The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Courtier

Perhaps someone stood in for CP Mary as proxy for the baptism, especially since she probably had some travel restrictions.

That is one cute baby! Mom seems happy as a clam in those pictures.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Thanks. Yes it was said after his birth that the zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg-Johannsmann would be the surname. He can get no title as we don't have titles anymore but it's possible to combine the name of both parents for the child which this would have been. Bu it's much too long.
Isn't there also a restricition on how long a surname can be?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
I couldn't find the law itself, but this is a forum for English-speaking expats living in Germany, and there seems to be a limit on hyphenation of last names.

Giving your children two surnames - Germany

Quoting from within that thread:

:::
Anyway, here is the German law:

:::

1. Wenn beide Elternteile zum Zeitpunkt der Geburt des Kindes einen gemeinsamen Ehenamen führen, erhält ihr gemeinsames Kind diesen als Nachnamen.

1. You are married and share a common married last name, kid gets this last name.

2. Wenn die Eltern zum Zeitpunkt der Geburt keinen gemeinsamen Ehenamen führen, ihnen aber die elterliche Sorge gemeinsam zusteht, müssen sie gemeinschaftlich entscheiden, ob das Kind den Familiennamen der Mutter oder den des Vaters erhalten soll.
Können sich die Eltern nicht einigen, überträgt das Familiengericht die Entscheidung einem der beiden Elternteile. Die Bildung eines Doppelnamens als Kombination der Familiennamen beider Elternteile ist nicht zulässig.

2. No common married last name but both in custody of the child -> you have to decide which last name the kid gets. If you can't decide the court decides which parent gets to choose the name. You may not create a double name!

3. Etwas anderes gilt, wenn ein Elternteil das alleinige elterliche Sorgerecht innehat. Dann erhält das Kind den Familiennamen des sorgeberechtigten Elternteils. Die Eltern können sich aber auch auf den Familiennamen des nicht sorgeberechtigten Elternteils verständigen.

3. Not married, sole custody -> parent in custody chooses the name, and it may be the non-custody parent's name!

4. Kommt es später zur Begründung des gemeinsamen Sorgerechts für das Kind, so können die Eltern den Familiennamen des Kindes neu bestimmen. In diesem Fall müssen die Eltern zwischen dem von der Mutter und dem vom Vater zu diesem Zeitpunkt geführten Namen wählen.

4. If common custody is later decided on the parents can choose a new name but have to decide if it should be the mother's or father's current (not former common married!) name.

So, the last name has to be one or the other. Yeah, choose a last name and give the kid the other as a middle name.

:::::

Looking further into that thread, it would appear that if Princess Nathalie could provide documentation that a long surname is accepted practice in Denmark (where she is a citizen,) then the longer surname will be allowable.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Don't know but look for example at Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger or some of the nobles who also have pretty long surnames like Prince zu Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Schillingsfürst, von Ratibor und Corvey i believe not.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Serene Highness

Stefan, I don't mean the number of letters, but the number of hyphens that are allowed IIRC Rebecca Simoneit-Barum wanted to add the name of her husband to her name, and that was not allowed to change her name to Siemoneit-Barum-Bauer
Old 01-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Stefan, I don't mean the number of letters, but the number of hyphens that are allowed IIRC Rebecca Simoneit-Barum wanted to add the name of her husband to her name, and that was not allowed to change her name to Siemoneit-Barum-Bauer
Yes, if you read the links provided in my prior post, you will see that it's the hyphen(s) that cause/s agita.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

A note in Billed Bladet #02, 2011.

Informs us that Mary indeed was godmother to the little Konstantin, even though she wasn't physcially present.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Royal Highness

I am desperate for the date of the religious wedding. I think last year it was said to be in spring, so shouldn't they soon announce the date?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I am desperate for the date of the religious wedding. I think last year it was said to be in spring, so shouldn't they soon announce the date?
Yes i also hope that i will soon be known. It was said in early Summer or Spring but in a warmer time of the year.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Yes i also hope that i will soon be known. It was said in early Summer or Spring but in a warmer time of the year.
I have to admit that I can hardly await to see the Khedive of Egypt tiara worn by a happy bride once again. It makes perfectly sense to wait for the warmer time of the year. But the longer they wait to announce the date, the more I fear that they are planning a small, down-to-earth, initmate, financial-crisis-aware, close-friends-and-family-only wedding. I would really like to see some grandeur at a German wedding once again. But this might not fit the tastes of bride and groom.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I have to admit that I can hardly await to see the Khedive of Egypt tiara worn by a happy bride once again. It makes perfectly sense to wait for the warmer time of the year. But the longer they wait to announce the date, the more I fear that they are planning a small, down-to-earth, initmate, financial-crisis-aware, close-friends-and-family-only wedding. I would really like to see some grandeur at a German wedding once again. But this might not fit the tastes of bride and groom.
I think so too but as far as i remeber Prince Richard said last year that they where planning a big Wedding with all relatives.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think so too but as far as i remeber Prince Richard said last year that they where planning a big Wedding with all relatives.
That is good to hear! He should throw a jolly good party for his daughter!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

I hope for a big wedding too. The christening was small and intimate ceremony (I only saw 1 photo in BB) so I can't wait to see P Nathalie as a bride.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Gentry

Agami .. I'd love to see that pic on BB .. could you post it please?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Nathalie and Alexander following their civil wedding ceremony.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
They are civil married, which is according to the law in Germany. The religious Wedding will take place in May or June next year. As for the names both have keept their names after the marriage. And for the names of chidlren there are many options here and they apparently choose to combine the name of both parents.
As far as I know this is the also the norm in the Netherlands! First the civil, the legally binding act at one location, and then the optional church ceremony! This two-step procedure is unknown in many countries, where the legal formalities are dealt with in connection with the church wedding.
Considering the time span in between the civil ceremony and the church ceremony we'd call it a 'blessing ceremony' in Denmark! Anyway, it's not a wedding as such since Nathalie and Alexander are legally married and arrive at the church as husband and wife. IMO the question is whether the couple will go for a 'big white' arrangement or a more subdued ceremony. In a way I'm sorry that the festivities won't be taking place in Denmark, Princess Nathalie is a Danish citizen and she has done Denmark proud at the Olympics.

Viv
Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
As far as I know this is the also the norm in the Netherlands! First the civil, the legally binding act at one location, and then the optional church ceremony! This two-step procedure is unknown in many countries, where the legal formalities are dealt with in connection with the church wedding.
Considering the time span in between the civil ceremony and the church ceremony we'd call it a 'blessing ceremony' in Denmark! Anyway, it's not a wedding as such since Nathalie and Alexander are legally married and arrive at the church as husband and wife. IMO the question is whether the couple will go for a 'big white' arrangement or a more subdued ceremony. In a way I'm sorry that the festivities won't be taking place in Denmark, Princess Nathalie is a Danish citizen and she has done Denmark proud at the Olympics.

Viv
I agree with you, Viv, it would be nice if the "blessing ceremony" took place in Denmark
Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Courtier

Muhler, are Margrethe and Henrik coming to the US this summer? Do you know where? I would LOVE for it to be somewhere near me!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
Muhler, are Margrethe and Henrik coming to the US this summer? Do you know where? I would LOVE for it to be somewhere near me!
Yes, in the first half of June. I don't know more as yet.

But Washington should be a safe bet.

As this is an official visit and as QMII is head of state, she is bound by diplomatic protocol to at least drop by and say hi to the US President.

Follow up on Maura724's question:

QMII have often visited the Danish decendants living in the north central USA, I wonder if they won't do that again.
So up the river from where you live, Maura724 and you are there. Almost...
Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Courtier

Thanks, Muhler!

Washington is definitely too far to go just to see them, although I would love to see them in person - it's a 2 1/2 hour flight. I'm going to Washington for a week in the middle of May to visit a friend, naturally not while they might be there. Oh well.

Most of Iowa would be any easy enough drive in a day, as would northern Illinois and some of southern Wisconsin...outside of that it's too far.

Tags
princess nathalie zu sayn-wittgenstein-berleburg