The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Well, Mary is pregnant not Fred, so I guess, as Carina is 42, you can hardly compare
Well it takes two to tango.
Carina looks fit and healthy, i'm sure having a child wouldn't do her or the baby any harm.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Serene Highness

Yes, knock on wood :)

Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well Frederik is 42 and he and Mary are having twins.
Men can be fathers even in their 80s, look like charles chaplin, but women it is different story, today you have medicine helping and for what i understand the older lady getting pregnant with her own eggs it was48 so she has some time with fertiliation treatment, but may be it is the case that they do not want or she does not want to go to all the treatment, it is painfull and stressful for what i understand! it cost a lot of money too, but money would not be a problem in this case, for me Carina and gustav it is a sad story1
Old 10-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Here is a question as I not familiar with German law.

I know that Gustav lost the lawsuit to overturn his grandfather's will, correct? If so, did he appeal it?

If Gustav and Carina have a child, then get married...will the child be considered legit...so they could keep everything in the child's name?

Does that make sense?

Old 10-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It makes sense and in the question of the child, I don't think he/she would be considered legit, because one, they were born out of wedlock and two, when they married he would loose everything.
Well I think anyway.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Administrator

The reason that I ask that for certain countries like Monaco, if Albert married Nicole....than Alexandre would be legit.

Is that applicable for Germany? Isn't that the case for Sweden as well? But thats not the case for the US...but then again...illegitimate children can inheirit.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Courtier

Zonk, Jo of Palatine did an excellent post about alternatives available under German law for this situation. Essentially, Gustav can marry his girlfriend in a religious ceremony that does not have civil standing, she can legally change her name to match his and be all Princess-y, and while their children would not be legitimate, Gustav could adopt any children of the relationship.

Why haven't they done this? Well, just as people are musing here that Gustav doesn't marry so that his parents aren't tossed out of their castle, it's based on no knowledge of the will at all except that which is carefully doled out by professional mouthpieces. No one here knows if that will has stipulations that adoptive children have no inheritance rights. No one here knows if Benedikt and Richard get tossed out if Gustav marries against the will.

I'm sorry that it riles people up here, but this story is not some tragedy or melodrama. Looks like they are having a pretty good time trotting from event to event, dressing up and doing as they please. And - to be blunt - what does it matter than it passes to another branch of the family after Gustav steps out of the canoe? I mean really, if they are enjoying life as it is, why is there all this handwringing about the terrible situation in which they find themselves, unable to marry, sob sob. It's not like they are separated by war or poverty...they are living together and living well. When Gustav dies, it's not like the properties and the cash are going to go to support terrorism in the Amazon - it's going to stay in the family.

I really don't get the angst. Frankly,the will is repulsive but that's judging by current standards. This family has enjoyed the benefits of that money, carefully protected under its terms, for quite some time. Let them enjoy what they have, which is significantly more than a good 99% of the world population. But let's not clutch our hankies and swoon over their tragic conundrum. It's a non-starter.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Thank you NaP....I will revisit those pages.

And for the record, I don't particuarly hear Gustav and Carina whining after the lawsuit...but maybe I am late to the party and the only people saying things about poor Carina are those on this board? and others like i of course.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
Men can be fathers even in their 80s, look like charles chaplin, but women it is different story, today you have medicine helping and for what i understand the older lady getting pregnant with her own eggs it was48 so she has some time with fertiliation treatment, but may be it is the case that they do not want or she does not want to go to all the treatment, it is painfull and stressful for what i understand! it cost a lot of money too, but money would not be a problem in this case, for me Carina and gustav it is a sad story1
Not always IVF can help, moreover it has its risks - not all women easily endure the hormonal treatment and some of them are directly contraindicated to undergo it because of medical reasons.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I know that Gustav lost the lawsuit to overturn his grandfather's will, correct? If so, did he appeal it?
Where did you read this? I haven't heard anything about it, it is totally new to me
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Courtier

Carina Axelsson has illustrated an Advent calendar that portrays Berleburg castle for a Swedish magazine.
Vinn Carina Axelssons fina adventskalender! | Åsas kungliga Europa
Old 11-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Where did you read this? I haven't heard anything about it, it is totally new to me
According to NaP, on page 2 of this thread:

The grandfather's will, as Head of the House of Berleberg, applies only to this generation. Only to Gustav. And European courts have found in similar cases where the Head of the House has placed such restrictions, that these restrictions are fully enforceable, since they do not forbid marriage. They are not a human rights violation. All it says is that the wealth moves on.

And I think I have read somewhere else that he didn't win the challenge, but I could have just assumed that he didn't win based on the above.

Does anyone have a true update on the legal challenge?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do not understand she called herself a princess?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I do not understand she called herself a princess?
She did not call herself a Princess.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #51, 2010.
Vild med juletræer - Crazy about Christmas trees.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

Carina Axelsson has been the de facto mistress of Berleburg since 2005 and she is openly treated as such in Billed Bladet.
Annelise Weimann went to Berleburg for an interview and to be shown around the Schloss to see the Christmas decorations there.

She and Prince Gustav live in a large apartment on the top floor and have a number of private rooms on the second floor.
However Carina has also been busy decorating the more official ground and first floor of Schloss Berleburg.

She confides to us: "I love Christmas trees".
And Christmas trees is very much the basis of her decorations. She has the Ice Tree, the Dog Tree, the Soldier Tree and the Golden Tree. She gets the actual decorations from Denmark and Germany. (There are even more trees, not listed here. Good grief)!
- "I mostly but Christmas decorations at Bjarne Als in Bering House of Flowers and at Jette Frölich, I think they are two people who make nice things.

She and Gustav are going to spend Christmas at Berleburg with her parents-in-law. And they will served turkey, that is something Carina is used to from growing up in USA.

Apart from placing Christmas trees all over the place she is also busy supervising the renovation of the schloss room for room.
- "I enjoy find old things and restore them. It really interest me. In many of the rooms the furnitures were stacked three deep and nothing had been touched since WWII. I've found fine old furnitures and paintings and had them mended".

The Dog Tree is decorated with 24 dogs, that Carina found in Bering House of Flowers in Copenhagen

The Ice Tree is decorated with balls in silver and bells in an ice-clear material, that matches the doors and furnitures. (*)

A huge tree in the hall, happens to be Gustav's favourite tree, (**) is decorated with big red bows/loops and red balls and figures of Santa Clauses.

The Golden Tree is placed in the corner of a dining room, which is used when Gustav and Carina have more than twenty guests. That is decorated with gold balls, gold birds and gold butterflies.

The big Soldier Tree is decorated by figures of soldiers equipped with music instruments and gold stars, which belonged to Gustav's grandmother, Fürstin Margareta.

Then we have another big tree, a private one, placed in one of the living rooms on the second floor. It's decorated with gold and silver thingies and white angels and stars. Standing in a light room, it matches the room perfectly. - The caption says...

I guess pictures will eventually surface on the BB site.

(*) This is an example of me translating something I simply don't comprehend. How and why Christmas decorations do or should match something is simply beyond me. So I do what all sensible men eventually learn; leave it to my wife and nod in agreement.

(**) Or maybe he just said it was, because he had to say something...

I wonder if a moderator would be so kind and merge this link with my previous post?

Billed-Bladet - Se de flot pyntede juletræer i Berleburg
Old 12-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I wonder if a moderator would be so kind and merge this link with my previous post?

Billed-Bladet - Se de flot pyntede juletræer i Berleburg

Merry Christmas!

Here is an english link to BIlled-Bladet

Billed-Bladet - Se the beautifully decorated Christmas trees in Berleburg
Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Excerpts from a pretty frank interview in Billed Bladet #1, 2011.
Jeg bliver måske aldrig gift - I may never get married.
Interviewer: Annelise Weimann.

Who went to Berleburg to see Carina Axelsson before Christmas.
About her relationship with the DRF:
"I feel really well recieved by the Danish Royal Family. And I'm fine when I'm with them. It's Gustav's family, he loves them and so do I. I don't think about whether I'm considered a part of the family. I'm Carina Axelsson and that's enough for me".
- "It's the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess we see the most, and Prince Joachim and Princess Marie. We are of similar age. But we see the entire family regularly, both in the summer, when we are at Gråsten and regularly thorugh out the year. But things can change, now that the CP-couple has moved in at Amalienborg. Perhaps we'll see more of the in the future".

She and Prince Gustav have lived together at Schloss Berleburg for five years and they live in the main building, while Prince Richard and Princess Benedikte live in an adjescent building.
Carina Axelsson is busy managing the restoration of the schloss.

Her main interests is books. She has no formal education but desrcibes herself as autodidakt, self-taught.

The locals address her: Mrs./Frau Axelsson. (*)

Q: Do you discuss the work with Prince Gustav?
"I discuss everything with him. It's his estate. It's he who says yes or no to my projects. I have many ideas and he has given me free hands. If the ideas are good, he will back them up 100%. He wish for me to be happy here. But I also like to discuss things with Princess Benedikte so that she knows what I'm doing. I don't necessarily ask her for permission, but I would like her to know what is going os, so that she is not feeling left out".

She and Benedikte don't help eachother in their work. Benedikte live half the year in DK and almost all her work is related to DK.

Carina's next project is to help the school in Berleburg.

Q: How is it to live so close to Prince Richard and Princess Benedikte?
"It has advantages as well as disadvantages. I would not recommend all families to live this close, but that's how it is here".

Q: Do you see the rest of the family much?
"No, not really. Our households are completely apart". Meaning they do not interfere with each others homes/businesses.

Q: Prince Richard in particular is known to be very frank?
"Yes, he's sepcial and sometimes that makes things more difficult. On the other hand it has forced me to be patient and a balance within myself. So the outcome is good. Prince Richard has a strong temper and he is direct. I've not grown up with someone like Prince Richard, so it has taken me a good deal of time to learn to genuinely get to know him. My own father is a kind and gentle man. But Prince Richard is as he is. And Princess Benedikte is a very sweet lady, friendly and very kind".

Prince Gustav haven't taken over completely from Prince Richard. They share the running of Berleburg and the vast estate. Carina adds: "Prince Richard isn't so much involved in the practical work, Prince Gustav is, because he has to. The generation of Prince Richard have spend their money in a completely different way from what you do today, so Prince Gustav's generation has to cut spendings. The old way, simply won't do anymore".

Q: The entire family is very fonr of horses, how about you?
"Yes, but I prefer Icelandic horses. Some years ago Prince Gustav took me with him to Iceland, I'd never seen Icelandic horses before, only on photographs, but I became crazy about them. They are wonderful and beautiful and one day we will have some here. Fortunately Prince Gustav also likes Icelandic horses, but honestly, the rest of the family don't. They prefer dressage horses. That's a pretty closed world. The world of dressage is known to be special. I may get in trouble when I say that, but you are free to write that".

She appears to know a lot about dogs, she knows more than 200 difefernt breeds of dogs. But with Berleburg being surrounded by wild animals, she's contend with just having her dog, Amber, around.

Q: You often wear a ring with a big ruby, encircled by diamonds (**). Is that an engagementring?
"That's a question I'd prefer not to answer. But no, it's not an engagementring. It's a very beautiful and lovely present".

Q: From Prince Gustav?
"Yes. But I will not say more about the ring. I'd like to talk about my work, but not my private life".

Q: We hope to announce one day that are going to marry Prince Gustav.
"I may never be married. I'm fully contend by being Carina Axelsson".

- And this was the last summary from Billed Bladet this week.
I will leave it to someone more in the know than me, to explain why Carina and Gustav cannot marry yet, in case anyone should ask.

(*) Interesting. I wonder if there are German parallells to Old Danish Law. According to that: A woman who held the keys to a house/estate for three years and acted and was treated like the mistress of that house, would after three years be granted the same legal rights as if she was married to the man, who owned the house/estate. - Regardless whether she or the man was married to someone else or not.
People, and the legislation was very practical back then. This was a way to go around the very difficult process of being divorced, or if the husband/wife had vanished, or if people simple fell in love with someone else and moved in together. - What to do in that situation? Well, they simply came up with a law covering that eventuality.
Don't even for one second think people didn't care that much about the law 500 years ago. On the contrary! The law was your only gurantee for any rights you had and people were almost obsessive about keeping to the letter of the law.
The top lawyers back then would have been more than a match for the top lawyers of today.

(**) I know, Sternchen, FasterB etc. but I know just as little about jewelry as I know about dresses.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Courtier

Quite informative.

This is my opinion, only.

I am quite surprised to see that she would grant an interview like this. It appears as if she is trying to make a case for herself as it seems that all is not well.

Before any backlashes, again, this is only my opinion.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq View Post
Quite informative.

This is my opinion, only.

I am quite surprised to see that she would grant an interview like this. It appears as if she is trying to make a case for herself as it seems that all is not well.

Before any backlashes, again, this is only my opinion.
Yeah, I must admit there were a few times where I was a little surprised.
I'm not sure what to think of this.
I don't feel I know that branch of the family to say whether that is a normal way for them to express themselves.

My impression from this interview is that Carina Axelsson is a woman who knows what she wants and that her relationship with her father-in-law isn't that warm.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Not sure why she would feel the need to say something about Prince Richard. I certainly agree that you people should put up a front of everyone is happy and we are a great big family that is happy all the time.

But why make comments such as these that can raises eyebrows? Its like you are seeking publicity for something that should be private. I need to read the synopsis again maybe I am missing something.

Tags
prince gustav, prince gustav zu sayn-wittgenstein-berleburg, sayn