The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Just to make an unrelated comparison , Spanish and Portuguese are somewhat like Swedish and Danish in the sense of being different from each other, but generally mutually intelligible; however, very few Spaniards actually learn Portuguese formally or can speak it (King Felipe VI BTW is an exception to that rule). Conversely, there are comparatively more Portuguese speakers who can also speak Spanish, but they tend to learn it more or less on their own (out of necessity) rather than learning it formally.

Going back to Scandinavia and the Queen's remarks, as I understand it, Danish and standard written Norwegian are practically the same language, but how many Danes actually learn Swedish at school and vice-versa ?
Thanks.

I guess TV is the big educator? Many Portuguese watching Spanish TV I assume?

Back in the Bronze-Age when I went to school, we learned some very basic Norwegian and Swedish. Mainly as an introduction into Scandinavian classic literature and folklore. But there is precious little of that nowadays.
Most Copenhageners understand and read Swedish very well and speak Swedish to at least some degree. While we who live in Jutland and Funen can understand and read Swedish. Those who live in Northern Jutland and Southern Jutland tend to understand Norwegian and German respectively very well. TV again being the big influence.

An interesting difference between Swedish and Danish is the numbers.
In Danish we follow the German way of saying say 54 as: four and fifty. While Swedes say: fifty and four. That's one of the most common causes for confusion I think.

Tags
denmark, iceland, state visit, state visit to denmark