The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Just as Mary is referred to as the Danish-born crown princess or Maxima as Argentinian-born.

The issue for me is the added reference that Alexandra is Asian. To identify in which country she was born is no big deal -- it is a fact that is undisputable.

The implication that Alexandra is "a British-born Asian" implies (to me) that:
1) Asians are not commonly born in Britain and that to some extent Asians are an anamoly in Britain, making the fact that Alexandra, someone of Asian descent, a rareity.
2) It's required to identify Alexandra as being of Asian descent from all the other British-born individuals who are not Asian. How often do you hear someone say that someone is British-born but of Canadian/Indian/French/Mexican descent? Nobody says that Claire is a British-born Belgian princess of Scottish descent. (I don't know if that is the case; I am just making it up as an example.)

It can be deemed (and to me is) a subliminal racial comment.
Thank you! That is my point exactly!

Why is it necessary to called her 'Asian'? She is not Asian!

What's wrong with just 'British born princess' or 'hong kong born princess'? No one has ever called Mary 'an Australian born Scott' which is what she is actually. So why add racial implications???

And I am so sick of all these little comments about her race.

Going back to what I said already, if hypothetically speaking she was 1/4 Austrian instead of 1/4 Chinese, no one would ever call her an 'Austrian lady'.

But in reality she is only 1/4 Chinese, people feel they have the need to emphasis in their ignorant little minds that this incredible woman is "Asian", therefore hinting that she is lower down then the rest of Europe who are 100% white.

What a load of rubbish!!! I would have thought that Europeans would learn to be more tolerant after enduring 2 world wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
I agree. those brits are so self obssesed. they're always looking to claim some succesful person for themselves
hehe! That is true.

They (Hello Mag) claims that Alex is "British born" because she was born when HK was a British colony.

Ironically, these 'British born' HK citizens have no right to live in the UK!

Totally utterly ridiculous!!!

Old 01-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames
hehe! That is true.

They (Hello Mag) claims that Alex is "British born" because she was born when HK was a British colony.
indeed! though i've heard english is her first language...

Old 01-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
indeed! though i've heard english is her first language...
Yes it is.

It is more common for children of multi-national backgrounds to attend international schools then local Chinese schools in HK.

English is also the 2nd language there, most educated people with good careers can speak English quite well so it made a lot of sense for her parents to choose this as her mother tongue.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Alexandra actually faced some racisim because of her heritage and background. Even though weddings are always exciting, Alexandra was not so completely and warmly welcomed by the Danish people because she would be marrying into the royal family.

Even though Alexandra is greatly appreciated and loved by the Danes now, when her engagement to Joachim was first announced, the fact that she would be the first woman of Asian blood to marry into the Danish royal family was a very big deal.

She had it easier than Mary in some respects that she was marrying the second brother and would not have to be queen one day, but facing racist comments and comments about how you're not "good enough" because you are of a mixed/Asian background can't compensate for marrying "only" the second in line to the throne.
Alexandria, I found this post written by H.M. Margrethe regarding the racism faced by Alexandra and her family during the early years in Denmark.

Princess Alexandra, Current Events 2: May 2005 - April 2006
Old 01-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
Alexandria, I found this post written by H.M. Margrethe regarding the racism faced by Alexandra and her family during the early years in Denmark.

Princess Alexandra, Current Events 2: May 2005 - April 2006
I think Alex has been extremely lucky that the Queen and the immediate family seemed to have been so supportive of her.

Fred seems to be quite close to Alex, esp before he got married and had a baby

The Queen seems to be proud of Alex and have been generous to her in the divorce and not assigning any blame during the divorce (at least not in public)
Old 01-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think Alex has been extremely lucky that the Queen and the immediate family seemed to have been so supportive of her.
Fred seems to be quite close to Alex, esp before he got married and had a baby
The Queen seems to be proud of Alex and have been generous to her in the divorce and not assigning any blame during the divorce (at least not in public)
absolutely, even if there were some fringe groups against her because of her race she has always had the royal family behind her 100% and she has proven herself completely worthy of their trust.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Heir Apparent

That's great her family is so supportive. And I think Alexandra will always be part of the Royal Family, even in spite of the divorce. I alwayes admired greatly the way she handled her divorce. Just a quiet separation and she will be princess of Danes even if she will marry someone else (maybe not by title but in hearts).
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Nobility

I think people mention Princess Alexandra's 1/4 Asian ancestry not so much because they believe she is less than a person that appears to be 100% Caucasian, but because she has an Eurasian beauty that makes her seem exotic in the context of a European royal family. People like that she is unusual in that respect (as well as in others) so it comes up a lot. No one is going to bring up a person's 1/4 Austrian ancestry, because in Europe, that is ordinary and who would care?

And, of course, Mary's Austrailian/Scots background does come up a lot, too. Let's face it, when you marry into a royal family, people are very very interested in where you came from, in the immediate sense and in the dynastic sense.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
hehe! That is true.

i'm with you, that's just stupid!!!
PA is so classy and above labels- i'm sure she's proud of her heritage and loves all aspects of her parents and family (as she should). Its the small minded who have to put individuals in their assigned "boxes", so i'm not surprised the DRF love and respect PA and supported her from the beginning.

i think the correct lable should be "gracious hong-kong born princess"
Old 05-10-2006, 10:35 AM

Technically, anyone born in the colonies at the time of British rule is British because they were born on British soil. However, when the Empire was breaking up, it was clear that people who no longer wanted to be British subjects were still claiming that they had a right to live in the UK. Margaret Thatcher put a stop to it in the 80s. She said that if the colonies wanted to be independant then they could truly go it alone and wouldn't be entitled to residency here in Britain. It applies to Princess Alexandra in that she was born in British Hong Kong and so is by birth British, but because of HK's independance she doesn't have a right to live here. Strangely, this also applies to Australians and Canadians.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb
i'm with you, that's just stupid!!!
PA is so classy and above labels- i'm sure she's proud of her heritage and loves all aspects of her parents and family (as she should). Its the small minded who have to put individuals in their assigned "boxes", so i'm not surprised the DRF love and respect PA and supported her from the beginning.

i think the correct lable should be "gracious hong-kong born princess"
''Hong Kong born princess'' will do nicely.

gracious is a word with a value.

it's not neutral, and not everyone will agree.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Aristocracy

Seeing prictures of Princess Alexandra makes me say that her divorce is such a pity. Fortunately, the DRF do always consider her as a part of their family.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Serene Highness

just so my intent is clear this is the definition in my english dictionary

gra'cious(adj) kindly; courteous, charming, attractive

but hong kong born princess will do nicely i agree.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sira
Seeing prictures of Princess Alexandra makes me say that her divorce is such a pity. Fortunately, the DRF do always consider her as a part of their family.
Agreed. I hate to compare them, but Joaquin's new girlfriend Marie just doesn't seem right after Alexandra.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by politikgirl
Agreed. I hate to compare them, but Joaquin's new girlfriend Marie just doesn't seem right after Alexandra.
Alexandra is a tough act to follow. There were some discussion of whether future sister-in-law Mary could be as good as or surpass Alexandra, before she married Frederik. How much more doubt and speculation would there be for a second wife?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by politikgirl
That's an interesting statement. I'm just wondering, have you formed an opinion as to what type of woman you think will be right for Joachim after Alexandra?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with that what was said somewhere - the prince's new girlfriend looks more like Mary than Alexandra. Does she or she doesn't seem right for Joachim after Alexandra - I don't know. But Marie is a woman which Joachim choose for his girl friend.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Gentry

Oh well, since Joachim just broke up with Marie, we'll all have to put our heads together and figure out who the next girlfriend looks like!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Majesty

Just a reminder that this thread is about Mary and Alexandra... it's not about Joachim nor about Joachim's girlfriends. Please let's stay on topic.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Mandy
Danish Moderator
Old 07-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Anyone know about M&A relationships now?