State Visit from France to Denmark: August 28-29, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No Legion d' Honneur for the Crownprinces but the second Order : l' Ordre National du Mérite.
No Elefant Order for Madame Macron.

Usually the spouses of Presidents get the second highest danish order the order of the Dannebrog. But it seems Madame Macron not. Or she choose not to use it.

Madame Mitterrand got the Dannebrog.

how fun that mme macron and mary both wore the same shade of red.

shame about this not having happened before henrik passed away. i am sure he would have enjoyed welcoming the french couple. i wonder how much english mme macron speaks? i wonder if margrethe/frederik/joachim spoke in french with them. at least they had marie to bear the french flag at the event and make the couple feel right at home! :)

did mary have her gala dress altered? would it possibly be because of the fact that orders cannot be worn on bare arms?

i am liking that tiara! it was about time marie innovated on the tiara front ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see a French President in white tie again ,I'm sure Princess Marie's tiara is going down well on the jewelry threads.

:previous:thanks.
From what I could follow along in the articles live blog, they seem to be nice speeches, highlighting Henrik and the special relationship.

Mr Muhler , What do you think about Mr Macron 's white tie ?
To me too large and he is not used to wear Sashes.

It is wonderful to see Princess Marie in a new diamond tiara with a blue central stone. Give it a few days and someone will surely find out where it came from. It is a substantial piece as well. Very happy for her.
First Lady Macron lovely in a white gown, but I really wish she would drop her hemlines down to cover the knees, as per the red outfit.

The DR1 coverage is back.

See link below.

--------------

Well, I haven't really looked that much at him, I must admit.
I wore his suit correct I think, perhaps a tad too long in the coat tails and it doesn't help that he has a tendency to slouch, so that detracts centimeters from his height.
He did okay. ?

Oddly enough none of the Danish media have mentioned our Marie's tiara. Is it really new?

The entry procession with QMII and the Presidential Couple showed a little detail as to why a royal spouse is important.
It's difficult for three persons to walk through a door at the same time...

I'm a little surprised she's giving the whole speech in French but it does make sense.
The speech is after all directed at the foreign guests, not the Danish guests and when she does speak fluent french, why speak Danish or English?

How is QMII's French BTW?

Either it'as a brand new tiara Marie sported tonight, or she had her floral tiara modified :lol:

The entry procession with QMII and the Presidential Couple showed a little detail as to why a royal spouse is important.
It's difficult for three persons to walk through a door at the same time...

They could also let the spouse of the President enter with the Crown Prince instead. Don't think we know how that was don in the NL under Queen Beatrix as we never get pics/Videos of them entering the Banquet Hall.

Either it'as a brand new tiara Marie sported tonight, or she had her floral tiara modified :lol:
It's definitely not a rework of the floral tiara. The elements in this one look completely different. And I don't think that it's 'brand' new, but it looks like an antique piece with about a hundred years of history behind it. I'm also convinced that it's nothing from the 'vault'. The Danes don't have so many tiaras that they would have spare ones lying around for many decades. And I can't remember seeing any historic photo of a Danish royal wearing anything like this. So my best guess is that Marie and/or Joachim bought a vintage tiara, be it in a private sale or at auction. I suspect that some tiara-watchers will soon find out a bit more about it. For now, we can just enjoy that Marie finally has a second tiara that is not a loaner from a jeweller.

Btw, the pearl tiara was in an exhibition and Amalienborg Museum had announced beforehand that it would be taken out for the State Visit. So it was obvious that the Queen had planned to wear it.

And isn't this the first time that Mary wears the rubies for a State Visit from a Republic?

Last edited:
A French tradition ?

Of course, the entire world knows that we are bloody rude ...

Today it occured to me this visit was rather an official one and not a state visit, the Queen wearing a simple dress, not even a hat etc.:whistling::ermm:

So according to some sources, the Elysée palace specifically asked for a scalled down welcome ceremony (aka no carriage procession etc) to avoid any "monarchical" images of the President (criticized at home for his "jupiterian" view of the presidential role).

Any video of the speeches ?

It is sad that Princess Marie new tiara stole the show of the fist State Visit of the President of France to a Monarchy.

Princess Marie tiara

You could be right,- in a close up several of the floral elements closely resemble her original tiara. Perhaps she had it redesigned. I do like the look of this one very much.

Last edited:
It is sad that Princess Marie new tiara stole the show of the fist State Visit of the President of France to a Monarchy.

Ahh, that's a slight exaggeration IMO.

If you look at Daily Mail, it's hardly our Marie's tiara they are writing about. And the comments (after going through the nutcase and ignorant-filers) don't seem to dwell on the tiara either.

It has been noted that President Macron and Prime Minister Lars Løkke are on informal you with each other. Just as Lars Løkke addresed the President with Emmanuel.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/udland/ko...oerer-praesidenten-er-dus-med-statsministeren

Any comments from our French members? ?

Sorry Tillia, i missed seeing your post where you don't think this tiara is a rework of the old one. However, i see it differently. Never mind over the next few days someone may work out where it originates from. Definately an old style and not brand new, I agree with you there.

I guess the French president is not aware of the ladies' version of those orders. Or do they only have one sash for both men and women?

I guess the French president is not aware of the ladies' version of those orders. Or do they only have one sash for both men and women?

There's only one version of the sash, both for the Legion d'Honneur and the Ordre National du Mérite.

Madame Chirac also used to curtsy, didn’t she ? A nice gesture of French politeness to dismiss the nonsensical American idea that curtsies are a sign of “ inferiority” and a faux-pas for wives of heads of state.

Sorry, to courtesy is to show that you are inferior to the person receiving the curtse4y. An archaic mode that should have long disappeared. It isn't politeness it is obeisance.

Madame Macron's red ensemble was fine. Her gala dress was very unflattering. Crown Princess Mary's gala dress was an odd choice: dizzy pattern and a black train, which resembled a tail. Queen Margrethe looked lovely.

Last edited:
Mary/Marie in red, Margrethe in white, Benedikte in blue... is this supposed to be a flag theme?

I think it's cute that Brigitte, Mary and Marie were all in red! I don't want the royalty to be so "organised" or "planned" that this does not happen sometimes. I can see why some would comment though.

Well, they could do it the norwegian or british way. In Norway the CP and CPss pick up the state guests and drive with them to the palace square where TM await them on a "dais of honour".
In Britain the guests will be driven to Horse Guards Parade, accompanied by Charles and Camilla after having met them at their hotel, where HM awaits them. Then they will drive in a splendid and grand carriage procession to the palace.
In both cases no windy tarmacs elderly sovereigns have to face...!

Today it occured to me this visit was rather an official one and not a state visit, the Queen wearing a simple dress, not even a hat etc.:whistling::ermm:

I'm neither Danish nor British. Do these older monarchs need to quit when they become too infirm to do the job as they previously did while they were younger?

Would it be better for the Big Shots' hands if they wore gloves for all that hand shaking? Wow! What a job!

Nice to see a French President in white tie again ,I'm sure Princess Marie's tiara is going down well on the jewelry threads.

Ouch! I prefer Princess Marie's other tiara, the wedding one!!!!:whistling:

Madame Macron's red ensemble was fine. Her gala dress was very unflattering. Crown Princess Mary's gala dress was an odd choice: dizzy pattern and a black train, which resembled a tail. Queen Margrethe looked lovely.

Queen Margrethe's gown is really elegant and I agree with you that CP Mary's gown is odd looking.

You could be right,- in a close up several of the floral elements closely resemble her original tiara. Perhaps she had it redesigned.

Marie’s usual tiara is only a loan from the Queen and is a royal heirloom, she definitely isn’t going to alter it.
So, this is either a new purchase or perhaps a jewelery loan. Since Mary bought a new tiara at auction it would make sense that Marie bought herself or was gifted a new tiara from her husband.

Why is the President of of the Republic wearing a morning coat with white tie?

A schoolboy error.. what were his Suite thinking of, allowing such a faux pas ?

Why is the President of of the Republic wearing a morning coat with white tie?

A schoolboy error.. what were his Suite thinking of, allowing such a faux pas ?

Wow, I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

Back
Top Bottom