Princess Elisabeth, Current Events Part 1: April 2004 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why the State of Denmark, however I do admire its generosity, now gives the usufuct of Sorgenfri to Princess Elisabeth while she had her own independent living and housing? I mean, Sorgenfri becomes empty and suddenly Princess Elisabeth, almost 80, sells her properties and move into that castle. Who made that decision? The Danish Government? The Queen? I can imagine that it would have been a great residence for Prince Joachim, to name someone...

Why wouldn't she live in the Palace? She is a prinsesse til Danmark, thus a full member of the Royal House and a successor to the throne, though last in line. She has some rights to live there IMO.

She had a career and receives a pension she earned but apparently, this was not enough to cover still-growing expenses of maintaining a pretty large house just for her own. I wonder why she lived alone in that big house so long since 1997 when she was "widowed" by her longtime partner and companion, Claus Hermansen.

Additionally, she is in an advanced age and has some serious health issues, so it will be safer, much convenient and suitable for her now to live in a state place.

And what's the most important factor in this situation, Elisabeth's move into Sorgenfri became possible just recently, after the apartment was emptied by the death of her sister-in law last year in January. I doubt it would ever happen otherwise, as the state would not agree on any significant extra expenses for setting up an another suitable apartment somewhere else for her.

Anyway, she must be very happy to come back to her family home at the end of her life.

Summary of an interview with Princess Elisabeth to BB on the occasion of her upcoming birthday.
Interviewer: Anna Johannesen.

In the typical style of that branch of the family, the interview is pretty frank and very honest!

Tomorrow 8th May, when Princess Elisabeth turns 80 the Regent Couple have invited her to Fredensborg:
"I was told already at the the New Year Table at Amalienborg on the 1st January, where Henri pulled me aside and said that he and Daisy would like to see me on my birthday. That made me very glad. The invitation also extends to six persons who I could invite along myself". She goes on to name the persons she will bring with her. One being her brother Count Ingolf.

On the 1st June she will move her address to Sorgenfri, her childhood home.
Q: Are you (informal you) looking forward?
E: "Since I could no longer afford to live here, I'm delighted that the Queen has allowed me to live in Damebygningen (an annex to the manor and where her parents lived), because then it remains in the family. But I can become a little concerned whether I might feel a little isolated. After the many years here in Holte (posh part of Copenhagen), where there is a lively traffic outside on the road, it will be a major change to live behind high hedges at Sorgenfri". She goes on to hope that her nieces and nephews will come and visit her.

Elisabeth has never wanted chidlren: "No, certainly not. Little screaming kids have never been a desire".

The title of Her Highness doesn't mean that much to her and it's basically only used on official occasions. Apart from the family and her circle of friends she is on formal you with practically everybody else.

Asked about who among her three cousins she is closest with, she responds: "Equally close. - Now, we have never been particularly close in our family, but apart from that it's probably Daisy and Benedikte. Anne-Marie was so much younger, but I do like her tremendously".

She had a strict upbringing: "I was the oldest, the gal in the house as it somewhat condescending was called, so I was put down somewhat. Dad was strict and while Ingolf could get one (spanked) with the ruler, I got one in the backside with a bamboo-cane called Master Erik. But only once.
I have also only once, at age thirteen, been slapped in the face by dad. I won't say why but when I told dad that I in religion (at school) had been told that if someone hits you turn the other cheek, I got one more on the spot!
For many years I was afraid of dad, but on a trip in 1969 something happened between us. Not that we talked a lot. Something just happened, that meant that we in one way or another became closer. A bit late you might say. I was 34 at the time".

After leaving school Elisabeth went to a finishing school in Switzerland and even though she had a dream about becoming a maritime biologist, she ended up in the Foreign Ministry. Probably better that way, because books have never been her particular interest.
Nowadays the TV is on 24/7. her favorite channel being Animal Planet when she isn't watching TV2 Charlie (aimed at viewers age 45+).
She was employed at the Foreign Ministry, sometimes being stationed at embassies, for 45 years and even though she has nothing bad to say about her job: "The last day in the ministry was just as big for me as the day I left school. I hated going to school. It isn't fun being bullied".

She lived with the film photographer, Claus Hermansen, for more than twenty years, until his death in 1997. They never got marries: "I can't stand being alone, to say it as it is, but that's how my life has turned out. It couldn't be any other way". (The article suggest evasiveness by pointing out that she looks to the side).

Q: You (informal you) were very fond of Claus. Why didn't you marry?
E: "Then I'd become Mrs. Hermansen and that we both thought was a bit silly considering that we were not to have any children. That was a decision we both agreed on".

Q: How often do you see Ingolf?
E: "We phone often, but it's far to Egeland (manor, located in Jutland), where he and Sussie lives. I haven't been there since the day Princess Diana died, but they do visit me here, when they are in Copenhagen".

Elisabeth believes she's had a good life, but she is getting 80 and eats six tablets a day and she is a bit apprehensive about moving, she has after lived in her current home for 33 years.

For some reason she is moved by military music, but apart from that she prefers listening to jazz.

Q: You (informal you) have lost your parents your younger brother, Claus Hermansen and many of your friends. How do you deal with grief?
E: "I can't answer that, but right now I'm very upset about my god-daughter and Christian and Anne Dorte's twin-girl is to be divorced. That I think is so sad. It leads to so much bad".

Q: How are you about death. Is that something you think about?
E: "Probably more on what comes after, but about that no one knows.
But I know that I am NOT to lie in Roskilde, but next to Claus at the cemetery in Sorgenfri.
And then by the way I think I should have a look at my will one more time, before closing my eyes".

Princess Elisabeth can easily understand PH in regards to the title issue and his wish about being king and equal to QMII. It was pretty much the same thing with her (*) spouse Claus Hermansen: "Claus was a film photographer, so once in a while it could annoy him terribly only to be mention as my companion. That is something we had a lot of discussions about".

(*) Help English speakers. What is the most correct word for someone living together, but not being married? I.e. a polite word fitting someone of her generation and position.

Last edited:
:previous: Companion maybe?

Thank you for posting and translating the article :flowers:
How lovely that QMII and Prince Henrik have invited her to Fredensborg for her birthday.

:previous:thank you Muhler
Such an interesting and frank interview. '
She kinda has a "progressive" way of thinking for someone from her generation, actively choosing not to have kids and staying unmarried.
at least for me.

For the spouse question I guess you can say her partner, but im not sure. Boyfriend/girlfriend would not be correct for someone older than their 20s

In Spanish, my grandma calls unmarried men living with women. Mari-novios (not a real word)...Marido= husband, Novio=boyfriend :D

Such a fascinating interview - I think Princess Elisabeth is an interesting person, she has formed very set opinions and views and is very open and honest with her answers. I do feel a little bad for her as it seems she is worried about moving house and the fact that she is alone. Where she lives now, there is a busier road, so the traffic noise kind of makes you feel the world is close by. It seems her new home will be quieter and more isolating.

I think the word "companion" is a good way to describe Claus Hermansen - is it perhaps a more refined way of saying partner or boyfriends, and fitting for a princess!

Last edited:
Here in Australia a lot of people say "Partner". As in - Princess Elizabeth and her Partner.

A Very Happy Birthday to Her Royal Highness for her 80 th milestone birthday. I hope Her Royal Highness has a lovely celebration.
:flowers::clap::daneflag::royalrobes:

Last edited:
Here in Australia a lot of people say "Partner". As in - Princess Elizabeth and her Partner.

A Very Happy Birthday to Her Royal Highness for her 80 th milestone birthday. I hope Her Royal Highness has a lovely celebration.
:flowers::clap::daneflag::royalrobes:
Technically speaking, it's de facto, but more commonly it's partner.
Sounds like she had an unhappy childhood...perhaps that's the reason she didn't want children.

Happy birthday Her Highness

Technically speaking, it's de facto, but more commonly it's partner.
Sounds like she had an unhappy childhood...perhaps that's the reason she didn't want children.

Happy birthday Her Highness

Never heard about her having a unhappy childhood before but strict fathers was a bit of a norm back then weren't they?

Apparently losing the right to the throne for himself and his sons affected her father very much. Maybe that had something to do with his behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #20, 2015.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

Princess Elisabeth was celebrated by the Regent Couple at Fredensborg on her 80th birthday.
Present were fourteen friends and family. Elisabeth herself, a few of her friends, Count Ingolf with his Sussie a well as Joachim and our Marie.

Elisabeth explains: "I had also invited the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess but unfortunately they couldn't attend".

About the party she said: "I had looked very much forward and it became a fantastically cozy evening".
She was picked from home by a crown car (the term for the official DRF-cars) and driven to Fredensborg: "Yes, everthing had been taken care of".

The guests arrived at 20.00 and before sitting down at the table a champagne cocktail was served: "It tasted utterly wonderful. It was the Prince Consort himself who had put together the ingredients".

Sitting between PH and Joachim, Elisabeth was served fish, wild board and a French cake with 80 candles: "That's how we have always done in our family.
It took a lot of air, but after a couple of tries I succeeded" (in blowing out the candles).

After dinner coffee was served in the garden room and there was a lot of chatting, but the upcoming move to Sorgenfri was not among the topics.

QMII gave her cousin a set of table napkins and a tray with a decoupage.
PH gave her a book with some of his poems.
Marie and Joachim gave her a pashmina-scarf (whatever that is)
Count Ingolf and wife gave her a blanket.
So Elisabeth summed up: "Definitely. It was a really lovely and cozy evening that I looked very much forward to".

The next day she celebrated more privately with a number of friends and family on her side at a Chinese restaurant. There were 57 guests present, among the one of her nieces, Josephine of Rosenborg who has recently divorced. But that doesn't mean Elisabeth will no longer see the ex-husband,Thomas Schmidt: "I wouldn't dream of that. Thomas do me so many favors. I'm very fond of him". (In the recent interview she expressed how upset she was about the divorce).
About the dinner she said: "I had asked for no speeches, but Ingolf who was my table partner, would nevertheless like to say how nice it was that I'm no returning to Sorgenfri and how delighted he is to see how well I am. That was a sweet speech that ended with a big congratulations".

Thank you for the info Muhler. Perhaps a female relative of yours could give you a book on fashion terms/meanings. So you will know what a pashmina is for instance. ;) I very much enjoyed the gallery of photos of the Princess. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
:previous: You are welcome. :)

I did in fact ask my daughter and got a fifteen minute lecture, including quite a few reminders for her fourteenth birthday!
Mrs. Muhler also smelled birthday presents!

Please moderators, can we add something like this to our arsenal of emoticons? It's needed! http://www.oneyearbibleimages.com/money.gif

Thank you, Muhler, for the article. It's very nice to read about how the main branch of the DRF foster their not-so-close relations with Knud's children. I find it odd that despite they are really closely-related (first cousins from the late King's only brother), they do not seem to be in very familial relations. Yes, I remember about the difficulties between the two Royal brothers Frederik and Knud...

You are welcome. :)

Indeed, it is something that is difficult certainly for me to understand, but even though they are close geographically the members of the DRF don't seem to see each other as often as what is normal, certainly in my family.
But it's my impression that they are perfectly happy being together when they actually are together as a family.
They just don't come knocking on each others doors all the time.

Joachim and Frederik certainly don't seem to see each other very often either.
But perhaps that will change with their children? And now that Joachim and our Marie live permanently in Copenhagen? (To be honest I don't think so).
Perhaps while Joachim and co lived at Amalienborg, Athena and bette Henrik often popped over to play with Vincent and Josephine.

Prinsesse Elisabeths hus solgt med nedslag i prisen | Billed Bladet

BB today writes that Princess Elisabeth now has moved from her house in Holte (posh part of Copenhagen) to her new home at Sorgenfri.

Her house was put up for sale in 2013, for 13.9 million DKK. Later reduced to 9.95 million DKK and finally sold at a price offered in February for 8.5 million DKK.

It is still sold with a decent surplus though. The house was bought in 1980 for 1.8 million DKK, so allowing for inflation, rising prizes and so on, Elisabeth has earned 5.3 million DKK on this sale. That is around 776.000 $ or 710.000 € or 503.000 £.

Last edited:
Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #52, 2015.

Where Princess Elisabeth is interviewed about her childhood Christmas celebrations in her childhood home of Sorgenfri which she moved into this summer.

"Come inside and sorry about the mess with the Christmas cards. I'm busy writing the last ones, and that takes time, because I write a lot".

She is quietly settling in her new home: "There are still quite a few things I don't where is. I also have no idea where the keys to some of the buros are gone, so the rooms upstairs are not ready at all. That'll have to wait, until the weather is lighter (there is more light). It's no rush, I'm after all not going to celebrate Christmas here".

About Christmas in the old days: "Our Christmas tree was standing in a corner of the living room and went all the way up to the ceiling. It was decorated with balls in various colors and candles.
The presents were placed on a table nearby and when we were small they were already opened and sorted in three rows, one for each of us children.
We never danced around the Christmas tree, we didn't do that (in our family), and there was no singing.
Before the Christmas dinner we had all been to church together in Lyngby (Part of Copenhagen) and sung the psalms that were to be song. After the presents we went to bed.
One year I had my own little Christmas tree, which I was allowed to decorate with both flags, glitter and hearts, which there never was on the big Christmas tree (held in the oldest tradition of decorating). I was five and was "helped" by Ingolf who was ten months and sat on a blanket on the floor. Dad helped putting on the star on top of the tree and we were both dressed neatly. Dad in the navy uniform and I in red-checkered dress with the little royal crest in front. That was made when my farfar (paternal grandfather) Christian X in 1940 turned 70. All Danes wore it back then".

The best present ever, was a doll house: "It was fully furnished and I was crazy about it. I played with it constantly".

About her first Christmas calendar: "They were some we cut out ourselves and glued together. Gift-calendars hadn't been invented back then".

The Christmas dinner was pork with red cabbage and glaced potatoes. Later on duck. But never Rice porridge (as the rest of the DRF): "No, and phew. We had risalamande (a kind of rice-porridge with whipped cream) and the almond present every year was a marcipan-pig".

After the death of Christian X, the family moved into the main building at Sorgenfri, but they never celebrated Christmas with Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid: "No. We have never been together at Christmas. They were usually in Trend".

When her parents died and she became a working adult, she celebrated Christmas in Geneva or Washington (she worked in the Foreign Ministry): One year Ingolf and Inge (his first wife) send me a little Christmas tree to me in USA. It was wrapped neatly in a pipe and stood looking nice all the Christmas days".

Later on she celebrated Christmas in her home, where she lived with her sweetheart, Claus Hermansen: "After I became alone I celebrated for a couple of years with our old cook, Ingrid from Sorgenfri (town). She had become ill and was sitting alone, so I brought the steakes, and then we had a cozy time the two of us.
After the death of Ingrid I've celebrated Christmas with good friends from the Kjæden, which I'm patron of. I'll do that this year as well and that's the sixth time. It's quiet and calm, a child- and present-less Christmas as I call it, where we are some 10-12 people with me as the oldest. That's always cozy".

She is as the interview takes place coming up with presents to her three nieces, Camilla, Josephine and Feodora of Rosenborg and their children. Seven in total: "But we are not spending Christmas together".

New Year will be celebrated with her cousing, Count Ulrik of Rosenborg and his wife. And then there is the DRF New Year gala on the 1st January. "Sooo,... yeah. There is always something to look forward to".

- Well, they don't wear out each others carpets in that family.
https://app.box.com/s/rsir3kf9xltqf1h657ezpq85fdxjvwry
https://app.box.com/s/j9ih7zwd19niehanda41s0rq5p4jw8k0

For a few interviews i've read of Elisabeth now I'm a little surprised how the family (the whole DRF and Elisabeth and her siblings as well) seem to not be that close in some ways. Hard to tell of course, you can be close but not see each other than often but I find it a bit surprising that Elisabeth will be at the New Year Gala (an official event) but that will be alone for Christmas? Surely her brother and his family or the mainline DRF would invite her over?

Maybe she just wants to celebrate with her friends? That's what I'm going to do this year - having dinner with some of my best friends and then later go to a party. It's not that I'm not close to my family I just prefer it that way this Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

That she is going to the New Year Gala is simply because she´s a knight of the Elephant Order :)

IMO then something happened at the time where then Pss Margrethe became the Heir Apparent. Something that is not so easy to heal :(

Prinsesse Elisabeth havde ikke råd til huset - nu sidder hun ensom på et slot: Jeg ser næsten ingen mennesker - Royale | www.bt.dk

BT has been writing a bit about Princess Elisabeth recently, mainly based on interviews elsewhere.
To summarize: She has not yet settled in at Sorgenfri. It takes time to hang up that paintings and so on.
She feels a bit lonely and out of place, because Sorgenfri isn't around the corner of you don't have a car. Presumably most of her friends don't live around the corner and perhaps no longer able to drive themselves. Elisabeth still has a car though.

It's no secret she couldn't afford living in the villa she lived in before and had to sell at considerably below what she wanted to sell for initially.

Her brother, Count Ingolf, who lives in Jutland, has said she is not to celebrate New Year and Christmas with him. (He has always had a good relationship with the rest of the DRF, even though they don't see each other on a daily basis).

And now for a slightly depressing article.
I wonder what you think of this. Compare also with the previous post.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #01, 2018.

As you know Elisabeth moved into her childhood home at Sorgenfri manor, or more correctly, she moved in at the adjacent Ladies Building, because the manor itself is now used for storage, in particular of furnitures.
Right now she only live on the groundfloor.

She says to our reporter: "It's taen some while to settle in, because I was very fond of my house in Holte. (Part of Copenhagen). but it was still a bit like coming home when I moved in here. I've after all grown up here".

She spends most of her time in the living room with the TV.
"It's on all day. I watch all sorts of things on TV. Nature, entertainment and series. That however means I never get around to reading a book.
I rarely come in the rooms upstairs, because I have a bit of a problem going up the stairs".

Her nieces Camilla and Josephine helps her with shopping and practical matters.
"The girls are very sweet and drop by regularly and so does their little sister Feodora. Their children are also a good help, but they have their school to attend, so I don't see them quite so often".

It helps that she, at the age of 82, has just had her drivers license renewed. So she can get around on her own.

But she spends a lot of time on her own.
"It's not easy at all to grow old. To me the worst isn't that the health is failing. The worst is the loss of my dear ones and those many friends who are no more. When my best friend, Jane, died I thought I would never recover from it and even thought it's now been more than two years, I still think of her every day.
I also miss my younger brother, Christian, and his lovely wife, Anne Dorte. We had a good relationship, so it's a big loss.
Sometimes I can also feel sidelined, when I sit here in the corner of my couch. Then it can be difficult to remain cheerful".

She seems a very sad and lonely lady with hardly anyone around anymore. Is she living in a good clean safe place that can be made into her home if someone would help her set it up so that she feels more like it is her home? A home is something that is very important for those of us that are at this stage in our lives. Any why does her family not take more of an interest in her life? You can not expect young nieces to take care of her all the time....being a senior lady I understand that the world passes us by with little thought or care for it seems we have lived out our use fullness to the younger generation........yet how quickly the younger generation forgets that we have the knowledge and intelligence to help them learn. I wish her well and hopefully things will get better for her...?

I think the article shows that Princess Elisabeth is having the same issues as seniors the world over. If you have a good safe place to live, people that care about you, and are able to do for yourself most of the time, that's not so bad. It's good that she can still drive. If I weren't able to drive, my life would drastically change - I would lose much of my independence. Good luck to Princess Elisabeth - may she have good years ahead of her.

My thoughts were the same: it's like this for many older persons. TV has become such an important companion in their lives because they don't get out much anymore. Good to hear her nieces do visit her and help her.

Maybe time for Mary to bring her "Alle har ret til at høre til" slogans into practice?

Thanks for your observations.

Yes, it's sad reading.

I think it's very clear that the core DRF and the Rosenborgs don't have much of a relationship. Perhaps with the exception of Count Ingolf and Joachim.
And the words of the Mary Foundation about including everyone, might be relevant here.
However, it's not my impression Frederik, and as such Mary, consider Elisabeth much more than a distant aunt in an otherwise busy life. I can't see them starting to visit her now.
And if anyone ought to begin it should IMO be QMII and Benedikte.

Well, no family is perfect.
And who knows, perhaps she is not that lonely.
I have after all experienced quite a few times how elderly can sit surrounded by relatives and claim they are lonely, and genuinely mean it.
One's views are after all influenced very much by your state of mind.

Last edited:
That's very true, Muhler. Also, picking up the phone yourself and inviting someone over, if only for a coffee and a chat, can help break your loneliness too.

The Danish RF is like any other family, with lots of members not really having contact with each other unless they have to - only in this family's case there's a need to portray a different image to the outside world. It seems most of us still long for this picture perfect image of "a family", while most of us have divorced parents, estranged siblings, difficult grandparents, irritating inlaws... You pick one you recognize :lol:

That is a lovely photo of her. She looks very good for an 83 year old. I would suggest she join a senior citizens group. They do lots of things and have outings. I imagine you have something similar in Denmark. She needs to get involved in things like a Bridge club (cards) or similar. She could always invite people around for a coffee or something. Being socialable is very important at any age. We have to keep the mind active as well as the body. Pre schoolers would love to see a real live Princess dressed up in a tiara and give a little talk about Kings and Queens. She might get a thrill out of doing that herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom