The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Hello Binz,

Perhapps the confusion comes from this: In most christian religions, the church service is not considered over until after communion. I know that in the Catholic mass, there is still about 10 minutes or so of service left after communion. Perhaps it is different in the Danish Lutheran Church.
It is different in the Danish Lutheran Church. Communion takes place after the church service is over. So, when attending a danish church service, the majority of churchgoers leaves before communion. Only if you have got a very special and personal reason for participating in the communion you stay.

So, when members of the royal family leave church before communion, they are doing exactly what is in accordance with danish church tradition. This might (as some posters on this thread have written) seem rude when compared with other religions - but within the danish lutheran church it is simply the way things are done.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It's much more meant as a general statement, sometimes I can't believe what halfway intelligent people are willed to post on message boards.
But hey, at least it created some sort of discussion even though some may not agree with the primary issue.

On the otherhand, I'm appalled that none of the ladies wore giant Easter service hats!! I mean, where is the respect?!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
But hey, at least it created some sort of discussion even though some may not agree with the primary issue.

On the otherhand, I'm appalled that none of the ladies wore giant Easter service hats!! I mean, where is the respect?!

ahh that pic brings back memories of the hats my mom used to make my sister and I wear for Easter Mass.....which she used to decorate herself with the biggest fake flowers she could find! :)
Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Really? That's cool. I love looking at all the big Easter hats; some of the ladies look fierce, and you know they are trying to out style each other in the end.

By the way, thank you Lilla and Binz for your informative information; I appreciate it.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Easter hats?
Are you only joking - or is this a tradition in your part of the world? I have never heard of easterhats beeing a part of the eastercelibrations i Danmark - pity if could be fun. Though I can't imagine Mary wearing a hat like the one on the photo.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Easter hats?
Are you only joking - or is this a tradition in your part of the world? I have never heard of easterhats beeing a part of the eastercelibrations i Danmark - pity if could be fun. Though I can't imagine Mary wearing a hat like the one on the photo.

In African-American chruches it's tradition for ladies to dawn hats, and in some of these churches the women, without verbally stating it, like to out do each other. On Easter, these fabulous ladies go all out, and it's great to see what they will wear. It's like a religious fashion show...Here is a link with some information.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Courtier

I have never seen that before either.... Quite interesting. Where does this tradition come from?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado View Post
I have never seen that before either.... Quite interesting. Where does this tradition come from?

I have no idea, but I'll ask my girlfriend.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It is different in the Danish Lutheran Church. Communion takes place after the church service is over. So, when attending a danish church service, the majority of churchgoers leaves before communion. Only if you have got a very special and personal reason for participating in the communion you stay.

So, when members of the royal family leave church before communion, they are doing exactly what is in accordance with danish church tradition. This might (as some posters on this thread have written) seem rude when compared with other religions - but within the danish lutheran church it is simply the way things are done.
I am surprise at what do you say, I grow up going to in the Danish Church in Argentina, and it was rude if soembody left the church before the service and the communion was done!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I am surprise at what do you say, I grow up going to in the Danish Church in Argentina, and it was rude if soembody left the church before the service and the communion was done!

Key word, Argentina.

The church may be Danish by distant tradition, but the farther away it is from it's roots the easier it is for them to take on their own traditions. Hence they are connected, yet they are different in the smallest aspects. For example, a Southern Baptist church in Alabama is different vastly different than a Southern Baptist church in Orange County, California. Same church. Different location. Services adjusted to fit the local congregation. So it seems that this could and does apply to the Danish church in Denmark compared to the Danish church in Aregentina.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binz View Post
. . . . ."The church service ends before the communion takes place. There is played "godbye-music" and if one does not attend to recieve the communion it is quite normal to leave. Prince Henrik never accepts communion. I don't know about Frederik and Mary. "
Binz, thank you for your calm, reasoned and educational post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binz
Sorry to say it. It's so easy to judge other people harshly with no or simple not enough knowledge. . . . . . . sometimes I can't believe what halfway intelligent people are willed to post on message boards.
Ouch!! A well-deserved hit.

I think many people like me have been seeing the situation through the eyes of our own particular church experience. Your post, and others like it have really been an education in "look before you leap". Mea Culpa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras
Whowa.

That thing would definitely frighten the horses!!! If it was in front of me in church I would lose the plot and be utterly fixated on it. I am having nightmares just thinking of a church full of 'Easter Bonnets'. . . . no please noooo!

ps: I think it's a matter of life imitating art a la Fred Astair's "Easter Parade". Now there's a movie with hats!!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Aristocracy

Binz, thank you for the education! A reminder that we need to understand other cultures before applying our own values.

I also remember ancient priests yelling at people who tried to slip out before or during communion. As for the hats, I remember when they were a lovely requirement. Those were the days..sniff
Old 03-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
Binz, thank you for the education! A reminder that we need to understand other cultures before applying our own values.
You are quite right, Gaia. I found it interesting to learn the difference and cultural traditions... I hope one day I can learn more. Again, thanks Binz and Lilla.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
In African-American chruches it's tradition for ladies to dawn hats, and in some of these churches the women, without verbally stating it, like to out do each other. On Easter, these fabulous ladies go all out, and it's great to see what they will wear. It's like a religious fashion show...Here is a link with some information.

This is 1, 000% correct! Brings back alot of memories! Actually the hats shown are VERY TAME compared to what I grew up seeing.

Quote:
I have no idea, but I'll ask my girlfriend.

Basically, it's just for showing off. Everyone (especially the older ladies) parading up and down the pews greeting people before and after church. In reality they're making sure you see their new outfit/hat.

I guess it got out of hand over the decades. Alot of preachers mention it in their sermons, how most people don't go to church all year only to show up Easter Sunday in their new clothes and hats. We neve wore them personally but it was..and still is..quite a show.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It is different in the Danish Lutheran Church. Communion takes place after the church service is over.
So that makes it perfectly understandable that they left, if they did not wish to receive communion.

I'm Evangelical Lutheran here in America, and we do communion like that sometimes, where you may stay for communion if you wish after the service is done, or you can go eat a breakfast the church provided.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Thanks for the link Glittering Tiaras. I wish this was a tradition where I live as well. It could be fun to make hats like that and looking at all the hats others would be wearing. But well - I will just have to go visiting your country during the easter-hollydayes and attend church-service in an African-American church.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Nobility

Question

I find it very interesting that one of our forum members reports that Prince Henrik "never" takes communion. That's news to me.

Does anyone know if he considers himself to be a practicing Lutheran or a lapsed Catholic?

Also, outside of HM Margrethe, are other members of the DRF weekly church goers?

Cheers!

Tags
danish royals