The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 AM
Aristocracy

Personally,I even don't think to compare alexandra and Mary,I think everybody is what he is,and it's not by comparisons that we can proove or not that one is better than the other,people are different and they have different histories and lives,so why to compare them,it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale

Really? I was certain I could make out Mary becoming quite glassy eyed as she walked up the aisle. She didn't weep (whilst making her way to the alter) but nonetheless she seemed very much effected by the ceremony and the magnitude of it all.
I agree with you Madame Royale. Mary did actually cry sometimes during the ceremony, i'm sure i saw footage of her dabbing her eyes with a tissue. Mary walked up the aisle the way she wanted to, the way she dreamed of walking up the aisle and if that is how she evisoned herself walking down the aisle, the good on her. It was her wedding afterall and that is how she wanted to walk up the aisle.

I do respect your opinions on this auntie, its great to see many different perspectives.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraKhan
Personally,I even don't think to compare alexandra and Mary,I think everybody is what he is,and it's not by comparisons that we can proove or not that one is better than the other,people are different and they have different histories and lives,so why to compare them,it's like comparing apples and oranges.
Well put TamaraKhan - couldn't agree more.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
Recently I looked at some clips ot Fred and Mary's wedding, and I couldn't help noticing the difference in the way Mary behaved in comparison to Alex 9 years before, no offense to Mary,and I am not talking about her marriage, but it seemed that she was trying so hard to play the part of a royal, she looked like she was acting, even the famous Waltz, and going down the aisle, which is usually so emotional, she seemed so arrogant and hoity toity, Alex on the other hand was SOO in love, it is so apparant from the wedding pics and video, ah yes, sometimes good things come to an end. Maybe this ambition of perfectionism that Mary seems to have is what will help her marriage last over the years...
I have totally different impressions.

Though I agree that Mary sometimes was trying too hard to appear "royal"
I did not see any arrogance and thought she looked quite nervous and emotional
when she arrived at the church and went down the aisle but tried to supress it.
(Therefore she did not appear as emotional as Frederik.)
Afterwards she relaxed a bit, cried during her mother's favourite song
and was very emotional during her husband's speech.

Alex on the other hand appeared like a woman with absolute selfconfidence and a load of charme
but I personally could not see that she was SOO in love with Joachim.
(And I still can't if I look at their wedding pictures.)
He seemed very much in love with her, she seemed very pleased with the whole situation.
Alexandra generally shows a warm smile/perfect fassade but not much emotion IMO.
That was so at her wedding and it was so after her divorce annoucement.
(Joachim on the other side looked like he just came out of hell.)

And I think (and hope) the true love Mary seems to have for Frederik and he for her (which was so apparent at their wedding)
will help them to make their marriage last over the years.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
I agree with you Madame Royale. Mary did actually cry sometimes during the ceremony, i'm sure i saw footage of her dabbing her eyes with a tissue. Mary walked up the aisle the way she wanted to, the way she dreamed of walking up the aisle and if that is how she evisoned herself walking down the aisle, the good on her. It was her wedding afterall and that is how she wanted to walk up the aisle.

I do respect your opinions on this auntie, its great to see many different perspectives.
Mary did wipe tears away from her eyes at one stage of the ceremony (that we know of), with what I believe to have been a silk handkerchief.

During Prince Henrik's, her father's and the Queen's speeches, Mary showed signs of emotion. And certainly during her husbands speech

BTW: I also thought Mary (although radiant) looked a little tired on her wedding day. I think she had had a very big week beforehand.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Nobility

Smile

The thing that a lot of people don't seem to understand is no two people act the same in situations. Our emotions show in different ways that is not wrong that is just how it is. There is not text book way of handling our emotions basically we are all different. I have an extreme example I know people who don't cry at funerals no matter who the deceased is , in some peoples eyes they are unfeeling. In actuality they simply keep their emotions to themselves.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by seto
The thing that a lot of people don't seem to understand is no two people act the same in situations. Our emotions show in different ways that is not wrong that is just how it is. There is not text book way of handling our emotions basically we are all different. I have an extreme example I know people who don't cry at funerals no matter who the deceased is , in some peoples eyes they are unfeeling. In actuality they simply keep their emotions to themselves.
I must agree with you. No two people are the same and because of this we all react differently to situations.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Aristocracy

Funnily, I have always seen Princess Alexandra as an exceptionally good and fresh representative for the danish monarchy and royal house. I still do. But after Crown Princess Mary came into the picture, Princess Alexandras past contributions has paled a bit, to me at least. All Princess Alexandras work suddenly seems to only have been proffesional. Princess Alexandra is proffesional, bot somehow nothing more I think Princess Alexandra was lucky comming into the royal house when every thing at a time was a little quiete. She had a blank canvas, she could fill out just with a smile and the press at the time was much more nice than today. But looking back now, it all just seems professional. Professional is the word, but nothing more, to me.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

How boring the world would be if everyone was the same. I think the differences in these women should be embraced. They are both very fine women
Old 11-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by seto
Couldn't agree more. I mean, it's not a requirement, now is it, to cry at one's own nuptials?
Not to mention the fact that crying at one's wedding doesn't necessarily equate being a whorthy person, who on the planet came up with that definition?! On the contrary, crying on your wedding can also be translated as you being at least, a self-involved naval gazer! To be so overcome by the fact that you, (as in, "one") of all people, are being wed, oh my gosh that must just be <the> most moving moment in the history of the whole wide world! Ugh. I'm glad not every bride cries at her ceremony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda
I have totally different impressions.

Though I agree that Mary sometimes was trying too hard to appear "royal"
I did not see any arrogance and thought she looked quite nervous and emotional
when she arrived at the church and went down the aisle but tried to supress it.
(Therefore she did not appear as emotional as Frederik.)
Afterwards she relaxed a bit, cried during her mother's favourite song
and was very emotional during her husband's speech.

Alex on the other hand appeared like a woman with absolute selfconfidence and a load of charme
but I personally could not see that she was SOO in love with Joachim.
(And I still can't if I look at their wedding pictures.)
He seemed very much in love with her, she seemed very pleased with the whole situation.
Alexandra generally shows a warm smile/perfect fassade but not much emotion IMO.
That was so at her wedding and it was so after her divorce annoucement.
(Joachim on the other side looked like he just came out of hell.)
Couldn't agree more. Joachim seemed very much in love in teh beginning, and judging by the fact that Alexandra pretty much <always> manages to produce a smile to the cameras no matter the turmoil in her own personal life, I agree it's hard if not impossible to deduce from pictures right around her wedding whether she was in love or merely acting professionally. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt as I'm trying to do with all these commoner-born princesses: it's impossible to really know the truth.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
The Crown Princess's relationship with the Countess is one that has remained rather untouched, or shall we say...non-circulated for tabloid matter.

My guess - and it is only a guess - is that Mary and Alexandra get along fine but dont see each other all that much.

Mary would have been well aware of Joachim and Alexandra's intentions to seperate. I mean, they officially seperated after Frederik and Mary's wedding so there's no question she would have known for quite some time.

Just a little clarification...

HH Princess Alexandra, countess of Frederiksborg is still a member of the Danish Royal House.

http://kongehuset.dk/publish.php?dogtag=k_en_fam
Alexandra is still a member of the Danish Royal House as you state and I still wonder what drove Joachim and Alexandra to divorce. It had to be something aweful to trade a life of pampering for a life of HH (i.e. when you marry you lose the HH, having to use the same clothes over and over, etc.). The DRF although supportive of Alexandra, made darn sure that they would not have a costly divorce again with the revision of CP Mary's pre-nuptual agreement. I am sure the DRF is anxious to have Alexandra off of their payroll. My two cents!

Either way you look at it between Alexandra and Mary, Mary will be queen and Alexandra will not. Should Alexandra remain in Denmark, which I think she will, Alexandra will be her subject.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourdes
I am sure the DRF is anxious to have Alexandra off of their payroll. My two cents!
Is she on their payroll? I mean, does she cost Her Majesty or prince Joachim even one cent from their apanages apart from getting child support? I wasn't aware of that.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:34 AM
Royal Highness

I think it's too soon to change the pre-nuptial agreement! I think if you make past the 10-15 year mark, you've got a better shot of it lasting and then you can make revisions. What would happen if Mary hadn't agreed to the revisions?

Would Alexandra and Mary's relationship with each other be influenced by Frederick & Joachim's relationship with each other?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168
I think it's too soon to change the pre-nuptial agreement! I think if you make past the 10-15 year mark, you've got a better shot of it lasting and then you can make revisions. What would happen if Mary hadn't agreed to the revisions?

Would Alexandra and Mary's relationship with each other be influenced by Frederick & Joachim's relationship with each other?
I think that the changed pre-nuptial came about because of what happened to Alexandra and Joachim. You say revisions would be more natural after 10-15 years of marriage, but as with Alexandra and Joachim they didn't reach their 10 year anniversary. I think they were thinking better safe than sorry. Fact is, around 50 % of all marriages end in divorce in the western world, royal or common.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Royal Highness

But most marriages end before they reach the 10 or 15 year mark, so if you're going to makes changes where the woman doesn't get as much, better for her to wait until after they pass that mark. As you said A & J's marriage didn't last 10 years and so she got what was coming to her per her prenup. But Mary's was changed two years into her marriage so she wouldn't get as much as Alexandra didn't. Why would Mary agree to that? I can understand being in love and thinking your marriage is going to last for your lifetime, but she still signed the prenup! Why change it then so it favors you less?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Nobility

I have to say that I too find the way the Danish court changed this pre-nup a bit suspicious. But at the same time I get the court's perspective too. I don't get it either that Mary - who to me seem like a realistic, smart, I-know-what-I want kind of girl - would accept that deal. Perhaps she has a plan to save a lot of her "income", just in case? Or they have some private arrangement? Or have a nestegg in a secret Swiss bank account? We can only speculate about what Mary and Frederik's toughts were on these changes.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

For me the most plausible explanation is that (as was translated here from the Danish language) some clauses in the pre-nup were legally not correct in their wording and had to be dealt with. It could well be that Princess Mary as mother of the future king is not longer the responsibility of her husband alone, but became through the birth of the acknowledged heir prince Christian a public personage in Denmark with a right to her own apanage payed by the state. Thus there was no need to mend these clauses but they were simply removed.

Here in Germany we have a legal principle which is called the "Salvatorische Klausel" - which translates to the "solving or mending clause". It says that in case one clause of the legal document is invalid, the whole document should be legally binding as if the invalid clause is no part of the document. Thus a contract is binding even though some passages may be invalid.

I don't know about Danish law but there are law systems without this mending clause - there the whole document is invalid in case one clause is invalid. If Denmark has such an understanding of the law, there could well be need to do something about the pre-nup, to save at least the rest of it. It was said here that lawyers were amused about this pre-nup, so I guess it was invalid as it was before - which is very amusing to lawyers....

For Mary it would mean she has now a perfectly legal pre-nup agreement and is taken well care off in case of a diorce, because the Danish state will see to it that she gets a suitable apanage for the mother of a future king.
Saying all this, I do sincerely hope that Mary dies one day (in the very far future) as beloved queen of Denmark, respected and loved by her family and her subjects.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Aristocracy

Wink

Hello everybody, I am Heike.

I became a fan of Princess Alexandra of Denmark in late 2004, just short after the announcement that she and Prince Joachim will seperate and finally divorce.

This week I found a very mean article against Princess Alexandra published in a German magazine. It was the cover story about why Alexandra and Mary don´t get along with each other. (My first question, do they really don´t get along with each other?)

According to this article, the reason is that Alex is very jealous of Mary. The author even wrote that Alex went to talk to the Queen asking for more charity jobs after seeing Mary so well-loved because of her work. But the Queen refused her request and made it clear for Alex that now Mary is the middle point. She didn´t allow Alex to walk on the red carpet in the New Year´s gala. Alex must use the side door as a "normal" guest. She is no more a member of the RF, no more a "Her Royal Highness" and she must step aside.

The popularity of Mary in Denmark goes higher and higher. Alex is very upset and unpleasant about this fact.

Are there any Danes in this forum? Is it true that Alex is not so beloved like before?

I am sometimes confused why many German media call Princess Alexandra Hong-Kong Chinese when referring to her original nationality. It seems that these media haven´t checked carefully enough about her background. She was born in Hong Kong when it still belonged to the Great Britain. She was a British citizen. As for her heritage, she is half Austrian, one-fourth British and one-fourth Chinese. In this magazine she was called a Hong-Kong Chinese again. What is the logic to call her so?

Maybe there are more fans of Mary in Germany so the author produced something against Alex in order to sell more copies.

One more question, does anyone know if Mary read stories for children before Christmas? This article claimed so but I remember it was Alex who did this? Or both of them read stories for children before Christmas?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heike
I am sometimes confused why many German media call Princess Alexandra Hong-Kong Chinese when referring to her original nationality. It seems that these media haven´t checked carefully enough about her background. She was born in Hong Kong when it still belonged to the Great Britain. She was a British citizen. As for her heritage, she is half Austrian, one-fourth British and one-fourth Chinese. In this magazine she was called a Hong-Kong Chinese again. What is the logic to call her so?
I find this interesting too that she is identified by the ethnicity that makes up her DNA the least. But to MOST people, she looks Asian, so that's how people are going to see her.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 01-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Gentry

Hi, I don't usually get into these discussions about Alexandra, but I have for some time thought that the reason Joachim and Alex broke up, was because Alex had been having an affair with Martin.
Please, I may be totally wrong, and if I am I apologise, but isn't this what happened?