Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard, Current Events 2: September 2005 - March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #28, 2013.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

As Mary requested no pics were taken of her and the children and not much else is happening, BB dispatched a reporter to Berleburg for the annual Schützenfeiren. (*)
It's actually a couple of thought provoking articles and even though BB as always angle their stories from a neutral/positive angle, Prince Richard doesn't leave the impression of being the easiest man to get along with. Well, at least not in my eyes and I count myself fortunate he isn't my father-in law.

The local shooters guilds had their annual party, with competitions where the winner is declared shooting-king. His wife is at the same time declared a shooting-queen. It all ends with a communal dance, where the lord of the manor, i.e. Berleburg and his wife dance with the new shooting-king and queen.
The ladies are obliged to wear evening gowns, low cut! And the men are in full regalia.

Anyway, the new lord of the manner is now Prince Gustav. Prince Richard don't mind: "But I'm not dancing anymore and my legs aren't to keen on it anyway. Nor have I ever thought it was that much fun". He was instead chatting with some other visiting shooters.
In the dance was Princess Benedikte, while Carina Axelsson looked on. - She is after all only semi official I guess.
It all ends with a party until well after midnight.

Prince Gustav is apparantly an accomplished shot and he had hoped to win the trophy this year, because it was 50 years ago his dad won the competition. He didn't. As he explained: "It's pure luck who is winning. The guns (**) are old and when the barrels get hot they don't shoot straight. So you hardly know if you hit. I shot nice and well, but the guns were almost boiling at the end. There it dawned on me that I had to aim 20 cm lower than what I wanted to hit, unfortunately another shooter also figured that out and he won".

Prince Gustav then quenched his sorrows in beer, 600 litres to be exact. Yeah, okay he shared the beer with 1.857 other guests and after three hours the 600 litres were gone.
Prince Richard remarked: "It was perhaps good that Gustav didn't become shooting-king this year. Or people would have thought it was rigged".

Prince Gustav and Carina had actually just returned from a week sailing in the Adriatic. And that's the summer holiday he is going to get this year, as things are busy at Berleburg.

However BB also spoke to Prince Richard about Princess Alexandra and her husband Count Jefferson. She has just lost her job at the UN, and Count Jefferson lost his job as a bank manager some three years ago and as a result of this, and not being able to find a new job, he has been suffering from depression. - And this is where the article gets interesting! I qoute:

- For a long time that (Jefferson loosing his job and getting depressed) has been a strain on the relationship between Count Jefferson and and his father-in-law Prince Richard and the two of them only saw each other on extremely rare occasions.
"But now things are going better. I'm fine with Jefferson again. He got depressed when his bank went bankrupt, but that wasn't his fault. He did a fine job at the bank", emphasize Prince Richard. - End quote.

Now Alexandra and Jefferson have decided to move to Germany from Paris. To a small town near Mainz to be exact.
Prince Richard explains: "I've bought a house for Alexandra and her family in a small wine-town near Mainz. - It's lovely house and the ground is 11.000 square meters".

Princess Benedikte is pretty pleased: "I certainly think I'm going to see more of her in the future. It's only about two hours drive from Berleburg, so it's be completely different. The children will settle in alright as well. They are fond of being out in the countryside and there are many advantages of not living in a major city".

(*) This Central European phenomenon is I believe not widely known in English speaking countries and it's difficult to translate. I think shooting-guild-party would be the best way to cover it.
Shooting guilds is an old tradition going back to the first handguns. They were a sort social club/masonic guild/militia. Nowadays the function is of course purely social and ceremonial.

(**) You English speakers really need an additional word for gewehr/fusil/gevær = a longbarrelled handgun, that can be either a rifle, shotgun, an airgun or a musket.
As you know it's a big no, no to call a rifle a gun! ;)
For those who do not understand what I mean, here is an educational video explaining the difference between a rifle and a gun: This Is My Rifle. This Is My Gun - YouTube

Last edited:
The saga of what is going on at Berleburg continues this week.

There is a long interview with Benedikte about horses, but as my knowledge and interest in horses is limited I'll skip that one.

But Benedikte was also asked how it was to be on the job in Aachen, for the first time alone with Mary.
Benedikte: "Yes, that was really cosy. She is very fond of horses, so I think she was pleased with having this chance to go to Aachen".

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #29, 2013.
Derfor flytter Nathalie - That's why Nathalie is moving.

As you may recall Princess Nathalie has recently expressed a wish to move from Schloss Berleburg where they live now and into their own house.

Prince Richard is somewhat dissapointed, but her older brother Prince Gustav supports his sister: "I understand my sister would like to move away from the schloss. I think all above the age of 30 ought to have their own home. And I know that all would like their own home.
Nathalie has talked about it before and now the time has come. I know Nathalie would like to live nearby, because she has her horses here at Berleburg, but she want's to live in her own house. And that's understandable".

Prince Richard is perhaps less understanding: "Nathalie says it's because there is no garden, where her son can run around and play. But there is, right on the other side.
I'll buy a house for her. I've looking at one in Berleburg (town) that belongs to a man in financial difficulties and who might sell. I think Nathalie's husband would like to move very far away but Nathalie must stay near her horses",

Last edited:
:previous:thanks Muhler.:flowers:

It seems we have a little bit of a meddling father-in-law in prince Richard :whistling:

:previous:
I think so too...

I begin to understand the very frank interview with Carina Axelsson a couple of years ago.

Not sure that I would welcome Prince Richard as a father in law or would want to be around him very often.

I think so too...

I begin to understand the very frank interview with Carina Axelsson a couple of years ago.

And what did she say in it about Prince Richard?

I think so too...

Prince Richard, IMO, sounded like an abrasive old man in an interview he gave, oh, it must be a few years ago now, and these new interviews do nothing to counteract that view. It doesn't sound like he'd be an easy man to live with, or to deal with as a family member.

It's funny because his children always give the impression of being genuinely nice people.

:previous: That's right, Iceflower.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #40, 2013.
Written by Malan Vincent Joensen.

Each years pupils form schools in Greenland spend a few of weeks or so in Denmark. For most it's the first time they are away from Greenland and just a simple thing like walking through a forest is a completely novel thing for the children.
Some have not even visited the capital of Greenland, Nuuk, a town of 16.000 inhabitants.
And each year Princess Benedikte recieve the children at Amalienborg.

This year 70 sixth graders from schools in the Sermersooq municipallity.
Dressed in their finest most reached for the mobiles the moment Benedikte entered the room.
After greeting each child individually Benedikte gave a short speech, which was translated to Greenlandic: "I have really looked forward to seeing you here this morning. I hope you have had a fine time and that you will think back on those weeks with joy and enthusiasm and that you will have had a really fun time. That the friendship you have made down here will be maintained and that you when you leave will keep in touch with the mates in Gentofte municipality".

Benedikte wore the necklace she was presented with last year. This year the children presented her with a brooch made from the horns of a moskox, which she put on at once. (You can see it her left shoulder).

Then the children were presented with bags of candy and fruits.

The children from Greenland visits Gentofte for 4 weeks.

In 2010 my nephew was so lucky that he had a boy visiting. He didn´t say much and when he did, he did it with his eyes/eyebrows. A simple "yes" is on greenlandic a very long word, so he just lifted his eyebrows, when he meant "yes" :)

In the springtime the danish children are then visiting the greenlandic children, but only for a week.

A nice little story, fasterB. :)

It's been a while.

This was the first time I ever entered Princess Benedikte's thread, and I found this visit thing very touching.. maybe its the way Muhler put it..

A loving event for Benedikte and the children.
Nice that Greenland and Denamrk have this program. :flowers:

During at an event in the town of Køge, south of Copenhagen, BB's Hanne Rask chatted briefly with Princess Alexandra who told us that they have now moved to and settled down in Germany.
She and her family recently lived in Paris, but since her husband got unemployed and suffered a depression, they have moved back to Germany, to a small town near Mainz.

Alexandra says: "It's exiting to have moved back to Germany again. You have to get used to it, because we are going to acquire a new rythm. We have lived in the big city but have now moved out in the countryside, so transport has become longer and we have to drive our children to school.
Fortunately both my husband and my children think it's fantastic, so that's really lovely. My husband and I are selfemployed. He is a financial advisor and I do consultant work".

Count Jefferson was supposed to have accompanied her to Køge, but unfortunately he fell ill.

I am sure She will have money support from her parents.

Is Prince Richard close to his Children ?

I am sure She will have money support from her parents.

Is Prince Richard close to his Children ?

Well, my impression is that he is a very dominant patriarch. I don't think the guy who invented the word "diplomatic" had Prince Richard in mind...

Does Princess Benedikte stay in her German castle or in Denmark? Or is there any specific period of the year during which she performs official duties in Denmark (other than holiday season)? Or she simply keeps shuttling all the time? And is that why the Berleburg Family Castle was taken over and renovated by her son and his girlfriend (Carina claims so..)?

Does Princess Benedikte stay in her German castle or in Denmark? Or is there any specific period of the year during which she performs official duties in Denmark (other than holiday season)? Or she simply keeps shuttling all the time? And is that why the Berleburg Family Castle was taken over and renovated by her son and his girlfriend (Carina claims so..)?

It's my impression that Benedikte stay for up to several months a year in DK altogether. When in DK she lives at her apartment at Amalienborg.

I understand that she very frequently drive from Berleburg to DK. Like so many Germans a few hundred kilometres on the autobahn is no big deal to her. - I guess she from time to time make a pitstop at Schakenborg, even though that's a bit out of the way from the highways.

I don't think Benedikte and Richard's, in my eyes, somewhat peculiar marriage is the reason why Gustav has taken over at Berleburg. But Prince Richard has been very ill from cancer before and he is not getting younger, so it makes sense to letting the next generation take over.
Certainly Carina Axelsson has in interviews more than hinted that Gustav is a more - shall we say - sound businessman in regards to running the estate than his father.

See this interview: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-discussion-part-2-a-23818-7.html#post1186235

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #50, 2013.

As you know Prince Richard underwent suregery at Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen recently.
I don't know the English, let alone the medical term for the condition and the procedure, but it was a growing bulge on the main artery in the lower part of his torso Prince Richard had removed. It was first noticed some ten years ago and has been growing steadily with an increasing chance of bursting.
The procedure went well and Benedikte and Princess Alexandra were close to him before and right after the procedure.
Later on Prince Gustav and Princess Nathalie visited him at the hospital. As I understand the article Prince Richard is right now recovering at Benedikte's apartment at Amalienborg in order to gain sufficient strength to be able to drive back to Berleburg before Christmas.

Prince Richard turns 80 next year.

Last edited:
Summary of note in Billed Bladet #51, 2013.

Prince Richard has now returned to Berleburg after his surgery. It was Prince Gustav who was his chauffeur on the eight-hour drive (autobahn speed) from Amalienborg to Berleburg. Benedikte followed a little later.
The doctor in charge, Ulf Helgstrand, said: “It’s gone by the book. The surgery went well and last Sunday I removed the stitches and Monday Prince Richard could drive home.
I have to check on the patient after six weeks and again after a year, but that’s just to ensure that he is well. Prince Richard need not be scanned again, because the procedure was successful”.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #51, 2013.
Et kongeligt kram – A royal hug.
Written by our senior reporter Henrik Salling.

The Benedikte Home in Fredensborg celebrated its 40th anniversary and on that occasion Benedikte dropped by. Actually it’s twenty years ago, she last visited the place and Benedikte summed it up afterwards: “I leave here with a good mood inside me. Here is so light and friendly. It is always the staff who sets the atmosphere. Why, the one in charge put her/his mark on the home. And that also influence the residents. It’s happy residents I’ve greeted…yes, I actually think I’ve greeted them all”. And she did meet someone she knew from way back. Børge Skov, a former major in the Royal Lifeguard and as a guard’s officer he attended several dinners with Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid. He said: “I was very fond of your mother and father”. Back then Benedikte was a teenager and she had been water-skiing with Børge Skov. Well, actually Benedikte steered the boat while Børge skied. Benedikte said: “I did remember him. I sailed the boat. But actually it was major Skov and other colleagues of his who were water-skiing”. Børge continues: “We were water-skiing and Anne Marie was also to try it, but that didn’t go that well”.
He also observed: “You resemble your mother”. To which Benedikte replied: “I may have heard that once before”.

Some of the residents are of course in various ways getting closer to the final one-room apartment with a lid and some residents have become withdrawn and have problems communicating or even interacting with other, to that purpose the home has Telenoid doll, called Kasper and that helps the staff basically getting through to some residents. Benedikte also tried to hold the robot (*): “How do I pick him up”. And the remotely controlled robot, which resembles a small child, responded to her hug.
Benedikte also met another resident, 101 years old Anna Marie Giss, who insisted on getting up on her feet to greet the Princess. Benedikte said: “101 years! My, that’s a grand age”. To which the venerable lady replied: “Yes, unfortunately. I’ve never wanted to become that old”.

(*) What do you call it in English? Hugge-bot or pet-bot? – Sorry, couldn’t resist… :p But they do work; Mrs. Muhler is familiar with such robots through her work.

-------------

BB also has an interview with Princess Elizabeth, who is getting older and things isn't that well as it used to be. Perhaps another Danish member will cover that interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom