The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames
May be the queen came up with the idea...what difference would that make?
Because then it's not Mary who's the 'kind of woman' who needs a kur, is it now?

I consider it a good thing with some new initiatives at the court so this new kur is fine with me. Just as I am sure it would have been considered the best invention since toothpaste if the same had been arranged for Alex

Quote:
I doubt she can even remember all the organisations that she's supposed to be supporting and their chair person's name by heart without rehersing.
I would assume that all royals do some sort of rehearsing before this type of event.

Quote:
.. and this is something that Alex understands and can do flawlessly.
Ohh, yes you could say her many years of practice is paying off now.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane

Because then it's not Mary who's the 'kind of woman' who needs a kur, is it now?
I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing here...
so how does it make any difference who's orginial idea it was for Mary to hold her own Kur? Why does it matter to you so much that this was not Mary's idea?

May be who ever it was that suggested it felt Mary 'needed' to hold one not only to recongise the charities she's supposed to be supporting but also to show the world that Mary is 'grateful' to be working for them.

Publicity for all parties involved.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
As far as I am concerned, Mary has been representing the charities for 2 years tops? And she/whoever at the court feels the need to host a party to celebrate this accomplishment its over the top to me.

If Mary hosts her own Kur after representing the charities for 5/10 years, then yes a party would be well deserved and appropriate.

I doubt she can even remember all the organisations that she's supposed to be supporting and their chair person's name by heart without rehersing.

Anyone can turn up at a function all dressed up and make small talk without putting in too much effort. But the REAL work of supporting charities and their objectives lies in doing field work and seeing the real challenges for yourself, and this is something that Alex understands and can do flawlessly.
The quote above is from melissajames from the previous thread. Just a couple of points I want to make. Firstly, Alexandra holds something similar - I think fans of Alexandra would be more capable than me of putting links to pictures and links to posts relating to Alex (and Joachim) meeting reps of their various charities, just to say thank you.

Also, although its called a "kur", there were no ballgowns involved at all. Indeed, its really very similar to Alexandra's "kur" (although its not called that for Alex). perhaps the only difference is the date, and no pictures of Mary' kur was released directly to the press. Posters from CPMMB have unearthed a Billed Bladet article saying this (that only a court photographer was present, that the pictures aren't released directly to the press, but instead are given to the patronages - perhaps so they can post it up on their website. Good idea - it will mean that people will visit the various websites, thereby increasing awareness of the various patronages.

I also do not agree that one has to wait 5 to 10 years to say thank you. I'm perhaps a little impatient, but even a year is too long a wait! Seriously though, I think mary understands that this is not only a chance for her to acknowledge the charities who have accepted her as patron, but is also an excellent opportunity to bring attention to the various causes (as indicated by the decision to release the photos to the charities only and not directly to the press - now that's a very smart move!).

In regards to Mary not being able to remember the names of her patronages. Well, I think that's just a baseless comment, especially as many of her charities have already said that Mary has made great contributions (even if we're not always aware of them). For example, there was no official media release but the founder of the Allanah and Madeleine Foundation here in Australia decided to speak to a women's magazine here in Australia, just to thank the CPss for the support she's given. He also indicated that the CPss was the reason why anti-bullying programs which is being introduced into Austalian schools will also be introduce in Denmark. Just things that that, we would not have known if someone hadn't spoken up about it. Now things like that are real and practical contributions - and goes way beyond appearing at functions and visiting people and places (which are also very good because it boosts morale and brings attention to the various causes).

I suppose Mary hasn't made many overseas trips for her charities - she hasn't visited India or Africa etc. Does she need to if a former member of the DRF is already doing a good job at it? I think not (just as a small aside as well - in some ways, visiting other countries is the same as attending a function - no direct practical work involved, no digging etc, but is a perfect opportunity to bring attention to the case merely by being there). Also, can one deny the fact that she can do just as good a job if she stays in Denmark - especially for the Danish based charities?

Furthermore, she has a young baby and I think its important that she stays with him (and Fred).
Old 01-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Danish tabloid daily BT servey that princess Alexnadra is better then crown princess Mary Copenhagen Denmark Jan.8,2006

from newscom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showcasepix631648.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	223316  
Old 01-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia
Danish tabloid daily BT servey that princess Alexnadra is better then crown princess Mary Copenhagen Denmark Jan.8,2006

from newscom
Thank you for posting. :p

Do you know what the story is about? Please do tell. :)
Old 01-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well no dah shes better she does so much more work. Not saying that Mary is bad but it is pretty hard to beat Princess Alex. Alexandra has set the bar pretty high.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Courtier

Also note that this is the tabloid that said Alexandra was adulterous and cheated on Joachim.

I don't think this magazine really cares for the people it features. It always contadicts itself and relies on negativity (in this instance, saying one is better than the other) to sell its magazines.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia

from newscom

Again, another silly useless poll.

Both women are unique in their own way, and both woman contribute so much to their respective charities, the DRF, and to the people of Denmark. This ongoing pettiness of comparing the two is becoming quite old and frankly laughable. I'm sure Mary and Alexandra are having a good laugh as much as I am about who is better or more popular than the other.

:)
Old 01-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

what were the criteria of their choice?
Old 01-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Yes, isn't this just MARVELOUS?

I'm sooo glad that there are folks out there who would agree with us Alexandra fans that this is a woman who only got more interesting AFTER her divorce: recognition that this is a person who's thriving in the face of adversity.

Also just fab to see that life can and does get better after age 40! And that one doesn't have to be 16 (Peaches Geldof, Sir Bob's daughter, who's also on the list) to be considered 'interesting' and a 'person to watch'.

Plus, to be totally honest, I can't help but be glad that Alex is giving all these crown princesses a run for their money (yes including that self-entitled-seeming sister in law of hers)

Bottom line: You go, Alex!

One off-topic P.S. though: I'd venture to say that the other princess worth watching would in my opinion be Maxima, considering her hard work last year despite having another child, and her subsequent considerable achievements. But again, that's something for another thread.
Just a question, but has anyone reviewed what exactly Aledxandra did in the first few years of her marriage? It would be believable that she also took up the time to build her public schedule and initiate herseld into the various charities and organizations she heads/patronizes, would it not?

Mary can certainly not, in my opinion, equal Alexandras acheivements of many years in the 2 years that she has behind her already. It takes time. Furthermore, it would also be believable to think that Alexandras first few years were dedicated not only to the above, but to also producing a family.

Perhaps we should keep in mind that Alexandra has produced her family, while Mary is still working on this, and that Alexandra has many years that she has used to build her relationships with various organizations. It would be unfair and totally unrealistic to think that anyone could match those accomplishments in such a short time. Perhaps giving Mary the time to do so, and in her own manner would be the fairer thing to do?
Old 01-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
Just a question, but has anyone reviewed what exactly Aledxandra did in the first few years of her marriage? It would be believable that she also took up the time to build her public schedule and initiate herseld into the various charities and organizations she heads/patronizes, would it not?

Mary can certainly not, in my opinion, equal Alexandras acheivements of many years in the 2 years that she has behind her already. It takes time. Furthermore, it would also be believable to think that Alexandras first few years were dedicated not only to the above, but to also producing a family.

Perhaps we should keep in mind that Alexandra has produced her family, while Mary is still working on this, and that Alexandra has many years that she has used to build her relationships with various organizations. It would be unfair and totally unrealistic to think that anyone could match those accomplishments in such a short time. Perhaps giving Mary the time to do so, and in her own manner would be the fairer thing to do?
The official line is that Alex had waited to have children because she wanted to make sure that she was well settled in first, which makes a lot of sense to me as I would not personally have a child if I have to move to a country where I am unfamiliar with the language, culture and politics.

I think your comments are very fair. Alex is my favourite but I have to say she did enjoy some advantages over Mary.

Her royal wedding was the first in Denmark for many years, naturally people are very excited by it. She came from a far east country and a mixed and cosmoplitan background which some may find fascilating.

I would also argue that there are now more channels in which we can discuss royalty than say in 1995 when Alex got married, hence there were less opportunities for people to voice their dislike/disapproval of her. The core press would of course say nice things about her therefore most of the news that people might have heard 10 years ago about Alex was probably mostly positive.

MJ :)
Old 01-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

neither can I and I really want to see them.

were these taken before or after the separation was anounced?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Her royal wedding was the first in Denmark for many years, naturally people are very excited by it. She came from a far east country and a mixed and cosmoplitan background which some may find fascilating.
Alexandra actually faced some racisim because of her heritage and background. Even though weddings are always exciting, Alexandra was not so completely and warmly welcomed by the Danish people because she would be marrying into the royal family.

Even though Alexandra is greatly appreciated and loved by the Danes now, when her engagement to Joachim was first announced, the fact that she would be the first woman of Asian blood to marry into the Danish royal family was a very big deal.

She had it easier than Mary in some respects that she was marrying the second brother and would not have to be queen one day, but facing racist comments and comments about how you're not "good enough" because you are of a mixed/Asian background can't compensate for marrying "only" the second in line to the throne.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Alexandra actually faced some racisim because of her heritage and background. Even though weddings are always exciting, Alexandra was not so completely and warmly welcomed by the Danish people because she would be marrying into the royal family.

Even though Alexandra is greatly appreciated and loved by the Danes now, when her engagement to Joachim was first announced, the fact that she would be the first woman of Asian blood to marry into the Danish royal family was a very big deal.

She had it easier than Mary in some respects that she was marrying the second brother and would not have to be queen one day, but facing racist comments and comments about how you're not "good enough" because you are of a mixed/Asian background can't compensate for marrying "only" the second in line to the throne.
That is quite interesting. I read an old article in Royalty Magazine that called her "a British born Asian lady". I was rather offened by that.

I can totally see your point that her 1/4 Chinese blood is a rather theatening issue for some white Europeans. I dare to question whether they would have called her "a British born Austrian lady" if she was only 1/4 Austrian. No - I doubt it. And this just shows how deep discrimination and racism is.

Alex is my favourite and I give her the full credit for taking it all under her stride and proving that she deserves respect and that she should not be judged solely of her mixed background.

BTW, do you think Princess Angela has to face a lot problems too?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I can totally see your point that her 1/4 Chinese blood is a rather theatening issue for some white Europeans. I dare to question whether they would have called her "a British born Austrian lady" if she was only 1/4 Austrian. No - I doubt it. And this just shows how deep discrimination and racism is.

?
well, Claire Coombs is usually referred to as a "british born belgian."
Old 01-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria

Really. I did not see or hear anything about that. I remember that there was only positive comments about her in the media.. Do you have any links that shows the problems you are referring to. I remember people, including myself was very fascinated by her and very impressed by the fact that she learned danish so fast. She was the darling in the media, as I remember it:) I cant imagine that I would have missed it, if it was as you say, "a very big deal" that she was marrying into the royal family. Even the hardcore editor-in-chief of se and hør has called her one of the best in the royal family and an exemplary/ideal princess..
Old 01-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:

BTW, do you think Princess Angela has to face a lot problems too?
As she only spends one day a year in Liechtenstein, I think that she has less problems with it, although I do not know what the attitude of people in NYC is...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
well, Claire Coombs is usually referred to as a "british born belgian."
Just as Mary is referred to as the Danish-born crown princess or Maxima as Argentinian-born.

The issue for me is the added reference that Alexandra is Asian. To identify in which country she was born is no big deal -- it is a fact that is undisputable.

The implication that Alexandra is "a British-born Asian" implies (to me) that:
1) Asians are not commonly born in Britain and that to some extent Asians are an anamoly in Britain, making the fact that Alexandra, someone of Asian descent, a rareity.
2) It's required to identify Alexandra as being of Asian descent from all the other British-born individuals who are not Asian. How often do you hear someone say that someone is British-born but of Canadian/Indian/French/Mexican descent? Nobody says that Claire is a British-born Belgian princess of Scottish descent. (I don't know if that is the case; I am just making it up as an example.)

It can be deemed (and to me is) a subliminal racial comment.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Nobility

I don´t know a lot of the facts about Alexandra so apologies if I´m wrong on some things. To my knowledge, one of her parents is Asian, or part-Asian? And so I think the statement that she is Asian is just stating the obvious (no racial intent)...eg. if a European married into the Japanese RF I´m sure there would be references to their origins, just like there is for Rania...As for the "British-born" part, IMO the British media are always happy to find a way to link Britain to those people who have achieved more than your average joe. For me the comment is not racial...it is an expression of pride...one hears often of the problems of integration of some Asians into a different society..isn´t it nice to hear something positive for a change...someone who has made a huge success of her life? If the British or other press want to make her into a positive role model by emphasising her background, what´s wrong with that?
Old 01-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann
As for the "British-born" part, IMO the British media are always happy to find a way to link Britain to those people who have achieved more than your average joe. ?
I agree. those brits are so self obssesed. they're always looking to claim some succesful person for themselves