The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Perhaps even going to church is just a photo op. Unless they suddenly were inflicted with stomach flu such behaviour is called arrogance.

Perhaps it´s because that neither Frederik,Mary or Henrik is not that religious like Queen Margrethe is.
Her in Denmark we are not religious as in Spain,Italy or USA.. alot of the churchs in Denmark is closing because we don´t go to the church...the only time i go to the church is when ther is a christning, confirmation, wedding, funeral in my family and on the 24/12.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Perhaps even going to church is just a photo op.
No, not for the Danish royal family.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

But have they left early the Christmas service last year?
I don't thinkt that was an emmergency because they didn't look like they were going to an emmergency! And I must agree with you all it was very rude!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
But have they left early the Christmas service last year?
I don't thinkt that was an emmergency because they didn't look like they were going to an emmergency! And I must agree with you all it was very rude!
Both CP Frederik and Princeconsort Henrik is always the first from the royal family to leave befor communion. Personaly i don´t think it is rude to leave befor the service is over.
As i said befor we her in Denmark is not that religious as the rest of the world is.

Prince Joachim and Marie was at the Marselisborg Palace one day in the easter and perhaps they went to France to celebrete the easter with her family.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

It's their business and for whatever reason they left. My my people can be so damning when supported by nothing but assumptions...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Well Madame Royale, I think that most of us are looking at it as a habit, especially if they've done it several years in a row. It doesn't bother me in the least that they are not so interested in religion, but if they are going to make the pretense of going at all, then they should have the respect and courtesy to stay for the entirety of the service.

It is disrespectful and disruptive to those that are there out of genuine belief to get up and leave in the middle of a service.

It is also hypocritical to go at all for appearances sake, only to leave halfway through. If you go, you should stay, or stay away. I just don't think that it is acceptable in any society to leave in the middle of anything, especially something as solemn and serious as a church service.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

So, if the Danish Royals aren't that religious: No problem.
But they should decide either to go to church and stay until the end or just stay away.
But it's just respectless to leave in the middle of the church service.
Especially towards the preacher!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
But they should decide either to go to church and stay until the end or just stay away.
Exactly! I have no problem if they are not religious. But to get up in the middle of the service smacks of plain disrespect. If this is something that is normal for the family to just get up and leave during the sermons, then they should perhaps rethink this. Because people will start to get the idea (and some already are) that they are showing up to church merely for the photographers.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Because people will start to get the idea (and some already are) that they are showing up to church merely for the photographers.
It seems to be a custom for them to leave at the end of the service before communion, if the Danish people haven't minded before I don't see why they would now!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Well Madame Royale, I think that most of us are looking at it as a habit, especially if they've done it several years in a row. It doesn't bother me in the least that they are not so interested in religion, but if they are going to make the pretense of going at all, then they should have the respect and courtesy to stay for the entirety of the service.

It is disrespectful and disruptive to those that are there out of genuine belief to get up and leave in the middle of a service.

It is also hypocritical to go at all for appearances sake, only to leave halfway through. If you go, you should stay, or stay away. I just don't think that it is acceptable in any society to leave in the middle of anything, especially something as solemn and serious as a church service.
You so hit the nail on the head with this post!
Old 03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dansih Royal Watchers have written about the church 'visit'
Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post

Damn straight..... I dont mind so much prince Henrik i am not sure what religion he was before he married, there may be religious reasons as to why he does not take communion. But i am a catholic and the communion is the point of the celebration in our church. Though some of my family and friends do not receive for reasons of their own, still they attend mass and stay till the end. WHY GO if you are not there till the end Fred is supposed to be the Head of the Danish Church when his mother dies. (That is my understanding of it at least)
A close friend of mine was forced to chose between her religion and the man she loved and i remember her father saying to her for some people religion is an appearnce not a way of life. If Denmark is ok with a secular monarchy thats great for them I believe in freedom of religion but if you attend the ceremony have the courtesy to wait for the finish of it.
At my fathers funeral there were many people who came out of respect for him who came from many religions and for them it was their first time in a christian church let alone a catholic one. Some just sat and stood at the approriate times as was their right, some sat not understanding english and the priest. Others took communion even though they were of different faiths. Some stood outside the churchyard fearing their prescence would be an offence ( i was sorry i had not explained our faith to them better). I do not practice my religion to the best of my ability but I thank each and every person who attends a religious service and conducts themselves with courtesy. I have attended muslim, buddhist and jewish ceremonies and though lacking the language and knowledge of custom have attempted not to offend and been successful. Please dont think im preaching but courtesty costs nothing. My respect for the Crown prince and his family is severely decreased by this report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I agree here - they should have shown up. In total I find this attitude a bit careless, go there, not stay until the end and leave waving (Mary) even more when keeping in mind that QM is the head of the National Church (to be succeeded by Fred some day). That fur coat of Mary's is horrible, it's that old ladys' fur, astrakhan. She can still wear it when she's 80. Fred is greying out more and more and becomes a lookalike of Ari Behn
Better not to go than bugger off after the photos and disrupt other peoples prayers.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Nobility

I thought the article that I read said they stayed for the two hour service and only left before communion. There was a long line up for communion and there was to be a baptism as well.
Mary had stayed with the Queen, the last time.
Maybe the men have a reason that cannot take communion, and maybe the children especially the youngest needed Mary.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
Isn't the Queen the head of the Danish Lutheran Church? So in that way I suppose it would be a problem if she wasn;t religious.

They probably had a good reason why they left, maybe somebody felt ill? Can't imagine any other reason why people would leave early, unless the sermon would have been rather disturbing.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, apparently they all seemed happy when they left, smiling and waving to the crowd.

Also, they appear to have done this the past couple of years if I am reading correctly. So that is a very convenient illness and quickly over if it is indeed an illness.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Courtier

Gosh I don’t understand what the big deal is; they went to the service and stayed to the end, until communion. They chose not to partake in communion for their own reasons and left. It is not like the sneaked out the back door just after they arrived. Some of the Royal family did the same thing at Christmas time and I don’t remember anyone been outraged by it, of course Mary’s outfit was the main topic of concern then
Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Gosh I don’t understand what the big deal is; they went to the service and stayed to the end, until communion. They chose not to partake in communion for their own reasons and left. It is not like the sneaked out the back door just after they arrived. Some of the Royal family did the same thing at Christmas time and I don’t remember anyone been outraged by it, of course Mary’s outfit was the main topic of concern then
I agree. So what if they don't want to stay the entire service? I can hardly stand the 1 hour services, I can't imagine 2 hours.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Courtier

^ ^ But they did stay till the end of the service, communion is at the very end of the service and if I am not mistaken in Evangelical Lutherain Church not every one partakes in communion.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
The Easter service discussion about Henrik, Frederik and Mary has been moved into its own thread called Religious Habits of the Danish Royal Family Members. Enjoy!

Mandy

The Scandinavian Royals Message Board: Re: Danish royals attending Arhus cathedral

Sadly this tread is closed, though I still want to post the following comment I've found at the SRMB made by the Dane Martin C.

"The church service ends before the communion takes place. There is played "godbye-music" and if one does not attend to recieve the communion it is quite normal to leave. Prince Henrik never accepts communion. I don't know about Frederik and Mary. "

Sorry to say it. It's so easy to judge other people harshly with no or simple not enough knowledge. I hope we all will never come under the horoscope of a certain kind of media or some members of some message boards. The last sentence isn't meant to criticise the participants of the thread in question. It's much more meant as a general statement, sometimes I can't believe what halfway intelligent people are willed to post on message boards.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Hello Binz,

Perhaps the confusion comes from this: In most christian religions, the church service is not considered over until after communion. I know that in the Catholic mass, there is still about 10 minutes or so of service left after communion. Perhaps it is different in the Danish Lutheran Church.

Tags
danish royals