The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am a big fan of mary's fashion but I must say she didn't look well today. I didn't like her dress, the coat was nice (from the engagement). But the hat absolutely did not suit her. She looked dowdy with that brown monstrosity of a hat with that absurd bow on the side.
Princess Alexandra, on the other hand, looked as elegant as ever. With her beautiful blue dress and pearls. Joachim and her looked so good together, why are they divorcing????? I know, because they have problems, but they make such a perfect couple that I can't help wishing that they get back together again.
Anyways, thanks for the pics everyone. You guys are the BEST!

Old 10-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Royal Highness

This must be a joke. I just don't see why they are going to get a divorce. I totally hope they can work somehting out. Alexandra belongs in her position. Just think-after the divorce she won't be at official meetings and stuff. So sad... :(

Old 10-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Commoner

Hi
Yes I also think Mary looked quite bad in that outfit. Is that really the same jacket as the engagement???????
Old 10-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

About Mary's outfit: The jacket is wonderful and the darker dress underneath it wasn't so bad. Although I wonder why she didn't wear that pretty light pink/beige dress she wore at the engagement press conference with the jacket; that was a much better dress than the dark one from today. The shoes (also from the engagement) were the second best part of her outfit aside from the jacket. The hat however, was horrendous. And what was with the bow or tie thing at the side?!

Benedikte looked really great however.

As for Alexandra and Joachim: From the few pictures I saw of the couple interacting during the opening, if I didn't know better I couldn't tell at all that they were divorcing. They seemed perfectly normal and natural together, talking and interacting. It is obviously not an acrimonious seperation.

And it is just me or did everyone seem incredibly bored with the opening of parliament? The Dutch royals didn't seem all that happy to be at their opening of parliament either.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq
I too hope that Alexandra and Joachim will reconcile.
What I hope is that they do what is best for them and their family and I wish them happiness.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Heir Apparent

i really like Crown Princess Mary's engagement's dress before but i like same dresses what Mary wores!

Sara Boyce
Old 10-06-2004, 02:51 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for all the pictures, they all look great :) We still love Mary's jacket and we think her clothes is nice, but we don't like the hat....
Old 10-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Aristocracy

Oooh, I hope she's pregnant!!! That would be so exciting! But then I would feel a bit sorry for them. It's so wonderful to be newlyweds and not have a care in the world so if I was them I would wait before I started having children.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:33 AM
Aristocracy

maybe she is feeling unwell, maybe a cold or morning sickness either way she looked lovely and J & A seem like they never seperated, i really hope they get back together and they fix there problems...
Old 10-06-2004, 04:37 AM
Aristocracy

I hope J & A will get back together as well. However, if there was the slightest chance that they might have solved their problems, I don't think the court would have announced the separation. I'm afraid they have reached the point of no return. When I see the pictures of them I see relief. They have announced their separation and the people didn't take it too bad. They still have a good relationship and are able to be good parents to their boys and that's wonderful! But I don't think that they will get back together.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissan
Oooh, I hope she's pregnant!!! That would be so exciting! But then I would feel a bit sorry for them. It's so wonderful to be newlyweds and not have a care in the world so if I was them I would wait before I started having children.
Exactly. Moreover, I hope she gets comfortable in her role before having children. It can be quite daunting otherwise.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Aristocracy

Joachim smiling to Alex-why divorce? Are they good friends or something now? wow-they are amazingly civilized. Does Alex have a new love already or something?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Nobility

Alex and Joachim definitley get my vote for one the most civil couples in the process of a divorce. The only public individuals that I can think of that handled a divorce so well regardless of what the media said were Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew. I don't know if A&J are simply playing for the cameras-I guess that there could be a little of it, but they seem so happy and carefree, Alex especially. If they can handle themselves in front of the cameras so wonderfully, I have to wonder why they couldn't work things out behind closed doors. It is so strange, because there is clearly some camaraderie that remains.

Concerning Mary's attire....I did like the suit and its jacket and shoes, etc. The outfit is from her engagement and I liked it then and still do now. My only dislike would be for the hat. It was a nice a hat and did match the texture and color of the outfit. I do think, however, that it would have been suited someone else better. It simply didn't do Mary any justice.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Courtier

I think my biggest problem with that hat was that it had to be worn with her hair tucked behind her ears and restrained and so it made her hair looks so...plain or normal...that and the large bow sprouting from the side...maybe with out the bow it would have looked MUCH better. I liked the rest of the outfit though.

Maybe Mary was just a little nervous because it was her first parliment opening and she was unsure of how to act or what to expect as it's slightly different from the apperances and duties she's been attending to since joining the family. It's a bit more serious and subdued, ya know? So maybe she isn't sick, just nervous...I know I would be! At any rate she definitely looked a bit off...
Old 10-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Majesty

Pictures from www.imaginescandinavia.dk/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGINE-129936-2004-10-05.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	44478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGINE-129945-2004-10-05.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	44479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGINE-130029-2004-01-26.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	44491   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGINE-130035-2004-01-26.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	44492  

Name:	IMAGINE-130037-2004-01-26.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	44493   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGINE-130119-2004-10-06.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	44494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGINE-129951-2004-10-05.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	44495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGINE-129930-2004-10-05.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	44498  

Name:	IMAGINE-129952-2004-10-05.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	44499  
Old 10-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
About Mary's outfit: The jacket is wonderful and the darker dress underneath it wasn't so bad. Although I wonder why she didn't wear that pretty light pink/beige dress she wore at the engagement press conference with the jacket; that was a much better dress than the dark one from today. The shoes (also from the engagement) were the second best part of her outfit aside from the jacket. The hat however, was horrendous. And what was with the bow or tie thing at the side?!

Benedikte looked really great however.

As for Alexandra and Joachim: From the few pictures I saw of the couple interacting during the opening, if I didn't know better I couldn't tell at all that they were divorcing. They seemed perfectly normal and natural together, talking and interacting. It is obviously not an acrimonious seperation.

And it is just me or did everyone seem incredibly bored with the opening of parliament? The Dutch royals didn't seem all that happy to be at their opening of parliament either.
What wonderful pictures! I have a few pictures but I think they're only duplicates of what's here :)

I did notice that Mary's outfit looked vaguely familiar and now I know where I saw them :). I hope that in the near future she would try to dress in brighter colors. She's so pretty and brown just really doesn't do anything for her.

I agree, Alexandria, about Joachim and Alexandra. They don't seem like a couple divorcing. Sometimes their body language betrays them, however, as I have noticed sometimes when they stand together, they don't stand too close to each other. Anyway, I hope they reconcile. They seemed so happy :(
Old 10-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for all the great pictures everyone! I think Princess Alexandra looked really dashing in her light creation! Crown Princess Mary was elegant, but that hat should be removed... The bouquet she got made a really colourfull and great compliment to the jacket... Nice to see Princess Benedikte too out and about, good outfit for her too!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Courtier

I'm surprised. Mary wore something not a one poster liked.

I think it's great when Royal women repeat clothing, but there are certain things that should never be worn twice. That beautiful coat was one of them. And then to make it worse. It wasn't even close to the lovely outfit she wore on her engagement day--to this day my favorite Mary outfit. Now she's gone and ruined the memory with that terrible hat and a dress too long for the coat. Such a shame.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:33 AM
Nobility

Why did the Queen sit in the balcony. Doesn't she give a "speech from the throne" as is done in some other countries?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucys
I'm surprised. Mary wore something not a one poster liked.

I think it's great when Royal women repeat clothing, but there are certain things that should never be worn twice. That beautiful coat was one of them. And then to make it worse. It wasn't even close to the lovely outfit she wore on her engagement day--to this day my favorite Mary outfit. Now she's gone and ruined the memory with that terrible hat and a dress too long for the coat. Such a shame.
Hard to believe, but I have actually encountered a number of posters who liked the oufit (hat and all! - but we're understandably a bit pro-Mary at the CP Mary MB...lol).

But I think it would have been hard to look elegant when you've got gallstones (which is apparently as painful as when you're giving birth! omg how horrific). Though of course we only found out that she needed to be operated on on Monday. Which just goes to show that we shouldn't be so quick to judge. Sometimes, things aren't what they seem.....

But back to Joachim and Alex!!! I agree with Cissan - Joachim and Alexndra are both mature, and responsible people. They know that this separation will have huge consequences not only for them and for the DRF, but for their children as well. I don't think they made the decision rashly nor lightly. Its unbelievable how open Denmark is about things which I would have considered private - but if Alex's new house was bought about 18 (?) months ago (by a company set up or related to the queen or something), then I think the decision to separate was made a long long time ago.

I too can see the relief, especially in Joachim. Alexandra looks as elegant as always, but Joachim used to look a little bit aloof, but he doesn't look it as much in the recent pictures I've seen of him. I'm sure they're both still suffering, but at the same time, I think they've thought this through.

Its so lovely and quite a relief to see that they are very civilised about this! Lots of love to Felix (my favourite little prince!) and Nikolai!

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, benedikte, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, joachim, margrethe, margrethe ii, mary, mary donaldson, opening of parliament, prince frederik, prince joachim, princess alexandra, princess benedikte, queen margrethe