Regent Couple & Crown Prince Couple Official Trip to Greenland: June 19-21, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love seeing the Queen and Princess Mary in traditional Greenlandic clothing. I keep looking at the colorful poncho and wondering if it is crocheted or beaded or how it is made? Does anyone know? It's just fantastic!!

:previous:
It is nice to see Mary and Margrethe in tradtional dress. It's unfair that Frederik doesn't wear something as bright as Mary and Margrethe. :flowers:
Good trip so fair. :)

I love seeing the Queen and Princess Mary in traditional Greenlandic clothing. I keep looking at the colorful poncho and wondering if it is crocheted or beaded or how it is made? Does anyone know? It's just fantastic!!

It is not a poncho but a very big collar. It is made from small pearls sewn together into colourful patterns. There is no cloth underneath to hold the collar together - only pearls and thread plus a smaller sealskin-collar on the top. Every collar has its own unike pattern made according to familytraditions which is inherited and not written down anywhere. Earlier the colours for the collar was chosen to show the age of its owner but today this tradition isn't as strictly observed as it used to be.

You can se a close up here:

http://www.ice-berg.dk/nationaldragter.htm

It's unfair that Frederik doesn't wear something as bright as Mary and Margrethe. :flowers:
:)

No, I don't think so. He is wearing the male Greenlandic national costume which I find to be a beautiful and simple - yet elegant - counterpart to the colourful and bright female costume. The male jacket is called an Anorak.

The boots for both men and women are called Kamikker :flowers:. Cute name for boots.

By the way, on photo five in the second line you will se the wife of the Danish Prime Minister wearing the national costume of the Faroe Islands from where she originate:

http://www.ag.gl/galleri/178/Galla/default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I realise that Frederik is wearing a national costume, i just wish it was abit more exciting like Mary or Margrethe's. :flowers:

Thank you for the explanation about the clothing, Lilla! The beaded collars are very beautiful, and it is really amazing that they are only supported by thread, and not fabric. I cannot imagine the amount of hours that went into creating the collars. Is the design worn by the royal family specific to the royal family only? Did it originate from a native Greenlandic royal family, or was it created for the DRF?

Thank you for the explanation about the clothing, Lilla! The beaded collars are very beautiful, and it is really amazing that they are only supported by thread, and not fabric. I cannot imagine the amount of hours that went into creating the collars. Is the design worn by the royal family specific to the royal family only? Did it originate from a native Greenlandic royal family, or was it created for the DRF?

There has never been a native Greenlandic Royal Family :flowers:. The national costumes the members of the Royal Family are wearing has been given to each member as a gift from Greenland over time. As there never are identical costumes those owned by the Royals are unike - but whether there is a special Royal Family pattern I don't know.

CP Mary was given hers on her first trip to Greenland after the wedding. A couple of Greenlandic women came to Copenhagen to take her measurements. After that 15 Greenlandic women spend two month in Nuuk sewing the costume.

Countess Alexandra was also given one when she came to visit Greenland after her wedding to Joachim. It was great to see her wearing hers. She looked exactly like a Greenlandic woman. Unfurturnatly I can't find any photo showing this.

And here is a picture of Margrethe, Benedikte and Anne Marie in their national costumes as children. Unforturnatly the picture is of very bad quality - but it is still nice:

http://www.tidsskriftetgronland.dk/archive/1954-1-Artikel02.pdf

It could be very nice one day, to see Christian and Isabella in the national costumes as well. They would look so cute.

You can read about how the national costume came to look the way it does today on this link (in english): http://www.greenland.com/content/english/tourist/culture/traditional_dress

Doesn't the man dancing with her look ecstatic. Lucky him. :flowers:

It is the chairman of the Greenlandic Landsting, Josef Motzfeldt. And yes he looks as if he is having a great time and so does Mary. It is said that the Scandinavians, including the Danes, are very laid back - but it is nothing compaired with the Greenlanders :flowers:

I think that the photos are very cute! He looks like a charming man, and Mary looks like she is having a great time.

It is the chairman of the Greenlandic Landsting, Josef Motzfeldt. And yes he looks as if he is having a great time and so does Mary. It is said that the Scandinavians, including the Danes, are very laid back - but it is nothing compaired with the Greenlanders :flowers:

Ahh thank you for the information. Hmm the danes do seem quite relaxed even the royal family is relaxed in every asepct of there lifes. It seems like a wonderful way of living. :flowers:

Great photos, thanks.

I love the photos of Mary dancing, she looks wonderful.
Both are thoroughly enjoying themselves, Josef Motzfeldt appears to be quite a charmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom