Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Lovely pictures.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here are some more pics of this year's opening of parliament:

** ppe gallery **

** dpp gallery: Danish royal family attend opening parliament 2014 **

** demotix gallery: Danish Royal Family attend opening session of the Danish Parliament **

** hellomagazine: Princesses Mary and Marie step into new Danish parliamentary season in true sartorial style **

Old 10-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
You may be able to watch the show in the Parliament live via this BT link: Nu åbner Thorning folketinget | Nu åbner Thorning folketinget - Politik | www.bt.dk
Sometimes the camera switch to the DRF.
Muhler-Thank you for the links. I noticed when HM arrived that her daughters-in-law were the only members of the family to acknowledge her with a curtsey. I was surprised that her sons did not do a neck bow. Is this the norm with the family?
Old 10-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Looks like Marie was very animated in talking
http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14100795.jpg
http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14100791.jpg

waiting for the queen to arrive they all seem to have a nice chat
http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14100794.JPG
http://static3.demotix.com/sites/def...t-_5956287.jpg

quite windy
http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14100788.jpg
Old 10-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Muhler-Thank you for the links. I noticed when HM arrived that her daughters-in-law were the only members of the family to acknowledge her with a curtsey. I was surprised that her sons did not do a neck bow. Is this the norm with the family?
It is. Except when the really big show is on, like weddings or baptisms.
When the family meet at official events or rather before official events, I have noticed Frederik, Joachim and Benedikte do not curtsey or bow.
I, and I think I speak for most Danes, would think it was a bit over the top, if QMII's own sons and sister were to bow to her. They are after all close family.
That her daughters-in-law curtsey is something I personally find charming, but I wouldn't find it odd at all if they only kissed.

Once M&F become king and queen I don't expect Joachim, our Marie, let alone Benedikte to bow or curtsey - again with the exception of really big events. They are too close age and family wise I think.
Nikolai, Felix, bette Henrik and Athena, yes. M&F's children perhaps, but not the older members of the family.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Courtier

I can just imagine the press sitting in the gallery opposite taking bets among themselves if they can stay awake long enough to get the shot of the DRF having a snooze so they can sell that pic to our trashy magazines. Never mind our trashy magazines will follow their past pattern from Every year previous. They will publish a shot of Fred looking serious - actually he is desperately trying to stay awake. And they will say that He and Mary have marriage troubles. They do it every year, never mind the lovely photos of them sharing a joke or a tender moment.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It is. Except when the really big show is on, like weddings or baptisms.
When the family meet at official events or rather before official events, I have noticed Frederik, Joachim and Benedikte do not curtsey or bow.
I, and I think I speak for most Danes, would think it was a bit over the top, if QMII's own sons and sister were to bow to her. They are after all close family.
That her daughters-in-law curtsey is something I personally find charming, but I wouldn't find it odd at all if they only kissed.

Once M&F become king and queen I don't expect Joachim, our Marie, let alone Benedikte to bow or curtsey - again with the exception of really big events. They are too close age and family wise I think.
Nikolai, Felix, bette Henrik and Athena, yes. M&F's children perhaps, but not the older members of the family.
Thank you Muhler. So the Danes are somewhere between the courts that require it ie: UK and those that do not ie: Netherlands.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Royal Highness

I saw this lovely comment on Facebook to Mary from Lone Loklindt who accompanied Mary up the stairs:

"To accompany the Crown Princess up to the Royal Box was a wonderful debut for me from at the opening of Parliament. Our common agenda for women's right to decide over their own bodies, sexual and reproductive rights and health was substance for our conversation all the way up the parliament's royal box. The Crown Princess do a fantastic job with great enthusiasm and great effect for the causes. Respect!"
Old 10-08-2014, 02:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Thank you Muhler. So the Danes are somewhere between the courts that require it ie: UK and those that do not ie: Netherlands.
You are welcome.
Yep, they curtsey when the show (and cameras) is on, but in private or private settings they greet like normal close family members.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
Yeah there was a good family talk there... I don't saw the beginning, but Frederik and Joachim held together and had a long brother talk, while Mary and Benedikte and Marie had them a woman talk. Mary explained and explained with funny facial expressions, but this year we couldn't hear what. Sometimes when it is less windy we can actually hear what they're talking about.

Now is the time to try to stay awake...

ADDED:

Haha oh both the DRF and our politicians are at risk each year for a photographer captures them in a moment of blinking and ends up on the frontpage with a "Zzzzzz".

This year (anti-royal) Ekstrabladet selected to broadcast live from the Royal Box during the entire speech (totally silly IMO, but okay, then they are more than sure that they later today can make a condescending article about one of the royal closing their eyes while blinking)

I managed to take some screenshots along the way. I noted that the Prince Consort were struggling a battle, but that Margrethe used the tactic to study the ceiling very thoroughly to stay awake while F&M used the tactic chit chatting alot with each other along the way to stay awake.

Okay, that the Queen has no role anymore, that is sad enough. That the balcony has not even been decorated with flowers, velvet tapestries, special guards or something to mark that there are Very Special And Most Honoured Guests In The House, that is really a shame.

Even in the very republican German Bundestag (the Lower House) they do extra efforts when there are special guests in the House. See picture:
http://blumen-liessem.de/images/img/bundestag02.jpg
Old 10-08-2014, 04:37 AM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know if the Danish monarch opened the old Rigsdagen, when parliament was made up of two houses, the upper Landsting and the lower Folketing?

I agree though, that the current arrangement seems a bit half-hearted.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb Fuddler View Post
Does anyone know if the Danish monarch opened the old Rigsdagen, when parliament was made up of two houses, the upper Landsting and the lower Folketing?

I agree though, that the current arrangement seems a bit half-hearted.
He did actually, but the two chamber system was abolished and the Communists especially, who were strong after WWII, were among the most vocal in objecting to the Monarch speaking in the Parliament, or for that matter standing on the Parliament floor.
So the DRF became invited and honored guests instead.

That means the current arrangement is a reflection of the Monarch's current role: Politically neutral but still very much the head of state - and without whom no law is valid.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
He did actually, but the two chamber system was abolished and the Communists especially, who were strong after WWII, were among the most vocal in objecting to the Monarch speaking in the Parliament, or for that matter standing on the Parliament floor.
So the DRF became invited and honored guests instead.

That means the current arrangement is a reflection of the Monarch's current role: Politically neutral but still very much the head of state - and without whom no law is valid.
I can imagine a better arrangement, for an example like in Sweden, where the King is guest of honour "on the floor" and not eh... tucked away on a balcony. The King speaks some ceremonial words and then listens to other speakers: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-r-GL-TaGUz...i-scanpixW.jpg

Old 10-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I can imagine a better arrangement, for an example like in Sweden, where the King is guest of honour "on the floor" and not eh... tucked away on a balcony. The King speaks some ceremonial words and then listens to other speakers: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-r-GL-TaGUz...i-scanpixW.jpg

There are many ways of doing it.

You can also interprete the current system as the Monarch being above the daily squabble in the Parliament and above politics. - And in theory she can veto a bill by refusing to sign.

Whether the Danish system is better or worse I don't know. It's the one that best suits the current political and public climate here in DK I guess.

A Royalista article with the DRF-ladies not loosing their hats - and a few pics: GALLERY: Royals put to the test at parliament opening | Royalista

This is a very good pic of Mary: http://royalista.com/wp-content/imag...200_h=1200.jpg

And observe how Joachim, being the perfect gentleman, looks elegantly casual while keeping one hand in his pocket and posing beside his lady. Admire how the lining in his jacket reflects the red carpet.
http://royalista.com/wp-content/imag..._h=1200.jpgOur Marie could do with a few kilos more. She's got too thin. - Curves are better.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, benedikte, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, joachim, margrethe, margrethe ii, mary, mary donaldson, opening of parliament, prince frederik, prince joachim, princess alexandra, princess benedikte, queen margrethe