The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2005, 03:54 AM
Administrator

Granting Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq
Has there ever been a precedent with another ruler and princely family?
This sort of thing used to be more common in the past, especially within the German Houses. But there are "modern" examples:

When the Swedish Princes had to renounce their rights of succession and styles and titles as Princes of Sweden and assume the surname of Bernadotte on their "unequal" marriages, other monarchs stepped in to raise therm in rank.

Grand Duke Adolphe of Luxembourg created the former Prince Oscar "Count of Wisborg" in 1892;

Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg created the former Princes Lennart, Sigvard and Carl Johan "Count Bernadotte of Wisborg" in 1951;

Leopold III, King of the Belgians, created the former Prince Carl "Prince Bernadotte" in 1937.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Thank you all for the answers. I think that it is somewhat unfair that Princess Benedikte's children are only HSH or HH in Denmark yet nothing else. Their mother is a member of the Royal Family and acts as Regent when required. Her children represent Denmark when necessary. (Moreso the girls) Even though Prince Richard declined the Title of Prince of Denmark at the time of the wedding (or sometimes therein) this should be amended.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Aristocracy

I think these people, Gustav, Natalie and Alexandra, kind of ''belong'' to Berleburg and I can't see the point of making even more princes and princesses of Denmark.

For one, we can predict it's only natural that Joachim and his sons and former / future wives, will be somewhat phased out in an official context.

My personal interpretation: Princess Benedikte's participation / carrying out official duties has increased over recent years, because her children are grown-ups and she might get depressed / feel redundant if she sat in her castle in the middle of nowhere somewhere in Germany.

I've been puzzled that Benedikte and Richard really don't seem all that close. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a reflection on my behalf.

Besides, it would be odd if Queen Margrethe upgrade the Berleburg prince and princesses to HRH of Denmark without the consent of the government and putting them on the official apanage list. Which I honestly can't see happening.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Courtier

They wouldn't have to be put on the apanage list, just be upgraded to Prince/Princess of Denmark.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq
They wouldn't have to be put on the apanage list, just be upgraded to Prince/Princess of Denmark.
If they weren't needed to perform duties and thus in title to some kind of payment for it, what would be the point ??

You don't just appoint princes or princesses because you think it's cool. That belongs to the 18th century.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Commoner

Does anyone have any pictures of Countess Ruth when she was younger, like a pic of her wedding to Prince Fleming that they could please share? And I read somewhere that they're marriage was not recognised so they were given the lesser titles of Count and Countess could someone please explain to me why that was? :)

Old 10-28-2006, 12:24 PM

Is this guy a member of the extended family? He is a prince of somewhere, maybe a German house, right?
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs3...denmark352.jpg (worldroots of course)
Old 10-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
Is this guy a member of the extended family? He is a prince of somewhere, maybe a German house, right?
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs3...denmark352.jpg (worldroots of course)
That's [Crown] Prince Kardam of Bulgaria, and his wife Miriam.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know how many member the Danish line of Succession included before 1953, when it was changed?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneborn

Besides, it would be odd if Queen Margrethe upgrade the Berleburg prince and princesses to HRH of Denmark without the consent of the government and putting them on the official apanage list. Which I honestly can't see happening.
And even the children of HRH Prince Joachim don't have the Royal Highness style..
Old 10-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricota
Does anyone know how many member the Danish line of Succession included before 1953, when it was changed?
Prior to that it was limited to male descendants of Christian IX, I believe. And I also believe that Haakon/Carl, relinquished the rights for himself and his descendants when he accepted the Norwegian throne.

magnik posted this link in a thread: (when I'd gone a bit off-topic and speculated on where we'd be today if the constitution hadn't changed and if Haakon/Carl hadn't relinquished his rights.) http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...lde-10737.html

The line to the Danish succession through the times: http://members.fortunecity.com/succe...s/denmark.html
Quote:
24 May 1949-27 Mar 1953

01. HRH Knud Hereditary Prince of Denmark
02. HH Ingold Prince of Denmark
03. HH Christian Prince of Denmark
04. HH Gorm Prince of Denmark
05. HH Aage Prince of Denmark
06. HH Axel Prince of Denmark
07. HH Georg Prince of Denmark
08. HM Paul King of the Hellenes, Prince of Denmark
09. HRH Constantine Crown Prince of Greece, Prince of Denmark
10. HRH George Prince of Greece and Denmark
11. HRH Peter Prince of Greece and Denmark
(12. HRH Philip Prince of Greece and Denmark, Duke of Edinburgh
13. HRH Charles Prince of Greece and Denmark, Prince of Edinburgh (since 6 Feb 1952: Prince of Greece and Denmark, Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay )
14/15 HRH Michael Prince of Greece and Denmark
Granted, a whole lot of people would have to die before the throne would've passed to Phillip. But it's one of the interesting things of thinking "what if... "
Old 10-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightRhapsody
he only one I could recall is if the person was from ruling families. With the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, I would think that the higher of the two (or more) ranks would become the "surname" of the person, not both. For example, because Princess Caroline married Ernst August of Hanover and is a HRH, she's not primarily known as HSH Princess Caroline of Monaco, but rather, HRH Princess Caroline of Hanover, nee Princess of Monaco.
I don't know how that is in Monaco, but here in Germany she is HSH Caroline princess of Hanover while her husband is Ernst August, prince of Hanover as we don't have titles and styles anymore but recognize those of foreign countries like Monaco eg. Thus Ernst-August's style of a HRH is not recognized officially within Germany and thus no sharing of this non-existing style with his wife. I'm not sure Albert could create his sister a HRH as he himself is just HSH. Ernst-August could apply to the British crown for a recognition of his (British) style as HRH but I'm not sure he would get it.

In analogy the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg have no tile and no style apart from princess Benedikte's Danish one, they only have a right to use the former title prince/princess as part of their name as any normal German citizens - we only have "normal" citizens here plus people who have a right to an academic title.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
The Line of Succession to the Danish Throne:

1. HRH Crown Prince Frederik
2. HRH Prince Joachim
3. HH Prince Nikolai
4. HH Prince Felix
5. HRH Princess Benedikte
6. HH Princess Elisabeth
The line of succession to the Danish throne has been changed to accommodate HRH Prince Christian after HRH Crown Prince Frederik but before HRH Prince Joachim.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Courtier

This line of succession is once again is changing because we all know Crown Princess Mary is pregnant this is what it looks like now.
1.HRH Crown Prince Fredrik
2.Prince Christian
3. Unborn child of Crown Prince Fredrik and Crown Princess Mary
4.Prince Joachim
5.Prince Nikolai
6.Prince Felix
7.Princess Benedikte
8.Princess Elisabeth

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 01-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Aristocracy

You can tell whether or not they are in line to the throne by looking at the title.

Usually is said that Frederik is Crownprince of Denmark, but he is really not. He is Crownprince to Denmark. Same with for instance Felix. He is Prince to Denmark. Not Prince of Denmark.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargreteI
You can tell whether or not they are in line to the throne by looking at the title.

Usually is said that Frederik is Crownprince of Denmark, but he is really not. He is Crownprince to Denmark. Same with for instance Felix. He is Prince to Denmark. Not Prince of Denmark.
What I find interersting in that difference is that Benedikte, Elisabeth, Anne-Marie & Margrethe were all born Princesses of Denmark, as all of them were born prior to the constitution change, afterwards they all became Princesses to Denmark
Old 01-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargreteI

Indeed, but aren't Mary and Alexandra 'of Denmark??'
Old 01-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
Indeed, but aren't Mary and Alexandra 'of Denmark??'
Yes, from which we can read that they're not in line to the throne.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Commoner

Danish Succession Line

Can somebody explain to me how the Danish sucession works. Is Isabella third in line to the throne? if they ever have another prince, would he be third in sucession and Isabella fourth?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Commoner

Smile

she is in 3rd right now after her dad and her brother....the law has not been changed as of yet to allow succession through all heir regardless of sex...but i think it has been voted on unanimously but before it is passed, the bill must also be voted through the next parliament, before being submitted to a change it lawfully and Isabella should stay 3rd no matter how many boys Mary and Fred might have. I am pretty sure that is how it is going now:)

Tags
danish royals, line of succession