Relationship between Mary and Alexandra

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madame Royale said:
The Crown Princess's relationship with the Countess is one that has remained rather untouched, or shall we say...non-circulated for tabloid matter.

My guess - and it is only a guess - is that Mary and Alexandra get along fine but dont see each other all that much.

Mary would have been well aware of Joachim and Alexandra's intentions to seperate. I mean, they officially seperated after Frederik and Mary's wedding so there's no question she would have known for quite some time.

Just a little clarification...

HH Princess Alexandra, countess of Frederiksborg is still a member of the Danish Royal House.

http://kongehuset.dk/publish.php?dogtag=k_en_fam

Alexandra is still a member of the Danish Royal House as you state and I still wonder what drove Joachim and Alexandra to divorce. It had to be something aweful to trade a life of pampering for a life of HH (i.e. when you marry you lose the HH, having to use the same clothes over and over, etc.). The DRF although supportive of Alexandra, made darn sure that they would not have a costly divorce again with the revision of CP Mary's pre-nuptual agreement. I am sure the DRF is anxious to have Alexandra off of their payroll. My two cents!

Either way you look at it between Alexandra and Mary, Mary will be queen and Alexandra will not. Should Alexandra remain in Denmark, which I think she will, Alexandra will be her subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lourdes said:
I am sure the DRF is anxious to have Alexandra off of their payroll. My two cents!

Is she on their payroll? I mean, does she cost Her Majesty or prince Joachim even one cent from their apanages apart from getting child support? I wasn't aware of that.

I think it's too soon to change the pre-nuptial agreement! I think if you make past the 10-15 year mark, you've got a better shot of it lasting and then you can make revisions. What would happen if Mary hadn't agreed to the revisions?

Would Alexandra and Mary's relationship with each other be influenced by Frederick & Joachim's relationship with each other?

RubyPrincess168 said:
I think it's too soon to change the pre-nuptial agreement! I think if you make past the 10-15 year mark, you've got a better shot of it lasting and then you can make revisions. What would happen if Mary hadn't agreed to the revisions?

Would Alexandra and Mary's relationship with each other be influenced by Frederick & Joachim's relationship with each other?

I think that the changed pre-nuptial came about because of what happened to Alexandra and Joachim. You say revisions would be more natural after 10-15 years of marriage, but as with Alexandra and Joachim they didn't reach their 10 year anniversary. I think they were thinking better safe than sorry. Fact is, around 50 % of all marriages end in divorce in the western world, royal or common.

But most marriages end before they reach the 10 or 15 year mark, so if you're going to makes changes where the woman doesn't get as much, better for her to wait until after they pass that mark. As you said A & J's marriage didn't last 10 years and so she got what was coming to her per her prenup. But Mary's was changed two years into her marriage so she wouldn't get as much as Alexandra didn't. Why would Mary agree to that? I can understand being in love and thinking your marriage is going to last for your lifetime, but she still signed the prenup! Why change it then so it favors you less?

I have to say that I too find the way the Danish court changed this pre-nup a bit suspicious. But at the same time I get the court's perspective too. I don't get it either that Mary - who to me seem like a realistic, smart, I-know-what-I want kind of girl - would accept that deal. Perhaps she has a plan to save a lot of her "income", just in case? Or they have some private arrangement? Or have a nestegg in a secret Swiss bank account? We can only speculate about what Mary and Frederik's toughts were on these changes.

For me the most plausible explanation is that (as was translated here from the Danish language) some clauses in the pre-nup were legally not correct in their wording and had to be dealt with. It could well be that Princess Mary as mother of the future king is not longer the responsibility of her husband alone, but became through the birth of the acknowledged heir prince Christian a public personage in Denmark with a right to her own apanage payed by the state. Thus there was no need to mend these clauses but they were simply removed.

Here in Germany we have a legal principle which is called the "Salvatorische Klausel" - which translates to the "solving or mending clause". It says that in case one clause of the legal document is invalid, the whole document should be legally binding as if the invalid clause is no part of the document. Thus a contract is binding even though some passages may be invalid.

I don't know about Danish law but there are law systems without this mending clause - there the whole document is invalid in case one clause is invalid. If Denmark has such an understanding of the law, there could well be need to do something about the pre-nup, to save at least the rest of it. It was said here that lawyers were amused about this pre-nup, so I guess it was invalid as it was before - which is very amusing to lawyers....;)

For Mary it would mean she has now a perfectly legal pre-nup agreement and is taken well care off in case of a diorce, because the Danish state will see to it that she gets a suitable apanage for the mother of a future king.
Saying all this, I do sincerely hope that Mary dies one day (in the very far future) as beloved queen of Denmark, respected and loved by her family and her subjects. :flowers:

Hello everybody, I am Heike.

I became a fan of Princess Alexandra of Denmark in late 2004, just short after the announcement that she and Prince Joachim will seperate and finally divorce.

This week I found a very mean article against Princess Alexandra published in a German magazine. It was the cover story about why Alexandra and Mary don´t get along with each other. (My first question, do they really don´t get along with each other?)

According to this article, the reason is that Alex is very jealous of Mary. The author even wrote that Alex went to talk to the Queen asking for more charity jobs after seeing Mary so well-loved because of her work. But the Queen refused her request and made it clear for Alex that now Mary is the middle point. She didn´t allow Alex to walk on the red carpet in the New Year´s gala. Alex must use the side door as a "normal" guest. She is no more a member of the RF, no more a "Her Royal Highness" and she must step aside.

The popularity of Mary in Denmark goes higher and higher. Alex is very upset and unpleasant about this fact.

Are there any Danes in this forum? Is it true that Alex is not so beloved like before?

I am sometimes confused why many German media call Princess Alexandra Hong-Kong Chinese when referring to her original nationality. It seems that these media haven´t checked carefully enough about her background. She was born in Hong Kong when it still belonged to the Great Britain. She was a British citizen. As for her heritage, she is half Austrian, one-fourth British and one-fourth Chinese. In this magazine she was called a Hong-Kong Chinese again. What is the logic to call her so?

Maybe there are more fans of Mary in Germany so the author produced something against Alex in order to sell more copies.

One more question, does anyone know if Mary read stories for children before Christmas? This article claimed so but I remember it was Alex who did this? Or both of them read stories for children before Christmas?

Heike said:
I am sometimes confused why many German media call Princess Alexandra Hong-Kong Chinese when referring to her original nationality. It seems that these media haven´t checked carefully enough about her background. She was born in Hong Kong when it still belonged to the Great Britain. She was a British citizen. As for her heritage, she is half Austrian, one-fourth British and one-fourth Chinese. In this magazine she was called a Hong-Kong Chinese again. What is the logic to call her so?

I find this interesting too that she is identified by the ethnicity that makes up her DNA the least. :ermm: But to MOST people, she looks Asian, so that's how people are going to see her.

Hi, I don't usually get into these discussions about Alexandra, but I have for some time thought that the reason Joachim and Alex broke up, was because Alex had been having an affair with Martin.
Please, I may be totally wrong, and if I am I apologise, but isn't this what happened?

Lourdes said:
Either way you look at it between Alexandra and Mary, Mary will be queen and Alexandra will not. Should Alexandra remain in Denmark, which I think she will, Alexandra will be her subject.

A little correction. Alexandra will never be a 'subject' to Mary. Both ladies are and will always be a 'subject' to the Danish Sovereign as long as they remain Danish citizens. In that sense, both are equal. Only their préséance at the Court is different.

:flowers:

P.S.: most countries, even monarchies, do no not (or no longer) know the notion of 'subjects'.

Last edited:
suss 2 said:
Hi, I don't usually get into these discussions about Alexandra, but I have for some time thought that the reason Joachim and Alex broke up, was because Alex had been having an affair with Martin.
Please, I may be totally wrong, and if I am I apologise, but isn't this what happened?

This is a false rumor. There is no evidence to support this claim, Suss 2.

To this day, the public does not know the reason for their divorce and it will remain that way.

Thank you for the clarification, GlitteringTiaras. Just what I wanted.

Heike said:
This week I found a very mean article against Princess Alexandra published in a German magazine. It was the cover story about why Alexandra and Mary don´t get along with each other. (My first question, do they really don´t get along with each other?)

According to this article, the reason is that Alex is very jealous of Mary. The author even wrote that Alex went to talk to the Queen asking for more charity jobs after seeing Mary so well-loved because of her work. But the Queen refused her request and made it clear for Alex that now Mary is the middle point. She didn´t allow Alex to walk on the red carpet in the New Year´s gala. Alex must use the side door as a "normal" guest. She is no more a member of the RF, no more a "Her Royal Highness" and she must step aside.

The popularity of Mary in Denmark goes higher and higher. Alex is very upset and unpleasant about this fact.
I am very sceptical towards anything I read in German magazines.
Usually they take 5% truth and wrap it up in 95% fiction.
The 5% truth in this case is that Alexandra is no longer "Her Royal Highness" but "Her Higness"
and that she was a "normal" guest at the New Year's Court and therefore entered the palace like all the other guests.

Everything else I would say is the magazine's personal interpretation and speculation.
And actually there is another magazine this week claiming the exact opposite:
Mary is jealous of Alexandra because she is more popular than her.

Stories like that popped up the moment Mary appeared on the scene
and only show the journalists' limited imagination if you ask me.
Moreover they make neither of the two ladies look good.

Heike said:

One more question, does anyone know if Mary read stories for children before Christmas? This article claimed so but I remember it was Alex who did this? Or both of them read stories for children before Christmas?
Usually there is no logic in German magazines and a lot of mistakes.
(Yes, it was only Alexandra who read stories to children.)
They make up stories which they believe will sell: rivalry, marriage problems, homesickness....

Heike said:
Are there any Danes in this forum? Is it true that Alex is not so beloved like before?
Well, let's wait for the next poll.
I personally think she is still very popular, though perhaps not as beloved as before.
As someone who does not like her I feel I am quite in the minority.:lol:
(But I am only a half-Dane and not living in Denmark.
So perhaps I am wrong.)

Last edited:
BurberryBrit said:
I find this interesting too that she is identified by the ethnicity that makes up her DNA the least. :ermm: But to MOST people, she looks Asian, so that's how people are going to see her.

To me she looks Asian, too, but only if you see her from the front. I think it´s because of her eyes. If you see her profile pictures taken from the side, she looks very European. Alex looks like her father. On the contrary, her two sisters don´t look Asian at all.

Anyway, it´s really weird to see or hear the media here calling her "Hong-Kong Chinese". In the daily German conversation, a Hong Kong Chinese means simply a Chinese from Hong Kong, whose citizenship or ethnicity is Chinese. It´s a pity that the media choose this word to identify her without any further explaination. In this way, her multicultural and multilingual background can´t be revealed to people who don´t know her. I think her mixed background is one of the reasons which makes her so special and attractive!!

Although it´s quite natural and instinctive to identify one´s ethnicity through his/her appearance, this doesn´t apply to the journalists. It´s their obligation to check up everything before they publish a story.

I think it is a pitty that they don't talk too mucht!

RachelD said:
When was this?
:sad: I can't remember. I clicked away the tab instead of off the tab, so the link went. i'll just go and look...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom