Relationship between Mary and Alexandra

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Empress said:
Just a question, but has anyone reviewed what exactly Aledxandra did in the first few years of her marriage? It would be believable that she also took up the time to build her public schedule and initiate herseld into the various charities and organizations she heads/patronizes, would it not?

Mary can certainly not, in my opinion, equal Alexandras acheivements of many years in the 2 years that she has behind her already. It takes time. Furthermore, it would also be believable to think that Alexandras first few years were dedicated not only to the above, but to also producing a family.

Perhaps we should keep in mind that Alexandra has produced her family, while Mary is still working on this, and that Alexandra has many years that she has used to build her relationships with various organizations. It would be unfair and totally unrealistic to think that anyone could match those accomplishments in such a short time. Perhaps giving Mary the time to do so, and in her own manner would be the fairer thing to do?
The official line is that Alex had waited to have children because she wanted to make sure that she was well settled in first, which makes a lot of sense to me as I would not personally have a child if I have to move to a country where I am unfamiliar with the language, culture and politics.

I think your comments are very fair. Alex is my favourite but I have to say she did enjoy some advantages over Mary.

Her royal wedding was the first in Denmark for many years, naturally people are very excited by it. She came from a far east country and a mixed and cosmoplitan background which some may find fascilating.

I would also argue that there are now more channels in which we can discuss royalty than say in 1995 when Alex got married, hence there were less opportunities for people to voice their dislike/disapproval of her. The core press would of course say nice things about her therefore most of the news that people might have heard 10 years ago about Alex was probably mostly positive.

MJ :)

neither can I and I really want to see them.

were these taken before or after the separation was anounced?

melissajames said:
Her royal wedding was the first in Denmark for many years, naturally people are very excited by it. She came from a far east country and a mixed and cosmoplitan background which some may find fascilating.

Alexandra actually faced some racisim because of her heritage and background. Even though weddings are always exciting, Alexandra was not so completely and warmly welcomed by the Danish people because she would be marrying into the royal family.

Even though Alexandra is greatly appreciated and loved by the Danes now, when her engagement to Joachim was first announced, the fact that she would be the first woman of Asian blood to marry into the Danish royal family was a very big deal.

She had it easier than Mary in some respects that she was marrying the second brother and would not have to be queen one day, but facing racist comments and comments about how you're not "good enough" because you are of a mixed/Asian background can't compensate for marrying "only" the second in line to the throne.

Alexandria said:
Alexandra actually faced some racisim because of her heritage and background. Even though weddings are always exciting, Alexandra was not so completely and warmly welcomed by the Danish people because she would be marrying into the royal family.

Even though Alexandra is greatly appreciated and loved by the Danes now, when her engagement to Joachim was first announced, the fact that she would be the first woman of Asian blood to marry into the Danish royal family was a very big deal.

She had it easier than Mary in some respects that she was marrying the second brother and would not have to be queen one day, but facing racist comments and comments about how you're not "good enough" because you are of a mixed/Asian background can't compensate for marrying "only" the second in line to the throne.
That is quite interesting. I read an old article in Royalty Magazine that called her "a British born Asian lady". I was rather offened by that.

I can totally see your point that her 1/4 Chinese blood is a rather theatening issue for some white Europeans. I dare to question whether they would have called her "a British born Austrian lady" if she was only 1/4 Austrian. No - I doubt it. And this just shows how deep discrimination and racism is.

Alex is my favourite and I give her the full credit for taking it all under her stride and proving that she deserves respect and that she should not be judged solely of her mixed background.

BTW, do you think Princess Angela has to face a lot problems too?

melissajames said:
I can totally see your point that her 1/4 Chinese blood is a rather theatening issue for some white Europeans. I dare to question whether they would have called her "a British born Austrian lady" if she was only 1/4 Austrian. No - I doubt it. And this just shows how deep discrimination and racism is.

?

well, Claire Coombs is usually referred to as a "british born belgian."

Alexandria said:

Really. I did not see or hear anything about that. I remember that there was only positive comments about her in the media.. Do you have any links that shows the problems you are referring to. I remember people, including myself was very fascinated by her and very impressed by the fact that she learned danish so fast. She was the darling in the media, as I remember it:) I cant imagine that I would have missed it, if it was as you say, "a very big deal" that she was marrying into the royal family. Even the hardcore editor-in-chief of se and hør has called her one of the best in the royal family and an exemplary/ideal princess..

Last edited:
melissajames said:
BTW, do you think Princess Angela has to face a lot problems too?

As she only spends one day a year in Liechtenstein, I think that she has less problems with it, although I do not know what the attitude of people in NYC is...

pollyemma said:
well, Claire Coombs is usually referred to as a "british born belgian."

Just as Mary is referred to as the Danish-born crown princess or Maxima as Argentinian-born.

The issue for me is the added reference that Alexandra is Asian. To identify in which country she was born is no big deal -- it is a fact that is undisputable.

The implication that Alexandra is "a British-born Asian" implies (to me) that:
1) Asians are not commonly born in Britain and that to some extent Asians are an anamoly in Britain, making the fact that Alexandra, someone of Asian descent, a rareity.
2) It's required to identify Alexandra as being of Asian descent from all the other British-born individuals who are not Asian. How often do you hear someone say that someone is British-born but of Canadian/Indian/French/Mexican descent? Nobody says that Claire is a British-born Belgian princess of Scottish descent. (I don't know if that is the case; I am just making it up as an example.)

It can be deemed (and to me is) a subliminal racial comment.

I don´t know a lot of the facts about Alexandra so apologies if I´m wrong on some things. To my knowledge, one of her parents is Asian, or part-Asian? And so I think the statement that she is Asian is just stating the obvious (no racial intent)...eg. if a European married into the Japanese RF I´m sure there would be references to their origins, just like there is for Rania...As for the "British-born" part, IMO the British media are always happy to find a way to link Britain to those people who have achieved more than your average joe. For me the comment is not racial...it is an expression of pride...one hears often of the problems of integration of some Asians into a different society..isn´t it nice to hear something positive for a change...someone who has made a huge success of her life? If the British or other press want to make her into a positive role model by emphasising her background, what´s wrong with that?

eireann said:
As for the "British-born" part, IMO the British media are always happy to find a way to link Britain to those people who have achieved more than your average joe. ?

I agree. those brits are so self obssesed. they're always looking to claim some succesful person for themselves

Alexandria said:
Just as Mary is referred to as the Danish-born crown princess or Maxima as Argentinian-born.

The issue for me is the added reference that Alexandra is Asian. To identify in which country she was born is no big deal -- it is a fact that is undisputable.

The implication that Alexandra is "a British-born Asian" implies (to me) that:
1) Asians are not commonly born in Britain and that to some extent Asians are an anamoly in Britain, making the fact that Alexandra, someone of Asian descent, a rareity.
2) It's required to identify Alexandra as being of Asian descent from all the other British-born individuals who are not Asian. How often do you hear someone say that someone is British-born but of Canadian/Indian/French/Mexican descent? Nobody says that Claire is a British-born Belgian princess of Scottish descent. (I don't know if that is the case; I am just making it up as an example.)

It can be deemed (and to me is) a subliminal racial comment.
Thank you! That is my point exactly!

Why is it necessary to called her 'Asian'? She is not Asian!

What's wrong with just 'British born princess' or 'hong kong born princess'? No one has ever called Mary 'an Australian born Scott' which is what she is actually. So why add racial implications???

And I am so sick of all these little comments about her race.

Going back to what I said already, if hypothetically speaking she was 1/4 Austrian instead of 1/4 Chinese, no one would ever call her an 'Austrian lady'.

But in reality she is only 1/4 Chinese, people feel they have the need to emphasis in their ignorant little minds that this incredible woman is "Asian", therefore hinting that she is lower down then the rest of Europe who are 100% white.

What a load of rubbish!!! I would have thought that Europeans would learn to be more tolerant after enduring 2 world wars. :rolleyes:

pollyemma said:
I agree. those brits are so self obssesed. they're always looking to claim some succesful person for themselves
hehe! :D That is true.

They (Hello Mag) claims that Alex is "British born" because she was born when HK was a British colony.

Ironically, these 'British born' HK citizens have no right to live in the UK! :confused:

Totally utterly ridiculous!!! :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
melissajames said:

They (Hello Mag) claims that Alex is "British born" because she was born when HK was a British colony.
Ironically, these 'British born' HK citizens have no right to live in the UK! :confused:
indeed! though i've heard english is her first language...

pollyemma said:
indeed! though i've heard english is her first language...

Yes it is. ;)

It is more common for children of multi-national backgrounds to attend international schools then local Chinese schools in HK.

English is also the 2nd language there, most educated people with good careers can speak English quite well so it made a lot of sense for her parents to choose this as her mother tongue.

Alexandria said:

Alexandria, I found this post written by H.M. Margrethe regarding the racism faced by Alexandra and her family during the early years in Denmark.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/324282-post108.html

Mandy said:
Alexandria, I found this post written by H.M. Margrethe regarding the racism faced by Alexandra and her family during the early years in Denmark.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/324282-post108.html

I think Alex has been extremely lucky that the Queen and the immediate family seemed to have been so supportive of her.

Fred seems to be quite close to Alex, esp before he got married and had a baby

The Queen seems to be proud of Alex and have been generous to her in the divorce and not assigning any blame during the divorce (at least not in public)

melissajames said:
I think Alex has been extremely lucky that the Queen and the immediate family seemed to have been so supportive of her.
Fred seems to be quite close to Alex, esp before he got married and had a baby
The Queen seems to be proud of Alex and have been generous to her in the divorce and not assigning any blame during the divorce (at least not in public)
absolutely, even if there were some fringe groups against her because of her race she has always had the royal family behind her 100% and she has proven herself completely worthy of their trust.

That's great her family is so supportive. And I think Alexandra will always be part of the Royal Family, even in spite of the divorce. I alwayes admired greatly the way she handled her divorce. Just a quiet separation and she will be princess of Danes even if she will marry someone else (maybe not by title but in hearts).

I think people mention Princess Alexandra's 1/4 Asian ancestry not so much because they believe she is less than a person that appears to be 100% Caucasian, but because she has an Eurasian beauty that makes her seem exotic in the context of a European royal family. People like that she is unusual in that respect (as well as in others) so it comes up a lot. No one is going to bring up a person's 1/4 Austrian ancestry, because in Europe, that is ordinary and who would care?

And, of course, Mary's Austrailian/Scots background does come up a lot, too. Let's face it, when you marry into a royal family, people are very very interested in where you came from, in the immediate sense and in the dynastic sense.

melissajames said:

i'm with you, that's just stupid!!!
PA is so classy and above labels- i'm sure she's proud of her heritage and loves all aspects of her parents and family (as she should). Its the small minded who have to put individuals in their assigned "boxes", so i'm not surprised the DRF love and respect PA and supported her from the beginning.

i think the correct lable should be "gracious hong-kong born princess"

Technically, anyone born in the colonies at the time of British rule is British because they were born on British soil. However, when the Empire was breaking up, it was clear that people who no longer wanted to be British subjects were still claiming that they had a right to live in the UK. Margaret Thatcher put a stop to it in the 80s. She said that if the colonies wanted to be independant then they could truly go it alone and wouldn't be entitled to residency here in Britain. It applies to Princess Alexandra in that she was born in British Hong Kong and so is by birth British, but because of HK's independance she doesn't have a right to live here. Strangely, this also applies to Australians and Canadians.

bbb said:
i'm with you, that's just stupid!!!
PA is so classy and above labels- i'm sure she's proud of her heritage and loves all aspects of her parents and family (as she should). Its the small minded who have to put individuals in their assigned "boxes", so i'm not surprised the DRF love and respect PA and supported her from the beginning.

i think the correct lable should be "gracious hong-kong born princess"
''Hong Kong born princess'' will do nicely.

gracious is a word with a value.

it's not neutral, and not everyone will agree.

Seeing prictures of Princess Alexandra makes me say that her divorce is such a pity. Fortunately, the DRF do always consider her as a part of their family.

just so my intent is clear this is the definition in my english dictionary

gra'cious(adj) kindly; courteous, charming, attractive

but hong kong born princess will do nicely i agree.

Sira said:
Seeing prictures of Princess Alexandra makes me say that her divorce is such a pity. Fortunately, the DRF do always consider her as a part of their family.

Agreed. I hate to compare them, but Joaquin's new girlfriend Marie just doesn't seem right after Alexandra.

politikgirl said:
Agreed. I hate to compare them, but Joaquin's new girlfriend Marie just doesn't seem right after Alexandra.

Alexandra is a tough act to follow. There were some discussion of whether future sister-in-law Mary could be as good as or surpass Alexandra, before she married Frederik. How much more doubt and speculation would there be for a second wife?

politikgirl said:
That's an interesting statement. I'm just wondering, have you formed an opinion as to what type of woman you think will be right for Joachim after Alexandra?

Last edited:
I agree with that what was said somewhere - the prince's new girlfriend looks more like Mary than Alexandra. Does she or she doesn't seem right for Joachim after Alexandra - I don't know. But Marie is a woman which Joachim choose for his girl friend.

Oh well, since Joachim just broke up with Marie, we'll all have to put our heads together and figure out who the next girlfriend looks like!:D

Just a reminder that this thread is about Mary and Alexandra... it's not about Joachim nor about Joachim's girlfriends. Please let's stay on topic.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Mandy
Danish Moderator

Anyone know about M&A relationships now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom