State Visit from France to Denmark: August 28-29, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will the banquet dress code include tiaras?

I know state visits TO France do not have tiaras these days.

Thanks Eya. ?
Well, he and the First Lady should feel at home. Apart from Mary all the primary DRF members speak fluent French.

I wonder if M&F will take a leading role during this visit? At some of the former state visits, they have had personal links to the guests, like the Dutch and Belgian Regent Couples.

I also believe Joachim and our Marie will play an active role for once. Marie is after all a (decorated) representative form France. And they have pretty close links to the well-liked French ambassador to Denmark.

--------

I cannot imagine a state visit to DK being without big gowns, gala uniforms and full bling-bling.

Last edited:
Will the banquet dress code include tiaras?

I know state visits TO France do not have tiaras these days.

Yes, it will. The dress code will follow the Danish protocol, which is always white tie.

Great news !
August is a somewhat srange season for a State Visit but i'm not complaining.
I guess Queen Magrethe was quite touched by the very delicate words concening Prince Henrik from the French Presidency ...

Bet The Macrons will look the part in White tie. Can't wait.

Thanks Eya. ?
Well, he and the First Lady should feel at home. Apart from Mary all the primary DRF members speak fluent French.

I wonder if M&F will take a leading role during this visit? At some of the former state visits, they have had personal links to the guests, like the Dutch and Belgian Regent Couples.

I also believe Joachim and our Marie will play an active role for one. Marie is after all a (decorated) representative form France. And they have pretty close links to the well-liked French ambassador to Denmark.

--------

I cannot imagine a state visit to DK being without big gowns, gala uniforms and full bling-bling.

On a side note Mrs Macron already met Princess Mary at the Elysée Palace last year.

Mary de Danemark à l'Elysée - Noblesse & Royautés

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Eya. ?

F&M have had a leading role in all state visits since 2009, personal links or not.

BTW, Madame Macron is not mentioned in the news. I think the First Ladies, wives and Madam's usually are.
Does President Macron do state visits on his own? If he does, he could be accompanied by the Crown Prince alone.

Last edited:
F&M have had a leading role in all state visits since 2009, personal links or not.

BTW, Madame Macron is not mentioned in the news. I think the First Ladies, wives and Madam's usually are.
Does President Macron do state visits on his own? If he does, he could be accompanied by the Crown Prince alone.

Mrs Macron was always included in the past State visits (India, China, USA ...). I don't see why Denmark will make an exception.

Mrs Macron was always included in the past State visits (India, China, USA ...). I don't see why Denmark will make an exception.

I think Nordic meant other state visits TO Denmark, where both of the couples were mentioned in the announcements.

Belgium: Hans Majestæt Kong Philippe og Hendes Majestæt Dronning Mathilde af Belgien kommer på statsbesøg i Danmark den 28.-30. marts 2017

Iceland: Efter indbydelse fra Hendes Majestæt Dronningen aflægger Islands præsident H.E. Guðni Th. Jóhannesson og fru Eliza Jean Reid statsbesøg i Danmark den 24. – 26. januar 2017.

Mexico: Efter indbydelse fra Hendes Majestæt Dronningen aflægger Mexicos præsident H.E. Enrique Peña Nieto og fru Angélica Rivera statsbesøg i Danmark den 13.-14. april 2016.

----------
And only Mr Macron's name was mentioned in today's announcement.

I think Nordic meant other state visits TO Denmark, where both of the couples were mentioned in the announcements.

Belgium: Hans Majestæt Kong Philippe og Hendes Majestæt Dronning Mathilde af Belgien kommer på statsbesøg i Danmark den 28.-30. marts 2017

Iceland: Efter indbydelse fra Hendes Majestæt Dronningen aflægger Islands præsident H.E. Guðni Th. Jóhannesson og fru Eliza Jean Reid statsbesøg i Danmark den 24. – 26. januar 2017.

Mexico: Efter indbydelse fra Hendes Majestæt Dronningen aflægger Mexicos præsident H.E. Enrique Peña Nieto og fru Angélica Rivera statsbesøg i Danmark den 13.-14. april 2016.

----------
And only Mr Macron's name was mentioned in today's announcement.

Well i responded to the question "Does President Macron do state visits on his own?" : no he doesn't, albeit he made some official/working visits alone...
But yes Mrs Macron was not included in the announcement today. Wonder why because i see no reason why she would not be there.

Agree. Frederik and Mary have been leading most of the State Visits for a while now (Iceland, Mexico, Turkey, South Korea, ...)

I look forward to this visit :flowers:

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/dronning-margrethe-faar-besoeg-af-frankrigs-praesident

Agree. Frederik and Mary have been leading most of the State Visits for a while now (Iceland, Mexico, Turkey, South Korea, ...)

I look forward to this visit :flowers:

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/dronning-margrethe-faar-besoeg-af-frankrigs-praesident

Yes, but I was wondering, since this is the French President and considering the close personal ties QMII has with France, and as such also French culture.
Married to a Frenchman, mother-in-law to a Frenchman and with two sons who are half-French.

Yes, but I was wondering, since this is the French President and considering the close personal ties QMII has with France, and as such also French culture.
Married to a Frenchman, mother-in-law to a Frenchman and with two sons who are half-French.

If the President comes alone, maybe QMII will be accompanying him herself ?

I wonder if QMII will deliver her speech in French at the state dinner. At the Belgian state dinner, she spoke in English only, but that may be because, if she spoke in French, it could be seen as disrespectful to the Dutch-speaking Belgians, so she had to pick a third, neutral language .

I wonder if QMII will deliver her speech in French at the state dinner. At the Belgian state dinner, she spoke in English only, but that may be because, if she spoke in French, it could be seen as disrespectful to the Dutch-speaking Belgians, so she had to pick a third, neutral language .

I seem to remember it being mentioned in one of BTS-series about the DRF, that the current diplomatic conventions makes it acceptable if a speech is in English, regardless of the nationality of who is speaking and who is being addressed.
In that way no one can feel snubbed because English currently is the franca lingua.

BTS = Behind the scenes.

Last edited:
I seem to remember it being mentioned in one of BTS-series about the DRF, that the current diplomatic conventions makes it acceptable if a speech is in English, regardless of the nationality of who is speaking and who is being addressed.
In that way no one can feel snubbed because English currently is the franca lingua.

BTS = Behind the scenes.

I am no diplomat, but, to me, the most appropriate procedure would be to speak always in your own country’s official language In other words, the Queen of Denmark should always speak in Danish, regardiless of the nationality of the visiting Head of State.

Interstingly, Queen Margarethe II
recently used Danish to address the presidents of non-European countries such as, if I recall it correctly, China, South Korea and Brazil (maybe also Mexico). However, she spoke in English at the Dutch and Belgian state dinners ( and the Kings of the Netherlands and of the Belgians spoke in English too). It seems rather inconsistent to me and shows unequal treatment for different Heads of State.

Thanks for the update!
I am looking forward to seeing photos.

Last edited:
Perhaps because they all converse in English anyway? And because all present must be assumed to be fluent in English?

While in China, South Korea and Brazil, the hosts preferred to speak in their native languages and QMII simply returned in the same way in her speech?
It's no secret that many in those countries don't feel that comfortable speaking English.

Perhaps because they all converse in English anyway? And because all present must be assumed to be fluent in English?

While in China, South Korea and Brazil, the hosts preferred to speak in their native languages and QMII simply returned in the same way in her speech?
It's no secret that many in those countries don't feel that comfortable speaking English.

That may be the case. indeed, the president of China always speaks in Mandarin and, by reciprocity, the Queen should speak in Danish.

However, King Felipe VI speaks English very well and, nonetheless, chose to speak in Spanish at the Buckingham Palace State dinner and in his address to the Houses of Parliament. He delivered a few lines only in English as a matter of courtesy. That seems to me like the right thing to do for a Head of State.

If the purpose is for the othr to understand what you are saying, the most logical thing to do is to speak a language the other understands. If you don't share a language and translation is necessary, it makes sense to translate from native to native tongue.

I'm not surprised that heads of states of countries where a world language is spoken prefer to use their own language (although it defeats the purpose of communication) while thos of smaller languages take the more practical approach.

the agenda for the State Visit. The Crown Prince couple, as they have for the many years now, very prominent

Tuesday, August 28th

The Crown Prince couple participates with France's presidential couples in the crest of the castle

H.M. The queen officially receives France's President Emmanuel Macron and fr. Macron

HRH The Crown Princess is attending a work lunch with the participation of fr. Macron

HRH The Crown Princess visits with fr. Macron Design School

HRH The Crown Prince participates with the President of France and the Prime Minister in a presentation of Søren Kierkegaard manuscripts

HRH The Crown Prince, together with the President of France and the Prime Minister, is present at a conference on Europe

H.M. The queen is hosting a gala dinner in honor of France's President Emmanuel Macron and fr. Macron

Wednesday, August 29th

HRH The Crown Prince, together with the French President and Prime Minister, visits Dansk Industri

HRH The Crown Princess visits with fr. Macron Rysensteen Gymnasium

The Crown Prince couple, together with France's presidential couple, visits the Glyptotek

H.E. President of the Republic of France, Emmanuel Macron and fr. Macron organizes a return event in the Playhouse

Last edited:
So Madame Macron will be there after all ...

Yes, she will.

Okay, President Macron doesn't come here just to enjoy the weather (which is pretty miserable BTW!)
This is of course about politics, which is why QMII dodged such questions at the press meeting at Cayx.

Without offending anyone I think it's safe to say that France and Germany are the two most important countries in EU, so of course Denmark wish to be on good terms with France, as far as the EU-skepticism among the Danes allow. And even further...
President Macron is by many seen as the potential new leader of EU, should Chancellor Merkel fall or become politically sidelined. At least in the interim period until a new strong German pro-EU political leader emerges.
So politically he is worth cultivating.

Okay, there are basically three political issues on the agenda:
How to change the direction or slow down EU, in order to make it more palatable to the population, in this case the Danish voters. With focus on how to curb immigration as a special wish.President Macron wants even more EU, which is not something that is welcomed in many smaller countries.
In contrast President Macron has started a thorough reformation of the French labor-market with the aim of making it much more flexible while still maintaining what is basically a kind social-democrat welfare state. I.e. turning France into a capitalist welfare society, rather than a welfare society supported by subsidizing the companies and especially the agriculture. That's something Denmark went through years ago, and it was not a pleasant experience mind you! But overall from a socioeconomic perspective it works well, by and large. So President Macron wish to see what experiences and what reforms can be perhaps be adopted and adapted to France, - and what mistakes can be avoided.
The last issue is equally interesting. President Macron stated very recently that Europe (especially EU) "can no longer rely on NATO for security." That is in line with French security policy within the 15 years or so, which has become even more aggressive so to speak. Especially directed against Islamist insurgency in the Middle East, but not least Africa. A place Denmark is also currently involved militarily. (In four or five countries at present.)
As such France has requested and been granted a Danish frigate to be basically on permanent attachment to a French carrier group in the Mediterranean, from where it can quickly be deployed to the Middle East or the Indian Ocean. Again, the main purpose is to use bombs or missiles but also special forces against in particular Islamists. The Danish frigate, being hyper modern, is an anti-aircraft frigate, but it is also equipped with cruise missiles. - From a country that for the past 25 years has been very willing to pull the trigger.
Big deal, you may say, a routine military disposition. - No, it isn't.
This means that the Danish Parliament has quietly decided to put a part of our military under French command (not EU command, DK cannot take part in an EU military force, and thank heavens for that!) not a NATO command!
I other words DK and the other countries supplying ships to this carrier group are joining alternatives to NATO. - With all that implies...

Live coverage info.

Billed Bladet will send live from the first event at Kastellet tomorrow from 11.20. Here M&F will receive them. - I or someone else will post a link when we get closer.

And for those who are into bling-bling and big gowns, BB will also send live from the arrival of the guests, The French first couple and the DRF. From 19.20.

DR1 will also send live from 18.50. (Their coverage is even better, but I'm not sure it can be viewed outside DK - So I urge some of you to mail DR1 and ask. That worked during PH's funeral coverage.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Live link from BB
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/billed-bladet-sender-live-fra-det-franske-statsbesoeg

60 minutes to go.

--------------------

Right now M&F as well as the French presidential couple have only just now arrived at Kastellet. There has been some delay due to the government reshuffle mentioned by Hannelore above.
Both ladies are wearing red.
The security measures are extra intense.

Right now a wreath is being laid at the memorial for fallen soldiers. And when that is over they will all drive to Amalienborg where the press is waiting. It will take less than five minutes to drive to Amalienborg.

------------------

QMII as well as J&M and Benedikte are waiting at Amalienborg.

----------------------------

Mary will be at a slight disadvantage during this visit, as a lot of the conversation between the DRF and the Presidential Couple will likely be in French.

-------------------

At this moment 12.00 President Macron is greeting WWII veterans at Kastellet. The delay is considerable, but that's what happens when a minister resigns so that the President left Paris later than expected.

---------

Two minutes.

Last edited:
French minister for ecological transition, Nicolas Hulot just resigned from the government, without a previous notice. I guess the Macrons will be busy on their phones today...

Mary/Marie in red, Margrethe in white, Benedikte in blue... is this supposed to be a flag theme?

A curtsey from madame Macron? Well i didn't expect that ...

I saw the arrival in live. The President of France and Madame seem not used to this old fashionned Ceremonial.
Prince Henrik will have a postume Tribute , I feel sorry for him.

Back
Top Bottom