Marriage to Commoners in Denmark

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's for Frederik X to decide. Personally, I think he will allow marriage to Danish commoners (like the king of Sweden and Norway before him eventually did as well) - although like many other monarchs, he might encourage especially Christian to find a foreign wife as she will have less history in Denmark.

I would say King Frederik would encourage him to find someone he loves. In this day and age, one's history cannot be concealed like it was 25-30 years ago. Being foreign doesn't give you that immunity thanks to social media. And you just need to look at current monarchs and their heirs: Felipe married a commoner from Spain, as did his sisters; Victoria married a a commoner from Sweden, as did her brother and her sister was engaged to one; Prince William is married to a commoner from the UK, as did the King, uncles and aunt; Harald and Haakon married commoners from Norway.

I cannot imagine the Danish people being too happy if their King deny the next Danish King marrying a Danish commoner

Last edited:
I would say King Frederik would encourage him to find someone he loves. In this day and age, one's history cannot be concealed like it was 25-30 years ago. Being foreign doesn't give you that immunity thanks to social media. And you just need to look at current monarchs and their heirs: Felipe married a commoner from Spain, as did his sisters; Victoria married a a commoner from Sweden, as did her brother and her sister was engaged to one; Prince William is married to a commoner from the UK, as did the King, uncles and aunt; Harald and Haakon married commoners from Norway.

I cannot imagine the Danish people being too happy if their King deny the next Danish King marrying a Danish commoner
And all of those spouses you’ve mentioned have received lots of scrutiny some of it fairly and some of it not fair. Madeline married an American. Camilla isn’t a commoner, she’s from landed gentry.

And all of those spouses you’ve mentioned have received lots of scrutiny some of it fairly and some of it not fair. Madeline married an American. Camilla isn’t a commoner, she’s from landed gentry.

You have to be titled not to be a commoner. And being a foreigner doesn't protect you from scrutiny so it isn’t an advantage over being from the same country (unless the entire dating happens in the other country perhaps). And currently people are more aware of the national backgrounds of the royal families so I would imagine it would be popular in Denmark someone Danish to marry into the family.

You have to be titled not to be a commoner. And being a foreigner doesn't protect you from scrutiny so it isn’t an advantage over being from the same country (unless the entire dating happens in the other country perhaps). And currently people are more aware of the national backgrounds of the royal families so I would imagine it would be popular in Denmark someone Danish to marry into the family.
The point I was making was that one of out of the mentioned spouses was from the upper classes connected to the nobility. Which national backgrounds are you referring to because many of the ancestors of the royal families are not from the country they reign from anyways. If there was an issue with marrying foreigners then they would have been marrying Danes a long time ago.

We will see when Nikolai or Felix becomes engaged. I personally doubt that King Frederik X will deny consent to their marriages if the bride is a Danish commoner.

That's for Frederik X to decide. Personally, I think he will allow marriage to Danish commoners (like the king of Sweden and Norway before him eventually did as well) - although like many other monarchs, he might encourage especially Christian to find a foreign wife as she will have less history in Denmark.

As far as I understand, the issue is not so much that a Danish wife would have "more history" in Denmark, but rather that her Danish family could benefit or profit from a royal connection, creating a conflict of interest.

Last edited:
The point I was making was that one of out of the mentioned spouses was from the upper classes connected to the nobility. Which national backgrounds are you referring to because many of the ancestors of the royal families are not from the country they reign from anyways. If there was an issue with marrying foreigners then they would have been marrying Danes a long time ago.

At the end of the day, Camilla is a commoner, who descends from aristocratic families. Same as Sarah Ferguson.

QMII and her sisters all married titled and foreign men. Neither of QMII's sons married aristocratic women; they are all foreign and commoners. Unheard of for a Crown Prince of Denmark. If such a change is palatable for QMII, it'll be palatable for King Frederik X to approve a marriage of any of his children to a Danish commoner

At the end of the day, Camilla is a commoner, who descends from aristocratic families. Same as Sarah Ferguson.

QMII and her sisters all married titled and foreign men. Neither of QMII's sons married aristocratic women; they are all foreign and commoners. Unheard of for a Crown Prince of Denmark. If such a change is palatable for QMII, it'll be palatable for King Frederik X to approve a marriage of any of his children to a Danish commoner

QMII's sisters married "equally" into foreign sovereign (or formerly sovereign) families, respectively a (mediatized) princely family and a (reigning at the time) royal family. Margrethe herself, somewhat surprisingly as she was the heir, married a French commoner or, if you prefer, a false/ pretend aristocrat.

Frederik X belongs to a different generation from either his mother or his grandfather. As I said, I would be surprised if consenting to marriages with local commoners would be an issue for him, especially after we have seen those kinds of marriages, as mentioned by other posters, in Norway, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

Last edited:
And even Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, Lady Diana Spencer and Lady Alice Montague-Douglas-Scott were legally commoners in the UK

Harald and Haakon married commoners from Norway.

And Princess Martha Louise too (Ari Behn).

Queen Mathilde, although half-Polish, was born and raised in Belgium.

Brothers of King Willem-Alexander also married Dutch commoners.

Former wife of Prince Louis of Luxemburg (and mother of his children) was also born and raised in Luxemburg.

The King of Sweden , the King of Norway married communors who are great Queens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom