Religion and the Danish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Her_Majesty

Moderator Emeritus
City
Munich
Country
Germany
Last edited:
Why on earth would they leave in the middle of a church service? Is that normal in denmark? I find it rather rude to get up in leave in the middle of the service.

Margrethe, Henrik, Frederik and Mary attending the Easter Church Mass:
Artikler og nyheder fra Århus og Østjylland, Favrskov, Odder, Skanderborg, Samsø, Norddjurs og Syddjurs. Opdateret hele dagen - stiften.dk

See "plus BILLED-GALLERI" to see a Gallery with 10 pictures.

Queen Margrethe was the only one who stayed until the end of the ceremony. Henrik, Frederik and mary left even before the Communion.

Thanks Her Majesty for the info & pic's.
Do they always leave early? Also I dont find it nice, I mean the service isnt long for them not to have waited till it ended. I think someone at such a high position walking out in the middle of something causes attention and distraction from the service:ermm:
Where was Joachim?

I'm sure what ever the reason for them leaving early, it was a good one. As for Joachim, must have had other commitments.

Okay, I read that the family do tend to leave the church service christmas & easter early every year.

I guess we'll just have to wait, see if more comes out with time.

Okay, I read that the family do tend to leave the church service christmas & easter early every year.

Okay but why? You might as well not go at all. Seriously, I think that it's rather hypocritical to say "Oh I go to church" but can't be bothered to commmit the 2 hours a year that it takes to sit through 2 whole services!

Why bother going at all if you are going to get up and leave in the middle. I have never been to a Christian service where there is any appropriate time to leave that would not be intrusive to the flow of the service.

I think that it is downright rude.

Yes. Usually Henrik and Frederik leave the services earlier...
last year Mary and Margrethe stayed until the end.
This year Margrethe was the only one who stayed until the end. :ermm:

I think that's rather weird. The communion usually is the most important part of a church service (at least in catolic church services... don't know about the protestnts)... just weird!

Actually, I agree too. Although, whilst not religious I am quite traditional about it all (I didnt like that Mary wore pants to church at Christmas for example). There is no appropriate time during the service to leave. And what motive could there possibly be to do so?

well, we have the communion too, but just wine, at least in the danish church in buenos aires where i was baptism and confirm, merried, etc......
but certenly is rude to live the churc before the service is finish, i cacn not belive the y do not stay atuntil the end, even if they don't like is just for respect to the others and the priest! it is very disapointing for me!

are there any picutres?

thank you
check the last page. I posted a link there.

ashlen said:
it is very disapointing for me!
I agree,. It is indeed very disappointing
I wonder what's so difficult about sitting in church for about 2 hours. everyone else seems to be able to do this.
it's just very weird.
At least Margrethe behaved herself and stayed until the end!

Last edited:
Well, in most protestant religions the service is only about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, so if they only go at Easter and Christmas (High Holy days) then that's only two hours out of the year. They spend more time getting dressed in the year.

I disagree. I think she looks beautiful. Funny how different everyone sees things!

I thought she looked beautiful too. Someone else posted that she looked like an overweight housewife. I was disagreeing with them!

I'm not a religious person but I agree it's rude to leave a church service before it's finished. It's disrepectful to the religious peolpe and to the priest.

Well, in most protestant religions the service is only about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, so if they only go at Easter and Christmas (High Holy days) then that's only two hours out of the year. They spend more time getting dressed in the year.
I have always been a fan of the CP couple, but leaving a Resurrection Day service before the end is rude, inconsiderate and the height of bad manners. Their early departure must have caused a stir as they are who they are and not just an ordinary citizen! The consequent disrruption to the service not to mention the speculation as to why they were leaving early.

What is it? "We've graced your church for a bit of they service, but really, we are far to busy and important to stay until the end". :ermm:

we can only expeculate the reason why they live early, but really where is the manners , the education, it suppose they should give the example to all of us!!!!!!!!in ther position the least that they could do is to give the public the apologies and the reason why they live early.....really discusting!
just for twice in the year!!!!! what about if somebody live in the middle of their speech i am sure they wold not like this!!!! i am very disapointed

Well I think that if they are used to do that it is not rude at all, they used to do that in every church services and it migth be a reason for that, if they did that last year so they did the same this year.... it is quite normal and maybe there is a reason for that!!!
To me it is even more rude that Joaquim and Marie were not there!!!!

To me it is even more rude that Joaquim and Marie were not there!!!!

I agree here - they should have shown up. In total I find this attitude a bit careless, go there, not stay until the end and leave waving (Mary) even more when keeping in mind that QM is the head of the National Church (to be succeeded by Fred some day). That fur coat of Mary's is horrible, it's that old ladys' fur, astrakhan. She can still wear it when she's 80. Fred is greying out more and more and becomes a lookalike of Ari Behn :ohmy:

This just blows my mind. I can't even imagine leaving a service early (unless there is an emergency), especially a service at Easter. Easter and Christmas are two of the most important holidays of the Protestant religion. Even if you are "used" to doing it, IMO it is not right. Keep your butt in the pew for the entire hour or don't go. On another note, Mary's black coat doesn't bother me, but I would love to have seen some color, especially at Easter, springtime colors!

Perhaps even going to church is just a photo op. Unless they suddenly were inflicted with stomach flu such behaviour is called arrogance.

Perhaps even going to church is just a photo op. Unless they suddenly were inflicted with stomach flu such behaviour is called arrogance.

Perhaps it´s because that neither Frederik,Mary or Henrik is not that religious like Queen Margrethe is.
Her in Denmark we are not religious as in Spain,Italy or USA.. alot of the churchs in Denmark is closing because we don´t go to the church...the only time i go to the church is when ther is a christning, confirmation, wedding, funeral in my family and on the 24/12.

But have they left early the Christmas service last year?
I don't thinkt that was an emmergency because they didn't look like they were going to an emmergency! And I must agree with you all it was very rude!

But have they left early the Christmas service last year?
I don't thinkt that was an emmergency because they didn't look like they were going to an emmergency! And I must agree with you all it was very rude!

Both CP Frederik and Princeconsort Henrik is always the first from the royal family to leave befor communion. Personaly i don´t think it is rude to leave befor the service is over.
As i said befor we her in Denmark is not that religious as the rest of the world is.

Prince Joachim and Marie was at the Marselisborg Palace one day in the easter and perhaps they went to France to celebrete the easter with her family.

It's their business and for whatever reason they left. My my people can be so damning when supported by nothing but assumptions...:flowers:

Well Madame Royale, I think that most of us are looking at it as a habit, especially if they've done it several years in a row. It doesn't bother me in the least that they are not so interested in religion, but if they are going to make the pretense of going at all, then they should have the respect and courtesy to stay for the entirety of the service.

It is disrespectful and disruptive to those that are there out of genuine belief to get up and leave in the middle of a service.

It is also hypocritical to go at all for appearances sake, only to leave halfway through. If you go, you should stay, or stay away. I just don't think that it is acceptable in any society to leave in the middle of anything, especially something as solemn and serious as a church service.

So, if the Danish Royals aren't that religious: No problem.
But they should decide either to go to church and stay until the end or just stay away.
But it's just respectless to leave in the middle of the church service.
Especially towards the preacher!

So, if the Danish Royals aren't that religious: No problem.
But they should decide either to go to church and stay until the end or just stay away.
But it's just respectless to leave in the middle of the church service.
Especially towards the preacher!

Exactly! I have no problem if they are not religious. But to get up in the middle of the service smacks of plain disrespect. If this is something that is normal for the family to just get up and leave during the sermons, then they should perhaps rethink this. Because people will start to get the idea (and some already are) that they are showing up to church merely for the photographers.

Because people will start to get the idea (and some already are) that they are showing up to church merely for the photographers.
It seems to be a custom for them to leave at the end of the service before communion, if the Danish people haven't minded before I don't see why they would now!

Well Madame Royale, I think that most of us are looking at it as a habit, especially if they've done it several years in a row. It doesn't bother me in the least that they are not so interested in religion, but if they are going to make the pretense of going at all, then they should have the respect and courtesy to stay for the entirety of the service.

It is disrespectful and disruptive to those that are there out of genuine belief to get up and leave in the middle of a service.

It is also hypocritical to go at all for appearances sake, only to leave halfway through. If you go, you should stay, or stay away. I just don't think that it is acceptable in any society to leave in the middle of anything, especially something as solemn and serious as a church service.

You so hit the nail on the head with this post!

Back
Top Bottom