The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
In the Church of England, we have a similar situation regarding "blessings", remarriage etc., but the CofE is the State church of England, therefore no civil ceremony is necessary. Ministers are also Registrars.
Yep! -It's the same in Denmark and in the other Nordic countries! A church wedding is a legally valid institution of marriage! What you often see these days in Denmark is couples heading for the registry office when they're expecting a child etc. just to get the paperwork order. A church blessing may follow up to several years later when the couple can afford a big party ..... the white dream must be fullfilled!

viv

Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
But they see that there might be reasons why people want to marry but can't marry in a civil wedding. Most important reasons are financial ones. Oh, this is not about Gustav and Carina but there are a lot of pensioners who live of a pension for widows/widowers who would lose this on remarrying. And who simply can't afford this. The meaning of the church is that in such cases there should be acknowledgement of this situation. And while still there should be no "church wedding" as it is common, there should be other forms of blessings and worship to acknowledge that two people want to belong together as man and wife before God.

That's really helpful, Kataryn. That's common in the US for exactly the reason that you state, pensioners who would lose a significant part of income (such as Social Security) if they marry, yet they desire their union to be blessed.
When Jo of Palatine first brought this up, it seems perfectly applicable for Gustav.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
In the Church of England, we have a similar situation regarding "blessings", remarriage etc., but the CofE is the State church of England, therefore no civil ceremony is necessary. Ministers are also Registrars.

Isn't that what Sting and Trudy Skyler did?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Gentry

I agree with NotAPretender, that interview I felt was not flatering at all. She was outright slamming people but she did it in a passive-aggresive way. After I read that interview it is very hard to for me to like her.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Courtier

I also agree with Not A Pretender. Time has worked againt Carina and that interview that she gave, showed it. Prior to that, she was always smiling, attempting to be pleasing, amiable. That showed her true colors to all who read it and don't believe in sugar coating a situation. I don't think that she did it in a passive agressive manner as she appears to be rather aggressive and snarly at times.

There is probably much we do not know and the bottom line could very well be that Gustav wants to get rid of her but do not know how as she will spill the "beans". Time will tell.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
.....the EKD decided to go for: it's not possible but under certain circumstances.... Seeing how much is possible in the EKD when it comes to the conscience and decision of a priest, I personally tend to think that it is possible.
Ok, officially the EKD does not 'perform' a non-legally-binding 'church wedding'; it's up to the conscience of the individual Pfarrer(vicar) to make a commitment-ritual os some sort! ! Eine 'Gewissensfrage' ?

Quote:
.....Hope this info helps. If anyone wants to know more but does not read German, please tell me and I'll check if this question is answered in the text, which is 28 pages long... So much more in it that I could write here.
I do read German and I did pick up the stance of the EKD in 2008, before the law became effective in 2009! But I admit that I didn't read all 28 pages !

And a general comment: I don't see Gustav and Carina participating in a 'commitment-declaring' church ceremony! While they are free to act as individuals such a move would be vetoed by his parents, because of tradition - because of their relation to the Danish royal family. Besides, they are in effect aristocrats, and aristocrats don't always go by middle class standards and values. That's what tells them apart from the rest of us !
Again: I'm not saying that it couldn't happen - the Berleburgs have sported a few surprises in recent years - I'm just saying that I don't see it happening.

viv

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq View Post
I also agree with Not A Pretender.
Time has worked againt Carina and that interview that she gave,
showed it. Prior to that, she was always smiling, attempting to be
pleasing, amiable.
You're always showing your best sides till you're accepted by the
in-laws,right ? Anyway, I wouldn't be too hard on Carina! I agree
that the interview referred to earlier was a bit outspoken, BUT:
She's not the first 'Berleburg' to do so; if only you knew what
Prince Richard has told reporters from the DRF loyal press over
the years ! Off-hand I remember the following remarks:
- 'royalty are living in a bubble, they have no sense of reality'!
- 'Princess Benedikte was not very nice, she doesn't like illness'
(when Richard was suffering from cancer a few years ago).
plus several remarks about his being unwilling to attend royal events
and subject himself to court standards.

So there's a tradition for being outspoken in the family, except for
Princess Benedikte. She's has always tried to keep to the royal
appearences!

viv
Old 08-09-2011, 05:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post

That's really helpful, Kataryn. That's common in the US for exactly the reason that you state, pensioners who would lose a significant part of income (such as Social Security) if they marry, yet they desire their union to be blessed.
When Jo of Palatine first brought this up, it seems perfectly applicable for Gustav.

Isn't that what Sting and Trudy Skyler did?
AFAIK Sting is a Roman Catholic, so I don't think he could have married Trudie in church, as his first marriage was not annulled, he just divorced his first wife Frances.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Is it known what proportion of the family's wealth is tied up in the estate?
Old 08-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Is it known what proportion of the family's wealth is tied up in the estate?
Not in detail! In connection with the crashed Gustav/Elvire de Rochefort prenup I remember reading that the majority of the family's assets were tied up in the estate. In case of a substantial divorce settlement parts of the estate would have be sold off. Something like that!
It was at the time the Berleburgs and the Rocheforts couldn't agree on what was an acceptable amount!

Viv
Old 11-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

What will happen with Prince Gustav and Carina ? Still no wedding announcement.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent

It’s Christmas with Carina Axelsson Time! And, She Speaks Again! | The Royal Correspondent
Old 01-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Recently,Gustav has earned a degree in Woodcarving.Really.

According to the German newspaper,Siegener Zeitung,Gustav took up woodcarving as a hobby and took it to the next step.

http://www.siegener-zeitung.de/a/525105
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Royal Highness

Don't take this degree too seriously! It's more of a publicity gag of a local crafts museum. It seems to be kind of a tradition to do this thing each year between Christmas and New Year's Eve. They invite a prominent person from the region, let them carve a wooden spoon, and have a good excuse for drinking some Schnaps out of wooden spoons.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Serene Highness

So Carina makes a little more headway and is the Godmother of a Danish princess. Poor thing. It's nice that they include her but I wonder if she feels awkward?

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 05-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit View Post
So Carina makes a little more headway and is the Godmother of a Danish princess. Poor thing. It's nice that they include her but I wonder if she feels awkward?
I would think she feels honoured. After all, not everyone gets to be a godmother for a Danish Princess. Carina's situation is unfortunate; however, she appears to be very much accepted by the Danish Royal Family as a full member of the family, regardless of her marital status.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Usborne has acquired two books by model turned children's book author Carina Axelsson, with the stories combining high-end fashion, detective work and romance.
Usborne acquires two model books | The Bookseller
Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Aristocracy

Carina Axelsson is a pretty woman. I don't know her and Pr. Gustav so much.

Why aren't they married? Gustav needs a child as an heir, doesn't he?

If he will die without a child, who will inherite Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by imojeen View Post

If he will die without a child, who will inherite Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg?

As per Wiki

'The principality and princely title of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg descended, historically, according to semi-Salic primogeniture. If the unmarried and childless Gustav dies without legitimate issue, the family heritage devolves upon his father's younger brother, Prince Robin zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg'
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Why aren't they married? Gustav needs a child as an heir, doesn't he?
They are not married because Carina is not 'Standesgemäss' his equal. If he marries unequal he will lose being head of his house immediately .. with that, he would also lose a large part of his property, which is tight to the head of the house.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Carina Axelsson is a pretty woman. I don't know her and Pr. Gustav so much. Why aren't they married? Gustav needs a child as an heir, doesn't he?
They aren't married because of a will that states that in order to retain his position, Gustav needs to marry a noblewoman of Aryan blood. Carina is neither a noblewoman, nor of Aryan blood so if they marry, Prince Gustav will effectively forfeit his position. Contrary to popular belief, the will doesn't actually forbid Gustav to marry whoever he wishes; it merely stipulates that should such a marriage be against the terms of the will, Gustav will have to surrender his hereditary rights.

The couple have been working to nullify the will for years now, without much success. German law very specifically states that a person in sound mind is entitled to leave his estate to anyone and under any conditions he wishes. They might succeed in annulling the Aryan bit but hardly the noblewoman clause.

This said, there is are actually two loopholes that would allow Gustav and Carina to marry without violating the will's conditions, and/or for their potential children to have inheritance rights.

- If Gustav fathers children (in our out of wedlock), he can acknowledge and adopt them, whereby the eldest son will be his Heir (as per provisions of German Law).
- Carina and Gustav can also marry in a Church wedding without subsequent civil union. In that case, the will's conditions will again not be violated, Carina can be styled as Princess Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, and their children will be legitimate will full inheritance rights.

Quote:
If Prince Gustav has no legitimate heirs, the next person in the line to meet all the requirements of the will is, I believe, the first-born son of Prince Robin (Prince Gustav's uncle). The Wikipedia article is wrong in naming Prince Robin himself as the heir because his second marriage was morganatic, thus disqualifying him from family inheritance. His first marriage was, however, to a noblewoman so the son from that marriage should be eligible to have full inheritance rights (provided he doesn't marry a non-Aryan and non-noblewoman himself).
Old 12-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Heir Apparent

What does "Aryan blood" mean? Sorry, but IMHO it smells of hitlerism.