Opening of Parliament (Folketinget) 2003-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joachim smiling to Alex-why divorce? Are they good friends or something now? wow-they are amazingly civilized. Does Alex have a new love already or something?

Alex and Joachim definitley get my vote for one the most civil couples in the process of a divorce. The only public individuals that I can think of that handled a divorce so well regardless of what the media said were Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew. I don't know if A&J are simply playing for the cameras-I guess that there could be a little of it, but they seem so happy and carefree, Alex especially. If they can handle themselves in front of the cameras so wonderfully, I have to wonder why they couldn't work things out behind closed doors. It is so strange, because there is clearly some camaraderie that remains.

Concerning Mary's attire....I did like the suit and its jacket and shoes, etc. The outfit is from her engagement and I liked it then and still do now. My only dislike would be for the hat. It was a nice a hat and did match the texture and color of the outfit. I do think, however, that it would have been suited someone else better. It simply didn't do Mary any justice.

I think my biggest problem with that hat was that it had to be worn with her hair tucked behind her ears and restrained and so it made her hair looks so...plain or normal...that and the large bow sprouting from the side...maybe with out the bow it would have looked MUCH better. I liked the rest of the outfit though.

Maybe Mary was just a little nervous because it was her first parliment opening and she was unsure of how to act or what to expect as it's slightly different from the apperances and duties she's been attending to since joining the family. It's a bit more serious and subdued, ya know? So maybe she isn't sick, just nervous...I know I would be! At any rate she definitely looked a bit off...

Attachments

• IMAGINE-129936-2004-10-05.jpg
    IMAGINE-129936-2004-10-05.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 720
  • IMAGINE-129945-2004-10-05.jpg
    IMAGINE-129945-2004-10-05.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 695
  • IMAGINE-130029-2004-01-26.jpg
    IMAGINE-130029-2004-01-26.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 783
  • IMAGINE-130035-2004-01-26.jpg
    IMAGINE-130035-2004-01-26.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 850
  • IMAGINE-130037-2004-01-26.jpg
    IMAGINE-130037-2004-01-26.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 675
  • IMAGINE-130119-2004-10-06.jpg
    IMAGINE-130119-2004-10-06.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 770
  • IMAGINE-129951-2004-10-05.jpg
    IMAGINE-129951-2004-10-05.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 696
  • IMAGINE-129930-2004-10-05.jpg
    IMAGINE-129930-2004-10-05.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 763
  • IMAGINE-129952-2004-10-05.jpg
    IMAGINE-129952-2004-10-05.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 863
Alexandria said:
About Mary's outfit: The jacket is wonderful and the darker dress underneath it wasn't so bad. Although I wonder why she didn't wear that pretty light pink/beige dress she wore at the engagement press conference with the jacket; that was a much better dress than the dark one from today. The shoes (also from the engagement) were the second best part of her outfit aside from the jacket. The hat however, was horrendous. And what was with the bow or tie thing at the side?!

Benedikte looked really great however.

As for Alexandra and Joachim: From the few pictures I saw of the couple interacting during the opening, if I didn't know better I couldn't tell at all that they were divorcing. They seemed perfectly normal and natural together, talking and interacting. It is obviously not an acrimonious seperation.

And it is just me or did everyone seem incredibly bored with the opening of parliament? The Dutch royals didn't seem all that happy to be at their opening of parliament either.
What wonderful pictures! I have a few pictures but I think they're only duplicates of what's here :)

I did notice that Mary's outfit looked vaguely familiar and now I know where I saw them :). I hope that in the near future she would try to dress in brighter colors. She's so pretty and brown just really doesn't do anything for her.

I agree, Alexandria, about Joachim and Alexandra. They don't seem like a couple divorcing. Sometimes their body language betrays them, however, as I have noticed sometimes when they stand together, they don't stand too close to each other. Anyway, I hope they reconcile. They seemed so happy :(

Thanks for all the great pictures everyone! I think Princess Alexandra looked really dashing in her light creation! Crown Princess Mary was elegant, but that hat should be removed... :D The bouquet she got made a really colourfull and great compliment to the jacket... Nice to see Princess Benedikte too out and about, good outfit for her too!

I'm surprised. Mary wore something not a one poster liked.

I think it's great when Royal women repeat clothing, but there are certain things that should never be worn twice. That beautiful coat was one of them. And then to make it worse. It wasn't even close to the lovely outfit she wore on her engagement day--to this day my favorite Mary outfit. Now she's gone and ruined the memory with that terrible hat and a dress too long for the coat. Such a shame.

Why did the Queen sit in the balcony. Doesn't she give a "speech from the throne" as is done in some other countries?

lucys said:
I'm surprised. Mary wore something not a one poster liked.

I think it's great when Royal women repeat clothing, but there are certain things that should never be worn twice. That beautiful coat was one of them. And then to make it worse. It wasn't even close to the lovely outfit she wore on her engagement day--to this day my favorite Mary outfit. Now she's gone and ruined the memory with that terrible hat and a dress too long for the coat. Such a shame.
Hard to believe, but I have actually encountered a number of posters who liked the oufit (hat and all! - but we're understandably a bit pro-Mary at the CP Mary MB...lol).

But I think it would have been hard to look elegant when you've got gallstones (which is apparently as painful as when you're giving birth! omg how horrific). Though of course we only found out that she needed to be operated on on Monday. Which just goes to show that we shouldn't be so quick to judge. Sometimes, things aren't what they seem.....

But back to Joachim and Alex!!! I agree with Cissan - Joachim and Alexndra are both mature, and responsible people. They know that this separation will have huge consequences not only for them and for the DRF, but for their children as well. I don't think they made the decision rashly nor lightly. Its unbelievable how open Denmark is about things which I would have considered private - but if Alex's new house was bought about 18 (?) months ago (by a company set up or related to the queen or something), then I think the decision to separate was made a long long time ago.

I too can see the relief, especially in Joachim. Alexandra looks as elegant as always, but Joachim used to look a little bit aloof, but he doesn't look it as much in the recent pictures I've seen of him. I'm sure they're both still suffering, but at the same time, I think they've thought this through.

Its so lovely and quite a relief to see that they are very civilised about this! Lots of love to Felix (my favourite little prince!) and Nikolai!

Last edited:
Mary looked fine and she had a great outfit on, however she just didn't look as vibrant in it as she was when she first wore it at the engagement announcement. It might be the gallstones that had her in pain and she was feeling under the weather. But I agree, that hat had to go, but the rest of the outfit was good.

Hi everyone!
I'm brand new to this website although I've been viewing it without being a member for a while.
I just wanted to say that Mary is my absolute FAVORITE and I think she couldn't be more elegant and sophisticated. Imagine being thrust into the spotlight as she's been with millions of people just like us critiquing every move she makes. All of us have those days where we wake up miserable and want to crawl back under the covers but she doesn't have that luxury anymore. No one is going to like everything she wears or does or says but I think she's doing a pretty good job thus far.

they look so bored in some photos

how long are they there and listen and is there a lunch or something after for everyone

Why do they sit in the gallery, does the queen not give a "speech from the throne"?

Iain said:
Why do they sit in the gallery, does the queen not give a "speech from the throne"?

No Queen Margrethe do not give a speeche from the throne becaus she and the rest of the royal family may not express ther political opinion. Therefore the queen and the royal family can´t place ther vote when ther is a election to the Danish Parliament.

H.M. Margrethe said:
No Queen Margrethe do not give a speeche from the throne becaus she and the rest of the royal family may not express ther political opinion. Therefore the queen and the royal family can´t place ther vote when ther is a election to the Danish Parliament.

Thanks for that. In countries where the monarch does give a speech from throne it is the government who writes the speech so it is not their own opinion that they are giving.

a forum for news and photos of today's event, the opening of the danish parliament.
first photo, from gremb, posted by marianne.

more pics, from polfoto

her majesty looks really elegant...
it's a pity we can't see alex or mary there :(

Attachments

• ch142630_guest.jpg
    ch142630_guest.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 660
  • ch1426372qq.jpg
    ch1426372qq.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 696
  • ch142632_guest.jpg
    ch142632_guest.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 801
  • ch142631_guest.jpg
    ch142631_guest.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 663
  • ch142629_guest.jpg
    ch142629_guest.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 545
  • ch142628_guest.jpg
    ch142628_guest.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 662
Last edited by a moderator:
Alex is no longer in member of Royal Family and Mary still awaiting for baby coming

Sara Boyce

Sorry, but it is really boring to look at this pics without Mary and Alex:(

sara1981 said:
Alex is no longer in member of Royal Family and Mary still awaiting for baby coming

Sara Boyce

I don´t think that it´s tru because she has given birth to both Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix and they are 3. and 4. in line to the crown,so in that way she will still be in the family. She migth not be married to Prince Joachim BUT her blood is running in the veins of Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix.

Her blood may be running through her kids vains but that is commoner blood and does not affect her at all.

H.M. Margrethe said:
I don´t think that it´s tru because she has given birth to both Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix and they are 3. and 4. in line to the crown,so in that way she will still be in the family. She migth not be married to Prince Joachim BUT her blood is running in the veins of Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix.
I think what Sara meant that Alexandra officially is not a member of royal family anymore then she will not continue to join "official " royal tradition in parliament opening ceremony, but yes of course she still remains part of the family because of her children then she might still invited for a less formal event of the family:) .

Princejonnhy25 said:
Her blood may be running through her kids vains but that is commoner blood and does not affect her at all.
I don't understand why somebody still bring up a commoner blood issue to nowaday royal... in present DRF it self I think only the queen and her siblings has "pure" royal blood. Frederick and Joachim don't considered as having the same kind of what their mother has since prince Henrik doesn't come from a royal family background (just aristocracy family).
Frederick’s wife also has a commoner background and then the future Cp or Cps will have 3/4 commoner blood. I don't think that is a big issue anymore.

Btw, I belief that nothing can break any blood relationship, then Alexandra will still remain their family, the same thing will be happened if Mary' and Frederick have to face a divorcing situation, Mary will remain a family specialy because of her child.

A selection of the pictures from Face to Face.

Attachments

• 00769471.jpg
    00769471.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 664
  • 00769474.jpg
    00769474.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 653
  • 00769475.jpg
    00769475.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 943
  • 00769476.jpg
    00769476.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 628
  • 00769477.jpg
    00769477.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 626
  • 00769484.jpg
    00769484.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 993
  • 00769486.jpg
    00769486.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 582
  • 00769487.jpg
    00769487.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 593
Princejonnhy25 said:

There's no such thing as commoner blood, or royal blood for that matter. We are all the same, after all, royalty all started out as "commoners."

Its so sad that Mary was not there, so the outfits of Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte also not really special, i think Queen Margrethe is down to earth and such a great person but her outfit at the Opening of The Parliarment this year was really normal nothing such special, Princess Benedikte's outift was alright, i like the colour but not the hat.

I know that prince Henrik is 71 years old but to me he looks like he is about 79 or 80 in this pic.
I think he looks older than he is. I hope ther is nothing wrong with him :( :(

Any pictures from todays opening of the Danish Parliament?

Both Queen Margrethe II, Prince Henrik, Crownprince Frederik, Crownprincess Mary, Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte were present...

Last edited:
CP Mary look lovely

Back
Top Bottom