Princess Alexandra to Marry Martin Jørgensen: February 7, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frothy said:
What does the Danish actually say.... that only changes things if the mother never wanted him to have visitation. If she is saying that now Emilie is 12, she has bonded with another, that would not change the allegations linked to in Larzen's post, the tabloid allegations, that Martin refused to pay child support and refused to see his infant daughter.

It wouldn't change anything about his alleged behaviour.

Well I don't read Danish but it looks even when the baby was born the mother's substantial relationship was with this other man who became the father figure and not Martin. Its quite possible that Martin may have had a very transitory encounter with her while she was dating this other man which resulted in the birth of a child and makes what happened next more sensible that it would be otherwise; that is she appeared to build a life with this other man and only when the story about Martin and Alex broke in the paper did the couple find it necessary to tell the child who her real father is.

In that case yes Martin did father a child and absolved himself of responsibility for it which is irresponsible but if he didn't have that strong a relationship with the mother to start with and she had someone else who was willing to take on the child, it makes it more understandable that he did what he did at the age of 16.

No, of course that is quite true, we don't, and we royal watchers know to be wary of the press.

But just b/c the mother Heidi does not want him to see Emilie now after twelve years doesn't mean she didn't want it as a baby. It is "too late" now you would imagine if Emilie has another father figure. Also, he may now be paying support, I would like to know though if the allegations are true that in the early days he refused to.

I am sure he's paying it now, the stepfather of two princes could hardly disobey the law!

As you say Zonk, we may never know. All I say is that IF the published reports cited in the papers were in fact true, THEN in that case he's not good enough for Alexandra!

However a lot of old nonsense can be printed in the tabloids, so any story therein comes with a health warning and a pinch of salt required. As Jane Austen put it about one of her rascally men betrothed to a deserving young woman "I hope he may endeavour to deserve her" :flowers:

Well, as long as we're dealing with a bunch of unknowns here and "if this" and "maybe that," we're getting perilously close to replacing fact with speculation, which we don't need to do.

So having established that there was in fact a previous relationship when he was just a teenager, that there was a child as a result, and that he's the biological father but for whatever reason doesn't have contact with them now, perhaps we could drop this and move on?

Frothy said:
Here is another published report that mentions the daughter of the groom to be

..::: SE og HØR | www.seoghoer.dk :::..

To my mind looking at the way a child is treated is very important when deciding on the parent as a life partner. Hence my lack of enthusaism for the Princess's choice.

Frothy,

We are all entitled to our opinions but I must say you sound as if you have some serious issues with the engagement of PA & Martin.

Unfortunately it is NOT you who will be marrying Martian it is PA and she has made her decision, so despite your disapproval - she will still marry him.

Maybe we should be happy for her as every women & man deserves to be happy - whatever that haapiness may be.

: )

I said to move on, please.

Thank you.

Elspeth

Royal Forums administrator

The news about HH Princess Alexandra’s engagement to Mr. Martin Jørgensen took me by surprise. I personally think that it is very nice when two people in love with one another marry, and contrary to many, I am actually glad that Princess Alexandra is leaving the Danish Royal House. Not because I ever disliked her as a person, or the way she carried out her role as a royal, on the contrary, but since the divorce, Her Highness has been in this rather strange place between being a member of the royal house, but not the royal family. I hope and have no doubts that The Princess will adapt well to her new life as Alexandra Christina, Countess of Frederiksborg (not Mrs. Jørgensen as Ekstra Bladet enjoys calling her now:)!).

I join many of you in congratulating the couple! Whether princess or countess, I will always admire and respect HH Princess Alexandra Christina, Countess of Frederiksborg.

/Lasse

Lasse Pedersen said:
The news about HH Princess Alexandra’s engagement to Mr. Martin Jørgensen took me by surprise. I personally think that it is very nice when two people in love with one another marry, and contrary to many, I am actually glad that Princess Alexandra is leaving the Danish Royal House. Not because I ever disliked her as a person, or the way she carried out her role as a royal, on the contrary, but since the divorce, Her Highness has been in this rather strange place between being a member of the royal house, but not the royal family. I hope and have no doubts that The Princess will adapt well to her new life as Alexandra Christina, Countess of Frederiksborg (not Mrs. Jørgensen as Ekstra Bladet enjoys calling her now:)!).

I join many of you in congratulating the couple! Whether princess or countess, I will always admire and respect HH Princess Alexandra Christina, Countess of Frederiksborg.
/Lasse

Well said, Lasse Pedersen!! If Alexandra is happy and in love, then I'm pleased for her.

Lasse Pedersen said:
I am actually glad that Princess Alexandra is leaving the Danish Royal House. Not because I ever disliked her as a person, or the way she carried out her role as a royal, on the contrary, but since the divorce, Her Highness has been in this rather strange place between being a member of the royal house, but not the royal family. I hope and have no doubts that The Princess will adapt well to her new life as Alexandra Christina, Countess of Frederiksborg

I agree. she's been in an extremely difficult, almost inhumanely difficult position and she's handled it so well. no one could have done it better. but it could not have been easy. i hope she'll be very happy.

I dont really understand some of the negative backlash. I am surprised at the stigma attached to an older woman marrying a younger man. that is really less enlightened than I would have expected here.

obviously such an age gap is not for everyone but i dont think its any different from any of the other factors (personality, spending habits, background etc ) that couples need to consider when they're deciding if they should marry.

I just cant imagine that this is anything other than true love. they could have continued dating. many committed couples in Denmark never marry.there is no social stigma attached to that. but they chose marriage (to Alexandra's considerable financial detriment, under the terms of her divorce ). that suggests to me the depth of the love and commitment between them. :wub:

pollyemma said:
I agree. she's been in an extremely difficult, almost inhumanely difficult position and she's handled it so well. no one could have done it better. but it could not have been easy. i hope she'll be very happy.

I :wub:

I am a big fan of PA. Not sure what you mean by inhumane. She is a divorcee like many others - except she is high profile and part of royal family. She is getting financial support, a house and etc. Don't know what is inhumane about her life. Difficult yes.

I don't think everybody deserves happiness, but I'm sure Alexandra does! Which is exactly why I worry about her choice.

I must agree that it's hardly that tough to go on being the mother of two princes, receive a stipend and a wonderful noble title sua juris. That said with the marriage she becomes subject to tax... she must certainly love him to put up with such a major financial loss.

Also, I think this engagement shows how wisely the Queen handled the divorce. There seems to be no bitterness at all, and Alexandra has status of her own that reflects very well both that she is not the wife or unremarried ex wife of a Prince, yet is not just Mrs. Joe Schmoe and has the respect due to the mother of two princes and a woman that has conducted herself well for Denmark. Alexandra is a great contrast to the unfortunate pictures of Fergie with a riding crop we were treated to yesterday, and the lack of bitterness and ease with which she has moved on surely shows the deft handling of the situation by Queen Margarethe.

I think I saw on the television (Danish TV2) that from her 1.9 Million Kroner yearly allowance she will from now on have to pay 1.3 Million Kroner in taxes. And they said, even with a fairly well-paid husband, it could be difficult for her to keep her current high society level of living. She will have to take on some high profile chairmanship (like the Red Cross or the Refuge Aid) to make both ends meet. (their speculation)

Do they really strip her for that much money just in taxes ??

Anyway, I agree with Lasse, this position is better than the 'phase-out' princess / countess thing.

I'm puzzled that Martin is willing to take on this parenting stuff. I just hope he does it for love, not just because he wants a free ride with professional engagements based on his status, or because he feels guilty for his past and wants to make a mends with these boys.

His parental record so far doesn't exactly impress me.

1.9 Million Kroner ~ 300,000 US$

Last edited:
UserDane said:
Not only her - they strip all of us in this manner!:cool: ;)
I knew Danish taxes were high, but this is like 70% :ohmy:
So every time you earn a Million you only get to keep 300,000 :wacko:

In Sweden they stop the stripping at 55%.

Daneborn said:

In Denmark you pay the higher tax the more you earn!

The lowest rate is 40% for students and poor people. This is what all danes pay as a starting point. If you earn more than the low rate then your tax go up. So if you are really rich you often pay the top-tax around 60% (but then you are also able to subtract a lot of things so in reality you end up paying a lesser sum)...

But YES! - the danish tax is way to high!

:)

she must love him very much,she is giving up quite a lot for him !
hope they both be very happy !

Daneborn said:

It's not just the top-tax they factor in, but the fact that she also have to pay VAT on everything now, as well as pay property tax, and other natural taxes that the rest of us pay. Considering that VAT (Value-Added Tax) is 25% on books, DVDs, etc. in Denmark, it is quite a bit.

Aha. I don't think it stops at 60%, does it?

You think she will have to pay taxes on her house and the soil it stands on? I've heard real estate taxes can be pretty massive too.

I wouldn't be surprised if we even get to see this former highness stamp a coupon card entering a public bus at some point in the future.

no matter what the people posted before me..i like alex and i like her becaus she always seems to do what SHE like..and thats great ..(everyone should act that way

I think if both of them are happy well let them get on with it.

My gran's second husband is 13 years younger than her and they are still married.

Most people wouldn't bat an eyelid if Martin was 13 years older than Alex. It is apparently more acceptable if the man is older than the woman but not the other way around (ie Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and even Michael Douglas whose wives or partners are younger than them).

Although it does help that Alex doesn't really look 13 years older that Martin, she is still fit, healthy, thin and attractive. (Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher seem to be OK):)

Daneborn said:
Aha. I don't think it stops at 60%, does it?

You think she will have to pay taxes on her house and the soil it stands on? I've heard real estate taxes can be pretty massive too.

I wouldn't be surprised if we even get to see this former highness stamp a coupon card entering a public bus at some point in the future.
Estate taxes can really hurt! Especially in the area she lives in now. But then there have been speculations in the media that the DKK 7m+ value of the estate probably have already risen to at least DKK 15m during the steep rise in property value in recent years - so Alexandra may do as all Danes seem to be doing - borrowing against the value of your property;)

Alex must love Martin very much so she would like to sacrifice her financial advantages being a Her Highness.
I hope that Martin also loves her so much.

Heike said:
Alex must love Martin very much so she would like to sacrifice her financial advantages being a Her Highness.
I hope that Martin also loves her so much.

This is a point well taken.

Sophus said:
In Denmark you pay the higher tax the more you earn!

The lowest rate is 40% for students and poor people. This is what all danes pay as a starting point. If you earn more than the low rate then your tax go up. So if you are really rich you often pay the top-tax around 60% (but then you are also able to subtract a lot of things so in reality you end up paying a lesser sum)...

But YES! - the danish tax is way to high!

:)

Really rich??? Thats gotta be the joke of the day. Everyone earning more than 318.700 pays the "top tax"...That 40% of all working Danes....

So naturally that goes for Alex aswelll...

Frothy said:
I don't think everybody deserves happiness, but I'm sure Alexandra does! Which is exactly why I worry about her choice.

Well I won't touch the first part of that statement but I'm sure that Alexandra is a grown woman perfectly capable of taking care of herself.

If she makes the wrong decision with Martin, I'm sure she'll handle it with the same aplomb and self-assurance she handled the breakdown of her relationship with Joachim.

But since you speak of Fergie, I think there is an unspoken assumption that Alexandra wants to hold onto her royal status. I'm not quite sure that she does. If that's the case, I think that even if Martin turns out to be the wrong man for Alexandra for the rest of her life, he may still be just the right man for Alexandra at this time of her life. If by marrying her he is able to make it easy for her to make a break with the royal lifestyle and re-claim her own identity as a non-royal working woman, that may be his greatest contribution that Alexandra needs at the time.

Financially it will hurt but I'm assuming that most people in Denmark get along just fine without the financial advantages that Alexandra has enjoyed as a royal princess and I'm sure she will be able to survive also.

She also has the advantage (if I understand correctly) of not having to work for this money. Its hers whatever she does or doesn't do. So she can go back into the working world and draw a salary that make her income even higher.

Last edited:
40%!!!! And we people complain about the taxes here...

Congratulations to the both of them - I hope they'll be happy together.:flowers:

Ysbel, I agree. There may be something to that - that Martin is a convenient husband for this time in her life. Frankly, women age faster than men and therefore to me a woman being 14 years older is not a recipe for long-term success.

Alexandra has an excellent deal from the Queen - a noble title, a stipend, and the Order of the Elephant which comes with significant perks. Now she moves to a situation where all she has - title, jewels, money - are sua juris, her own right.

I don't think much of Martin's dealings with his daughter, nor do I think the age difference can be glossed over with hope. But it seems that Alex is a determined woman and she moves now to having everything under her own steam. She may also dislike the royal tag. Certainly Prince Edward, for example, did not wish it on his daughter. Not everybody that's "been there", as you say, sees it as universally desireable.

I think I could probably struggle through with it though! ;)

Denmark is a well-functioning country because of these taxes, I could imagine ..

Frothy said:
Ysbel, I agree. There may be something to that - that Martin is a convenient husband for this time in her life. Frankly, women age faster than men and therefore to me a woman being 14 years older is not a recipe for long-term success.

Ah, that's an interesting thought, Frothy. I always thought of men aging faster than women. Guys certainly LOOK older sooner but I guess its because they lose their hair in their 30s and 40s (and sometimes even sooner)

I think an age difference is tough no matter who is younger. My sister married a man 13 years older and she told me people are teasing her husband that she's going to run off with another man anytime soon. It doesn't make things easier for them.

But Alexandra has always preferred younger men, right? Joachin was a few years younger, though not as young as Martin.

I think the only way I'd like a royal title is if I had a decent royal husband to go along with it. I imagine the royals are so isolated even when they mingle with non-royals. Its hard to treat a HRH the same way you'd treat a regular person you meet at a party. If I was going to be that isolated from the regular population, I'd sure want to have a decent and fulfilling relationship with the people who ARE royal to make up for it.

There is a nice little article on Ekstra Bladet where they have met Martin bringing Nikolai to school. He seems like a kind stepdad and he calls Felix for 'skat' - the danish word for 'darling'...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom