The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
My question is , will the Danish Royal House continue to be of the line of Glücksburg because the Prince Consort is French?
I think it´s safe to say that the DRF will continue to be Glücksborg, because you are always sure of the child´s mother, but not the father

Old 05-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Serene Highness

Maybe Mary would rather be Monpezat than Glucksberg, etc Maybe she likes the French connection.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Maybe Mary would rather be Monpezat than Glucksberg, etc Maybe she likes the French connection.
If you had written Marie, then yes, but Mary no
Old 05-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Can't see why it would matter what she thinks since she will never be the monarch. Anyway, its not like she will ever use a surname since she will go from being HRH Crown Princess Mary of Denmark to HM Queen Mary of Denmark, assuming she stays married to Frederik and Denmark remains a monarchy.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Commoner

Titles

I do realise this is an old thread bur I'm new here so bear with me as I confuse matters more.

When Danish royal titles are translated into English it will be Prince/esse of Denmark. This is not incorrect but in Danish we use 2 different prepositions depending on the person's place in the line of succession.
Frederik is Crown Prince to Denmark ('to' because the throne will most likely be his one day)
Mary is Crown Princess of Denmark ('of' in her case because she came by the title by marriage)
More examples:
The Duke of Edinborough is also Prince of Denmark (he is the decendant of a Danish king but no longer in the line of succesion).
Interestingly Joachim's and Marie's children are no longer 'to' but 'of' Denmark.
People are speculating that Nikolaj and Felix will inherit their mother's title and be counts of Rosenborg. Or their future spouses will be Countesses of Rosenborg. This is purely specuation!
Nikolaj, Felix, Henrik and Athena are still in the line of succession but it will take a tragedy of epic proportions for either of them to take the throne and maybe that's why they are 'of' rather than 'to' Denmark.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Congratulations on your first posts and welcome.

A minor correction though. Both Athena and bette Henrik are to Denmark. As they are both in the Line of Succession. - Just to be sure I checked the DRF website.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Commoner

I stand corrected. Thanks ;-)
Old 10-14-2018, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
That's not necessarily so. Prince Philip may have been impoverished but he was nonetheless a Prince of Greece and Denmark. Not only did they make him renounce his title and his nationality and gave him the empty title of Duke of Edinburgh. His blood was just as royal as Elizabeth's and they didn't even make him Prince Consort which Margrethe husband Henrik was.

Plus Margarethe II. of Denmark gave her sons and all their children the title of Greve/Grevinde af Monpezat as a personal title. As she used "Grevinde" for her granddaughters, she made that clear - as daughter of a count they would have been komtesse af Monpezat. As Denmark knows Countesses in their own right who may leave their title to their sons, I guess that means that these granddaughters of the souverain have indeed titles ror their children to inherit.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Plus Margarethe II. of Denmark gave her sons and all their children the title of Greve/Grevinde af Monpezat as a personal title. As she used "Grevinde" for her granddaughters, she made that clear - as daughter of a count they would have been komtesse af Monpezat. As Denmark knows Countesses in their own right who may leave their title to their sons, I guess that means that these granddaughters of the souverain have indeed titles ror their children to inherit.
While no longer about Jack's title... According to kongehuset.dk Margrethe's granddaughters are 'komtesse', her daughters-in-law are 'grevinde'. I haven't seen any evidence that the Monpezat title is hereditary in female line.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Gentry

Quote:
As far as I understand it, the Monpezat-title is only hereditary for descendants in the male-line. (And I really think that that's ridicoulus, especially considering how often Henrik complained about his sexist and unfair title (e.g. not being called a king). While I think that he had a point there, it seems rather childish and illogical to me to complain about that and issue such dated discriminatory titles a little later.)
Old 10-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolanthe View Post
As far as I understand it, the Monpezat-title is only hereditary for descendants in the male-line. (And I really think that that's ridicoulus, especially considering how often Henrik complained about his sexist and unfair title (e.g. not being called a king). While I think that he had a point there, it seems rather childish and illogical to me to complain about that and issue such dated discriminatory titles a little later.)

A unmarried Grevinde is a countess in her own right while the unmarried daughter of a Count is a komtesse. Officially, Isabella, Josephine and Athena are "Grevinde af Monpezat", thus the title is theirs in their own right and they can leave it to their children. AFAIK - I will look it up, so we can be sure.

So, just checked it. There is no official announcement, just a press notice from 2008, but on the Danish page of the Royal House of denmark, Isabella is named as Princess of Denmark and komtesse af Monpezat, meaning she only helds this title as the daughter of a count, while her brothers are Counts in their own right. So - no titles for Isabella's and the other girls' children.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Queen Margrethe only did that because it was discovered that the Monpezat comital title was an assumed one and that even the family´s noble status rested on shaky ground. As it happened it turned out to be perfectly timed with her husband becoming more outspoken about his feelings about his royal title. In a way, to me, it seems this was a Danish version of the British declaration regarding the name Mountbatten-Windsor. A way to assure Prince Henrik that his name would live on in the royal family.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Moved the discussion from the Jack's Brooksbank thread.

Quote:
A unmarried Grevinde is a countess in her own right while the unmarried daughter of a Count is a komtesse. Officially, Isabella, Josephine and Athena are "Grevinde af Monpezat", thus the title is theirs in their own right and they can leave it to their children. AFAIK - I will look it up, so we can be sure.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I looked it up on their official website and they are comtesse not grevinde! So, just daughters of a count of Monpezat.

As apparently you aren't convinced that they use the correct titles on their official website I found the official press release. It explains that male descendants will be 'greve', their wives 'grevinde' and female descendants will carry the title 'komtesse', including the example of Henrik's than only granddaughter Isabella. It's noteworthy that they used a different word for the male descendants (who will contine the title) vs female descendants (who will only 'carry' the title). It also references acfording to the current regulations. I wonder whether that was added to make sure that if Denmark at some point makes nobility titles herdeitary in both male and female, this would also apply to this title. Another requirement for passing on the title is a lawful marriage.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It also references acfording to the current regulations. I wonder whether that was added to make sure that if Denmark at some point makes nobility titles herdeitary in both male and female, this would also apply to this title. Another requirement for passing on the title is a lawful marriage.
So at the moment Danish nobility titles are never hereditary in the female line?
Would it have been possible for Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik to make the Monpezat title herederitary regardless of gender despite that costum?
Old 10-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Queen Margrethe only did that because it was discovered that the Monpezat comital title was an assumed one and that even the family´s noble status rested on shaky ground. As it happened it turned out to be perfectly timed with her husband becoming more outspoken about his feelings about his royal title. In a way, to me, it seems this was a Danish version of the British declaration regarding the name Mountbatten-Windsor. A way to assure Prince Henrik that his name would live on in the royal family.
I have always seen this as the Danish version of the Dutch example (graaf / gravin Van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg) to distinguish the main line which will procreate as HRH Prince/Princess of Denmark (Margrethe - Frederik - Christian) from the junior lines which will procreate in the comital family de Monpezat. Very much alike the comital family of Rosenborg.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I have always seen this as the Danish version of the Dutch example (graaf / gravin Van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg) to distinguish the main line which will procreate as HRH Prince/Princess of Denmark (Margrethe - Frederik - Christian) from the junior lines which will procreate in the comital family de Monpezat. Very much alike the comital family of Rosenborg.

But Christian is also a "greve af Monpezat" as will be his sons. We don't know yet if Joachim's grandchildren in male line will also be princes/princesses or just counts/countesses of Monpezat.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Royal Highness

Jack Brooksbank: Is there a Title in his future?

Quote:

The biggest difference being that at least so far the eventual founders of a future comital family of Monpezat are still Prince and styled HRH and HH.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I cannot see the Danish royal family having concerns about the possible legal shakiness of a foreign title (I have only heard about the courtesy titles being assumed, not the noble status as such), because the Danish monarchy addresses the queen's sister and her family by Greek royal titles which long ago became illegal according to Greek law. (However, if there is a source which mentions it, I would appreciate a reference, in the "New Titles for Queen Margrethe's Descendants: May 2008" topic. New Titles for Queen Margrethe's Descendants: May 2008) I would speculate that Prince Henrik requested for his male-line descendants to carry his family name and title.

Quote:
But the Rosenborg lines are not Rosenborgs because they are junior lines, but because they are descendants from unapproved marriages.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Courtier

Here is a link to the text of the press release of April 30 2008, which Somebody's source posted in image form.

Pressemeddelelse

Amalienborg, den 30. april 2008

Hendes Majestæt Dronningen har besluttet, at Hans Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsen samt Hans Kongelige Højhed Prins Joachim tillægges titel af ’greve af Monpezat’. Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mary samt Hans Kongelige Højhed Prins Joachims kommende ægtefælle frk. Marie Cavallier vil som følge heraf føre titlen ’grevinde af Monpezat’.

Titlen føres endvidere af efterkommere født i lovligt ægteskab, i overensstemmelse med de almindelige regler, der gælder herom, hvilket vil sige, at titlen ’greve af Monpezat’ videreføres af mandlige descendenter, medens kvindelige descendenter fører titlen ’komtesse af Monpezat’.

Der er tale om en ny, yderligere titel der kan anvendes i tilknytning til de eksisterende. Titlen berører ikke de nugældende prædikater. Navn og titel vil herefter i kort form eksempelvis kunne være:

. Hans Kongelige Højhed Kronprins Frederik, greve af Monpezat
. Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mary, grevinde af Monpezat
. Hans Kongelige Højhed Prins Christian, greve af Monpezat
. Hendes Kongelige Højhed Prinsesse Isabella, komtesse af Monpezat

Eventuelle henvendelser på denne pressemeddelelse bedes rettet til Kabinetssekretariatet på telefon 3340 2484.

Henning Fode
Hendes Majestæt Dronningens Kabinetssekretær