State Visit from Iceland to Denmark: January 24-26, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingen

Serene Highness
City
Kristianstad
Country
Sweden
Upon the invitation of Her Majesty the Queen, the President of Iceland, H.E. Guðni Th. Jóhannesson and Mrs. Eliza Jean Reid will pay a state visit to Denmark in 24-26 January 2017.

The program will be announced closer to the state visit.

Press release from the Royal Court:
Statsbesøg fra Island | Kongehuset

:previous: thank you. Looking forward to it.

It looks like there will not be a greeting at the airport. And as it has been for the past years, Frederik and Mary will have the majority of the events with the presidential couple.

short article on the upcoming state visit, highlighting the prominent role that Frederik and Mary take during state visits

Kronprinsesse Mary støtter svigermor under statsbesøg | BILLED-BLADET

"Queen Margrethe hosts the Icelandic President Guðni Th. Jóhannesson and his wife Eliza Jean Reid, when state visit Wednesday 25 and Thursday January 26th.
But both Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik will also very much in action."

That's because the Presidential Couple already arrived in Copenhagen on Monday afternoon to be fresh for today.
Regentparret bød velkommen på Amalienborg | BILLED-BLADET

I see. thank you :flowers:
the Queen looks great in white

this room looks amazing, Queen's Library, Christiansborg Palace.
http://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/...blic/20170124-134714-l_47mb.jpg?itok=wP8E8mvv

Regarding the presentation of the Icelandic people's gift later today
http://kongehuset.dk/nyheder/overraekkelse-af-islands-folkegave
retranslation of the total Icelandic sagas, of which the Queen wrote the preface for
"The preface to the work written by the Queen, who among other things wrote: "The Icelandic sagas is one of Scandinavia's most significant contribution to world literature. In Denmark they have played a particularly important role as a source of the ancient Norsemen history, and they have from a very early time formed a community in the North and linked the Nordic people together. "

Last edited:
Will we be able to watch the banquet live? If so, at what time and can someone provide a link?

this room looks amazing, Queen's Library, Christiansborg Palace.

wow, that room is indeed a beauty. how gorgeous. it is rare that we get pictures of the insides of palaces so i get super excited with pics like these.

Princess Benedikte - Queen Sophia’s Star and Pearl Tiara - I guess

Princess Marie - Princess Marie’s Diamond Floral Tiara

The Crown Princess - Mary’s Diamond Necklace Tiara

i quickly tuned into the speeches of the state banquet.

all the royal ladies (the queen, mary and marie) seem to be wearing black (or very dark colours) - shame, as it looks like quite a sad occasion when it should be a joyous, historical one. at least benedikte wore one of her red frocks :)

the president of iceland seemed to have spoken in a scandinavian language (i don't know if it was icelandic or danish). usually the president in state visits speaks in his own language yet it sounded as if all the people attending could understand him (including the royal family). does the president speak danish and thus did his speech in danish or can icelandic be understood if you are a danish speaker?

:previous:
The president speaks danish, he along with almost everyone in Iceland was taught danish in primary and high school.

:previous:
The president speaks danish, he along with almost everyone in Iceland was taught danish in primary and high school.

The King of Denmark, of course, was also the King of Iceland until 1944 when Iceland became an independent republic.

The King of Denmark, of course, was also the King of Iceland until 1944 when Iceland became an independent republic.

I should say he speaks with a very heavy accent though :whistling:

Everyone looks great! I just love CP Mary's hair, makeup, and jewels beautiful!!

When I saw the first pix of this dinner I thought someone had died. 2 princesses in black - at a State Dinner! I thought for one moment the Queen had joined in but it turned out to be dark green.

Thank goodness for Benedicte!

Deeply disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom