Members of the Royal Family and Line of Succession - Broadest Sense

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrhcp

Royal Highness
Country
Canada
The "official window of Denmark":

http://www.denmark.dk/

says

The Members of the Royal House

In a narrow sense, the royal house today consists of Queen Margrethe II, the Royal Consort Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik and his fiancée .... and Prince Joachim, his spouse Princess Alexandra and their two sons Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix, as well as Princess Benedikte and her spouse and Princess Elisabeth. These persons may not travel abroad or enter into marriage without the permission of the Queen.

I find it interesting that it makes reference to a "narrow sense".

Who are all the members of the Royal House are in a "wider sense" ?
And who ranks above whom ?

Who is "Princess Elizabeth", and how is she related to the Queen ?

I believe that "Princess Elizabeth" is a first cousin to HM the Queen. Princess Elizabeth is the daughter of Prince Knud[he was the brother of HM's father]
I think that she is concidered to be a member of the extended Royal family.

Thank your for sharing with me TOMMIX, where Princess Elizabeth fits in.

Does Princess Elizabeth have family ?

Princess Elisabeth of Denmark is her Majesty's first cousin. Her father was Prince Knud of Denmark (one time the hereditary prince), brother of the late King Frederick. Her mother was the late Princess Caroline Mathilde, who was a cousin of King Frederick (and of her husband), and a Princess of Denmark by birth. Princess Elisabeth has to brothers, Counts Ingolf and Christian. They are known as Counts of Rosenberg due to their non-dyanstic marriages & are no longer in the line of succession. Conversely, Princess Elisabeth is.

Sean

Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 20th, 2003 - 5:23 pm
Thank your for sharing with me TOMMIX, where Princess Elizabeth fits in.

Does Princess Elizabeth have family ?
According to the Online Gotha: Princess Elizabeth has never been married and has no issue.

She has a long time partner, however, they have never married. He was quoted as saying that it would not be fair for her to lose her title by marrying him. So they haven't.

S.~

polfoto.dk

A picture of Princess Elizabeth:

Attachments

• dk_los_pe_ch079117_guest.jpg
    dk_los_pe_ch079117_guest.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,464
polfoto.dk

Princess Benedikte

Attachments

• dk_los_pb_ch079117_guest.jpg
    dk_los_pb_ch079117_guest.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,383
a bigger picuter of ELisabeth

Attachments

• Elisabeth.jpg
    Elisabeth.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,712
What about princess Anne-Marie and her sons?

I think the members of the close royal family are those with a right to the throne. If not? Then wouldn't the counts of Rosenberg be on it? As well as Queen Anne-Marie?

http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/dk-suc-law.html A site that discusses the Danish line of succession.

make sure that a dynast maintains a connection with Denmark and, e.g., does not  come under the authority of foreign powers (Sørensen 1973: 61).
I believe that this excludes Queen Anne-Marie and her offspring. Of course this is just me assuming...

The site above also states that Princess Benedikte's offspring's rights in the succesion. There was some debate when the two Princesses applied for Danish citizenship in 1997, as you have to be Danish in order to have a place in the succesion. But since they'd failed to apply when they turned 18, they are Danish, but don't have any immediate rights to the throne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Sean.~@Oct 20th, 2003 - 5:29 pm
She has a long time partner, however, they have never married. He was quoted as saying that it would not be fair for her to lose her title by marrying him. So they haven't.

S.~
why does she need to lose her title on marriage when Princess Benedikte still keeps hers ?

why does she need to lose her title on marriage when Princess Benedikte still keeps hers ? [/b]
Princess Benedikte didn't marry a commoner... she married a prince.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Line of Succession to the Danish Throne:

1. HRH Crown Prince Frederik
2. HRH Prince Joachim
3. HH Prince Nikolai
4. HH Prince Felix
5. HRH Princess Benedikte
6. HH Princess Elisabeth

alola said:
What about princess Anne-Marie and her sons?

Anne-Marie married the then King of the Hellenes. This took her out of the line of succession and that includes her issues.

norwegianne said:
The site above also states that Princess Benedikte's offspring's rights in the succesion. There was some debate when the two Princesses applied for Danish citizenship in 1997, as you have to be Danish in order to have a place in the succesion. But since they'd failed to apply when they turned 18, they are Danish, but don't have any immediate rights to the throne.

That is correct. Also, at the time of marriage it was stipulated that for the Sayn-Wiitegenstein children to be in the succession they would have to be educated in Denmark from the age of five. They weren't, AFAIK.

I wonder where Frederik and Mary fit in in the British Line of Succession, anyone know?

Can the Queen, or the next ruler, declare the Berleburg Children HH, Prince/Princess of Denmark? And if so, would they be know as HH Prince Gustav of Denmark and Sayn Wittgenstein Berleburg? Has there ever been a precedent with another ruler and princely family?

michelleq said:
Can the Queen, or the next ruler, declare the Berleburg Children HH, Prince/Princess of Denmark? And if so, would they be know as HH Prince Gustav of Denmark and Sayn Wittgenstein Berleburg? Has there ever been a precedent with another ruler and princely family?

he only one I could recall is if the person was from ruling families. With the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, I would think that the higher of the two (or more) ranks would become the "surname" of the person, not both. For example, because Princess Caroline married Ernst August of Hanover and is a HRH, she's not primarily known as HSH Princess Caroline of Monaco, but rather, HRH Princess Caroline of Hanover, nee Princess of Monaco.

Granting Titles

michelleq said:
Has there ever been a precedent with another ruler and princely family?
This sort of thing used to be more common in the past, especially within the German Houses. But there are "modern" examples:

When the Swedish Princes had to renounce their rights of succession and styles and titles as Princes of Sweden and assume the surname of Bernadotte on their "unequal" marriages, other monarchs stepped in to raise therm in rank.

Grand Duke Adolphe of Luxembourg created the former Prince Oscar "Count of Wisborg" in 1892;

Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg created the former Princes Lennart, Sigvard and Carl Johan "Count Bernadotte of Wisborg" in 1951;

Leopold III, King of the Belgians, created the former Prince Carl "Prince Bernadotte" in 1937.

Thank you all for the answers. I think that it is somewhat unfair that Princess Benedikte's children are only HSH or HH in Denmark yet nothing else. Their mother is a member of the Royal Family and acts as Regent when required. Her children represent Denmark when necessary. (Moreso the girls) Even though Prince Richard declined the Title of Prince of Denmark at the time of the wedding (or sometimes therein) this should be amended.

I think these people, Gustav, Natalie and Alexandra, kind of ''belong'' to Berleburg and I can't see the point of making even more princes and princesses of Denmark.

For one, we can predict it's only natural that Joachim and his sons and former / future wives, will be somewhat phased out in an official context.

My personal interpretation: Princess Benedikte's participation / carrying out official duties has increased over recent years, because her children are grown-ups and she might get depressed / feel redundant if she sat in her castle in the middle of nowhere somewhere in Germany.

I've been puzzled that Benedikte and Richard really don't seem all that close. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a reflection on my behalf.

Besides, it would be odd if Queen Margrethe upgrade the Berleburg prince and princesses to HRH of Denmark without the consent of the government and putting them on the official apanage list. Which I honestly can't see happening.

They wouldn't have to be put on the apanage list, just be upgraded to Prince/Princess of Denmark.

michelleq said:
They wouldn't have to be put on the apanage list, just be upgraded to Prince/Princess of Denmark.
If they weren't needed to perform duties and thus in title to some kind of payment for it, what would be the point ??

You don't just appoint princes or princesses because you think it's cool. That belongs to the 18th century.

Does anyone have any pictures of Countess Ruth when she was younger, like a pic of her wedding to Prince Fleming that they could please share? And I read somewhere that they're marriage was not recognised so they were given the lesser titles of Count and Countess could someone please explain to me why that was? :)

Does anyone know how many member the Danish line of Succession included before 1953, when it was changed?

Daneborn said:
Besides, it would be odd if Queen Margrethe upgrade the Berleburg prince and princesses to HRH of Denmark without the consent of the government and putting them on the official apanage list. Which I honestly can't see happening.

And even the children of HRH Prince Joachim don't have the Royal Highness style..

Back
Top Bottom