Opening of Parliament (Folketinget) 2003-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Queen alwayes arrives last. The others arrives in accordance with the succesion to the throne. Princess Benedicte first, then Prince Joachim and wife and then The CP Couple.

This change seems to have occurred this year, of the Queen arriving last. I only started following the Danish Parliament opening when Princess Mary was around and in all these years (2004-2007), QMII and Prince Henrik arrived first followed by the Crown Prince Couple then Prince Joachim then Princess Benedikte.

In 2006, when Princess Mary wore that white coat dress, there is a video where you see QMII and Prince Henrik are waiting by the steps and Princess Mary with Prince Frederik goes up the steps. Princess Mary curtseys to QMII. Joachim arrives after. The link to the video is in the bottom of this link, click JP video
Danish Royal Watchers: Opening of Parliament

For 2004, you can see the arrival sequence with the photos posted on the 1st page of this thread.

-Ayvee

Probably I'm not t first person who think that both M&M looks like sisters specially in hats.

Probably I'm not t first person who think that both M&M looks like sisters specially in hats.

I do, too! Except Marie is shorter but they can pass off as sisters.

The whole event looks terribly boring to me, IMO!

Is there a procession from the palace to parliament? and why don't they use carriages instead of cars? People would get a better view if they did that.

Is nobody going to answer these question? Somone must know the answers.

Is there a procession from the palace to parliament?

No, at least not one in which it is tradition to have people assembleling along the roads to wave and salute the royals. But I guess, if one wants to do so, it would be possible figure out where to go and at which time.

and why don't they use carriages instead of cars?

As I said it is not a tradition to have people assembleling along the roads to wave and salute the royals at this occasion. It isn't the royals who is in focus - but the parliament.

No, at least not one in which it is tradition to have people assembleling along the roads to wave and salute the royals. But I guess, if one wants to do so, it would be possible figure out where to go and at which time.

As I said it is not a tradition to have people assembleling along the roads to wave and salute the royals at this occasion. It isn't the royals who is in focus - but the parliament.

Thank you for the reply Lilla. It's a pity there's no procession, people like a good show.

We will have to wait for a procession until the "Nytårskur" at the very beginning of january. At this event it is a tradition for The Queen and The Prince Consort to ride in a golden carriage - drawn by a span of six horses - from Amalienborg palace to Christiansborg castle. The carriage is followed by the mounted Gardehusarer Regiment as well.

When is the opening of the Danish Parliament this year? I see some of the other countries have already had there openings and there is nothing listed on the Danish Calender yet.

When is the opening of the Danish Parliament this year? I see some of the other countries have already had there openings and there is nothing listed on the Danish Calender yet.

The opening of parliament is listed on the Danish Calender which is stickied to the main Danish forum:
October 6
The royal couple, Crown Prince couple, Prince Joachim & Princess Marie as well as Princess Benedikte will attend the Folketing opening at Christiansborg Palace at 12.00

Information about this year opening of the Folketinget
Google Traductor

The folketinget Tv will broadcast the event. The royal family will arrived at 11:45h

Last edited:
Princess Benedikte is in dark colours, wearing a cape/poncho.
Princess Marie in a green dress and jacket, with a small beret-type hat.
Princess Mary in black, with a grey hat.

I'll make some screencaps.

Last edited:
Fred & Mary just arrived. Mary in a new hat and a black coat.
I quite liked Marie's green coat and hair-do, looks very neat.

I wonder why the ladies are dressed in dark colors.
I didnt know that Mary & Marie had to curtsey to P.Henrik, also didnt know that they kissed the royals then curtsey, thought it was the other way round.

Here are two videos of arriving and the other inside the parliment.

Thanks Jess for the info.

Last edited:
Great video, I love watching the Princess' curtsy to Her Majesty in the line when she arrives. Such respect and pagentry. They family looks well to me on a fresh fall day in Denmark.

Ladies were very elegant for this opening!!

The Crown Princess has favoured a muted wardrobe this past week. Certainly considered diplomatically elegant. Her evident partiality for black could not be more apparent and imo, she wears it very very well. The use of grey has also been consistent and the hat, while not a favourite of mine I must confess, contrasts well with the coatdress. I just love how Mary proceeds from the vehicle around to the steps and acknowledges the waiting crowds opposite.

Princess Marie looks resplendent in what appears to me as being a shade of BRG (British Racing Green). The coordinating Pillbox hat is very becoming and compliments her face. Her hair is beautifully fashioned. A truly Parisian élan.

BB has an article and a picture gallery seen here

PPE has a gallery of some pictures of the royals leaving the parliment
and more from ANP gallery from inside the parliment

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful photos and video, dazzling you are IT!! Marie looks really wonderful, everyone does. And for Mary? she does it very easily IMO.

I wonder why the ladies are dressed in dark colors.
I didnt know that Mary & Marie had to curtsey to P.Henrik, also didnt know that they kissed the royals then curtsey, thought it was the other way round.

As a consort of a Reigning Monarch, he's above both Mary and Marie in the precedence list. As such, it's both a sign of respect and protocol demand to curtsey (although I don’t imagine there would be a great fuss if they didn’t – it’s more respect than protocol). You are quite right about the kiss/curtsey part - it's curtsey first and then, if close relationships exist, embrace and kiss. I don't know why the ladies did it the other way round in this case. :)

I really liked how all ladies looked.
Mary was very elegant in that black coat and white skirt, although the hat is not my favourite. The shoes were beautiful and well-matched too.
I absolutely loved Marie’s green coat and especially the hat with the matching clutch: she looked gorgeous.
The Queen looked very nice, although the shoes somewhat spoilt the look. This picture gave me quite a fright though: at first, I thought the car’s antenna was part of the hat. :D
Not quite sure about Princess Benedikte’s look.

Few things which I like from this Opening of Parliament:
Mary's hat, Marie's shoes, flowers.

Love the pictures from today. I just love this event. :)
Mary is my clear favourite. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom