The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2018, 04:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

State Visit from France to Denmark 28-29 August

Upon invitation from Queen Margrethe, France's President, Emmanuel Macron will make a state visit in Denmark on 28th-29th August 2018.

Frankrigs præsident på statsbesøg i Danmark | Kongehuset

Old 05-10-2018, 05:05 AM
Aristocracy

Will the banquet dress code include tiaras?

I know state visits TO France do not have tiaras these days.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks Eya.
Well, he and the First Lady should feel at home. Apart from Mary all the primary DRF members speak fluent French.

I wonder if M&F will take a leading role during this visit? At some of the former state visits, they have had personal links to the guests, like the Dutch and Belgian Regent Couples.

I also believe Joachim and our Marie will play an active role for once. Marie is after all a (decorated) representative form France. And they have pretty close links to the well-liked French ambassador to Denmark.

--------

I cannot imagine a state visit to DK being without big gowns, gala uniforms and full bling-bling.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carina_a View Post
Will the banquet dress code include tiaras?

I know state visits TO France do not have tiaras these days.
Yes, it will. The dress code will follow the Danish protocol, which is always white tie.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Great news !
August is a somewhat srange season for a State Visit but i'm not complaining.
I guess Queen Magrethe was quite touched by the very delicate words concening Prince Henrik from the French Presidency ...

Bet The Macrons will look the part in White tie. Can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thanks Eya.
Well, he and the First Lady should feel at home. Apart from Mary all the primary DRF members speak fluent French.

I wonder if M&F will take a leading role during this visit? At some of the former state visits, they have had personal links to the guests, like the Dutch and Belgian Regent Couples.

I also believe Joachim and our Marie will play an active role for one. Marie is after all a (decorated) representative form France. And they have pretty close links to the well-liked French ambassador to Denmark.

--------

I cannot imagine a state visit to DK being without big gowns, gala uniforms and full bling-bling.
On a side note Mrs Macron already met Princess Mary at the Elysée Palace last year.

Mary de Danemark à l'Elysée - Noblesse & Royautés
Old 05-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Thanks Eya.

F&M have had a leading role in all state visits since 2009, personal links or not.

BTW, Madame Macron is not mentioned in the news. I think the First Ladies, wives and Madam's usually are.
Does President Macron do state visits on his own? If he does, he could be accompanied by the Crown Prince alone.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
F&M have had a leading role in all state visits since 2009, personal links or not.

BTW, Madame Macron is not mentioned in the news. I think the First Ladies, wives and Madam's usually are.
Does President Macron do state visits on his own? If he does, he could be accompanied by the Crown Prince alone.
Mrs Macron was always included in the past State visits (India, China, USA ...). I don't see why Denmark will make an exception.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Mrs Macron was always included in the past State visits (India, China, USA ...). I don't see why Denmark will make an exception.
I think Nordic meant other state visits TO Denmark, where both of the couples were mentioned in the announcements.

Belgium: Hans Majestæt Kong Philippe og Hendes Majestæt Dronning Mathilde af Belgien kommer på statsbesøg i Danmark den 28.-30. marts 2017

Iceland: Efter indbydelse fra Hendes Majestæt Dronningen aflægger Islands præsident H.E. Guðni Th. Jóhannesson og fru Eliza Jean Reid statsbesøg i Danmark den 24. – 26. januar 2017.

Mexico: Efter indbydelse fra Hendes Majestæt Dronningen aflægger Mexicos præsident H.E. Enrique Peña Nieto og fru Angélica Rivera statsbesøg i Danmark den 13.-14. april 2016.

----------
And only Mr Macron's name was mentioned in today's announcement.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carina_a View Post
I think Nordic meant other state visits TO Denmark, where both of the couples were mentioned in the announcements.

Belgium: Hans Majestæt Kong Philippe og Hendes Majestæt Dronning Mathilde af Belgien kommer på statsbesøg i Danmark den 28.-30. marts 2017

Iceland: Efter indbydelse fra Hendes Majestæt Dronningen aflægger Islands præsident H.E. Guðni Th. Jóhannesson og fru Eliza Jean Reid statsbesøg i Danmark den 24. – 26. januar 2017.

Mexico: Efter indbydelse fra Hendes Majestæt Dronningen aflægger Mexicos præsident H.E. Enrique Peña Nieto og fru Angélica Rivera statsbesøg i Danmark den 13.-14. april 2016.

----------
And only Mr Macron's name was mentioned in today's announcement.
Well i responded to the question "Does President Macron do state visits on his own?" : no he doesn't, albeit he made some official/working visits alone...
But yes Mrs Macron was not included in the announcement today. Wonder why because i see no reason why she would not be there.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post

Agree. Frederik and Mary have been leading most of the State Visits for a while now (Iceland, Mexico, Turkey, South Korea, ...)

I look forward to this visit

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...igs-praesident
Old 05-10-2018, 11:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Agree. Frederik and Mary have been leading most of the State Visits for a while now (Iceland, Mexico, Turkey, South Korea, ...)

I look forward to this visit

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...igs-praesident

Yes, but I was wondering, since this is the French President and considering the close personal ties QMII has with France, and as such also French culture.
Married to a Frenchman, mother-in-law to a Frenchman and with two sons who are half-French.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes, but I was wondering, since this is the French President and considering the close personal ties QMII has with France, and as such also French culture.
Married to a Frenchman, mother-in-law to a Frenchman and with two sons who are half-French.
If the President comes alone, maybe QMII will be accompanying him herself ?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if QMII will deliver her speech in French at the state dinner. At the Belgian state dinner, she spoke in English only, but that may be because, if she spoke in French, it could be seen as disrespectful to the Dutch-speaking Belgians, so she had to pick a third, neutral language .
Old 05-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I wonder if QMII will deliver her speech in French at the state dinner. At the Belgian state dinner, she spoke in English only, but that may be because, if she spoke in French, it could be seen as disrespectful to the Dutch-speaking Belgians, so she had to pick a third, neutral language .
I seem to remember it being mentioned in one of BTS-series about the DRF, that the current diplomatic conventions makes it acceptable if a speech is in English, regardless of the nationality of who is speaking and who is being addressed.
In that way no one can feel snubbed because English currently is the franca lingua.

BTS = Behind the scenes.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I seem to remember it being mentioned in one of BTS-series about the DRF, that the current diplomatic conventions makes it acceptable if a speech is in English, regardless of the nationality of who is speaking and who is being addressed.
In that way no one can feel snubbed because English currently is the franca lingua.

BTS = Behind the scenes.
I am no diplomat, but, to me, the most appropriate procedure would be to speak always in your own country’s official language In other words, the Queen of Denmark should always speak in Danish, regardiless of the nationality of the visiting Head of State.

Interstingly, Queen Margarethe II
recently used Danish to address the presidents of non-European countries such as, if I recall it correctly, China, South Korea and Brazil (maybe also Mexico). However, she spoke in English at the Dutch and Belgian state dinners ( and the Kings of the Netherlands and of the Belgians spoke in English too). It seems rather inconsistent to me and shows unequal treatment for different Heads of State.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Majesty

Thanks for the update!
I am looking forward to seeing photos.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Perhaps because they all converse in English anyway? And because all present must be assumed to be fluent in English?

While in China, South Korea and Brazil, the hosts preferred to speak in their native languages and QMII simply returned in the same way in her speech?
It's no secret that many in those countries don't feel that comfortable speaking English.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Perhaps because they all converse in English anyway? And because all present must be assumed to be fluent in English?

While in China, South Korea and Brazil, the hosts preferred to speak in their native languages and QMII simply returned in the same way in her speech?
It's no secret that many in those countries don't feel that comfortable speaking English.
That may be the case. indeed, the president of China always speaks in Mandarin and, by reciprocity, the Queen should speak in Danish.

However, King Felipe VI speaks English very well and, nonetheless, chose to speak in Spanish at the Buckingham Palace State dinner and in his address to the Houses of Parliament. He delivered a few lines only in English as a matter of courtesy. That seems to me like the right thing to do for a Head of State.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

If the purpose is for the othr to understand what you are saying, the most logical thing to do is to speak a language the other understands. If you don't share a language and translation is necessary, it makes sense to translate from native to native tongue.

I'm not surprised that heads of states of countries where a world language is spoken prefer to use their own language (although it defeats the purpose of communication) while thos of smaller languages take the more practical approach.