An uprising usually consisted of torching the farm of a nobleman or beating up and sometimes killing a magistrate or two. So the king had to send a few men to smooth things out or go himself if he happened to be in that part of the country. The king was constantly on the move and it wasn't until 1300-1400 Copenhagen became the de facto capital for the administration.
If things didn't calm down he would have to send a small army and then things got serious! But that was the exception, usually the situation calmed down. - And you might lend the noble a hand in rebuilding the farm, you and others had burned down. No hard feelings, eh?
People just had a more dramatic way of demonstrating back then...
However, it wasn't like the nobility and peasantry and free farmers were in the face of each other all the time. The population was small and people knew each other and had to live with each other, so a sensible way of life existed.
But one thing that could unite nobility and free men was taxation! Raise taxes too much and the king could end up with a genuine rebillion on his hands.

Better stop now, I could go on. It's just so fascinating and things were much more nuanced back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Muhler your knowledge is wonderful. The silver lions are magnificent and I believe are very old. They were on display during Empress Maria Feodorovna 's lying in state in 1928. And when other Kings were lying in state. Do you know when they were made and what they represent? It is a lot to ask I know, but I just thought you might know. I remember the lions were on display at the Versailles silver exhibition in 2007. Denmark is fortunate to have these wonderful things. I have visited the Rosenborg Castle web site and the rooms are very impressive.
Sure, Marie is called la Marie by me. Not by the press.
It's just an old joke among some royal watchers and it's very much meant as an endearment.
Because la Marie is so very French.

Just a little oddity from my side. Bear with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonieta View Post
Princess Marie looked very beatiful at the tivoli concert.

Muhler i have a question for you, if you can reply it: why is Marie adressed as "La Marie", is it used by the danish press?, is that the way the danes talk about her? Thanks in advance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 AM
Tarlita's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: small town near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 702
Silver lions at Rosenborg etc

Thank you Muhler, you always have an interesting way of putting things. I must read up on Danish history tho as it seems interesting. And thank you for the very amusing description of guests. Quite funny I thought. But that's just my sense of humour.

Now if I can be of help to you. Mary wore the purple coloured Hugo Boss dress worn in 2004 on her first trip to London with Fred.

Prss Marie's pendant is a large diamond surrounded by a row of smaller diamonds with the outer edge of 8 diamonds interspersed with cabochon sapphires and a diamond drop. This was worn by a very young Qu Alexandrine - photo shows her sitting down. So either Christian X gave it to her or it was from her mothers collection the Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia who was given a sapphire parure from Tsar Alexander III for a wedding gift in 1879 to Friedrich Franz III of Mecklenberg Schwerrin. This piece then passed down to Qu Ingrid and Qu Margrethe now Prss Marie.
Tis my hobby to follow the history behind royal jewels.
Cheers
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-30-2010, 04:31 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 5,088
Thank you, Tarlita.

I bow to your impressive knowledge

Here is one more pic of la Marie and her pendant: Billed-Bladet - Marie har arvet Ingrids halsmykke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Thank you Muhler, you always have an interesting way of putting things. I must read up on Danish history tho as it seems interesting. And thank you for the very amusing description of guests. Quite funny I thought. But that's just my sense of humour.

Now if I can be of help to you. Mary wore the purple coloured Hugo Boss dress worn in 2004 on her first trip to London with Fred.

Prss Marie's pendant is a large diamond surrounded by a row of smaller diamonds with the outer edge of 8 diamonds interspersed with cabochon sapphires and a diamond drop. This was worn by a very young Qu Alexandrine - photo shows her sitting down. So either Christian X gave it to her or it was from her mothers collection the Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia who was given a sapphire parure from Tsar Alexander III for a wedding gift in 1879 to Friedrich Franz III of Mecklenberg Schwerrin. This piece then passed down to Qu Ingrid and Qu Margrethe now Prss Marie.
Tis my hobby to follow the history behind royal jewels.
Cheers
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Guimarães, Portugal
Posts: 739
Thank you for your kind answer Muhler.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Mary doesn't have a Danneborg 'pin' ? HRH isn't a member of the order, yet.

The Crown Princess wears a miniature portrait of HM the Queen, that is all.
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

That pin, which is the best way i could describe it.
I correct myself in it being the order of the elephant.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
sgl's Avatar
sgl sgl is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ~, United States
Posts: 4,826
Actually, the portrait is its own family order. It is separate from the Order of the Elephant. I believe that Mary received it a year or two after she received the Order of the Elephant. I kind of expected Marie to receive one by now, but maybe she'll get one in another year or so.
The portrait that the Queen wears is that of her father. When Frederik becomes King, he will be able to create a family order like the one his mother has created (or maybe it continues, but the reigning monarch is the head of the order). Perhaps we will see Isabella wearing his portrait when she's older.

Here's some basic info from Wikipedia (not always the most accurate, but it has good basic info on this term):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Family_Orders
__________________
Be sure to visit the blog!
"I look just like the girls next door...if you happen to live next door to an amusement park"-Dolly Parton
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,123
sgl if you are referring to my post, i was talking about the pin she wears under neath the brooch of the Ruby Parue. Not the family order on her shoulder.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-30-2010, 11:53 AM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
Actually, the portrait is its own family order. It is separate from the Order of the Elephant. I believe that Mary received it a year or two after she received the Order of the Elephant. I kind of expected Marie to receive one by now, but maybe she'll get one in another year or so.
The portrait that the Queen wears is that of her father. When Frederik becomes King, he will be able to create a family order like the one his mother has created (or maybe it continues, but the reigning monarch is the head of the order). Perhaps we will see Isabella wearing his portrait when she's older.

Here's some basic info from Wikipedia (not always the most accurate, but it has good basic info on this term):
Royal Family Order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Really it is very cool, is it made with diamonds? Really I think we could create our own family order and have our family use a thing like this for special events in the family, it will be fun I think, just we have to think who would be in your family the person like the queen in this case would represent better your own family!!!!!!
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-30-2010, 01:25 PM
sgl's Avatar
sgl sgl is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ~, United States
Posts: 4,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
sgl if you are referring to my post, i was talking about the pin she wears under neath the brooch of the Ruby Parue. Not the family order on her shoulder.
Do you mean the star badge? Or are you talking about something pinned directly on her Elephant Order sash?

Ashelen-I'm not sure, but I think that Mary's family order has pearls and diamonds on the frame. Mette Marit of Norway's family order frame has all diamonds around the edge, but I think Mary's is either pearl and diamond, or all pearl.
__________________
Be sure to visit the blog!
"I look just like the girls next door...if you happen to live next door to an amusement park"-Dolly Parton
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-30-2010, 05:42 PM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
Do you mean the star badge? Or are you talking about something pinned directly on her Elephant Order sash?

Ashelen-I'm not sure, but I think that Mary's family order has pearls and diamonds on the frame. Mette Marit of Norway's family order frame has all diamonds around the edge, but I think Mary's is either pearl and diamond, or all pearl.
wow, can you imagine how much it cost????? sometimes I think they use fake things just not to be robbed
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Tarlita's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: small town near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 702
Ashelen you may be able to start something new here. Most families have a matriarch or patriarch and wouldn't it be nice if family members wore a pin with that persons portrait on it for anniversaries and other family gatherings. The jewelers would love you for it. And it is a nice way to show that person you care about the dynasty they helped continue. cheers
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
sgl if you are referring to my post, i was talking about the pin she wears under neath the brooch of the Ruby Parue. Not the family order on her shoulder.

Based on this photo that you provided, there are four things, other than her tiara, that Mary is wearing.

1. The family order with the portrait of Margrethe II on her shoulder.
2. The Order of the Elephant sash.
3. The Ruby Parure broach.
4. The Order of the Dannebrog Star.

#4 is what I think you're talking about.
__________________

__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
State Visit from Finland to Denmark; April 4-5, 2013 JessRulz Royal House of Denmark 51 04-10-2013 02:14 AM
Prince Nicholas of Greece & Denmark and Grand Duchess Elena of Russia - 1902 Marengo Historical Royal Weddings 20 09-27-2010 06:16 PM
State Visit from Russia; 26 - 27 April 2010 Mahato Royal House of Norway 14 06-10-2010 07:26 AM
State Visit from Russia to The Netherlands; November 1-2, 2005 purple_platinum Dutch Royals 69 02-22-2006 12:39 PM
State Visit by President Putin of Russia, June 2003 Alexandria British Royals 12 06-27-2003 02:19 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman picture of the month pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]