The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-31-2015, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinther View Post
Anyone here know why the catholich church doesn't pray for the queen?
This is off topic, but the US Catholic liturgy does not include prayer for our President either. Any part of the government can be included when there is good reason, times of trouble, etc. But it is not a regular practice.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:59 AM
Nobility

In the Episcopal Church, USA, the president is prayed for every week in the Prayers of the People. (I think they are called the 'bidding prayers' in the UK) There is also a petition to pray ''for those in authority.'' The non-liturgical churches have some leeway in their services, so they may also pray for the president.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
It is different in the Danish Lutheran Church. Communion takes place after the church service is over. So, when attending a danish church service, the majority of churchgoers leaves before communion. Only if you have got a very special and personal reason for participating in the communion you stay.

So, when members of the royal family leave church before communion, they are doing exactly what is in accordance with danish church tradition. This might (as some posters on this thread have written) seem rude when compared with other religions - but within the danish lutheran church it is simply the way things are done.
I just read the whole thread and had to react on this comment

It is downright wrong! The service in the Danish Lutheran Church is not over until itīs over and itīs not normal to leave the church before the service is over - and that is after the communion, a prayer for the week to come, the blessing, a hymn and the postludium. So about 10 minutes.

The reason why the Prince Consort is leaving is that he grew up and was raised catholic and as a headrule then catholics canīt share communion with protestants.

And I can imagine that in Århus Cathedral at Easter Mass thereīs a lot of people and therefor the communion takes longer than normal. And, knowing the challenges with the health of the Prince Consort, it can be hard to sit on the churh benches, so itīs fully understandable that he leaves before the service is over. Then CP Frederik follows him, perhaps due to the space in the cars or just for the company :)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
This is off topic, but the US Catholic liturgy does not include prayer for our President either. Any part of the government can be included when there is good reason, times of trouble, etc. But it is not a regular practice.
AdmirerUS is correct. Typically there is a generalized intention for God to bless world and national leaders and to guide them to make just and compassionate decisions.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post

The reason why the Prince Consort is leaving is that he grew up and was raised catholic and as a headrule then catholics canīt share communion with protestants.
Didn't the Prince Consort convert to Lutheranism though after he got married ? I thought he did , but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Hasn't the Prince Consort converted to Lutheranism though after he got married ? I thought he had , but maybe I'm wrong.
Well, heīs still raised as catholic And Iīm not sure that he converted, CPss Mary didnīt, Countess Alexandra did. Iīm not sure about Pss Marie either.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Nobility

The palace announced in 2003 that Mary Donaldson would convert from Presbyterianism to Evangelical Lutheranism.

Quote:
Miss Donaldson is a British and an Australian citizen and is currently a member of the Presbyterian church. She has agreed to become a member of the Evangelical-Lutheran church and to apply for Danish citizenship, thus relinquishing her British and Australian citizenship ties.
There was a similar announcement in 2007 concerning Marie Cavallier:

Quote:
Miss Marie Cavallier is a French citizen and belongs to the Roman Catholic Church. It is her wish to become a member of the Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Denmark in connection with the marriage. Miss Cavallier also wishes to apply for Danish citizenship and in this way to be released from her French citizenship.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

The palace announced in 2003 that Mary Donaldson would convert from Presbyterianism to Evangelical Lutheranism.
Iīm just quite sure that I have read that Bishop Erik Normann-Svendsen stated that CPss Mary didnīt convert. She did however received education about the Danish chruch and its tradtition.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:33 PM
Nobility

The Lutheran Church would have recognized her baptism and confirmation, so it was probably a matter of receiving some instruction, and acceptance into the Lutheran church. That being said, it bothers me when I read that ''Mary had to change her religion.'' She did not change her religion - Presbyterian and Lutheran are Christian faiths, but different denominations within that faith. She was a Christian and remains a Christian - she only changed her denomination. Peace.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:05 AM
Majesty

I quite agree! Same train, different carriages.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:33 AM
Serene Highness

Yes, thatīs the explanation. CPss Mary didnīt convert as then Pss Alexandra did. Pss Alexandra got confirmed before her wedding with Prince Joachim. I remember a photo of her in a light pink dress.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Nobility

Regarding the Prince Consort and communion, I suspect HRH feels uncomfortable about receiving communion in a Protestant church, not necessarily because he believes the consecration to be invalid (although that is certainly how the Catechism instructs Catholics to view non-canonical communion), but rather that he is conscious that his own (or former) faith tradition precludes non-Catholics from receiving the sacrament of communion and it is therefore polite to decline the invitation to the Lord's table in other denominations.

Writing as a Roman Catholic, I have the same view. I have been made to feel extremely welcome at Church of England and Lutheran communion services and been invited to receive communion, but have instead opted for a blessing reflecting the Catholic requirement of non-Catholics attending Mass.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:46 AM
Serene Highness

And as a lutheran I know that catholics donīt share communion with protestants. So when Iīm in a catholic church (or not sure whether itīs catholic or protestant) I just stay seated on the bench during communion in respect of the catholic believe :)

And I agree with you about the Prince Consort not receiving communion in a protestant church.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
And as a lutheran I know that catholics donīt share communion with protestants. So when Iīm in a catholic church (or not sure whether itīs catholic or protestant) I just stay seated on the bench during communion in respect of the catholic believe :)

And I agree with you about the Prince Consort not receiving communion in a protestant church.
Wikipedia lists Prince Henrik as a member of the Church of Denmark. In that case, there is no reason why he should not take communion in a Lutheran service.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Wikipedia lists Prince Henrik as a member of the Church of Denmark. In that case, there is no reason why he should not take communion in a Lutheran service.
It is only offered as an example of the Catholic viewpoint, which despite his public conversion, the Prince Consort may still profess privately. Once learned, the Catechism of the Catholic Church is quite difficult to abandon.

I am not for a moment suggesting that Prince Henrik's conversion was insincere, but if he is for any reason uncomfortable about receiving communion in a Lutheran church, his Catholic origins might have something to do with it.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Schlesian View Post
It is only offered as an example of the Catholic viewpoint, which despite his public conversion, the Prince Consort may still profess privately. Once learned, the Catechism of the Catholic Church is quite difficult to abandon.

I am not for a moment suggesting that Prince Henrik's conversion was insincere, but if he is for any reason uncomfortable about receiving communion in a Lutheran church, his Catholic origins might have something to do with it.
And I totally agree with you. And no one in Denmark finds it strange that he doesnīt take part in the communion.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
And no one in Denmark finds it strange that he doesnīt take part in the communion.
Which is surely more important than our pontification on here!
Old 04-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Schlesian View Post
Which is surely more important than our pontification on here!
Yes
Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes
I wonder if in old age he is drifting back to the religion he was raised in. I mean, is he really a Lutheran because he so wanted to be? A lot of conversions happen when you marry into a royal family because it's expected.There is no way all of these conversions can be sincere. If he'd married a fellow Catholic he'd probably have stayed as he was as would Marie I think as well. Perhaps as he nears the end of his life he is thinking more deeply about these things as most people do.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Yes, thatīs the explanation. CPss Mary didnīt convert as then Pss Alexandra did. Pss Alexandra got confirmed before her wedding with Prince Joachim. I remember a photo of her in a light pink dress.
Why then did the palace announce that Mary became a member of the Lutheran church?

Tags
danish royals