Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson, Current Events Part 2: Aug 2009 - June 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, now she is in Denmark... Hopefully she visited her mother-in-law to congratulate her in person for her 80th birthday as she missed out on the official celebration.

Who knows what it was that ended the engagement of prince Gustav and his French Fiancée - there is so much depending on the actual wording of that infamous will. As the Danish court was involved it could have been that queen Margarethe was to "ennoble" the bride or her father, but she didn't want to convert. But obviously the family thought they could work around the will or even fulfill the stipulations with this marriage. But it didn't happen, Richard died and now a court of law has to decide because the potential heirs obviously could not decide in unisono what should happen. That's how I interpret what the lawyer was saying last year. According to what Bunte-magazine wrote last year, Ludwig Ferdinand hopes to be named as new manager of the estate instead of Gustav, for they allegedly wrote that some of Ludwig's daughters is going to move into Berleburg Castle after Gustav moved out. That's the reason why Gustav's lawyer spoke up after all. And he could have a chance because he has the experience to do the job and do it good for the sake of the estate (and the people who work there and are dependant on the princely house). That's the only explanation I have for the question why he should be interested in the estate and even if the will was declared void, he wouldn't be one of the recipients of parts of the estate, because his father was a brother of the 5th Prince and if someone dies without a will, only his children have a right to the estate, but not a nephew.
So the only thing that makes sense is that he wants to become manager of the trust left by his uncle und become custodian of Berleburg. Everything else simply makes no sense. And honestly I can't see why any court should do that as long as there is still the chance that Gustav fulfills the stipulations one day. Stranger things have happened.

Here's the only a bit more in-depth report I could find: https://www.wp.de/staedte/wittgenst...m-das-erbe-von-prinz-richard-id214989751.html
I am curious whether the Berleburg family is any closer to sorting itself out. Does anyone know if there is an update?:bang::flowers:

What has happened? I don't know German.

What has happened? I don't know German.

Until now, nothing has happend! The case is at the court, who has not come to a decision yet.

The case: Prince Gustav and Prince Ludwig Ferdinand are fighting over a fortune of 500 million Euros. Among it a large forest of 13 000 ha - 130 square Kilometers!

Until now, nothing has happend! The case is at the court, who has not come to a decision yet.

The case: Prince Gustav and Prince Ludwig Ferdinand are fighting over a fortune of 500 million Euros. Among it a large forest of 13 000 ha - 130 square Kilometers!

I had not realized until pouring over this thread recently that last year a cousin of Prince Richard, a Prince Ludwig-Ferdinand of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg filed a law suit against Prince Gustav putting in further dispute who would be next in the line of inheritance. And now, I just read on "Confessions of a Castleholic" https://www.castleholic.com/2020/01/the-infamous-sayn-wittgenstein.html?m=1 "In May of 2019, local courts in Bad Berleburg decided in favour of Prince Gustav ruling that he qualified as the heir according to the will's stipulations. Soon afterwards, Prince Ludwig-Ferdinand lodged an appeal and the case went to the second instance. The court in Hamm scheduled the first hearing for July of this year." This has to be a big blow for Prince Gustav. I noticed he had been ill and unable to attend his mother's birthday bash last April but also there was no sign of longtime partner Carina Axelsson. Does it seem Gustav and Carina have become MIA. I follow Carina's instagram although she typically doesn't comment on Gustav very often. I did notice Gustav at the annual hunt in Nov but again no sign of Carina. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7707819/Danish-royal-family-stand-rows-slain-deer.html. I hope all is well for Gustav and Carina and they are laying low in Dorset. I guess we'll now have to stay tuned until July for the hearing on the appeal by Ludwig-Ferdinand.

Princess Benedikte seems to have a full time job in Denmark and likes it.

I never knew what was her relationship with the German Royals. Being the only one King's Daughter perhaps they ignore them.

Is there some reason why she and Gustav don't get married?

It is because there is a law in Gustav's family that prevents this marriage.

No. No one prevents their marriage. But a condition to have access to the House properties is vested in a Fideïcommis Sayn and once again in a Will. For an example that the Chef should be married according his rank. It is up to Gustav & Carina to marry or not. Problem is that the Fideïcommis has excluded younger brothers and sisters, exactly to keep the House properties together for the Chef, for Gustav's pleasure.

Lifting these conditions can cause the House properties to be divided over many heirs, facing hefty taxation and undoubtedly long juridical battles with the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein branch, which is in fact a junior line of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (the branch Hohenstein was on the verge of extinction and the uncle of the late Prince Richard was adopted into the Hohenstein branch, their current Fürst being a Berleburg but in name a Hohenstein). As this line fully complies with the requirments of the Fideïcommis Sayn and the Will, fighting the requirement is lifting a can with worms.

Last edited:
Princess Benedikte seems to have a full time job in Denmark and likes it.

I never knew what was her relationship with the German Royals. Being the only one King's Daughter perhaps they ignore them.

Always thought that Princess Benedikte didn't enjoy the life as "german" princess. She didn't care about her husband's health either. But, I understand she is a popular member of the danish monarchy?

Btw I think the rules in the old will is stupid. What will happen when the family have no heir?

Always thought that Princess Benedikte didn't enjoy the life as "german" princess. She didn't care about her husband's health either. But, I understand she is a popular member of the danish monarchy?

Btw I think the rules in the old will is stupid. What will happen when the family have no heir?

Then the closest male relative is the heir, Gustav's uncle Robin Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (81), assuming his marriage to Brigitta af Klercker (Swedish nobility) was dynastic.

Note that these "stupid rules" are why Gustav and Carina have the usufruct and the pleasure of an immense ancestral estate and a formidable wealth because the regulations kept it all together for the person of Chef of the House which is.... Gustav himself.

Schloss Berleburg: https://img.oastatic.com/img2/32532966/-x1200s/schloss-berleburg-und-schlosshof.jpg

But... because Prince Robin has no heirs whom fulfilled the requirements of the Fideïcommis Sayn and the Will of his father, the next heir is Bernhart Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein Hohenstein (57).

Bernhart was born in compliance with the house laws of his adoptive ancestors, the S-W-Hohensteins, as well with the house laws of his natural ancestors, the S-W-Berleburgs. His marriage to Katharina Gräfin von Podewils-Dürniz is in compliance with the house laws. With their son Wenzel Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein (23) this means that they are -for now- the most likely heirs.

Last edited:
For me this is complicated. But I understand.

We are not used to such stuff in Norway. We have no nobility.

Why did nt she "care about her husban'ds health?" I don't know anything much about her but I never heard that.

I read in newspapers in Norway and Denmark that when Prince Richard was ill she did not care that much about it. It was not her problem. Etc. This was mentioned in both serious and not that serious papers.

In our day and age the conditions for the Berleburg estate might seem (too) strict but it is important to know that the complicated web of house laws, fideïcommissionary arrangements and testamentary conditions are exactly why the House Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg still is one of Germany's wealthiest Houses. Without all these hindrances, the estate was already completely fragmented over the many heirs. Schloss Berleburg would have gone the same way as Schloss Wittgenstein for the Hohenstein branch: to be sold and in use as boarding school: https://www.wittgenstein.de/

I read in newspapers in Norway and Denmark that when Prince Richard was ill she did not care that much about it. It was not her problem. Etc. This was mentioned in both serious and not that serious papers.

well she's not mentioned in British newspapers, that I know of. THanks. It seems odd.

I read in newspapers in Norway and Denmark that when Prince Richard was ill she did not care that much about it. It was not her problem. .

I have read on other Forums that she has difficulty to engage with ill people and illness.

I have read on other Forums that she has difficulty to engage with ill people and illness.
Prince Rickard himself said that his wife had troubles handling his illness. He did not say that she didn't care about him.

So do we know if Carina and Gustaf are still together or not? She seems to be firmly in England for the last 2 years or so and no mention of Gustaf anywhere on her IG account. And except for the funeral of Princess Richard, there’s no sightings of them together....

So do we know if Carina and Gustaf are still together or not? She seems to be firmly in England for the last 2 years or so and no mention of Gustaf anywhere on her IG account. And except for the funeral of Princess Richard, there’s no sightings of them together....
I've been wondering this myself. Carina seldom mentions Gustav on her IG but even she hasn't posted since Dec. 30. We saw Gustav at the annual hunt in Denmark in Nov. kind of blending in with the crowd but no sign of Carina. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7707819/Danish-royal-family-stand-rows-slain-deer.html
https://images.app.goo.gl/zqZrdVjkb1cEMQib6

I've been wondering this myself. Carina seldom mentions Gustav on her IG but even she hasn't posted since Dec. 30. We saw Gustav at the annual hunt in Denmark in Nov. kind of blending in with the crowd but no sign of Carina. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7707819/Danish-royal-family-stand-rows-slain-deer.html

https://images.app.goo.gl/zqZrdVjkb1cEMQib6

This is true. She has since finished another book and is not working on anything new so where has she been?

If my eyes don’t betray me, I actually think the lady - standing behind the brunette woman in the short fur coat and leather skirt all the way to the right - in the first picture from the Daily Mail link you posted could be her? Her face is partially blocked as she’s turning to one side, but it looks like it could definitely be Carina.

If that’s true then they are probably still together although it’s weird that she wouldn’t have been at Princess Benedikte’s birthday celebrations or Princess Alexandra’s wedding last year. Those are big family events that I would assume would require her presence even though she is not Gustaf’s legal wife but a very firm partner to him.

Agree.

It's very odd relationship.

But then again the marriage between Prince Richard and Benedikte wasn't exactly ordinary either! They lived for considerable periods of their lives apart. Prince Richard around his beloved Berleburg and Benedikte either performing duties in DK or attending equestrian events.
Perhaps that was the secret to their stable marriage?
And perhaps the extended periods apart is the secret to Gustav and Carina's relationship?
Some people simply need a lot of personal space, perhaps that applies to G&C?
I.e. if they lived together they would wear each other out?

You be the judge, because it's a relationship I personally have problems comprehending.

This is true. She has since finished another book and is not working on anything new so where has she been?

If my eyes don’t betray me, I actually think the lady - standing behind the brunette woman in the short fur coat and leather skirt all the way to the right - in the first picture from the Daily Mail link you posted could be her? Her face is partially blocked as she’s turning to one side, but it looks like it could definitely be Carina.

If that’s true then they are probably still together although it’s weird that she wouldn’t have been at Princess Benedikte’s birthday celebrations or Princess Alexandra’s wedding last year. Those are big family events that I would assume would require her presence even though she is not Gustaf’s legal wife but a very firm partner to him.

Well done HRHAmie, I think you very well could be right! It does look like Carina and she has attended the hunt with Gustav in past years. Regarding Princess Benedikte's birthday celebrations, it was reported Gustav was ill, we don't really know anything further. Regarding Alexandra's marriage to Count Michael Preben Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille this past May, Gustav attended but I've been unable to confirm if Carina was also there. https://www.purepeople.com/article/...lexandra-a-dit-oui-au-comte-michael_a337472/1. (Scroll to 4th pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom